• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Benadryl Usage for Allergies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benadryl Usage for Allergies

I am debating about trying Benadryl for my horse who sufferes from terrible allergies due to pollen. His issues are respiratory in nature as he sneezes allot and headshakes. I had him allergy tested in which he tested positive to various tree & grass pollens. The grass pollens really gets to him and the poor guy sneezes while grazing allot.

Anyway for those who have tried Benadryl do you keep your horses on it for long term or just for short periods of time. Also, does Benadryl seem to relieve symptoms quickly?

What I'm thinking is to only use it for short periods of time as I can't see trying to keep him on it all summer. I also have him on chinese herbs and trying grapeseed powder as well. Do you think I could add some Benadryl as well? We have a show in a couple of weeks so I thought maybe putting him on Benadryl for the show. By the way I only show local and there is no drug testing at these shows.

I have been using it on and off for the past month or so with some success. Horse was covered in hives of varying sizes. I was giving him 15 pills twice a day, he is almost 18 hands. I did back him off to ten but the results were not quite as good.

I did talk to my vet about the idea of him living on it, and she said it would not pose any problems. And she also said worse case scenario he can also be treated with dex at the same time. She also said that Benadryl seems to work better and is cheaper than hydroxizine.

I am waiting for my grapeseed to arrive.

Comment

try thomas one fly repellent on sticky works wonders for horses with allegies
      both my copd horse and my sweet-itch now use it and both have shown they tens times happier this year allready -- it works

Comment

I've used it to treat severe hives. It doesn't work as quickly as dexamethasone but it does work. The vet Rx for my horse (a 14.2H Arab) was 20 capsules twice a day (or 10X the maximum adult human dose for a 1,000# horse). Note: that's not carved in stone and really, any use in horses is off label.

It should also be noted mammals quickly (within a few weeks) become refractory to most antihistamines so they really aren't very effective for long term use anyway (and the biggest drawback to cyproheptadine for treating PPID). If I were you, I'd try it out some time BEFORE the show to see if they'll be effective.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
          If I were you, I'd try it out some time BEFORE the show to see if they'll be effective.
          I have a lesson this Saturday so I will start him on it tonight through Saturday and see if it helps him. Hopefully the Benadryl will help him.

I would love to use it for lessons/shows - my fingers are crossed it will give him some relief!!!

Comment

I've used it for hives. 14 pills crushed, twice daily, for a 15.2 horse around 1100lbs. Warning--when crushed they apparently taste vile, so I would syringe them rather than top-dress.
            "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
            Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
              I've used it for hives. 14 pills crushed, twice daily, for a 15.2 horse around 1100lbs. Warning--when crushed they apparently taste vile, so I would syringe them rather than top-dress.
              My horse eats the tablets whole, didn't care from day one.

Comment

I've used it on a short term basis and it worked well. Had my vet write a prescription for it and my pharmacist made it up in a liquid form for me...flavored it too. I just measured it into an open end syringe and then squirted it in my horse's mouth like I would wormer paste. Turned out to be about the same price and much less effort than crushing pills etc.
                A poorly fitted saddle hampers both horse and rider.
                https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Ho-Saddle-Services

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have a problem crushing the pills since I use a coffee grinder but what I didn't like is getting all the little pills out of the foil thing. Ugh - what a pain. My SO bought 2 boxes of them at the grocery store tonight for me to try. If it works I will see about buying larger quantity at Sams or Wal-Mart.

I put the pills in beet pulp which I love mixing stuff in B.P.

Comment

Have you tried TriHist for the allergies? I have used Benadryl for allergic hives but never with respiratory involvment. TriHist is a godsend for one horse with COPD we have here who can't be on Dex.
                    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

i was told that antihistamines don't work well on skin allergies

i've never put a horse on benadryl but i have a dog w/ severe allergies and at one point we put her on benadryl. took her off after a week. she became a total vegetable. her head was dropped, there was no spark to her eye, she lost interest in everything. like a stuffed animal. it was awful! i wonder if it affects horses in similar fashion?
                      http://www.eponashoe.com/
                      TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by marta View Post
                        i wonder if it affects horses in similar fashion?
                        Not in my experience. I've used many times at fairly high doses on two Arabs, both under 1,000#, and did not see any signs of sedation at all (and I was expecting to). YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Acres View Post
                          I don't have a problem crushing the pills since I use a coffee grinder but what I didn't like is getting all the little pills out of the foil thing. Ugh - what a pain. My SO bought 2 boxes of them at the grocery store tonight for me to try. If it works I will see about buying larger quantity at Sams or Wal-Mart.

I put the pills in beet pulp which I love mixing stuff in B.P.
                          They have a generic at Costco. "Kirkland Allergy Medicine." The bottle I have is 400 minitabs (25mg diphenhydramine per pill)....don't recall the cost.
                          Cold Spring Farm
                          German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Comment

A friend of mine used it for her mare when she had a bad case of hives. She said it made her horse very dopey, and unsafe to ride. So it can affect them that way.

I'm battling summertime allergies myself with my mare, and so far the only thing that helped her is dex. Her problems are respiratory, without the head shaking and sneezing. I never tried benedryl, but I guess it might be worth a shot, though I'm not sure if it would really help. Tri-Hist did absolutely nothing for her, and neither did the glenbuteron syrup.

Let us know if it helps your horse, since he has the same type of allergies as my mare. I'd just like to see her breath easily again, let alone ride her!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hailey View Post
                              I'm battling summertime allergies myself with my mare, and so far the only thing that helped her is dex. Her problems are respiratory, without the head shaking and sneezing. I never tried benedryl, but I guess it might be worth a shot, though I'm not sure if it would really help. Tri-Hist did absolutely nothing for her, and neither did the glenbuteron syrup.

Let us know if it helps your horse, since he has the same type of allergies as my mare. I'd just like to see her breath easily again, let alone ride her!
                              Just curious how much Dex do you use and for how long?

So, far the Benadryl hasn't helped yet but he's only been on it since last night and I started him with only 10 tables at 25mg/per tablet. This morning and tonight he got 15 pills each mean. I plan on riding him again in the morning (providing it doesn't rain) and see if he's any better.

The chinese herbs help alot but he's still very sneezy so I'm hoping the Benadryl will help with that. But I am debating about talking to my vet about using Dex for short periods of time as well.

Oh yea, Tri-Hist did nothing for my horse.

Comment

I crush the pills and mix in applesauce - fill large nose syringe and administer like a paste wormer.
                                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I rode him again this morning and he sure wasn't any better, maybe even worse. He normally sneezes for the first 5 minutes then it's not so bad. This morning he was sneezy and headshaking before we even started. He wasn't horrible but I know there wasn't any improvement with the Benadryl. I almost think he was worse so I didn't give him the Benadryl this morning.

Oh, well...back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by theoldgreymare View Post
                                    Have you tried TriHist for the allergies? TriHist is a godsend for one horse with COPD we have here who can't be on Dex.

Just be careful with the TriHist, they *can* develop temporary anhydrosis.

Comment

In answer re: the dex dosage - I got it from the vet as a powder, Azium is the brand name, in 10 mg. packets. I did 6 doses of it, one packet every other day, so it's a very low dose, but very effective. I'm going to call my vet Tuesday to get some for my mare.

Another thing you might consider is spirulena. Some people have had excellent results with it using it for their horses. Horse Journal did one of their tests with it, using it on horses with heaves and allergies, including seasonal headshakers, and got excellent results with it. Only one 20-something pony didn't respond, all the other horses did respond well to it. You can buy it in bulk powder form on line pretty cheaply, but it is a very fine powder and it tends to fly all over the place. Someone was mixing it in with beet pulp. If you board, it can just about be impossible to use it unless your willing to do it yourself. You can't just put it into a plastic baggy with other supplements. You can get it in tablet form from Springtime Inc., but it is pricier, but a lot easier. You give 40 grams a day, divided into 2 servings. With the tablets, that's 10 tabs per feeding, or 20 a day.

Good luck! It's pretty darn frustrating to find something that works sometimes!

Comment

I have the pharmacy order me a large bottle of the 50 mg capsules. It's pretty cheap and avail without a script. My vet recommended trying 50 to 100 mg daily, and could go up from there if needed. The 50 doesn't seem to help, but the 100 kept her symptom free. The capsules are easy, you just break them open over the food. It is a forbidden substance, so even if you are only doing schooling shows, if the show is governed by USEF, you could be fined +++.
                                        Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Working...
                                        X