• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When do you throw in the towel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you throw in the towel?

I'm so frustrated and seeking a little advice. My 16 yr. old TB hunter, which I bred and raised, is the love and horse of a lifetime. Unfortuntely, he's suffered two unrelated tendon injuries, which I've successfully brought him back from, each requiring a year of rest/rehab.

Over the past few months, he started having trouble w/ lead changes and the vet diagnosed him w/ a misaligned pelvic. This is a highly respected vet working on him, but after six visits, which included adjustments, accupuncture, and massage therapy, along w/ lots of long, low trotting, he's not better. He has weeks were he's good, but the closer he gets to his next vet visit, the worse it becomes.

Now, there is fear that there is something more serious going on back there, such as a tear in the ligment around the sacroiliac area, which would require another 6 months of rehab. At what point do you think that it's time to consider retiring him? If this latest issue ends up being an actual tear in the ligament, it'll mean that he's been off work, due to injury, almost three of the last four years. I don't want to jump ahead of myself, but I also want to be realistic and do what is best for him. He's such a wonderful, talented horse that loves his job. That is what makes this so hard.

Have others here experienced similar situations and if so, what did you do?

brought 3 year old horse home on trial
    horse tries to jump out of stall window. almost cuts front leg off and screws up SI ligament.
    3 months of rest with 1/2 cast on the front leg--then I can break him
    Must buy broken horse.

1 year of riding a showing

1 year of on and off again due to swollen jaw/mouth when molars start causing issues

3 months of riding

3 months off due to bone bruise on front leg

1 year of riding + 1 month off due to torque of SI lig just before the Championships

2 years off
    re tear of the SI lig
    bruising of the navicular, P2, and coffin bones
    torn suspensory and sesmoidal lig
    (maybe I should rename him George of the Jungle--um--watch out for that tree?)

My horse is 8 and I've had him in use for 3 years. My plug will never be pulled. If I didn't spend all of my money on him it would just go down the trap of some other horse's mouth.
    : )

hang in there.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

If he's your love and horse of a lifetime, I'd be inclined to hang in there with the acu and chiro for awhile longer. They can take awhile to really work.

My mare had a torn suspensory (hind/low) and after I rehabbed her, I just turned her out for 2 years to be a pasture potato (I've got too many horses and was showing another one). Big mistake. When I finally brought her back into work, she was so uneven. Her canter to the left was a mess and really going to the left at all, she felt wobbly. It took about 5 chiro treatments, plus three or four acupuncture sessions before she started "holding" the adjustments. (She'd do the same thing your horse does -- feel good right after treatment, then gradually go back to her old crooked/wobbly ways.) In all, it's been about 14 months and she's finally back to her old self consistently.

Since your horse isn't as out of shape as mine was, I'd think he wouldn't take as a long.

Good luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you both....I appreciate your feedback. MP, I sent you a PM.

Comment

If a horse keeps reinjuring himself you have to ask yourself why. The first thing I would investigate is the trimming/shoes even if your vet and everyone else says it's fine. Horses that need constant bodywork maintenance to stay straight have something else going on and the logical place to start searching is the bottom, which supports them.

Comment

No useful advice, but just some encouragement to hang in there, and keep on keeping your guy comfortable.
            Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
            "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Comment

I certainly can sympathize with you. My 17 year old mare has been one lameness recovery after another: High suspensory strain, annular ligament surgeries/shockwave, SI joint etc. I used to joke that she was the "Comeback kid". She has been on progressively lighter duty these past 2 years and this year I finally proclaimed that she is retired to being my "pet". Her hock arthritis has become progressively worse; the upper joint is involved and does not fuse or respond well to injections. In all honesty, she seems happier than she has ever been. She lives in a pasture, has a boyfriend and still gets her daily grooming and hand walks with me. Retiring her was made easier for me because I have a new young horse, but it was still sort of a sad realization that we are both getting older.

It sounds like you are on the right path with your horse, so I would also be inclined to give it one more try.

Comment

Originally posted by Androcles View Post
                If a horse keeps reinjuring himself you have to ask yourself why. The first thing I would investigate is the trimming/shoes even if your vet and everyone else says it's fine. Horses that need constant bodywork maintenance to stay straight have something else going on and the logical place to start searching is the bottom, which supports them.
                I would also look at the trim/shoeing. It certainly may not be the cause, but it could be exacerbating already-existing issues, or it may just not be doing him any favors. My ex-farrier tried to tell me that the way a horse was trimmed would have minimal effect on movement and would not affect structures above the hocks/knees. We agreed to disagree and I found someone new. Horse is now sound, happy and back in work with no problems. In fact she looks better now than she did when I bought her.

So if you have any concerns at all about his feet, I'd urge you to look into that now.
                Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by onelanerode View Post
                  I would also look at the trim/shoeing. It certainly may not be the cause, but it could be exacerbating already-existing issues, or it may just not be doing him any favors.
                  Another possibility is your rehab plan. I think it often takes a long time for horses to build up their musculature/bone density after a long layup.

I am not a horse, so take this with an appropriate grain of salt: But I just came back from an injury that kept me from my usual exercise routine for only a few weeks. It's taken much longer than I ever would have guessed to return to my original level of fitness--and now that I'm starting to feel like myself again, I'm also starting to feel shin splints and other signs that what felt like a slow and steady return to activity was actually too fast.

(On the upside, this experience has made me feel less annoyed about all the months of walking my suspensory rehab horse last year.)

It sounds like your horse has spent more time resting than working in recent years, so a lack of fitness *could* be contributing to his repeat injuries. Or you could just be the victim of bad luck.

I realize that this does not answer your original question. And I extend my sympathies to you for all these problems. I know how stressful it is to have a lame horse. Good luck!

Comment

Been there, AM there, and mine is only 11 Including 2 severed/ruptured tendons.

Vet is coming this week to help me figure out what's wrong THIS time.

You can cry on my shoulder if I can cry on yours

Comment

I am so with you!
                      Facing a similar problem with my 18 yo who I have owned since he was 4. Even for a horse, he is particularly talented at self-destruction. Having survived numerous problems with his front leg including check and suspensory injuries and a cracked cannon bone, he moved on to new territory. Last November he developed a lump on his hind tendon. He has been resting and doing shockwave therapy. Started w/t and didnt seem right. Had vet check and he is not sure if it is the tendon, or the hock, or maybe the stifle or all three! He wants to do blocks.
                      I am also wondering if he is just so unsound that I should find him a pleasant (and cheaper) place to retire. Soooo frustrating!

Comment

I retired my beloved a/a hunter when I felt like I'd peeled all the layers of the onion and addressed what could be addressed, and then starting seeing a cycle/pattern of residual issues. With the benefit of hindsight, I could have had a really fancy replacement with what I spent on vet expenses, farrier, board, rehab and re-training, but there is no point in time prior to what I described above that, when I was going through it, I would have felt comfortable pulling the plug and living with the what-if. It is different in every situation, but I think you have to go with your gut on what is still a reasonable avenue to pursue and wait out, and what is starting to be a reach and maybe is the point in time to stop. Also, factor in the mental and emotional exhaustion - I was drained by the whole experience in my case, and ended up taking a break from riding because I was not ready to commit to my next horse yet. Good luck - it is a painful process to go through.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think it helps to have shoulders to cry on and experiences to share. I don't feel I've exhausted all my avenues, and I plan to let this new vet see him in a couple weeks and go from there. On the selfish side of things, it's hard because I can't afford to keep two horses, so when my guy is 'out', I can't show or do much. I'm an advanced rider, so my trainer allows me to ride any of the sales/green horses or whatever, but none of them can do the divisions I like to do, let alone be as competive as my veteran campaigner. But, that's life, and I'm just whining.

Good luck to everyone!

Comment

• Original Poster

Update

Well, I have good news.....the problem is not the ligament near the SI joint, but rather his left hock. Considering he just had his hocks checked several months ago, he may have torqued it or something, but it's causing him quite a bit of discomfort through the back and right shoulder. Anyway, the vet feels it's not a huge deal and worse case he'll need injected. The hip area that the other vet has been working on actually looks pretty good. It's nice to know all the money and time wasn't spent in vain.

I'm quite relieved we aren't looking at another lengthy lay off. Sigh. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and best wishes. Hopefully, we'll be back to normal before too long!

Comment

Originally posted by chawley View Post
                              Well, I have good news.....the problem is not the ligament near the SI joint, but rather his left hock. Considering he just had his hocks checked several months ago, he may have torqued it or something, but it's causing him quite a bit of discomfort through the back and right shoulder. Anyway, the vet feels it's not a huge deal and worse case he'll need injected. The hip area that the other vet has been working on actually looks pretty good. It's nice to know all the money and time wasn't spent in vain.

I'm quite relieved we aren't looking at another lengthy lay off. Sigh. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and best wishes. Hopefully, we'll be back to normal before too long!
                              If that's the case you should definitely check the medial/lateral balance of the hind feet. as well as the flight path of those feet and how they land.

Comment

That is great news about your horse! I don't know what your boarding arrangements are but if he is in a stall at all I would suggest trying to let him live outside. Horses seem to be much sturdier from injuries when they live out of stalls. I think the constant movement makes them stronger and more limber. Just a thought. I know there are many places that pasture board is just not an option. Good luck!
                                “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
                                ? Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X