Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

<GHAAAA-ZZU> I'm hearing questions about digestability of Oils??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katy Watts
    replied
    Originally posted by Lookout View Post
    As an aside, the Welsh pony study in the March 06 Equus reported that the ponies that were most prone to laminitis also had evidence of unhealthy bile ducts.
    http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/83/13_suppl/E22.pdf

Here's a scienfitic full text article written with Dr. Kronfeld, who directed the Welsh pony studies, and wrote that Equus article on insulin resistance. He is the Grand Pubaa of equine nutrition in the US. He recommends replacing starch with oil, so I think it is incorrect to infer that the Equus article implicates fat as a cause of IR in horses.
    Tip for those searching for scientific studies: do your searches on
    www.scholar.google.com It only brings up papers and sites with a bibliography.
    Katy

Leave a comment:

• frugalannie
    replied
    Yay! OMom's back!

Nice to read a post from you again, with your usual enjoyable style.

And thanks for parsing a query that has had many of my favorite posters respond.

Good info, and an example of why we should take nutritional claims with a grain of salt, or cortisol, or whatever is appropriate, and always do more research.

And you seem unable to receive PMs, so please e-mail me.

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied
    No fad diets for me! I still am fond of *gasp* OATS. And GRASS.

Excess of anything is probably not a good idea. But nutrients are nutrients, and there's nothing inherently bad about them.

I do agree that the "low carb" thing is strangely faddish and suspiciously linked temporally to the whole human "South Beach" thing. Not saying it isn't beneficial for some, but it is all you hear

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied

Excess of anything is probably not a good idea. But nutrients are nutrients, and there's nothing inherently bad about them.

I do agree that the "low carb" thing is strangely faddish and suspiciously linked temporally to the whole human "South Beach" thing. Not saying it isn't beneficial for some, but it is all

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied

I do agree that the "low carb" thing is strangely faddish and suspiciously linked temporally to the whole human "South Beach" thing. Not saying it isn't beneficial for some, but it is all you

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied

I do agree that the "low carb" thing is strangely faddish and suspiciously linked temporally to the whole human "South Beach" thing. Not saying it isn't beneficial for some, but it is

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied

I do agree that the "low carb" thing is strangely faddish and suspiciously linked temporally to the whole human "South Beach" thing.

Leave a comment:

• Oldenburg Mom
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Well, they don't have gall bladders, but they do produce bile.
    They just can't store it.
    No crow for you, dear.
    I loff you Ghazzu. Just think ... no fried Crow in Oil.

So, bile is what is used to break down the oil, as necessary, thus it is absorbable by the body!

And B Street Tango ... you didn't have to confess. I wasn't going to tell anyone...

Leave a comment:

• Katy Watts
    replied
    Also, according to this:
    http://www.rivasremedies.com/researc...ngsDisease.htm

Fat digestion requires the release of cortisol so lots of fat to digest means lots of cortisol released, which is the culprit in Cushings disease. I'm curious what people with cushings horses who feed oil have seen in the progress of the disease.
    This is from a site selling homeopathic remedies. At the bottom it says 'reference suppplied by request'. It might be a good idea to ask for a scienfitic reference on this statement before spreading it around as gospel.
    Katy

Leave a comment:

• EqTrainer
    replied
    Hand up...

my IR horse "flipped" over the edge when he was on a high fat diet. It was corn oil. He can tolerate 8 oz. of flax a day but not a cup of corn oil.

Take it for whatever you want it to mean, but I am suspicious of the cortizol link, too.

Leave a comment:

• B Street Tango
    replied
    I fess up, I'm the one that quoted that to OMom (according to what I was told this morning) and was on my here to start my own research as I currently have 2 horses on rice bran oil and have used it in the past. OMom, I hope you didn't think I was spooing that as a fact as I have no idea if I my source was credible or HER source was credable...as she most definitely WAS selling something! But I'm always open to learn...as we all are, and we're all (hopefully) just looking out for the best interest of our beasties! As with most things, looks like there are different view points, and what works for one horse may not work for another due to their own deficencies. On my way to go poke around some more and draw my own conclusion....

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by deltawave View Post
    How can a liver be "overburdened" by its OWN DESIGN?
    The OP asked whether horses could process fats efficiently. All the answers said, that they're capable of doing so because livers excrete bile, somehow equating capability with efficiency.
    The liver is not overburdened by its design. It's overburdened by functioning in a way it was not designed to do. They're not designed to consume or digest cups of oil at a time. Like you said, they're grazers. The liver has no ability to tailor the release or amount or timing of digestive fluids to the meal consumed.
    Cushing's disease is a PATHOLOGICAL excess of cortisol. Cortisol in and of itself is not poison
    Calm down, I think your cortisol level is rising. With the amount of stress that domestic horses are subject to, I think their last problem is going to be a deficiency of cortisol.
    In excess quantities it is, and feeding a horse perhaps 1000% more fat per day than they normally would consume, could cause a release of pathological amounts.
    Since horses are grazers, they really haven't any need for a bag of bile squirting out a big glob of the stuff when they eat a large meal, like we do.
    Exactly. Which is why large quantities of oil at one feeding can be burdensome to their digestive systems.
    Really, I have no problem with you putting your horse on this fad diet and contributing to the research. When it's proven not to cause problems perhaps I'll switch. Until then...
    I guess I missed the part where the website is selling something, clearly very effective marketing there.
    As an aside, the Welsh pony study in the March 06 Equus reported that the ponies that were most prone to laminitis also had evidence of unhealthy bile ducts.
    Last edited by Lookout; Sep. 11, 2006, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied
    This brings to mind the old medical adage: "True, true, unrelated".

TRUE, the horse has no gall bladder.

TRUE, the liver plays an important role in digestion.

TRUE, the liver is important in vitamin A metabolism.

UNRELATED to the issue of "do horses suffer from not having a gall bladder?"

How are "sport horse livers" different than the livers of any other horse?

How can a liver be "overburdened" by its OWN DESIGN? It's not like horses lost their gall bladders in an accident...they never HAD them. They don't need them, obviously, or they would have been issued one.

Cushing's disease is a PATHOLOGICAL excess of cortisol. Cortisol in and of itself is not poison and is absolutely necessary for innumerable vital functions. Try doing without it some time...a profound and particularly a sudden deficiency of Cortisol is as devastating as anything you will ever see.

WAY too many loose ends, no cohesive fabric here. Cavalor isn't selling anything, eh? What's all that stuff for sale on their site?

Since horses are grazers, they really haven't any need for a bag of bile squirting out a big glob of the stuff when they eat a large meal, like we do. It's far more efficient for them to trickle a little bile into the small intestine constantly, because in an ideal situation that's how the food is being delivered to the gut: constantly. Nature is a marvelous thing.

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by JB View Post
    Could this be the cause of oil-induced IR as well?
    There's certainly not enough research to answer that definitively, but it's definitely a valid theory IMO (that I don't wish to test out on my horse who in the last five years has lost all traces of cushings symptoms).

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Fat digestion requires the release of cortisol so lots of fat to digest means lots of cortisol released, which is the culprit in Cushings disease. I'm curious what people with cushings horses who feed oil have seen in the progress of the disease.
    Could this be the cause of oil-induced IR as well?

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    From the Cavalor Equine Info Center for Nutrition and Health (who's not selling anything):

http://www.cavalor.com/nutritionarticle.php?id=3

The liver plays an important role in the digestive system of the horse. Horses have no bile bladder, and consequently the liver has to guarantee for a sufficient production of bile salts for the digestion of fats. The liver serves as a storage for vitamin A (up to 6 months), energy (in the form of glycogen) and iron. In addition to this, the liver plays an important role in the elimination and detoxification of rest products of the digestion (For example: Ammonia from proteins, lactic acid from grains). In this way, the liver of sport horses is often overburdened with the oversupply of certain nutrients (proteins, sugars, vitamins) and medicines.

They don't have gallbladders so the liver has to produce more bile. Since there is no bile release 'timer' in the liver like there is in the gallbladder it releases it at random and that is inefficient; it may be too much, or too little, or not when it's needed. This can overburden the liver.
    Also, according to this:
    http://www.rivasremedies.com/researc...ngsDisease.htm

I tend to think that some fat in moderation and from plant sources is more suitable for the horse to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• Ghazzu
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    HUH?

I heard a remark today that because horses don't have gall bladders they can't process oils efficiently.

Hmmmph.

Well, my remark, (besides saying I was going to do some research) was something on the order of ... "Well, horses aren't people ... and vice versa. Horses have a different body chemistry ... "

And then I RUSHED to find you and find out if I have to go eat crow.

SO... what's on the menu, Great Ghazzu, crow? Or Oil?
    Well, they don't have gall bladders, but they do produce bile.
    They just can't store it.
    No crow for you, dear.

Leave a comment:

• monstrpony
    replied
    Well, up to a point ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm solidly on the fat supplemented/low starch & sugar bandwagon, but I've also come to believe that it's possible to overdo the oil, and that more natural sources (flax, BOSS--if yours will eat it ) are good to include in the fat supplementation.

I've gone thru periods of thinking if fat is good, more fat is better, for my EPSM guy, and frankly, there seemed to be an upper limit, both on palatability and on the good it does. The 1 lb/1000lb body weight suggested for EPSM horses is a pretty good guideline as an upper limit. There are some EPSMers who will benefit from more than that in specific situations, but in my experience, there IS that limit. I would imagine the limit is even somewhat lower for horses that don't have muscle issues.

Would you believe, though, that both Monstr and my new semi-rescue guy objected when I added BOSS to their menus? Both eat flax just fine, but Monstr walked away when I recently tried to add BOSS again, and the New Guy just started throwing his feed all over the stall (he's a bit of an, umm, agressive, shall we say, eater anyway). I realized that a recent period of poor appetite on Monstr's part coincided with my last attempt to use BOSS, as well. Go figure.

They love their soaked & oiled beet pulp, however. Yumm!!

Leave a comment:

• Oldenburg Mom
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    So pass the crow....sauteed in OIL of course!

Leave a comment:

• Oldenburg Mom
    replied
    Thanks JumpHigh83.

I knew it was a fishy hypothesis ... but turn over every stone and rock in the search for a better way to GET weight on thinner horses, e.g., TWO of my boys that are working pretty hard (one of them in the breeding shed!!!)

It sounds like the best thing to do is feed MORE fat, less starch (DUH! I've never heard THAT before!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X