• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help/suggestions for horse that gets abscesses!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/suggestions for horse that gets abscesses!

Hi!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with suggestions of how to keep abscesses/thrush aka nasty foot syndrome at bay. We have had a LOT of rain this year, and my horse's feet just can't handle it. He gets thrush-y whenever it is wet, and with prolonged periods of wetness he abscesses, despite my best efforts. He is turned out at night, stalled during the day.

He abscessed in March in a hind foot, then last week in a front foot. This time it's a really bad one, vet thinks he might be off for weeks. I missed a competition last weekend because of this, and now will probably miss my next one in about 3 weeks. He's in a considerable amount of pain with this one, and I feel terrible for him

This is what I am currently doing:

Feet are thoroughly cleaned thoroughly every day, and sole paint (from a compound pharmacy, looks like it's iodine, formaldehyde, etc) applied to sole (avoiding frog of course). I use Keratex hoof hardener on the outside.

What SHOULD I be doing? I'm willing to try just about anything.... magic cushion? venice turpentine?

Frequent abscessing is usually diet related, but trimming too much sole could also be a contributing factor. You may be dealing with both.

Reed this: Feeding the Hoof

Comment

Did your vet x-ray, just for a baseline, to see if there is more going on in there?

That is the first we do if a horse has more than one rare abcess.
      We had a horse with reocurring abcesses that had a crack in the coffin bone and that is what was causing those.
      Once the crack finally healed, he quit having abcesses.
      We had another horse that, on x-rays, it was showing he had a naturally extremely thin sole and that was why he was having problems.
      Your horse may be borderline foundering also.

X-rays will rule out much that it could be and then you can go from that, if it is only the conditions the horse is living in, like the continuous mud.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I should have mentioned the following information:

this horse has chronic renal failure. he's only 7 years old, pretty mysterious and a fairly recent discovery (march of this year). So, vet, farrier, and I are all working closely together to get this horse properly managed. Right now we're weaning him off of 10% sweet feed onto McCauleys M30, plus omega 3 fish oil, red cell, and a product called Benefat from progressive nutrition - this all under the advice of vet & his nutritionist consult.

we have base line xrays of the feet that didn't show anything interesting....

I am sure I'm dealing with a gigantic conbination of factors here (biggest of all is renal failure which affects ability to uptake nutrients followed by living in the amazon rainforest aka Lexington KY) but I am trying to manage this issue as best as I can!

Comment

The conditions that are creating the thrush may have nothing at all to do with the abcesses-probably have 2 different issues here.

One thing...that compound for the thrush actually can be overused, most are 2 or 3 times a week. Overuse can make them tender. You may have to keep him in for a few nights to get those feet to dry out. Sticking him back out in the wet just can restart that cycle and keep the environment ripe for the fungus and bacteria regardless of what you put on it.

Far as the abcesses....sometimes you think you beat one but the underlying infection is still there and it will reoccur over and over until the infection is eradicated. Horses that have alot of abcesses either have infections that are never really knocked down or they may have a systemic problem that weakens their immunity and compromises their ability to heal.

Now...you say this one had an abcess in March and now has another in a different foot? Has he had these before or are these the only two? Because right now...you have a too wet environment making the thrush tough and you have 2 abcesses in 2 different feet over 4 months-that's not really a panic issue, maybe just bad timing and luck.

But if he continually has abcess problems over a long period of time? That would indicate an issue. I'm not convinced diet is a culprit with the thrush if he is living in knee deep slop every night but if it does not clear when it dries out, it might be worth looking into.

Also, have you really checked your turn out for anything that could be causing excessive bruising? Abcesses come from brusing and other trauma so rule out the external causes first.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

findeight:
            Yes, one abscess in hind foot in march, current one in front foot. he has had only one abscess before these two, and that was 2 years ago... but then again we have been in a drought the past 2 years, haha!

the thrush does clear up when it dries out, but returns practically instantaneously when it rains again....

pastures are definitely not knee deep slop- lush green grass but the areas around the gates are a mud pit when it's wet out. there also is gravel around the farm in various areas, including around the gates, so bruising from that leading to abscesses might be a possibility... hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by BornToRide View Post
              Frequent abscessing is usually diet related, but trimming too much sole could also be a contributing factor. You may be dealing with both.
              Please explain the diet connection of a horse who is abscessing frequently when there is a lot of moisture in the environment, and not abscessing otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Androcles View Post
                Please explain the diet connection of a horse who is abscessing frequently when there is a lot of moisture in the environment, and not abscessing otherwise.
                I'm sure BornToRide can give a better answer than I can, but my mare recently had a rash of abscesses that were diet related. They showed up worse in the moist environment because their feet expand when really wet, which can create a lot of pressure, making these pockets show up. My mare was showing systems of being IR--we changed the diet--beet pulp, good vit/min supplement, and Mg along with just a wee bit of diet balancer, and her abscesses have stopped, despite all the wetness we've gotten.

Comment

after fighting abscesses for a few years while battling proud flesh i can agree with the diet abscess relationship. once we finally beat the battle of the proud flesh, my horse has only gotten one abscess.. and that was shortly after the proud flesh issue was resolved. good luck its a tough battle.. diet and vitamins are key though..

Comment

Originally posted by Androcles View Post
                    Since you do not seem to be paying attention to what I have said before, I'll repeat it just for you Incorrect diet makes the hoof material weaker with less resistance to environmental factors such as moisture. The moisture than opens the way for pathogens to invade the horn and set up shop, while healthy hoof tissue rarely is affected by such issues, if ever

There definitely is also a connection between thrush and frequent abscessing - both are generally the result of weakness in the hoof tissue that comes from the inside out, unless the abscessing alone is caused by chronically overtrimming the sole. Since this horse has both, I suspect the hoof material is not as healthy and strong as it could be.

Comment

Working...
                    X