• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should I geld or should I Keep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I geld or should I Keep?

Hi, I got my baby Slick Spirit from a horse rescue in alberta. He is calm, docile, with a personality like no other and even at just a year, he lets the kids ride around on him!
    He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines. Slick is REALY looking like an albertan mustang right now, but when I first got him he looked mostly like a percheron x (he had a huge perchy neck).
    This woman I know came out and inspected him. She said that he is going to fill out nice and stocky. Now, I know a person who got a mustang stallion at 18 months from a wild herd and used him as a stud, and get this, his stallion was so docile, he could hold it with bailing twine in front of a mare in heat!!
    I am wondering if I should geld him or not, he has already dropped and has bred to one of my mares, but is still not very studdish. He is kept with a sweet and loving gelding and never acts out around other horses.
    I plan to use him in and am starting training in western and possibley barrel racing and cutting.
    When he was 6 months old and I first got him shipped over here, he would follow me up mountains and scale cliffs! Places no one has ever gotten there horse to go! Since then, he has followed me on the road without even a lead rope!! We have past other full grown and well educated horses from a english training barn, and they were scattered all over the road and holding up traffic, while we were on the side passing them and never once veering into traffic.

I'm not one for registered horses and I find no value in pedigrees. Should I keep him a stud? He has a beautiful color, is very dosile, conformation is amazing, and has the perfect attitude on everything! So, should I geld him? Or should I keep him a stud?

no to sure how old he is if hes about 19mths he would still be docilish once hes matured then he could turn stalllionish and beat up on your geldings really it depends on the horse itself but for me i owuldnt risk it

you couldnt be a bit restricted at shows ansd stuff and if your trail riding and do happaen to go out with a bunce of mares to be honest you will never know what way he will re-act personnally unless he was some sort of great horse then i would have him gelded and i wouldnt also have him geld for a -- piece of mind and b-- so no unoffical breeding with unwanted horses as therees enough already with unresponsiple people-- no offence meant

Comment

improve him

no reason to keep a stud.
      A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by palagurl
        He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines.
        He will make a wonderful gelding.

He simply has absolutely nothing to offer the horse world in the way of reproducing.

Comment

If it has testicles, that is reason enough to cut them off.

I have a coming two year old 3/4 TB, 1/4 QH that is unregisterable because his sire does not have enough points to register Appendix's. He has perfect conformation and an incredible temperament. Still, no question about gelding him... every great stallion makes an even better gelding
          "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
          ---
          The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

As someone who regularly sees where many of the unregistered breeding "projects" end up (low end auction where killers shop), I'm strongly against keeping a stallion 'because we like the dad' or 'because people nearby have mares', especially an unreg/unrated grade one. Too many of these breeding "projects" turn out to be not very useful or marketable, & the offspring end up terrible places.

Papers or not, you personally don't need to start a breeding farm. You have no way of knowing how he'll be when he hits sexual maturity, to you or to other horses. And if you realise this later and geld him late, he may remain studdish and a general PITA.

You got him because you wanted a sweet riding horse. Gelding him insures he remains sweet.
            Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Geld. There are too many stallions around, why add to the problem.

Comment

In general, if you're even asking the question, geld.
                "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I agree with everyone else, geld.

Comment

Geld, but for a little different reason. I'm also not obsessed with papers to put it mildly (out of my 6 horses, only 2 are registered and I would have bought both of them without papers and do not consider either of those mares breeding quality).

The problem with breeding a horse like your boy is that you have no idea what is going to come out. If he was unregistered but you knew that all the horses in his parentage looked basically like him (ie, they were all about his size, had more or less his conformation, had his temperment & brain, etc) I would say wait & see what type of performance record he achieves then make the decision. BUT when you have an unknown background, it becomes more likely that HIS good quality is more of a fluke and that he won't pass it down. You start increasing your likelihood of getting throwback to really unsuitable horses. For example, let say he does really well as a cutting horse. You decide to breed him to some nice cutting mares. But it turns out that when you breed him, the Perchi blood comes out hard as a throw-back. Not good.

Geld him. Will there be days that you regret it? Of course. But all you have to do is go visit some rescues, or a slaughter plant, or your local horse sale auction (late in the evening, when the kill horses start coming up) and you'll be glad.
                    My Photo Albums

Comment

It's pretty expensive to keep and promote a stud. I would fiscally vote to geld. SO Many nice horses out there, why create more?
                      Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by palagurl
                        He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines.

He will make a wonderful gelding.

He simply has absolutely nothing to offer the horse world in the way of reproducing.
                        Well-said. I totally agree.

Besides that ,he came from a rescue. You KNOW these rescues exist b/c there are far too many unwanted horses in the world. We don't need another pretty palomino, well-behaved stud. He's not registered and his breeding is unknown... He's got no redeeming stud qualities.

Comment

geldings are way cute!
                          http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...nibbystrot.jpg
                          http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=IMGP0754.jpg

Comment

Geld him.
                            Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

I don't know... I mean she might be able to get hardship papers with the Gypsy Vanner Association or something along those lines . Forget cutting, it sounds like he would make an excellent reiner... who knows, if Reining is added to the list of Olympic Equestrian Sports this stallion my just be the first winner of GOLD in that discipline! Dude (!), she can lead the horse WITHOUT a lead rope PEOPLE! If that is not the mark of a future champion ... then I just don't know what is... I mean the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Wait.. are you actually serious? Geld him!
                              \"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Comment

Geld.
                                Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

I would gled him but I would weating till he grows a bit more. I am so not into this gleding at 1. They do not grow as much that is why most here look so small and thin. In Ireland and All over Eroupe they do not gled until they are ready to brack and the horses are so much nicer.
                                  AilleXWest
                                  www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

Comment

Geld him- now

Comment

I would "gled" (geld) him as soon as he has dropped which you say he is. Actually, not gelding them has been shown to inhibit growth.

" Horses gelded before puberty usually grow taller than if they were left stallions. The testosterone rush at puberty triggers the closure of the epiphyseal plates (where bone growth takes place), so the stallion essentially quits adding height at puberty. The horse gelded at one year of age has a gradual, delayed puberty and the additional time may allow him to add extra height. "

This is from
                                      http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_he..._aftercare.htm

by Cherry Hill

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer
                                        If it has testicles, that is reason enough to cut them off.
                                        LMAO!
                                        www.savethehorses.org GA Horse Rescue
                                        http://community.webshots.com/user/seahorsefarm

Comment

Working...
                                        X