Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

<GHAAAA-ZZU> I'm hearing questions about digestability of Oils??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evalee Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    . . . . I'm feeding Cocosoya oil, which per the manufacturer's directions, the MAX they get is 8 oz, PER DAY. That is not cups, that's 1/4 cup, per feeding. I don't believe that's going to hurt any horse.
    What do you put the cocsoya oil on? You feed it 4 times a day? 1/4 cup is 2 fl. ounces because 1 cup is 8 fluid ounces, so you would have to feed 4 quarter cups per day to equal 8 ounces.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    OM, yep, that's the right reason to add oil

I have actually found that BOSS and rice bran, for my harder keeper, works better than oil, if that interests you at all

Leave a comment:

• Oldenburg Mom
    replied
    Originally posted by JB View Post
    What happens in too many cases is that someone adds oil for the sake of getting fat and calories into the horse, and neglects the nutritional content of the diet, sacrificing nutrition for basically empty calories.
    What an interesting comment.

Nutritionally, my horse (well actually, TWO horses) are on ration balancers, so I know they have a complete diet. But they could use more weight; one is a little thin because he is working AND is in the breeding shed. The other is just a little be more difficult keeper. What they both need is CALORIES. Oil is perfect for this.

I'm feeding Cocosoya oil, which per the manufacturer's directions, the MAX they get is 8 oz, PER DAY. That is not cups, that's 1/4 cup, per feeding. I don't believe that's going to hurt any horse.

Leave a comment:

• Katy Watts
    replied
    Originally posted by Lookout View Post
    My reference to the Equus article points out that unhealthy bile ducts were identified in laminitic ponies (i.e liver disease).
    Perhaps we are not speaking of the same article. Are your refering to the April 2006 article by Dr. Kronfeld. There were no post mortems done in that study, hence I don't believe any conclusions were made about the condition of the bile ducts. There was an indication of high tri glycerides in the blood.
    In the introduction, there is a discussion of possible liver disease as the cause, but this is then explained as being a compensatory reaction to insulin resistance.
    Katy

Leave a comment:

• Ghazzu
    replied
    By the bile ducts becoming overworked from trying to produce more and more bile?
    From what I understand from what has been posted here the fat gets digested in the small intestine, it doesn't need to get to the liver.
    Not much point in feeding it, if it's not getting digested is there?
    Yes, fats are primarily digested in the small intestine. They are emulsified by the bile from the liver which is secreted into the lumen of the small intestine via the bile ducts. In species with a gall bladder, bile is stored and released; in the horse, it is a constant trickle.
    Bile ducts do not make bile; they merely transport it.Bile is produced by hepatocytes.

Virtually everything absorbed by the gut passes through the liver, via the portal circulation. That's how the liver does its job of detoxification of ingested substances.

I am not advocating feeding a horse humongous amounts of oil; I merely dispute the contention that feeding relatively (in equine terms) high fat diets damages the liver by making it "work too hard".

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
    If the liver can't produce enough bile salts to emulsify the fat and therefore facilitate its absorption, then it doesn't get to the liver.
    Sso how can it damage the liver if it doesn't, in effect, get into the body?
    By the bile ducts becoming overworked from trying to produce more and more bile?
    From what I understand from what has been posted here the fat gets digested in the small intestine, it doesn't need to get to the liver.
    Not much point in feeding it, if it's not getting digested is there?

Leave a comment:

• Ghazzu
    replied
    How do you know?
    If the liver can't produce enough bile salts to emulsify the fat and therefore facilitate its absorption, then it doesn't get to the liver.
    Sso how can it damage the liver if it doesn't, in effect, get into the body?

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Yes, but increasing oil past the level at which efficiency decreases places no particular burden upon the liver.
    How do you know?

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied
    Flaxseed (another source of fat) contains I believe 18% protein, a fairly generous amount of phosphorus and some calcium, as well. Along with omega 3's in abundance.

If one uses oil as part of a CAREFULLY BALANCED ration they should be aware of the fact that oil provides "only" fat calories and not much else, but sometimes a few extra calories is all one needs, in which case it is a great choice. Calories are, at times, simply what is required when all other needs have been met.

Leave a comment:

• Ghazzu
    replied
    But there are no nutrients in oil.
    Define "nutrient".
    My definition includes "source of energy".

Leave a comment:

• Ghazzu
    replied
    The OP asked whether horses could process fats efficiently. All the answers said, that they're capable of doing so because livers excrete bile, somehow equating capability with efficiency.
    The liver is not overburdened by its design. It's overburdened by functioning in a way it was not designed to do. They're not designed to consume or digest cups of oil at a time. Like you said, they're grazers. The liver has no ability to tailor the release or amount or timing of digestive fluids to the meal consumed.
    Yes, but increasing oil past the level at which efficiency decreases places no particular burden upon the liver. It may cause loose manure, though.

Leave a comment:

• Barnfairy
    replied
    Canola oil contains vitamins E and K.

Oh, and it can provide omega-3 fatty acids too.

So there's that.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Originally posted by deltawave View Post
    No nutrients in oil?? What do you call all of those calories? Define "nutrient", please.
    Oil is 100% fat. Yes, fat is a nutrient in one sense of the definition. But it contains nothing else - no protein, no vitamins, no minerals, no amino acids, no nothing else. That is what is being referenced here. What happens in too many cases is that someone adds oil for the sake of getting fat and calories into the horse, and neglects the nutritional content of the diet, sacrificing nutrition for basically empty calories.

Leave a comment:

• Gunnar
    replied
    As a side note my mare rosie is on a high fat diet (EPSM??) and boy does she burp and belch! I was riding her on the weekend and it was weird. She would puff up for a split second and then burp. I wonder if it is the oil? I also give her flax and boss but it had been at least two days as she was out of bags and they gave her what they had!

Anyone else's horses burp or belch?

Leave a comment:

• deltawave
    replied
    No nutrients in oil?? What do you call all of those calories? Define "nutrient", please.

(PS...sorry about the freaked out post-after-post thing above, I thought the computer was having a seizure and that's what happened! )

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Dr. Kronfeld,.. He recommends replacing starch with oil, so I think it is incorrect to infer that the Equus article implicates fat as a cause of IR in horses.
    My reference to the Equus article points out that unhealthy bile ducts were identified in laminitic ponies (i.e liver disease). Please read for comprehension and/or do not conflate two different posters' thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by deltawave View Post
    Excess of anything is probably not a good idea. But nutrients are nutrients, and there's nothing inherently bad about them.
    But there are no nutrients in oil.

Leave a comment:

• Lookout
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy Watts View Post
    This is from a site selling homeopathic remedies. At the bottom it says 'reference suppplied by request'. It might be a good idea to ask for a scienfitic reference on this statement before spreading it around as gospel.
    Katy
    I don't think it's any great mystery that fat needs cortisol to be digested. No one is spreading anything around as gospel and it's no more or less reliable than anything else that's "spread" around here.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    A lower carb (starch!) diet is not a "fad" in horse feeding. It's based on newer research that shows that the quite high amounts of sugars and soluble starches that "we" have been pumping into our horses is not healthy. Yes, it does parallel what's going on in humans, with the South Beach diet (which is quite healthy compared to long-term Atkins diets) being much more appropriate to how human bodies are designed to process foods, just like a horse-appropriate diet. It has nothing to do with creating a "new" diet for horses, it's simply trying to reiterate how horses are DESIGNED to eat and live. Oil was introduced as a way to get the higher amounts of fat into EPSM horses who have to have drastically reduced carbs and then have to get their energy from SOMEWHERE. Protein doesn't do it, so it's fat. Some folks have just jumped on that bandwagon without giving enough thought to their individual horse. 2c/day of oil for the average horse isn't necessary, and SOME research has indicated it might be a cause of IR in some breeds (TBs) and some ponies. The more natural sources of fat - it BOSS and rice bran - seem to be much more tolerated by the equine body and many folks are finding that their horses do better on less fat, from these sources, than more fat from oil. I'm one of them.

Leave a comment:

• monstrpony
    replied
    I don't think the concepts of lowering starch/sugar and feeding fat are necessarily linked. There's pretty clear evidence that excess starch/sugar in the digestive system can cause problems with pH, gut flora proliferation, and subsequent toxin production. This has nothing to do with feeding fat. Admittedly, there are situations where the two practices are considered together, but the fat supplementation in feeding horses that I'm familliar with is not a spin-off of any human diet scheme.

Further, the fat-supplemented feeding that I'm familliar with encourages a period of slow adaptation to feeding fat, recognizing that the horse's digestive system isn't designed to handle large quantities of fat, but CAN be adapted to handle supplemental fat. And the quantities of fat prescribed are still incredibly low by human standards (on a percent of total diet basis); horses are just large critters, so a cup of oil seems like a tremendous amount of fat.

If I could feed the needed amount of fat on a pasture-grazing basis, I'm sure it would be better for my horses, but I haven't perfected spraying my pasture with soy oil and still getting the grass to grow (just kidding ...).

There are many practices that have been imposed on the equine by human domestication that have tinkered with the best practices designed by nature--feeding concentrates, limiting grazing, growing sugar-rich pastures where they wouldn't normally grow; not to mention, breeding horses for certain characteristics, and consequently inadvertently selecting for undesireable characteristics (i.e., poor muscle metabolism). The argument that modern practices go against the ways of equines in the wild is much more complicated than the artificiality of adding fat to the diet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X