• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Baking soda for hives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking soda for hives?

Just heard this one the other day..... after it rains (for some reason) several of the horses come in with tons of hives.... which do not seem to bother them at all, but look horrible.... and the other day someone told me to try putting a spoonful of baking soda in their feed every day. You can buy big bags of baking soda in the pool supply dept. Anyone ever tried this? Something about changing the pH of their skin?

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

I'm familiar with the concept only with regards to humans, in that it is a treatment that has been used by practitioners of environmental medicine to neutralize allergic responses in human patients. Although I am only familiar with the treatment being used for food allergies.

The remedy is typically given as a combination of Calcium carbonate, Magnesium carbonate, and Potassium bicarbonate, however I have heard that Sodium Bicarbonate will also work, but it is not preferred as it adds Sodium to the body, and that may not always be a good thing.

"Ecological Formulas" is a supplement company that makes a product called "Tri-Salts" for use in people. Tri-Salts has been around for a very long time.

However, I have no idea if this treatment works in horses.

I personally would be very hesitant to try the treatment in a horse without first doing research as to the safety of giving these various "salts" to horses.

For instance, giving Potassium bicarbonate to a HYPP horse would be a very inappropriate choice.....

If the horse has hives, I call the vet, get the horse some dex, give the horse a neutralizing bath, and then work on discovering, and removing the allergen from the horses environment.

Additionally..... I personally would not ever feed a horse anything that I obtained from a pool supply store.....

Comment

I don't know about feeding baking soda to horses, but I'd sure buy the big bag at Costco, BJ' or similar before I gave them something from the pool store.
      My boy just had a case of bug bites/hives (not sure but he was bumpy all over, but not run together like hives usually are). Anyway my trainer suggested diluting white vinegar just a bit and sponging it on then leaving it. Worked!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, the bag they got from the pool store was plain ol Arm N Hammer baking soda, like used for cooking, so not inherently contaminated I think. Not sure what its function in pool maintenance!

Just curious if anyone had heard of this, wasn't necessarily planning on trying it....

Jennifer
        Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Originally posted by Bezysmom View Post
          I don't know about feeding baking soda to horses, but I'd sure buy the big bag at Costco, BJ' or similar before I gave them something from the pool store.
          My boy just had a case of bug bites/hives (not sure but he was bumpy all over, but not run together like hives usually are). Anyway my trainer suggested diluting white vinegar just a bit and sponging it on then leaving it. Worked!
          I learned of the 50/50 water/ white vinegar neutralizing bath from my vet.

However, my vet said to let the vinegar solution sit on the horse for several minutes, and then to rinse it off with just water.

White vinegar smells like ketchup once it evaporates.....

Comment

Think about it strictly from a biological/physiological point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever, and the amount recommended is so small I'd have a very difficult time imagining it makes even the remotest impact on anything at all.

Not only do hives have nothing to do with pH, but you cannot--repeat, CAN NOT--change the pH of an animal's body (skin, blood, etc.) by feeding it anything short of GIGANTIC AND LUDICROUS volumes of acids or bases, which would prove so difficult that it's hardly worth mentioning. You can make the urine slightly more acidic or basic through what is fed, but that is a function of the marvelous kidney, which is IN CHARGE OF dumping excess acid or base. They do such a phenomenal job, in fact, that the animal's pH is maintained--ALWAYS--in a very, very, very tight range. For which we can thank God, or mother nature (your choice) because if pH were as volatile and subject to manipulation as folk remedies make it out to be, we'd all be so many puddles of goo.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I have never used it on a horse, but when I had a bad case of the hives, I bathed in it to help ease the itching and swelling.
              RIP Mydan Mydandy+
              RIP Barichello

Comment

My mare has the bumps in a wide area of her body. You would think they were hives, but the same as bezy'smom...in a random pattern.
                another horse definitely gets hives.

I think I am going to try the bath, vinegar treatment, but wash off after letting it stand for a few minutes.

What bothered me is it looked like her cellultis in the way the bumps were...except these were on her sides of her belly.
                She seems fine otherwise, but not sure if she got bit horribly or if its hives.
                what an awful summer, very humid, lots of continuous rain, its just plain ugly and makes winter seem much more tolerable.
                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Hives

My two TB geldings both came in this morning with hives. Never seen anything like it before. The older TB was just covered with huge hives, the younger gelding had little bumps all over his belly and flanks. Not a pretty site.
                  It has been raining alot here recently and the bugs are just terrible. I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I have been driving myself crazy all day wondering what caused this allergic reaction.
                  Do you have to use a vinegar "bath" as soon as they break out or can it be later and still be helpful?

How long do hives normally last?

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                    Think about it strictly from a biological/physiological point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever, and the amount recommended is so small I'd have a very difficult time imagining it makes even the remotest impact on anything at all.

Not only do hives have nothing to do with pH, but you cannot--repeat, CAN NOT--change the pH of an animal's body (skin, blood, etc.) by feeding it anything short of GIGANTIC AND LUDICROUS volumes of acids or bases, which would prove so difficult that it's hardly worth mentioning. You can make the urine slightly more acidic or basic through what is fed, but that is a function of the marvelous kidney, which is IN CHARGE OF dumping excess acid or base. They do such a phenomenal job, in fact, that the animal's pH is maintained--ALWAYS--in a very, very, very tight range. For which we can thank God, or mother nature (your choice) because if pH were as volatile and subject to manipulation as folk remedies make it out to be, we'd all be so many puddles of goo.
                    THANK YOU!!!

I was about to jump in here and try to say what you just said, but no doubt less eloquently.

This "it can change your blood pH" nonsense just makes me NUTS.

So thank you.
                    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
                    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Comment

FWIW, I think you can make a paste of baking soda and put it on a bug bite, and that might reduce the itching... but I'm not even sure about that!
                      Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
                      "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Comment

Originally posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
                        FWIW, I think you can make a paste of baking soda and put it on a bug bite, and that might reduce the itching... but I'm not even sure about that!
                        Yep, that's what I was going to suggest... that won't hurt the horses. They might LOOK funny with it on, but it won't hurt them!

Meat tenderizer is supposed to reduce the pain of bee stings, but I don't know about using it on hives on animals.

Kim
                        I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Back in the 60's when I was a kid we went raspberry hunting and I came up with a horrible case of poison ivy. So bad all of my fingers were webbed together with huge blisters and one ankle had several inches all way around of crusting oozing pus. My parents took me to the doctor after a few days when the standard calamine lotion didn't cut it.

The doctor said to take several baths a day with a large amount of baking soda in the bath water and apply it also as a paste to the worst areas. Can't say it helped much. Took weeks to resolve and the itch was pure torture.

Both of my sons are also highly allergic to poison ivy. Thank the stars much more effective treatments (prednisone) were available by the time they came along.

Comment

rcloisonne, I love your signature line--just noticed it!

We can have a clique where signature lines are used as talismans to ward of the cosmic rays of nonsense, kind of like tinfoil hats. If you believe in talismans, that is . . .

Comment

Yet the moments of inspiration that often lead to new ideas and truths often arise out of musings of utter nonsense and imagination.

Comment

musings of utter nonsense and imagination.
                                True enough, but these musings are then subjected to analysis, study, and the rigors of research before they're marketed to the public. At least, that's how it ought to be--too many things go with the timeline of idea-marketing-MAYBE-some-research in stead of idea-research-marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by blakesbunch View Post
                                  My two TB geldings both came in this morning with hives. Never seen anything like it before. The older TB was just covered with huge hives, the younger gelding had little bumps all over his belly and flanks. Not a pretty site.
                                  It has been raining alot here recently and the bugs are just terrible. I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I have been driving myself crazy all day wondering what caused this allergic reaction.
                                  Do you have to use a vinegar "bath" as soon as they break out or can it be later and still be helpful?

How long do hives normally last?
                                  Yes... the bugs can cause hives.

For bug bites just a bath of plain cool water can sometimes be helpful in reducing the swellings.

The vinegar "bath" concept is more of a method to "remove" suspected allergens from the horses coat and skin, then that of a concept where as it is a "direct cure" of the hives themselves.

To answer the question... It is better to give the bath sooner because you will then be removing the suspected allergens sooner.... but the bath may be just as effective at reversing the hives if given at any time, because the hives will generally not resolve until the allergens (whatever they may be) are removed from the horses coat.

However.... If your horses were if fact stung by a nest of bees that they both encountered while out in their pasture. The vinegar bath would probably be no help at all, because hives due to bee stings are caused by the bee venom that was injected into the horses skin via the bee's stinger, and not due to any allergy causing "substance" (i.e. mold. pollen, laundry detergent, hair conditioner) that may have come into contact with the horses coat.

For hives caused by a bee sting, I would hose the horse down with cool water, as in my experience the cool water has anti-inflammatory effect just due to it being "cool" (same as cold hosing a swollen leg).

A vinegar bath can not wash away anything that is causing the allergy "internally", and it even may not work in all cases of an allergy that is caused by something contacting the horse "externally". But to my knowledge I consider it a relatively harmless, and potentially effective, first treatment to try....

But do note that hives can in rare cases, can be only the first "phase" of a more systemic and possibly life threatening allergic reaction called "anaphylactic shock". This is why I personally tend to be very cautious regarding the health of a horse that I have never known to have hives before. If a horse that has never had hives sudden erupts with a case of serious hives.... I will call the vet.

In all cases if the horse has an elevated heart rate in association with the hives, I will call the vet "immediately", as an elevated heart rate can be a symptom of anaphylactic shock.

Comment

Another thought....

Down here when it is especially hot, humid, and rainy, I have two beasties who will occasionally come in with what looks like hives over large portions of their bodies. I have learned (the hard way) that for these particular horses, the hives are a sort of precursor to rain rot. At first they look like they have simple hives, then their skin becomes very sensitive, and finally the bumps show up.

When I see large areas of hives on these beasties, I know to get the betadine shampoo out....
                                    Y'all ain't right!

Comment

When my horse gets hives, he gets 15 Costco benadryl-equivalent tablets in some soaked pellets; morning and night if need be (vet recommendation). If it is warm enough, a bath and a white vinegar rinse, too. White vinegar will also remove any buildup of hair product in your own hair, in case you've bought a big bottle and want to do your own rinse in your apres barn shower.

Comment

OMG Eeeeeek

I can't believe this post. My mare came in yesterday with hives from Hell. This is the second time in her life it's happened, we've run allergy tests and nothing really important. And now at a totally different time of year, huge hives. She's on Dex per the vet and we'll see.

Also, it's been raining for a week on and off.
                                        Last edited by Eventer55; Aug. 2, 2009, 06:31 PM.
                                        RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Working...
                                        X