• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Magic Cushion hoof packing--anyone tried it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Cushion hoof packing--anyone tried it?

A friend/fellow boarder just picked some of this up, and we are thinking that it might help the horses a bit, since we are now dealing with hard ground.

Has anyone used this product? If so, what were your results?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    A friend/fellow boarder just picked some of this up, and we are thinking that it might help the horses a bit, since we are now dealing with hard ground.

Has anyone used this product? If so, what were your results?
    Great stuff! It does work. It tests though - so don't use it and go to rated shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
      Great stuff! It does work. It tests though - so don't use it and go to rated shows.
      From the Magic Cushion Web Site (http://www.premierequinehealth.com/mchp.htm)

(underlining and bolding my emphasis)
      "Magic Cushion is formulated for use after hard work or the day before and all the days of athletic events. It is a natural product and will not test positive in any equine athletic discipline."

Premier Equine
      Health Products, LLC
      18070 Raymond Road
      Marysville, OH 43040
      Phone: (937) 642-9813
      Fax: (937) 642-7880
      Email: geldem@aol.com

Comment

I'm curious how it sets up for most people. I've been trying it for shows with harder footing. I had heard it sets up well and stays in but I haven't had any luck w/ that so far, I've had to vet wrap the hoof to keep it in much the way you would do other packing the night before. The consistency in the container is how it has stayed in the hoof for me. I would like to try it while showing, any suggestions?

Comment

It is not going to stay in their hoof without some sort of wrap or pad to hold it in place. Elastikon works very well.

It's great stuff.
          Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Rick, for the clarification!

I put some in my horse's feet last night, vetwrapped them, put some duct tape over it, and turned her out. I am going out to the barn shortly, and will be interested to see whether any of it stayed in (I'm sure the "boot" wore off with her walking around.)

Has anyone noticed any measurable results after using it??

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dawglover View Post
              It is not going to stay in their hoof without some sort of wrap or pad to hold it in place. Elastikon works very well.

It's great stuff.
              Ah, Elastikon! SOO pricey! (And sticky!) I'm sure it would do the trick, but then removing it might be a bit of a challenge...

Comment

Love it. Love it. Love it.

HATE trying to get it off the back of the pastern though!

Comment

• Original Poster

After reading the website, I don't think I put enough in there (it didn't cover the frog.) Good to have instructions (there are none on the tub it came in.)

I can't wait to see what it looks like the day after the application

Comment

Originally posted by HandsomeBayFarm View Post
                    HATE trying to get it off the back of the pastern though!
                    Try using alcohol

Comment

Currently I'm using it on a horse with an abscess. That's why I'm usuing the very pricey and very sticky Elastikon. It won't come off during overnight turnout even if it rains...

If you're using vet wrap/duct tape they'll usually walk out of the bandage, at least mine do. A little MC will stick to the foot if the bandage falls off but not enough to be therapeutic.

I have also used it on horses with ouchy feet from long trail rides, etc.

Slather the back of the pastern with Vaseline before applying the Magic Cushion and it won't stick to their hair.
                      Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Comment

Been using it for our TB. Shoer packs it in before putting leather pad and shoe on. Supposed to help keep moisture and yucky stuff from growing under pad. It seems to work well my only concern is that it doesn't seem to stay in place and squishes out where ever it can. I think after a week or so it hardens but not sure if it hardens in the right places? Kinda expensive

Comment

Originally posted by remedyroo View Post
                          It seems to work well my only concern is that it doesn't seem to stay in place and squishes out where ever it can.
                          Is your farrier using oakum in conjunction with the MC under the pad? If not, IME, he should. It will help keep the MC in place.
                          I think after a week or so it hardens but not sure if it hardens in the right places?
                          It depends.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Burten View Post
                            From the Magic Cushion Web Site (http://www.premierequinehealth.com/mchp.htm)

(underlining and bolding my emphasis)
                            "Magic Cushion is formulated for use after hard work or the day before and all the days of athletic events. It is a natural product and will not test positive in any equine athletic discipline."

Premier Equine
                            Health Products, LLC
                            18070 Raymond Road
                            Marysville, OH 43040
                            Phone: (937) 642-9813
                            Fax: (937) 642-7880
                            Email: geldem@aol.com

Per my conversation with the developer he has not, as of today, provided ME with a F.E.I. conformation that Magic Cushion doen't test.

Thus my F.E.I. horses go without ! I used to but $2k worth every six months.

Comment

Mr. Burten, Could you please tell me what "oakum" is? and why should it be inconjuction with the MC? Will it help it stay in place?

Thank you

Comment

My hunter uses it under his leather pads. I was tested last year while using it and all was fine. The site clearly indicates it does not test but a straight answer from a human from the company would be a comfort. I feel, after my experience, that it is OK.

Comment

I was under the impression that it contains capsaicin, which if it gets into the horse's system (if there is a crack in the frog or the skin) that it could test.

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember that from the discussions about the Olympic horses who tested for capsaicin.
                                  "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

it is used on the racetrack all the time, never had a bad test .(yet)

Comment

Originally posted by remedyroo View Post
                                      Mr. Burten, Could you please tell me what "oakum" is? and why should it be inconjuction with the MC? Will it help it stay in place?

Thank you
                                      Oakum is loosely twisted hemp or jute fiber, impregnated with tar or a tar derivative. It used to be a mainstay in the shipbuilder's and plumber's tool and repair box.

Its used in conjunction with many "soft" hoof packings such as Forshner's, Hawthorn's, Pine Tar and Venice Turpentine because it forms a 'matrix' that holds the other product in place.

Comment

Working...
                                      X