• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gelding needing groceries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelding needing groceries

I bought a gelding this weekend who structurally is really nice, but is in really poor condition. The other mares on the farm with him are fat and happy, but this guy is really thin. It was not an expensive purchase, really a rescue situation really, but I'm hoping that after he is fat an happy he'll be my driving horse. He's quite a bit bigger than the mares, so I figure we're looking at long term underfeeding. I was told he has never had his teeth floated, and is ten. I'm putting him on free choice hay, and beet pulp, with his teeth floated. Is there anything else I can do besides give him loves and treats? He's not going to be ridden until he's in better condition, and I'm sure putting a bit in his mouth is likely to be painful until his teeth are done...

I haven't had a horse in a few years, and never one this thin. Just am rusty and wondering if I'm forgetting anything.

Have your vet check for parasites and deworm him if needed. Watch for signs of ulcers too. Oil or rice bran can help add weight and put a shine on his coat.

Comment

ditto what mypaintwattie said.

I use Omega Horsehine for all three of mine, but Paco was tough. It just didn't seem to be doing the trick. So ClassicSportHorses recommended trying Omegatin. We are only a few feedings in but there is a difference already. His personality changed, and he has much, much more energy. Not hot or anything, just more "himself".

I think it has around 2000 calories per pound and it is a small soakable pellet, so you don't have to have them eating mountainous bowlfuls of food and it is easy on the mouth for seniors and those needing some dental work.
      I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

You might want to look into a supplement called gamma-oryzanol. It is based on rice bran, and the product that I have is liquid and is put onto the feed. My elderly, nearly toothless pony lost a lot of weight this past winter, but has plumped up nicely with the addition of oryzanol to his diet. The pony loves the taste of it. It's not expensive, at least not in the quantities that the pony gets each day.
        My Equestrian Art Photography page

Comment

feed alfalfa

Your best bet is to feed alfalfa this is based on research done by Dr Stull at UC Davis

Please read the research performed by Dr Stull at UCD

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...on-hr03jul.pdf

Additionally get some Ration Plus which is a probiotic which is proven to help with weight gain in under weight horses. I would steer clear of grain and high fat until the horses is stabilized. Your idea of feeding beet pulp is a good one.

Clair

Clair Thunes, PhD
          Independent Equine Nutritionist
          clair@equilibrateequine.com
          www.equilibrateequine.com

Comment

Why not just stick to lots of good hay and the beet pulp for longer then, what? Five days now?

Resist the urge to try to speed things along with added supplements when good hay and time is going to get that job done with much greater safety. I have also had great luck with alfalfa...get the mix and introduce it slowly. If you can't get decent alfalfa hay, get the cubes and soak them, start with just a couple of cubes twice a day. I always liked to have another hay available for just munching and not overfeed the alfalfa to one that's poor, even as a mixed hay.

Multiple small feedings is best for them. If you want to introduce grain or some kind of feed mix, wait until he recovers some condition then start with small quantities...like 1/2 pound twice a day. With good hay most of them never need much more then that anyway.

CAREFUL with the wormer. If he has been neglected, you can kill him causing a massive die off. Your vet can design a program that can safely rid him of years worth of worms without causing impaction colic or internal problems from dead worms. Sounds awful, doesn't it? Bleeech-but be careful because that does happen with neglected horses.

I think we get victimized by wanting to do too much too fast so hold off for a bit on the pricey additives he may not even need.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Hard keeper

The beet pulp will not really add calories to his diet(is pretty much fiber like oatmeal for humans) rice bran is a better option. We rescue PMU foals and they come to us in very poor condition, we feed unlimited lesser quality hay at first the begin to offer the better quality hay, as a rule of thumb we make sure the feeders are never empty (but then neither is the muck bucket!) A horse that has not been well fed is best approached from a slow and steady stand point. De-worming is essential we have successfully de-wormed our new arrivals with the Panacur power pack, but always hold off till we are sure the gut is working properly! Best advice anyone can give you is have him examined by a vet, they will check for gut sounds, capillary refill times, etc.. And should then work with you on a re-hab schedule. Thanks for looking beyond what he is and seeing what he can be! Wish you all the best with him!

Comment

beet pulp is fantastic calories

I have to disagree that beet pulp is not a source of calories. It is a fantastic source of calories which come from easily fermentable fiber. Don't be put off by the fact it is a by product of sugar industry. Beet pulp has equivalent calorie content to oats but from a different source. Oats the calories come from sugars and starch and beet pulp it comes from pectin and hemicellulose. I would not feed rice bran right now and certainly not in large quantities. The high fat content when fed in large quantities may upset gut function especially in horses whose digestive tracts are not as healthy as they could be. Stick to forage and digestible fiber. As I mentioned previously the research shows that alfalfa and forage are better than processed feeds.

Clair

Clair Thunes, PhD
                Independent Equine Nutritionist,
                clair@equilibrateequine.com

Comment

Beet Pulp vs Rice Bran We'll have to agree to disagree

Well I am not a nutritionist with lots of letters after my name, nor an expert but I have researched this dilema previously, and I too am a research junkie. Here is some interesting information regarding beet pulp and rice bran ultimately it is your choice and an informed choice is always the best way to go! http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/ricebran.shtml
                  Susan Evans Garlinghouse, DVM, MSc
                  Equine Nutrition and Research Geek

Energy content Energy Content
                  (Mcal/lb) comparison to 20% Rice Bran

Bermuda hay,
                  (29-42 days growth).........83...................48%
                  Timothy Hay....................85...................49%
                  Alfalfa hay, early bloom...1.02...................59%
                  Beet Pulp (dry)..............1.28...................74%
                  Oat grain......................1.33................... 77%
                  Wheat bran...................1.34...................78%
                  Rice bran, 15% fat..........1.44...................84%
                  Corn grain......................1.58................... 92%
                  Rice bran, 20% fat...........1.72..................100%
                  Vegetable oil..................4.08...................237%

The above table illustrates that 20% rice bran ranks higher in calories than any of the forage feeds or grains, and slightly less than half of that of pure vegetable oil. As such, rice bran does provide significant calories on a pound for pound basis.

There is an awful lot more information on her site regarding nutrition!

Best of Luck with him!

Comment

Originally posted by loveofhorses View Post
                    The beet pulp will not really add calories to his diet(is pretty much fiber like oatmeal for humans) rice bran is a better option.
                    Not true.
                    Beet pulp is an excellent calorie source for equids.

And oatmeal is reasonably well digested by humans.
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by loveofhorses View Post
                      Well I am not a nutritionist with lots of letters after my name, nor an expert but I have researched this dilema previously, and I too am a research junkie. Here is some interesting information regarding beet pulp and rice bran ultimately it is your choice and an informed choice is always the best way to go! http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/ricebran.shtml
                      Susan Evans Garlinghouse, DVM, MSc
                      Equine Nutrition and Research Geek

Energy content Energy Content
                      (Mcal/lb) comparison to 20% Rice Bran

Bermuda hay,
                      (29-42 days growth).........83...................48%
                      Timothy Hay....................85...................49%
                      Alfalfa hay, early bloom...1.02...................59%
                      Beet Pulp (dry)..............1.28...................74%
                      Oat grain......................1.33................... 77%
                      Wheat bran...................1.34...................78%
                      Rice bran, 15% fat..........1.44...................84%
                      Corn grain......................1.58................... 92%
                      Rice bran, 20% fat...........1.72..................100%
                      Vegetable oil..................4.08...................237%

The above table illustrates that 20% rice bran ranks higher in calories than any of the forage feeds or grains, and slightly less than half of that of pure vegetable oil. As such, rice bran does provide significant calories on a pound for pound basis.

There is an awful lot more information on her site regarding nutrition!

Best of Luck with him!
                      I don't think anyone is arguing that, pound for pound, rice bran is not a highly caloric feedstuff.
                      The salient point is that there are other factors to consider, and that the fat content of rice bran limits its usefulness as a source of calories in the horse.
                      And your own citation from Dr. Garlinghouse shows that beet pulp is a good source of calories

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                        Why not just stick to lots of good hay and the beet pulp for longer then, what? Five days now?
                        I'm not in a huge hurry to get weight on him...I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was forgetting. Like I said, it's been a few years since I had a horse, and I've never had one emaciated like this one is.

Comment

Originally posted by Monizuki2 View Post
                          ...I've never had one emaciated like this one is.
                          I sure hope you haven't. And never do again.

Just pass on the pricey stuff and stick to the basics of good hay and lots of it, I do like the beet pulp, proper vet attention (and, again, don't rush to kill all those worms at once), lots of clean water and TIME.

Resist the urge to go out and buy stuff. You don't need it. In time maybe add a hoof/skin supplement and you can add some kind of general supplement if it makes you happy. But right now, let him catch up on what he has been missing. Hay.

Took mine 30 days to regain any kind of condition at all, 6 months to presentable, almost a year to the show ring. Mostly with free choice hay and some alfalfa.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

A couple things I've done in the past too are put them on Red Cell for a month or two. And then a good probiotic to help him utilize his food as much as possible.

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Good deal...that's exactly what we're doing. I'm obviously not riding him, but I'm going and saying hi every day (he's being boarded). His ground manners are rusty and he's iffy about his ears, so I'm basically playing with his ears and giving him treats when he's chill about his ears. He was tough to catch at first, but he's easy now, and I've already noticed somewhat of a difference in his body mass. I've spoken to the vet, and he says he wants to come out in a couple weeks when he's gotten some weight on his bones so he can assess whether or not he's stable enough to sedate for teeth and then set up a worminng schedule.

Comment

What about a horse that has turned skin and bones, but doesn't want to eat anything?

The vet has been out and they have tried everything.

It's not my horse, I'm just watching him waste away and they are all trying to get him to eat.

He does love sugary things. I gave him a granola bar with nuts and friut today and he gobbled it up. Then tried to offer him soaked alfalfa pellets and he turns his nose up.

It's really non of my business and the owners are trying. I'm just curious about real live sweet fead the old kind with oats, corn, malasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallasgreenie View Post
                                  What about a horse that has turned skin and bones, but doesn't want to eat anything?

The vet has been out and they have tried everything.

It's not my horse, I'm just watching him waste away and they are all trying to get him to eat.

He does love sugary things. I gave him a granola bar with nuts and friut today and he gobbled it up. Then tried to offer him soaked alfalfa pellets and he turns his nose up.

It's really non of my business and the owners are trying. I'm just curious about real live sweet fead the old kind with oats, corn, malasses.
                                  Well, as I sometimes admit when I'm dealing with a small animal in which part of the medical management is dietary, the best diet in the world isn't doing any good if the animal won't eat it.

If there's no IR/Cushing's/laminitis issue, I'd certainly try adding sweet feed or molasses or chopped apples etc.

Not near enough info given to make any real stab at diagnosing this critter, but from the sounds of it, I'd be suspicious of Something Bad Inside.

Comment

No Red cell

I would strongly recommend against gicing red cell unless you know there has been blood loss eg a bleeding ulcer. Horses are rarely anemic due to iron deficiency as their diets tend to be high in iron. It is far more likely to be copper and selenium. Looking at RBC on a CBC blood panel does not tell you if the horse has iron anemia the only way to tell is to get a ferritin test through kansas state. Giving red cell when it is not needed can lead to iron overload and possibly other issues. The horse has no way to get rid of excess iron except through blood loss and little bit in sweat. The excess iron will sit in their liver.

Now something like the probiotic Ration Plus would be a very good idea.

And as for the other horse who is wasting away. I agree re the best diet being worthless if they won't eat it. I lost a horse to colic where his cecum telescoped and passed through itself for want of a better description. He wanted to eat and would pick a few things but really had no appetite at all. We were way in the middle of nowhere at a time when surgery was rarely an option and sadly we lost him. I also know horses with liver failure who have no appetite. I assume extensive blood work has been done on this horse so they have an idea of kidney and liver function. Dehydration can set in after a while and this will also not help. It becomes a very tricky downhill spiral which can be hard to get out of. I would agree with Ghazzu that it is likely that there might be something ominous that they can not see.

Clair
                                    Independent Equine Nutritionist

Comment

Working...
                                    X