• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pete has a new article on his site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete has a new article on his site

Hi All:

Pete Ramey has put up a new article on his site which I think is really interesting (yup I know, I'm biased). Here is the link http://www.hoofrehab.com/coronet.htm

Now Tree, I'd really like it if you would read it and then if we could have a discussion about trimming the sole techniques that you do.

There is a series of 4 photos near the end of the article and I would really like to discuss them with you in regards to your trimming (following internal structures, etc)

Of course this is a feral hoof so the sole is much thicker than we normally see, which really should make some things more obvious for us

Look forward to your thoughts and anyone elses as well.

Regards,
  • Original Poster

That is about right Two Simple but remember these are Feral Feet, imagine how much more it is to the domestic thinner soled hoof.

Regards,

Comment

wow, neat article

made me think of kip's crooked front right leg and how the crookedness of the limb affects what's happening in the hoof...
      http://www.eponashoe.com/
      TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

Wow. Those pictures are ...vivid. Especially the last 4 re sole depth. Also I had no idea that coronets could move so much.
        SportHorseRiders.com
        Taco Blog
        *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Kim. Good stuff.

--Gwen (caballus)
          --Gwen <><
          "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
          http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

Originally posted by irishcas View Post
            Now Tree, I'd really like it if you would read it and then if we could have a discussion about trimming the sole techniques that you do.
            To be honest, reading the title of this thread wasn't enough to peak my curiosity. So I wouldn't have read this personal invite to read the article. It was because you went to the other thread and posted that I did go and read the article.

I'd be curious about what the Farriers would have to say about this article too...oh and others who trim, of course.

There is a series of 4 photos near the end of the article and I would really like to discuss them with you in regards to your trimming (following internal structures, etc)

Of course this is a feral hoof so the sole is much thicker than we normally see, which really should make some things more obvious for us

Look forward to your thoughts and anyone elses as well.

Regards,
            I find it interesting that someone who says they stay away from "always and never" strays into those very areas anyway. This would apply to specific measurements given to use and assuming they are all that accurate.

And I did keep in mind that the examples used were taken from a wild horse (or horses) and reflect the hoof form that they develope according to the conditions they existed under shortly before death. The feral hoof provided by Cheryl Henderson showed a noteworth change in the hoof wall just below the coronary band. Of course we don't know what brought it about.

In the photo showing the coffin bone (marked in blue) and the lateral cartilage (marked in green), I'm surprised that the cartilage attachment involves the extensor process. I would've liked to have seen a photo clearly showing this...with the skin covering the entire cartilage removed. The thickness of sole is consistent with harsh terrain wild horse hooves.

The photos showing where Pete is pressing on the exposed coronet causes me to wonder what the differences of motion would be if this were compared to attempting to do the same with the hoof capsule still in place. A great many soft structures flex more when exposed.

Now on to the last series of photos...again we're looking at a hoof taken from a wild horse so the sole is very thick along with other structures...noted in the rear of the foot. As to where the red lines have been drawn, I have NEVER seen anyone trim the heels so low as to include the bulbs. That first illustration seems to suggest this. This is not a very good example, IMO of hitting blood in that area. I think a less healthier hoof should have been used instead. I don't know of any experienced or trained trimmers or farriers trimming to that extreme.

In the 2nd example, if someone were to trim in that manner, the hairline would be ground parallel. Hitting blood in the toe in that manner would mean severely over shortening the wall to either side of the toe center. Again, I don't know of anyone who trims in that manner.

And the last example would likely be committed by someone who went well beyond where they should while bringing the outer walls down to the levels of the sole...and then some. Again, I don't know of anyone who trims in this manner. There would no longer be any heel horn to support the horse. The bulbs would be actively weighted.

These illustrations are not very useful, IMO. They don't really illustrate what happens when blood is hit.

Tree

Comment

Pete's learning hoof anatomy? 'Bout time.
              Visit my barefoot blog:
              http://barefoothoofcare.wordpress.com/
              "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Comment

Originally posted by Lookout View Post
                Pete's learning hoof anatomy? 'Bout time.
                That was a petty comment!
                --Gwen <><
                "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
                http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

Responding to this post over here rather than in the impossible club foot thread.

Hey Tree:

Back to the issues at hand I posted that Pete had a new article on his site and it does seem to pertain to your trimming style. Have you had a chance to read it and would you mind commenting on it and what you think about the photos compared to your trimming style.
                  The only things that seemed to pertain to my style of trimming were the mention of thinning sole in the regions of the heels. But that was being very general vs specific.

When he started off the article with toe lengths and heel heights, those are not consistent with my style of trimming or my studies of the Strasser methods either. The only time I've read toe lengths of 3" to 3.5" was within Jaime Jackson's books and that had more to do with his findings when measuring freshly mustered wild horses taken from harsh terrains.

Are you purposely ignoring it? I know you said you have hard time reading his articles but this one is short and sweet with lots and lots of pix

I am really looking forward to your comments.

Regards,
                  It was still somewhat difficult to read the article and a relief to see pics but there could've been more pics used to illustrate the things Pete was going for. The views given were better at illustrating a lateral view of intact hooves and limited views of partially dissected ones and limited views of one(?), having the entire hoof capsule removed.

My difficulties stem from reading more theories which don't necessarily agree with those that I go along with.

Tree
                  Last edited by Tree; Dec. 3, 2006, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caballus View Post
                    That was a petty comment!
                    If he demonstrated a knowledge of anatomy, you could say that. Since he has repeatedly demonstrated an ignorance of anatomy, I don't think so. It's pretty irresponsible to "teach" others something you yourself don't know, as well as criticize others' work based on your own ignorance. It's a good thing he's starting to learn.
                    Visit my barefoot blog:
                    "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Comment

Aagh!

why? Why? Why?

I'll post pix of his pix to explain further. But a very glaring mis informative folderol statement he claims about coronet band movement and his demo pix :

Um - where is the hoof? Gone! And so is any stabilization to the coronet band. Now, that being properly noted; the coronet band generates the hoof wall. The hoof wall grows downward from the coronet band. When the hoof wall gets to the ground (or doesn't) only then will the coronet band become "deformed"!

To use his phraseology: "Wrap your brain around that!"

Regards,
                      Kim H.
                      Regards,
                      Kim H.
                      P.S:
                      my fat farrier fingers don't type well, and this keyboard mises keystrokestoo so typos are inevitable - I am not iventing a new language or butchering the old. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Forgewizard View Post
                        Um - where is the hoof? Gone! And so is any stabilization to the coronet band. "Wrap your brain around that!"

Regards,
                        Kim H.
                        Precisely...no hoof capsule so the demo only shows what happens if there is no hoof capsule. What living horse (without enough happy drugs) is going to be a living example of this?

Tree

Comment

tree says:
                          Precisely...no hoof capsule so the demo only shows what happens if there is no hoof capsule. What living horse (without enough happy drugs) is going to be a living example of this?
                          What's your point Tree?

I maintain that Ramey's coronet deflection demo is insignificant, irrelevant and totally has no bearing on how to trim a hoof. If I rip off my fingernail (hoof) I too can manipulate the cuticle (coronet) - so what? If the cuticle gets damaged from trauma or nutritional defects the resultant horn will grow in deformed.

Regards,
                          Kim H.
                          Regards,
                          Kim H.
                          P.S:
                          my fat farrier fingers don't type well, and this keyboard mises keystrokestoo so typos are inevitable - I am not iventing a new language or butchering the old. Sorry

Comment

How petty of you Kim.
                            Take the bearing wall or column away - the floor caves in. Surprise! I am reminded of why I can never get through these "articles".
                            Last edited by Lookout; Dec. 3, 2006, 09:31 PM.
                            Visit my barefoot blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Forgewizard View Post
                              What's your point Tree?

I maintain that Ramey's coronet deflection demo is insignificant, irrelevant and totally has no bearing on how to trim a hoof.
                              Regards,
                              Kim H.
                              My point was that the photo only shows what it shows...no more, no less.

I agree that it has no bearing on how to trim a hoof.

Tree

Comment

• Original Poster

Tree:

Don't you think that you and the Strasserites are trimming like the last row of pictures, photo #2?

The only difference is that this horse would withstand the removal of sole/bar (at first) better than most domestics that you and Strasserites trim?

This is exactly what you do to the bottom of the feet isn't it?
                                If not please explain the difference.

I can't believe you people, including Forge why are getting hung up on the flexiblity of the coronet band. Talk about fogging the issues.

There are many messages to be taken from this article. I recommend it be read more than once as I "get" something new each time I do. Two things that really stick out for me are
                                1. Don't thin the sole.
                                2. Balance of the foot is not static and is not done on concrete. Many depends in there.

To the sole thinning this really sticks out.
                                Pete wrote:
                                In none of these cases is it even remotely correct to thin the sole to achieve "proper" wall lengths. That would just add insult to injury. The wall length (at heel or toe) should be the very last thing we judge or act upon, but so often people attack it first at the expense of the sole. Why? There are hundreds of different books that teach us to do so!
                                Regarding balance Pete wrote:
                                A hoof that usually hits the ground slightly crooked because of an angular deformity or body issue will adjust its lateral cartilages accordingly. Also, a perfectly straight-legged horse can make such adjustments due to its most common work. For instance at the trot, a horse should impact the ground with its hind limbs 'underneath himself' (like a tightrope walker). Horses that usually work at the trot (endurance horses, trotters...) will develop lateral cartilages that are in a lower position on the inside (or from the trimmer's perspective; the hoof will appear longer on the inside) so that both heels hit the ground simultaneously during this movement. This is a good thing and should be allowed and embraced by the trimmer.
                                This is why horses should not have all feet balanced by set measurements!

I see some B***Hing about how I don't balance the feet in my photos. Well DUH, they are balanced for each foot at that moment in time. Over time the balance that the horse wants emerges and I listen to that. We professionals should all do that and then there would be a lot more happy horses - shod and barefoot.

Okay don't want to go on too long so I can eliminate all the cutting and pasting. Will discuss more in another post

Regards,

Comment

I can't believe you people, including Forge why are getting hung up on the flexiblity of the coronet band. Talk about fogging the issues. ,
                                  Now I've not posted so far as I wasn't at all interested in the article. But I've got to say if there's horse **** about flexibility at the coronet band its difficult to get past there and have any credence or interest in the rest of the stuff there.

Over time the balance that the horse wants emerges and I listen to that.
                                  Got to say this sort of sentimental vagueness totally turns me off - indeed makes me absolutely snort with laughter.

Comment

Tree:

Don't you think that you and the Strasserites are trimming like the last row of pictures, photo #2?
                                    You mean down to where the red line was drawn? No. With regards to the position of the coffin bone relative to the ground surface, we do aim for a ground parallel coffin bone. And if we were trimming hooves like those, we would definitely not be trimming a hoof that short. Hell, according to where that line crosses a bulb, the heel height would be zero. Strasser doesn't have a 0 in her heel height range. For healthy hooves, the heel height range is 3-4cm's measured NOT from the hairline but from where the lateral cartilage turns and goes down into the hoof.

The only difference is that this horse would withstand the removal of sole/bar (at first) better than most domestics that you and Strasserites trim?
                                    You'd be assuming that it needed trimming in the first place. Without seeing how well the hoof was functioning to begin with, I cannot speculate about trimming it or what sort of trim it needed.

This is exactly what you do to the bottom of the feet isn't it?
                                    If not please explain the difference.
                                    If you are still referring to how the red line was positioned in the last photo, no, that is not exactly as I do the bottom of the feet. Those last series of photos don't even show a sole view. I can't exactly explain without something to compare to. However, I could offer a sole thickness amount of .25". The hoof model used was a wild horse and not a domestic but you'd already pointed this out before. It's hoof shape was created by natural wear and not a man-made trim. I respect it as an example of an abrasive terrain naturally worn hoof form.

I can't believe you people, including Forge why are getting hung up on the flexiblity of the coronet band. Talk about fogging the issues.
                                    Well uh I believe it was Pete's point to show how flexible the coronet band was in his example. Speaking for myself, I would fully expect the coronet band to be more flexible without the hoof capsule in place.

There are many messages to be taken from this article. I recommend it be read more than once as I "get" something new each time I do. Two things that really stick out for me are
                                    1. Don't thin the sole.

2. Balance of the foot is not static and is not done on concrete. Many depends in there.
                                    No comment about why Pete says not to thin the sole but let's get down to this deal of balancing a hoof. In his example, which was rather odd, IMO, he was talking about taking a balanced hoof and then subjecting it to uneven footing and then asking where the balance was under those circumstances. Well, I believe balance is taught as it pertains to the horse's structures. The hoof capsule is designed to be flexible enough to handle the uneven footing and still prevent injury to the rest of the structures, hooves included.

To the sole thinning this really sticks out.
                                    Pete wrote:

Regarding balance Pete wrote:

This is why horses should not have all feet balanced by set measurements!
                                    And yet he then gives measurements concerning the bars and says that while each situation is different, every horse needs adquately thick and densely callused sole. However, this is a contradiction if you're now going to ignore the variety of situations. An example would be comparing the hooves of horses living on harsh terrains with those who are living on soft footing. There'll be differences in the hoof capsules due to the footing conditions. But all should have thick soles with callouses? Dissections of each would not show this to be true because hooves adapt according to the conditions.

To me, sole callous forms when the walls aren't doing their job. Even the wild horses hooves from abrasive footing have the sole nearest the WL actively weightbearing along with the inner most wall. From that area the outer walls are abraided and passive (rolled) and the sole is concave forming the bowl.

I see some B***Hing about how I don't balance the feet in my photos.
                                    It probably depends upon the person's perspective. If the hoof doesn't appear balanced to the limb, it would be off. But at any rate, without photos to show which feet you're talking about, I'm giving a general reply as to why anyone would say something about what they're seeing.

Tree

Comment

• Original Poster

Thomas you are such a sad sack.

Horses and their ability to communicate to us is such a gift and to think you have never opened it doesn't make me snort, it makes me sorry for you and your horses. Constantly throwing out that it is twaddle and sentimental doesn't make it less, just means you are MISSING the boat.

If it turns you off, then please turn yourself off.

Comment

As I train horses using natural horsemanship techniques - i.e. working with them with empathy and understanding of how they interact and what they do naturally in their own environment etc, I think you are perhaps putting me in a wrong category.

However I've never yet heard a foot tell me how it needs trimming so its balanced.

Comment

Working...
                                        X