Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

528KerwinHill-003-HDRInternet
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What ELSE causes slow shedding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The horses at my barn are all sloooowwwwly shedding out this year. They are on a variety of diets with high quality hay and my horse was PowerPacked in March (not sure about the others -- but they are well taken care of). The oldest horse (21) and the youngest horse (3) seem to have shed out the fastest so far. The others are 10 - 16 and they are still shedding and holding onto some fuzzies. Everyone is out 24/7 with shelters in big, green pastures. Only three horses were blanketed in the summer.

The weather has been crazy. Periods of hot days, cold nights, a week of chilly rain, then back to the 80s. Last year my horse was pretty much shed out by early-mid April.

Comment

That's good news. IME, some of the old guys just simply shed out slower. My appy/TB seemed to shed out a little later each year as he progressed in his 20's, and he wasn't Cushingoid. He was an extremely hard keeper, and we lived in New England, where winters are cold and last until approximately July. While I know that shedding and growth occur in relation to daylight, it always seemed like he shedded out a bit slower because nights were still cold and he was always on the thin side. It's not supposed to work that way, but it seemed as though it did anyway.

Just one of the joys of owning a senior citizen, I guess. I love the old guys, extra care an all.

Comment

Glad to hear that your boy is neg for Cushings.

Cushings can manifest itself in so many different ways - or have no apparrant outward, visible signs - which was the case with my own, now tested and confirmed, Cushings horse.

He had none of the "classic" signs; no "classic" hair coat, no late or partial shedding. No history of laminitis/founder. No fat pads. No cresty neck. No excessive urination or drinking. Etc.

While certainly not lethargic, he was more "settled" as he aged.

What sent my vet and I looking for a culprit was a sudden shift in fertility, as evidenced by a pre-breeding season collection and lab. (lower counts, lower motility, more deformities, etc -- and massive amounts of gel)

Because he did not *appear* to have Cushings, it did take us a while to test and diagnose, while we checked/tested and/or treated for and ruled out just about every other possilbility first. While my vet knew that Cushings could certainly explain what we were seeing, the horse did not *appear* be be Cushnoid. Finally, we came back to that and tested. Bingo.

It is possible that we we just happened to catch it early on, before other signs appeared. But today - 8 years later - he still sheds completely, abet a tad later than the others. Still no fad pads, no excess in drinking or urination, etc.

Thyroid level does test off a bit (this began about 3 years after the Cushings diagnosis), thus he's now on Thyro-L. He has now had a lamanitic episode (I believe that it could have been worse, had he not already been on Pergolide.)

Comment

Clip them if you are really concerned.

I have a 6 year old Arab who came to my family this winter in BAD shape vitamin/diet wise. So bad that she was animic to the point that 2 weeks after vitamins started she got a nosebleed....which was an old broken nose that had never healed till the vitamins showed up! This Spring...while the other horses where shedding in our unnatural 90 degree weather in South Dakota....she didn't. Probably for the vitamin thing. So I clipped her. Her coat is coming in shinnyer and much healthier...also she is cool in the weather!

Comment

I noticed my 11 year old paint is not shedding out quickly at all this year. I did not blanket him this winter and he developed a thick coat. Should I be worried? He’s shedding out some with the shedding blade but not nearly as fast as last year.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseGirl1! View Post
              I noticed my 11 year old paint is not shedding out quickly at all this year. I did not blanket him this winter and he developed a thick coat. Should I be worried? He’s shedding out some with the shedding blade but not nearly as fast as last year.
              Rather than tag onto a zombie post, maybe start a new thread?

Depending on where you live he may need that hairy coat for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseGirl1! View Post
                This thread is about to have its 10th birthday. You might want to start a new one.

Comment

The beauty of resurrecting this old thread is that someone thinks this every year - "last year my horse shed out sooner" - but I don't think that is true. I think every single year many people think "my horse should have started shedding" or "should be done shedding now".

Does anyone actually keep track?

January 30: Dear diary, the gelding began to shed today. The mare isn't shedding yet. Will update again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

January 30: Dear diary, the gelding began to shed today. The mare isn't shedding yet. Will update again soon.

This thread was timely for me as I just had the vet out yesterday to pull blood for Cushing's. This was the first year in 5-6 years that he hasn't been clipped, and his shedding pattern seemed a bit irregular to me but I don't have a history to base it on. His other symptoms are peeing/drinking a lot, stocking up more, continued bad skin funk on his legs (he's had it for years, nothing cures it), and his tendons seem thicker -- not really things that *scream* Cushing's. But, we'll see!

If it isn't Cushing's, I will have to start a diary for him so I can track the trend! Lol

Comment

I posted s thread about my 5 year old gelding shedding slowly.. he still is.

I mean I do take photos yearly with time stamps like a real crazy person.

He still looks like a yak! Has very thin, fine coat as well. I guess he’s a typical thin skinned TB
                      https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Originally posted by streamline View Post
                        I posted s thread about my 5 year old gelding shedding slowly.. he still is.

I mean I do take photos yearly with time stamps like a real crazy person.

He still looks like a yak! Has very thin, fine coat as well. I guess he’s a typical thin skinned TB
                        So....maybe that is just normal for him? All horses aren't the same.

My TB is nearly shed out but my ponies and mini are super yaks. My APHA and WB mare are in between.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

So....maybe that is just normal for him? All horses aren't the same.

My TB is nearly shed out but my ponies and mini are super yaks. My APHA and WB mare are in between.
                          It must be! 2nd year of owning him. My other two have already shed out. APHA and OTTB.
                          https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Working...
                          X