• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE (one week later): Facial nerve damage and a rather sick boy :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE (one week later): Facial nerve damage and a rather sick boy :(

My beautiful, beautiful Cooper was gelded yesterday. The vet left before he even woke up and when he finally got to his feet, the lower right side of his face was PARALIZED!! His entire lower lip is drooping down three inches and his upper lip is fixed in a sideways "sneer". He can get food in, but a lot just falls onto the ground. He seems to chew OK, but I'm worried about him biting his lip and not knowing it! The vet was scheduled to come back today, but got injured and was supposed to have someone come in his place but they never came and never called. I just moved here and cannot believe what has happened! The clinic was closed by the time I decided I wasn't going to get a call back and now it's the weekend. I'm going to call them tomorrow, although the vet who gelded him I know will be out of town for two weeks.

Does ANYONE have any experience with this? Can someone please tell me he'll get better!!!!!
    Last edited by pwynnnorman; Aug. 11, 2006, 09:59 PM.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

get another vet asap sod them its emergency an thats disgusting that hes so called gone off and left you then says hes injuryed in some way
    very odd

CALL ANOTHER VET EMERGENCY SERVICES NOW ---

Comment

dont leave him over the week end get anoter vet its not normal

Comment

My only experience with this is as follows:

Pony foundered VERY badly, for a couple of days was down and when she was finally up again her face was paralyzed on one side.

As disturbing as it was to see, the vet assured us that with time she would be fine. A couple weeks later she was back to her beautiful self again She was still in bad shape foot wise, but her face was normal.

Hopefully it will be the same with your boy! Keep us posted.
        Erin and
        Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

Our pinto pony had a similar thing happened--we came in the barn one morning and he had a huge hematoma over his eye and the whole right side of his face was paralyzed. Long story short, the vet was certain there was some particle in the hematoma because is drained for a long time, but we never found anything. The hematoma eventually went down, but it took about 6 months for his face to return to normal. After that he looked perfectly fine.

We found that soaking his pellets and hay helped him eat and we continued to drive him once the bridle/blinkers didn't interfere with the hematoma. He actually looked much better with a bridle on - it pulled up the right side of his lips so they looked normal.

Jingles to your boy!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the reassurances.

One way or another, I'll get someone to look at him tomorrow. I live less than 1/2 mile from a vet who I know will be available. Why is it always the PRETTY ones???
            Sportponies Unlimited
            Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Comment

Years ago I had a horse with EPM - he recovered, but had facial nerve damage - his lip was "twisty" (off to the side). They said he would never return to normal, but slooowly, over a couple of years, he became 100% normal again.

Comment

I have a 5yo mare that is paralized on the side of her face, caused by a kick. She has no motion on her left ear all the way down to her nostril, she also appears to have a sideways "snear."
                Vet said that if accupuncture had been performmed at the time of the injury, her appearance would have/ may have been improved. I got the horse over 18 months after the injury, so no proactive treatment was done. She performs great however, and is a lesson horse for kids. Also noteworthy: part of her tounge was amputated as it had no feeling/use as well. Something you may want to check for.
                She turned out to be a great horse.
                I am wishing for yours to return to normal as others had mentioned!!
                www.southernoaksequestrian.com

Comment

I am pretty sure your horse will be back to normal soon. But, IMO your vet was very unprofessional by leaving before your horse had woken up. My vets have always waited around and made sure the horse is fine and up and walking and eating. I would be fuming!!

Comment

Iatrogenic (caused by the vet) facial nerve damage and no follow up? I'd certainly get a new vet asap, and send the bill to the old vet (with any needed legal action)
                    I've been told in several of my classes to be VERY careful not to cause facial nerve paralysis during castration and other procedures. Your vet seems to have missed that point, and isn't too concerned either...
                    Last edited by Zoomer; Oct. 2, 2006, 12:03 AM. Reason: (haha, got my terms backwards...)

Comment

I hope you don't mind if I ask, how can castration affect a nerve in the face?
                      When the immediate emergency is over you might want to try homeoopathic Hypericum 100C to help heal the nerve, or speak to someone knowledgeable about it.
                      Visit my barefoot blog:
                      http://barefoothoofcare.wordpress.com/
                      "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Comment

I suspect he will befine and it will reverse itself with some time BUT I would REALLY go after the vet. Not so much because of the nerve, it happens sometimes, but becuase I would NEVER put up with a vet that did not wait for the horse to come out of anesthesia and return to their feet!!!! The is TOTALLY malpractice in my opinion, I would tell him/her they are up for a LAWSUIT!
                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Don't pay your vet bill - that vet wasn't worth it. It might have been some sort of strange reaction to whatever anesthetic drug your horse was given, BUT he absolutely should have been there until your horse stood up and walked, although it isn't unusual for them to leave before the drugs wear off completely. And with a reaction as significant as that, someone should have seen him ASAP.

I will say that I had a horse suffer an accident several years back in his stall where he caught a hind foot in a cribbing muzzle halter. To make a very painful long story short, one of his injuries was severe nerve damage to his nose where it was twisted totally sideways. He had difficulty eating and we had to soak his food until it was mush. My vet and the local vet university assured me he would recover with time. They were right - within 6 months, I was the only one who could tell his nose had ever been twisted. Within a year, it was gone completely.
                          Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by pwynnnorman
                            My beautiful, beautiful Cooper was gelded yesterday. The vet left before he even woke up and when he finally got to his feet, the lower right side of his face was PARALIZED!! His entire lower lip is drooping down three inches and his upper lip is fixed in a sideways "sneer". He can get food in, but a lot just falls onto the ground. He seems to chew OK, but I'm worried about him biting his lip and not knowing it! The vet was scheduled to come back today, but got injured and was supposed to have someone come in his place but they never came and never called. I just moved here and cannot believe what has happened! The clinic was closed by the time I decided I wasn't going to get a call back and now it's the weekend. I'm going to call them tomorrow, although the vet who gelded him I know will be out of town for two weeks.

Does ANYONE have any experience with this? Can someone please tell me he'll get better!!!!!
                            I'll hazard a guess that either the halter was not removed while the horse was down, or that the head was not padded at all?

Pressure on the facial nerve can cause paralysis of this sort.
                            The good news is that it usually resolves in short order.

and I'm with the group that finds it odd that the vet left beofre the horse was up
                            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Facial nerve paralysis in this case probably came from the pressure of the colt laying on that side of his face for a prolonged period of time with out adequate padding and the halter still on its head. Halter lays right on facial nerve and may cause temporary paralysis due to excessive pressure ( laying on that side).Most resolve in a short (few days) period of time. How long was he down for??
                              I'd be pissed at the vet too for leaving before the colt stood and especially for not coming back out to check on him once a problem was noted.. !!!!!
                              Luv2Jump

Comment

One of my boys aquired that punch-drunk boxer look during the gelding procedure. I was told it was a result of constant pressure on his face while he was out. I don't know if he was leaning into the ring on his halter, or if someone was kneeling on his face -- he came into my possession a few weeks after being gelded so I wasn't there when it happened.

He was back to normal in a few months. I think it bothered me more than it bothered him.

Availability is a high priority in my choice of vet clinic. Pagers, answering services, cell phones, back-up vets on call...they have the technology to be there (in person or on the phone) when I need them.

Comment

I worked on such a horse once, lovely big tb childrems; hunter had be "shanked " on I used a softidt klaser , and TTOUCHHorse ws able to close, andreopenhis ye,after . I'd ggive it a try.It's hard enough dealing with as a human, can't imagine asa horse. I'm surethr ar ttOUCHVoractitioner inyourrea who could teacgh you If youhavedeifficulty findin one trythe national ifficel
                                  breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

yeap i would go for law suit -- as to me to walk off and not wait for the baby to come round is a no no

Comment

I had a mare who had an operation as a foal and ended up with facial nerve paralysis. The face did come right in the end - but in actual fact, I think she just grew into slack face. Once she was older and under saddle, she ended up being a roarer. The vet who did the scope asked me if she had ever had an anesthetic. One of her laryngial (sp) flaps was completely paralysed. I was told that this can happen if the aneasthetic is administered carelessly (especially in a small foal) and the needle or some of the anesthetic touches the nerve.

When I confirmed that she had had an anaesthetic as a foal, the vet immediatly asked me if she had had a paralysed face afterwards!! I had the mare operated on and she went on to event well, but you really don't want something like that to happen as a result of "carelessness".

Comment

i work for a vet here in town. we leave if the owners feel in control of being with the horse as it gets up, if not we stay. also we tell them to be there the whole time, not to leave said horse unattended. i have seen this in other horses happen when gelding. it always seems that someone or something was pressing on the neck and head when this happened.do not go the weekend without calling someone as this can be permenant! also try an acc/chiro, that seemed to help the ones i have seen. i have the # of the best guy in the ocala area, just pm me for his info. dr.greg fowler.
                                        as for not paying the vet bill, not the right thing to do, stuff like this happens, would you not pay your vet bill if said horse was in surgery and died? you need to talk to the vet/clinic about what happened. no procedure is 100% guarenteed, people make mistakes. but give them a chance to fix it before you go and get yourself all worked up. this can be fixed, just need to get on it asap. the longer you wait, the longer it will take to fix. this happens more than you think. maybe horses head was tilted or not laid down properly,we never take the halters off, put a towel over eye that is up and make sure the head is not at a bad angle, also nobodys sits or puts any pressure on the neck or head. i hope you can get this worked out this weekend, and don't worry yourself to death. just get on the phone and talk to said clinic and please try to get in touch with dr.fowler.
                                        www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Comment

Working...
                                        X