• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone have a non-cribber suddenly turn into a cribber?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a non-cribber suddenly turn into a cribber?

Is it possible that a horse that never cribbed before, who might have ulcers (will find out), suddenly start to crib after becoming stressed?

Anyone have any that don't otherwise crib?
    Last edited by Anyplace Farm; Jun. 22, 2009, 07:55 PM. Reason: To give an update

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

My 1st horse suddenly became a cribber and he was not around other cribbers. I had moved him from a small, kind of chaotic farm to my parents private, 10 acre farm, with 3 other laid back horses when he started this behavior. Looking back, I would bet anything he had ulcers-he was off the track, but I just didn't know otherwise. It also followed treatment for Lyme Disease, was on both Tetracycline and Doxy, and as a 1st time horse owner, and 15 years old, I didn't know about ulcers or that a probiotc would've been smart.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just got this guy last night. Night time hauling, 3 hr drive, didn't pull into the farm until 1230A. Past owner swears he doesn't crib (he's from the track though) and I had the oppty to observe the horse in his stall before and after seeing him ridden and he did not show any desire to crib. No cribbing strap marks but that might not mean anything.

So, I'm wondering if ulcer flare ups from the stress of the trip did it. And of course, hoping that with some GastroGuard, and settling in, this goes away. I'm not down with the cribbing. To me, you might as well have a heroin addict in your barn. It rubs me that wrong. Ack!!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

My horse has ulcer's but he never cribbed, though I'm sure stress could be the cause of cribbing, but mainly boredom. At the farm, does your horse have something to play with, like a jolly ball?
        ~He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom~
        -James Huneker

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HowDoYouLikeMeNow View Post
          My horse has ulcer's but he never cribbed, though I'm sure stress could be the cause of cribbing, but mainly boredom. At the farm, does your horse have something to play with, like a jolly ball?
          Not yet. We literally just got him last night. I'm really, really hoping this is a passing thing but will proactively move on this with a scoping and treatment for ulcers if I have to. Have never had a cribber and detest them (as much as I hate to say that).

He was very stressed when he came in, understandably so. Now I feel bad that I didn't sedate him a bit for the trip and give him GastroGuard at the outset of the trip.

He'd grab a bite of his midnight snack, then wheel over to the stall guard, give it a tug, then wheel over to the window, look out, grab some hay, then swing back over to his bucket and so on. Poor guy.

Comment

Gus became a die-hard cribber after tearing his CCL last year. Was on stall rest plus bute for about 6 weeks... that's what did it. In hindsight, he may have had ulcers and I did put him on a few different "tummy" meds. Cribbing stopped 100% when moved to new boarding barn and pasture 24/7. No more crib collar - and he was wearing it up until the day he left the old barn, 5 weeks ago.

So, yep, stress can cause ulcers, among other things. For Gus, cribbing was his outlet. He never showed any other issues... and everything eventually resolved on it's own.

FYI, he was never a cribber before the injury.
            Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
            See G2's blog
            Photos

Comment

I say if you detest cribbers to that extreme *you seriously consider taking him back - IMMEDIATELY--some of us can simply not stand cribbers - I being one! I swore I would never have one and actually bred one-! I thought I had him sold - very nice gelding and people thought they would win everything with him - but they rushed him and ruined him - so I bought him back as they had him on the truck to slaughter!!!! because they could not be patient and ---took them three days to get the back band on him and they hitched him the fourth day - were surprised when they CRASHED * STUPID PEOPLE!! Anyway I have him back and regret it - but did not want him to be killed . So he is living here in the far pasture and shed with one buddy - for life. But I felt I had to as I bred him - before you are emotionally involved take him back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO. And if you don't take him back and he needs a cribbing pony buddy - contact me and I"ll send Sonic your way free of charge! That should indicate something right there. So sorry this has happened to you.
              Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Zu Zu View Post
                I say if you detest cribbers to that extreme *you seriously consider taking him back - IMMEDIATELY--some of us can simply not stand cribbers - I being one! I swore I would never have one and actually bred one-! I thought I had him sold - very nice gelding and people thought they would win everything with him - but they rushed him and ruined him - so I bought him back as they had him on the truck to slaughter!!!! because they could not be patient and ---took them three days to get the back band on him and they hitched him the fourth day - were surprised when they CRASHED * STUPID PEOPLE!! Anyway I have him back and regret it - but did not want him to be killed . So he is living here in the far pasture and shed with one buddy - for life. But I felt I had to as I bred him - before you are emotionally involved take him back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO. And if you don't take him back and he needs a cribbing pony buddy - contact me and I"ll send Sonic your way free of charge! That should indicate something right there. So sorry this has happened to you.
                Like you, I'm one of those people that accepts responsibility of ownership. So, I own him and that's it. He's mine and I'll work with it. My BO has watched him this a.m. and only saw him tug on the stall guard once. He is very stressed so I think he's just doing it out of the newness of everything. We're going to do a week of GastroGuard to help calm things in his tummy down and he has free choice hay and some forage hay in his bucket to mess with. He hasn't pulled on his bucket so that is a good sign. We are also hanging a taller stall guard which will mean he'll have nothing to hook onto (but his bucket). We're kind of doing a wait-and-see for now.

He's a lovely horse and I've waited a long time for him so I'm going to remain patient for now.

Comment

My OTTB turned into a cribber, and the woman I bought her from said she had no vices, and the original ad when the lady bought her off the track also said no vices. She had a very stressful shipping experience from NY to VA, so I would say, absolutely, it's possible. She only does it when she's in her stall and eating, not when she's outside, and she's not particularly distructive (not to mention the *sweetest* horse), so I shrug it off (and she's so thin-skinned I couldn't put a collar on her w/o horrendous rubs resulting). I had her checked for ulcers, and she didn't have a one, go figure.
                  Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

Originally posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
                    Is it possible that a horse that never cribbed before, who might have ulcers (will find out), suddenly start to crib after becoming stressed?

Anyone have any that don't otherwise crib?
                    One of my mares will crib when she's in pain (no ulcers). As the pain reduces, so will the cribbing. Pain gone, no more cribbing.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is all starting to sound a little more encouraging. Poor guy is completely wigged out right now. I know he'll settle but boy do I hate this period of acclimation (sp?).

Comment

Can he see other horses?
                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                          Can he see other horses?
                          Yes. I'm sure that is both helping him but also whipping him up into a frenzy. He's only lived two places in his life, the farm where he was bred, he lived for his first two or three years and Penn Nat'l for the last year or so. He's 5.

Two mares are in with him today and the boys are outside. He can see through both sides of the barn and has a nice, big airy stall.

Poor guy. All the new smells, new sights, new 'people' and not being equipped with the best brain has to be a bit of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
                            This is all starting to sound a little more encouraging. Poor guy is completely wigged out right now. I know he'll settle but boy do I hate this period of acclimation (sp?).
                            The root cause of cribbing in 99% of the cases are boredom and stress. Your guy just moved - if he wasn't already addicted, he's probably stressed out. Spend a lot of bonding time with him to help him settle in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by luvmywalkers View Post
                              The root cause of cribbing in 99% of the cases are boredom and stress. Your guy just moved - if he wasn't already addicted, he's probably stressed out. Spend a lot of bonding time with him to help him settle in.
                              Will be headed out there this evening and will do some grooming, etc.

Comment

I know what you mean about 'hating the acclimation period." I adopted an older OTTB last fall, and this poor guy was so misserable for the first 3 months! He was a 'stall spinner' and 'fence-line walker' and WOULD NOT settle down no matter what I did. Time was my best friend...and ignoring most of the stuff he did (because it drove me nuts). I made sure that he was 'safe' and had to just let him work it out. At the 3 month mark, a switch flipped, and he stopped grinding his bedding into a sea of AAK, and is now the cleanest horse I have. I'll bet your new guy is just one of those horses who can't handle change, and the 'cribbing' will stop as soon as he feels safe and comfortable in his new digs.

Comment

I had one home grown horse that just started one day (after an injury, lots of anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and confinement). Treating for ulcers got rid of most of it.

Bought another one off the track. I was with the horse for 8 hours in his track environment, never even a hint of cribbing, it makes DH crazy, so I was looking for signs. Got the horse home and he cribbed, worse when his body or stomach hurt. It never went away. He died on the operating table of an entrapment that cribbers are 10xs more likely to have than non-cribbing horses.

I used to say I could live with it, but I am not sure I could do it again.
                                  Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TBMaggie View Post
                                    I know what you mean about 'hating the acclimation period." I adopted an older OTTB last fall, and this poor guy was so misserable for the first 3 months! He was a 'stall spinner' and 'fence-line walker' and WOULD NOT settle down no matter what I did. Time was my best friend...and ignoring most of the stuff he did (because it drove me nuts). I made sure that he was 'safe' and had to just let him work it out. At the 3 month mark, a switch flipped, and he stopped grinding his bedding into a sea of AAK, and is now the cleanest horse I have. I'll bet your new guy is just one of those horses who can't handle change, and the 'cribbing' will stop as soon as he feels safe and comfortable in his new digs.
                                    I hope. I'm very stressed about stressing my BO/good friend. I have to imposition people. She's being great but heavens knows what he might stir up over the course of the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by TBMaggie View Post
                                      At the 3 month mark, a switch flipped
                                      We call that taking the deep breath. It takes all of them a different period of time to take theirs.
                                      Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

Maybe your horse needs a mineral that is found in the wood. Try feeding a balanced diet and this might go away.

Comment

Working...
                                        X