• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ranitidine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranitidine

My vet has prescribed this for my horse. Eight 300mg pills twice a day long term use. I had asked the vet about long term affects of an acid blocker and what it does to digestion. She didn't have a response. Does anyone have any experiences? Suggestions?

(We've tried the U7, ProCMCs, Neighlox, Tums of the world, just want to know about Ranitidine use.) Thank you!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Eight is actually a very low dose- my gelding gets 20 twice a day. See if it works, but don't hesitate to up it a bit if you aren't seeing results. It seems to help him a lot, though.
    -Grace

Comment

My horse went from crazy, barely rideable jerk to practically a calm, collected lesson horse after 2 days of ranitidine. He's a 16.2 1/2 hand TB Gelding (about 1100lbs) and we started on 12 300mg pills 2x/day and now we're down to 10 2x/day. Will do 2 weeks of that and then try to wean down to 8 2x/day, and finally 6/2x per day and if he does fine he will be on 3-4 months of that and then we will try to wean him off. He's also getting 5g of Sucralfate (Carafate) 2x/day.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hay

Thanks all. The vet called the prescription in and she already changed to 10 of the 300 mg pills twice a day.

Any side effects anyone else had?

Comment

Is it cheaper through your vet or Costco? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

Granted you'd have to do 20 2X a day, but just wondered?

I've given it to youngstock in the past with great success. When I saw a foal was a bit down, or a yearling, I'd pop some in the feed and within a week they were back to normal and I'd slowly wean them off.
          Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
          Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
          & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
          www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
            Eight is actually a very low dose- my gelding gets 20 twice a day.
            You have to pay attention to the dosage of each pill I HOPE your horse isn't so large he's getting 20 of the *300mg* pills twice a day

20 of the 150mg pills is more like it That's 10 of the 300mg pills. That's a dosage for a horse about 1300lb.

Comment

No, it's twenty 300mg pills

Dosage is 6.6 mg/kg of body weight. My horse weighs 1500 pounds, 680 kg. Thus, the dose is 15 pills, 3 times a day. My vets said that because I am only doing it twice, I should increase it, and I notice a significant difference between 15 and 20.
              -Grace

Comment

Originally posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
                No, it's twenty 300mg pills
                How big is he??? I would think that unless he's 2000lbs, you're wasting money giving him that much since you only need 3mg/lb.

Comment

Originally posted by Riley0522 View Post
                  How big is he??? I would think that unless he's 2000lbs, you're wasting money giving him that much since you only need 3mg/lb.
                  No, the OP's math is correct.

3mg/lb is the same as 6.6mg/kg.

Comment

Originally posted by pines4equines View Post
                    (We've tried the U7, ProCMCs, Neighlox, Tums of the world, just want to know about Ranitidine use.) Thank you!
                    Interesting that you have tried all those others; I wonder what does Rantidine do differently?

I know of a horse on Ranitidine which is the source of my interest, but from what I gather he is a colicker and this is supposed to help with that aspect, or perhaps treat the ulcers to minimize the colicking?

I am still curious about products like SmartGut, the ingredients in which are purported to be able to heal ulcers (such as the glutamine and I think DGL).

Comment

I would guess that ranitidine works better because blocking stomach acid production is what it does. All of the other supplements just aid in stomach buffering etc etc, and do not actually stop the body's stomach acid from being made. If you see results from the supplements, by all means, use them. But some are quite pricey, and there are very low side affects from using ranitidine/cimetidine. For the price, I would go with using what is scientifically proven to work. Quite a few of the horses at the barn I managed were put on ranitidine and had very positive results that we saw especially about 4 weeks of consistent treatment.

Comment

But is it excess acid production in these horses or just normal amounts, that the medicine blocks? Don't horses need some acid to digest their food? It sounds like it could be interfering with digestion. The horse I'm thinking of is extremely underweight and can't put any weight on and from what you say the Ranitidine could be preventing him from utilizing his food.

Comment

Id have to ask for more detailed specifics as I am not a vet, nor am I a nutritionalist. From what I can recall, the horse's stomach actually doesnt break down the bulk of what the animal consumes. Most of it occurs after the stomach. Also, horses with gastric ulcers usually have the problem of producing excess acid, so these blockers would reduce, and probably not halt all acid in the stomach. Plus, sticking to the correct dosage for the horse, and only giving it 2-3 times a day wont do your horse any harm. Although we are different species, this is the same product as Zantac and is approved for human use by the FDA for the same acid blocking property.

The causes of gastric ulcers are pretty vast. So if your horse doesnt have ulcers, or isnt being irritated by excess acid production, then none of these drugs will help. We had a horse that had a TON of ulcers, who was actually put on a round of gastrogaurd. He had a very poor appetite, and many of the other "ulcer symptoms". After his treatment was finished he was scoped again and had no real signs improvement.
                          Turns out after some tests were done (as a hunch really) the horse was allergic to pretty much everything, most grass hays, soy products, and corn! As drastic as it was, he was put on another round of gastrogaurd and a pretty strict diet of oats and alfalfa. He was still on pasture with grass, but wouldnt you know it, his attitude improved, as did his weight and coat. He stays on anti ulcer medication (as far as I know), and its still a bit of a challenge to make sure he has all of his nutritional bases covered, but the ulcers are GONE.

To answer your question better, I guess you wont know until you try. I have never seen negative side effects of ranitidine, but it is possible to see little to no response to it. Most of the horses that I had on it, did end up gaining weight. Horses that are uncomfortable are stressed, and stressed horses dont gain or keep weight on very well.

Comment

How is everyone giving this to their horses? I'm going to try the Ulcergard on my mare and see how she responds, but would like to try the Raniditine as it is a bit cheaper Do you grind it up and mix it, dissolve it in water? When is the best time to give it? I read twice a day before eating, but if that isn't feasible with the feeding schedule\my work schedule, what other way would work?

THANKS!!!!
                            Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" clique

Comment

I just throw the pills in with his feed, whole, and he eats them along with everything.
                              -Grace

Comment

Have not read all the replies, but "in the old days" (I'm talking about the 90's) Zantac was a Godsend for foals with ulcers. This was before it was OTC. It was expensive even then, but did the job better than Tagamet for those with severe ulcers.

In those days, the vet would have to call in the Rx to a human pharmacy. I laughed when I went to pick and they freaked out at the dosage. Once I explained it was for a horse, the whole pharmacy staff at CVS would ask me how the little guy was doing every time I went to pick up refills.

In a few cases where I had to use it back in the 90's there were no after effects. And those I had to use it for are now in their late teens.

But... it was a good 5 weeks of treatment before the ulcers were gone. Expensive, but there was little else in those days. If foals did so well on it will no other side effects, I sure wouldn't worry about it for an adult horse.
                                www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                                "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                                Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

• Original Poster

Hay

Hi guys. Thank you so much for the responses.

This horse was on 28 days of UG in January with excellent results however the ulcer symptoms came back in June and the horse was put on another round of UG. Then vet then prescribed the Ranitidine for long term use and the prescription is for a year. I ordered it from SmartPak (one because they are so gracious with the free shipping code we all use here) and two, because I wasn't quite sure how to do the prescription thing and they walked me through it. It was so easy for a newbie prescription for horses person.

This horse had colic surgery about 2 1/2 years ago and just has not been the same horse since. When he did go on the 28 days of UG in January, he was like the same old horse pre colic surgery. The vet thinks in this horse's instance, the surgery is what brought on the ulcers.

Horse is on TC Senior which has the probiotics in the feed. I was thinking of looking into a natural prebiotic but need to do some research before I willy nilly add it along with the Ranitidine.

Horse is lightly trail ridden, trailered to trail heads about 20 minutes away. 12 hours of T/O (at this time of year, usually more but it's been so wet here!!!) Free choice hay NY 1st cut grass hay.

Again, thanks all for the responses. After the 12 days of UG and starting Ranitidine on Wednesday, he is my same old adorable, full of personality horse. I really hate when he feels bad, you can so tell. He's mournful.

Comment

Just so you know: Ranitidine is the only medication that I have found is significantly cheaper at the vet's office than online, even with free shipping. You might want to double check with your vet to see how much they will charge.
                                    -Grace

Comment

My horse gets daily Ranitidine because the other supplements just didn't do anything for him. The first time we did the 28 days of Gastrogard and used a supplement, the ulcers came back within 6 months. We did another round of GG and then started the Ranitidine.

The dosage for us is 10 tabs (300mg) 2x per day - horse weighs +/- 1250 lbs. We have revisisted trying to reduce that, but both the vet and I don't think it's worth the risk of recurring ulcers (if it's not broke, don't fix it).

I buy Ranitidine by the case (12 bottles, 250 tabs in each) at $21 per bottle from my vet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hay

Thank you for the advice on purchasing from the vet!

Comment

Working...
                                        X