• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need Coth wisdom re: horse tying up/back problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Coth wisdom re: horse tying up/back problem

A friend of mine got a lovely young horse through me.He was sent to me to bring along and sell and she watched him go for MONTHS and finally decided to buy him from the owner. At the time of purchase I insisted that she have a through vet exam. She did. Horse had minor stuff but nothing to prevent her from buying him for her intended purposes. Fast forward to 2 years later. Horse has on again off again short strided left hind. Not LAME but no right. Horse is also extremely accident prone.
    They go to clinic and find two places in the neck with moderate arthritis. Also pelvic damage due to running full tilt into the side of the barn and whacking hip... which never caused him any serious lameness at the time. Horse has had SI injected and after two weeks went back to work and had some laser treatments. Horse shows sensitivity in the back over the last two days to the laser, so owner does not use it. Horse appears NQR Sat pm. Standing, walking stiffly. By Sunday am, walking is compromised. Horse BTW is eathing and drinking normally and is mentally alert. Which, for him, is mouthing everything in sight and generally being a silly pony. Appears to have some occasional muscle spasms at neck an back... owner thinks maybe tying up..calls vet. Horse steps under himself ok on turns...so not looking like EPM, but seems to have some oddness of gait in the front. Like picking up feet high and putting them down funny. Is not unsteady on his feet though...just walks like you put boots on him for the first time ever...you know what that looks like :-) Almost looks laminitic and has some mild sensitivity to hooftesters, but nothing really serious. Had his feet done last friday and he'd gotten long (everyone is growinf foot like crazy here!) but not awful. Doesnot have a strong digital pulse. Horse got IV banamine and is going to be on some Robaxin. but does anyone have a similar experience post SI injections?
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

https://clshrs3.wixsite.com/website

Originally posted by mellsmom View Post
    Fast forward to 2 years later. Horse has on again off again short strided left hind. Not LAME but no right. Horse is also extremely accident prone.
    They go to clinic and find two places in the neck with moderate arthritis... Horse appears NQR Sat pm. Standing, walking stiffly. By Sunday am, walking is compromised...Appears to have some occasional muscle spasms at neck an back... owner thinks maybe tying up..calls vet. Horse steps under himself ok on turns...so not looking like EPM, but seems to have some oddness of gait in the front. Like picking up feet high and putting them down funny. Is not unsteady on his feet though...just walks like you put boots on him for the first time ever...you know what that looks like :-)
    I'd have EPM, rabies, and spinal cord lesions on my list.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Definitely have not had this kind of response to SI injections. Don't know what it is, but does not sound like a healthy response to an SI injection.

Comment

This sounds like acute EPSM, a metabolic disorder - do a search and go on www.ruralheritage.com. Our mare, also an accident-prone TB, had odd lamenesses, back pain, muscle spasms, discomfort in lifting feet, etc. Try switching immediately to an oil-based diet and see if it alleviates any of the symptoms. Our mare responded well enough initially so that we never even had the muscle biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. PM me if you need more info

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks

This am's report is fairly good so far. Horse appeared to be walking normally when he went out last night. Owner will be out there this afternoon to do another look see. We also thought about Lyme, EPM...all of it. The barn where she boards has a horse with EPM, so they know about that. This guy didn't seem like an EPM case upon exam Sunday.....but you all know how that is. Owner is going to turn him out with Dr. Green Grass and take a wait and see approach.
          All of our horses are vaccinated religiously for Rabies, so that's a long shot.
          Blood test results should be back on Tuesday to see if it was tying up.... they took several vials so I have a feeling they will also look at the lyme titers. I pulled one recently on my gelding...his was so low they didn't even do the Western blot.

Comment

I would consider EPSM as well. What breed is he? I like Dr.Valberg's info on EPSM better - makes more sense to me that simply adding a lot of fat to the diet....

http://www.re-leve.com/documents/Fee...edisorders.pdf
            http://www.re-leve.com/documents/Mus...ngtheknots.pdf

Comment

• Original Poster

He's a TB

6 years old. He was on a high fat feed ato ne time, but too much rice bran or oil and he gets diarrhea. He also has a sensitive stomach and can be a wood chewer.

Comment

Originally posted by mellsmom View Post
                6 years old. He was on a high fat feed ato ne time, but too much rice bran or oil and he gets diarrhea. He also has a sensitive stomach and can be a wood chewer.
                I personally feel that if it is really EPSM sugar/starch reduction is key, much more so than adding a lot of fat. Horses were not meant to eat that much fat and I have seen feedback here too where it really did not work that well for many horses. Perhaps RER is another possibility too since he's TB?

He could be suffering from ulcers too - sounds like he may need more forage.

Comment

We started slowly with the mare - 1 oz. + hat stretcher pellets and upped it every few days. If she had diarrhea, we cut back. She is now getting 1 qt. hay stretcher, 1.5 qts. alfalfa pellets, a Vit. E/Selenium supplement, and 10 oz. of Cocosoya twice a day. She's competing successfully at Prelim and is moving up soon to Intermediate. It's worth a try - just go slow.

Comment

Earleir this year my horse came in from the field and looked very stiff and overall body sore - myself and coaches thought that maybe she had tied up even though she hadn't done any hard work and she was stiff all over her body not just the hind end. The vet came out and diagnosed sore feet (also drew blood and tested for tying up - came back negative) She had a stong digintal pulse in all four feet and she had had her feet trimmed 5 days earlier. She was off for two weeks to recover. I had shoes put on her and knock on wood there hasn't been a repeat.

Comment

BorntoRide, what do you mean "RER because of being TB"? Just not ringing a bell for me...
                      Doubt if EPSM, but Vet not ruling out anything till blood work comes back, anything is possible, however his grass and hay is good quality and pretty much free choice for both. He gets only a handful of grain am + pm, only 1 lb total daily of SS textured Complete. What is also being looked at aside from his known, but fairly complicated back problem is the possibility of an underlying condition that is making soundness and recovery much more difficult. Thanks for ideas they are all being passed on to the vet.

Comment

RER and EPSM/PSSM

The difference between the two is very well explained on the re-leve site, under FAQ... I copied a bit of it below, but here is the link http://re-leve.com/faq.html

"RER is characterized by a defect in the mechanism of muscle contraction... RER is a common cause of tying-up in Thoroughbred, Standardbred and Arabian horses. RER is most prevalent in young, nervous fillies...

PSSM, on the other hand, is distinguished by accumulation of glycogen (a form of carbohydrate) and an abnormal form of polysaccharide (a complex carbohydrate) in muscle..."

When my horse was diagnosed RER I found Dr. Valberg's webiste to have wonderful, scientific information.http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/RER_new/home.html
                        Reasons I'm crazy, #37: I went out shopping for a pony and came home with a 17hh OTTB
                        ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Comment

I agree with the resident vet, check for EPM. But what's a spinal lesion?

Comment

Originally posted by Androcles View Post
                            I agree with the resident vet, check for EPM. But what's a spinal lesion?
                            General term for problems with the main wiring.
                            In this case, I was wondering whether the arthritis in the cervical spine that had been mentioned might not be impinging on the cord.(Though hypermetric gait is more likely to be cerebellar than cervical spine)
                            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Could you have the vet out and do an exercise test. Pull baseline blood and then exercise the horse for 10-15mins at the trot. Then pull blood 1-1.5hrs later and compare. CK values and AST values should be normal at start and CK will increase on the 2nd test but AST should be normal. If CK is exceptionally high on 2nd then you know that something abnormal is going on muscularly. AST should not be raised that quickly in the 2nd as it takes 12 plus hours (if memory serves me right) after CK peaks to show its post exercise peak. If AST or CK is raised in the baseline you know there is some smoldering issue going on.

Clair

Independent Equine Nutritionist
                              www.equilibrateequine.com
                              info@equilibrateequine.com

Comment

My horse has been through the ringer as far as trying to figure out why he was on again off again lame...hind end....he had a bone scan and was body sore.....
                                Well we switched to an EPSM style diet, no oils, and he has done fabulous! My vet thought that doing the muscle biopsy would be a waste considering he could eat that type of diet anyway...it takes several months for it to correct itself but well worth it....
                                How much rice bran were you giving when they got diahrrea? A feed very low in NSCs is important and has the hay been checked out too?
                                If he has a sensitive belly, how about a nutrient buffer?
                                Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                                Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                                "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

Working...
                                X