• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The mother of all saddle fitting tracings!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mother of all saddle fitting tracings!

I never looked this closely at the Frank Baines site, but this wither tracing profile ROCKS!
    http://www.frankbaines.com/fitforthefuture1.asp

Not only do you take about 5 "wither" tracings all down the back, as opposed to the typical 1, the less typical 2, but you have to take tracings that correspond to the length of the back muscles, under where the panels sit And then of course the measurement along the spine itself.

Excellent

Excellent indeed!

Y'all be sure to read steps 1-4 on the page, but click on steps 5-11, too.

Most excellent because of the traced lines along the muscles on either side of the spine. If you get that curve, you can also make one of the underside of your saddles' panels and appreciate the difference or similarity.

Of course you can do that for the "sideways" fit of your saddle at every point from withers to cantle, too with the five-finger wither tracings.

Like the five finger discount. Or, really, no discount of time, effort... maybe some money because now you really know what you need in real dimensions.

Thanks JB! Thanks Frank Baines. This chart and the many different Baines-made saddles I have seen makes me think the guy's a good saddler.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

bumping for JSwan and RAR and others

Comment

Yeah that's great - until the horse travels long and low, or inverts, or bucks, etc..... The spine and muscles are constantly moving and flexing and it is 100% impossible for a tree to fit the spine and muscles perfectly, all the time, regardless of what the horse is doing, what gait he's in, etc. Besides, you can do the mother of all saddle tracings today, and 2 months from now, that saddle doesn't fit anymore. That's why I ride treeless.

Comment

• Original Poster

AT, of course the tracing is only a starting point. These tracings are FAR more comprehensive than any other site I've seen. You HAVE to start somewhere.

FWIW, treeless was making my horse NQR once his work increased to more back engagement. It worked great until then. It does not work for all horses in all situations.

That is why the philosophy that Balance has, and a few others I've run across, is a great mix of the too. Fit wide and pad for the situation. The benefits of treeless with the stability that some horses and riders require.

Comment

Potential disagreement-- just my 0.02

In my experience-- with many horses but a changing WB I have had for more than a decade-- a good fitting standing still is good enough.

Yes, they change drastically over a lifetime. Yes, they change with work and soundness-- some more than others. Yes, the surface of the back becomes comparatively convex instead of flat or concave when they are moving and using themselves.

But I think the convex and moving is not a the most painful position to fit. I suppose moving, downhill, head in the air is the most painful position to fit. So for most, I'll take a good fitting standing still. I also like to actually ride in the puppy before I buy to see if moving really changes things.

I worry about treeless-- thanks to some of my competitive distance friends. Those guys have amazing standards for saddle fit. Yes, there are raging debates about tree-d vx. untreed saddles. I also take note of the western saddle philosophy: create a big, stiff frame that distributes the pokey three points of bone at the bottom of your pelvis over a broad surface area. A treeless saddle is not designed to do that.

I also notice that a saddle that moves a lot on a horses' back-- usually too wide and curved that rolls back and forth when you post hurts them real bad, real quick. To me, this means that horses do want us to sit on a stable platform.

Again, just my amateur ideas.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I ride endurance and that's why I abandoned treed saddles. I've used 2 saddle fitters and spent untold dollars trying to fit treed saddles, only to have them lame the horse or make white marks months down the road. Never again. I ride a lot of miles every week, and I ride pretty fast. The treeless saddles are the only thing that keeps my horse comfortable and working 100%. You have to use a pad that's designed to disperse pressure through the foam and absorb shock. I also had a set of felted wool inserts made for my pad, which are firm and very supportive. That coupled with the ultracell foam inserts, and you can have a friend kneel on the pad with your hand underneath and you feel no sharp pressure. You cannot use a regular saddle pad. I spent almost 200 just on the pad.

I won't get into the debate any further than this, but just wanted to say that even the best saddle fit tracing in the world are still fitting the back in its static position - and not during movement. The back changes dramatically during the ride, and from day to day, even depending on how hydrated the horse is. I know a lot of distance riders who have gone treeless because it's just better for the horse over the long haul. My horse's recoveries and heart rates improved after switching to treeless. She used to sweat and get extremely agitated going up and down hills. She now just charges them like a freight train without a care in the world. Going treeless made a world of difference for both my riding mares. Not trying to argue or convince anybody of anything - just throwing that out there about what I do and why.

Comment

I've always found doing a cast of the withers and back better than tracings.
                Use a small sheet of plastic and some fast setting paper mache. Plastic sheet the horse and give it a hay bag. Cover sheet with fast setting paper mache...mold to horse's actual back and give it 20 minutes to semi-set. The remove carefully and allow to finish setting off the horse. Voila...your horse's back and withers for saddle purchasing.
                I've done this when saddle shopping before if I wasn't going to use a fitter. That way I can bring my horses' back to the tack shop instead of taking saddles on trail or trailering the horse in.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

My mom was right!

Thanks for the instructions, Mistyblue. I was whining/pontificating to my mom (who good give a rat's a$$) about the impossibility of representing the shape for my horse's back to anyone.

She said, "Just make a mold!"

Duh.

When I get desparate enough I'll try it. Now I'd have to have a good tackstore within driving distance to it to.

But that's another whine for another time.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                    I ride endurance and that's why I abandoned treed saddles. I've used 2 saddle fitters and spent untold dollars trying to fit treed saddles, only to have them lame the horse or make white marks months down the road. Never again. I ride a lot of miles every week, and I ride pretty fast. The treeless saddles are the only thing that keeps my horse comfortable and working 100%. You have to use a pad that's designed to disperse pressure through the foam and absorb shock. I also had a set of felted wool inserts made for my pad, which are firm and very supportive. That coupled with the ultracell foam inserts, and you can have a friend kneel on the pad with your hand underneath and you feel no sharp pressure. You cannot use a regular saddle pad. I spent almost 200 just on the pad.
                    Nobody is saying treeless is not a great option for many horses in some form. *I* am saying that treeless is not for every rider or every horse. Not all treeless saddles are made the same way. Not all horses like that "instability", no matter what. Certainly not all riders like it.

I won't get into the debate any further than this, but just wanted to say that even the best saddle fit tracing in the world are still fitting the back in its static position - and not during movement. The back changes dramatically during the ride, and from day to day, even depending on how hydrated the horse is. I know a lot of distance riders who have gone treeless because it's just better for the horse over the long haul. My horse's recoveries and heart rates improved after switching to treeless. She used to sweat and get extremely agitated going up and down hills. She now just charges them like a freight train without a care in the world. Going treeless made a world of difference for both my riding mares. Not trying to argue or convince anybody of anything - just throwing that out there about what I do and why.
                    Sure, and for MANY horses and riders, treed saddles are the right answer, IF they are done well. Like I said, the Balance philosophy is almost a mix of treed and treeless, because you're fitting wide, and using non-trivial padding that provides a much different buffer between the saddle and the horse than a thin cotton pad or even a regular fleece pad.

Different strokes for different horses

Comment

Cashel has something called the Soft Saddle. Would this be the same as a treeless saddle?

Here mis what the catalog states: Quoted to the letter.

"Layers of Cashel closed cell foam and neoprene are constructed over a sculped front and back foam wedge to provide a lightweight, secure, close seat contact without painful pressure points. Comes with removable western stirrups, nylon latigo and nylon off billet strap". They some in med and in large of various colors.

It also has a Cashel Soft Saddle Pad that you can buy to go with it.
                      Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Don't poke the Bear!

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                        Use a small sheet of plastic and some fast setting paper mache. Plastic sheet the horse and give it a hay bag. Cover sheet with fast setting paper mache...mold to horse's actual back and give it 20 minutes to semi-set. The remove carefully and allow to finish setting off the horse. Voila...your horse's back and withers for saddle purchasing.
                        I've done this when saddle shopping before if I wasn't going to use a fitter. That way I can bring my horses' back to the tack shop instead of taking saddles on trail or trailering the horse in.
                        That's genius! Wish I had thought of that!!

And seriously you could probably sell paper mache in a kit and market it as a saddle fitting tool and probably make a million
                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JellyBeanQueen View Post
                          Cashel has something called the Soft Saddle. Would this be the same as a treeless saddle?
                          The Soft Ride is less formed than a typical treeless saddle. It's more like a "formed" bareback pad. I know a couple of folks who trail ride exclusively in this and love it.

Comment

JB treeless did not make your horse sore. ONE treeless model did! :-P

Comment

I trialed a Soft Saddle for a few days and it was the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in! It just didn't work for my horse though because it slipped back pretty bad and needed a breastcollar to keep it forward where it belonged. There is no way those little breastcollar rings would have held up to that load. Granted she is a mutton withered propane barrel. On a horse with decent withers and conformation, it probably works much better.

I had 3 treeless saddles before settling on one that works for me and the horses. There are lots of different models and fitting/customization options for each one. Some people go through 10 before they find the right one. That's no different than finding a treed saddle that works.

Seriously, I wasn't trying to be ugly, or argue! I just won't trust a saddle fit tracing, no matter how thorough it is because the back is dynamic - not static. My *opinion* (nothing more!) is that it is impossible to stick a wodden or fiberglass form on top of the horse's back and make absolute certain that it fits that back 100% every single ride, no matter what the horse is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                                That is absolutely brilliant. I'm off to buy papier-mache.
                                "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LMH View Post
                                  JB treeless did not make your horse sore. ONE treeless model did! :-P
                                  You're right, I thought I clarified that there are different treeless models and not all models, if any, are suitable for all horses/riders

Comment

Make sure to mark on the plastic sheet how far the saddle goes down the back and down the side. I use torn newspaper strips and make my own goop...I make the cooked method because it sets the smoothest. 1 cup flour to every 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and turn off, stirring to keep smooth. Once it's goopy, use it to dip the newspaper or crepe paper in and apply.
                                    Once you let it set long enough to hold it's form, place it with plastic sheet on a saddle rack that has a thick pad over it. After it dries completely...you can make it last forever by brushing/painting it with quixk set acrylic you can get cheap at a craft store. Do that in a ventilated area or risk being high as a kite, LOL!
                                    It's also a fun way to take a cast later on to see if/how the back changes. I still have the cast of my late mare Galopin...she was high withered so the cast helped a lot figuring out saddle fits when I brought it to a tack shop. Even the saddle fitted used it once when I had one out to my place...Gal was tall and didn't like strangers hanging all over her and it was easier to check the fit a second time on the cast.
                                    Use a marker to write the horse's name and date on the inside of the cast if you have more than one horse.
                                    Oh, and don't ride the cast. It breaks.
                                    (stop laughing at how I probably know this)
                                    You jump in the saddle,
                                    Hold onto the bridle!
                                    Jump in the line!
                                    ...Belefonte

Comment

I love the papier mache idea! I've seen those plastic sheets you can buy that you heat up in the oven and then mold to the horse, but they were pretty expensive. I'm going to make molds of the paint pony at different stages of fittening up so I can see how his back changes shape. Thanks, MistyBlue.

And thanks, JB for that great link.
                                      I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Horses with very prominent withers and backbone are usually best served by a treed saddle. I've seen some backbones that no amount padding will keep the rider off--only a gullet can do that. Well, I guess they could have padded it enough, but then the saddle would not feel stable. I'm a treeless fan, but there are some back conformations that don't mix with treeless. JMHO.

A client recently adopted a retired Amish Belgian. His back is so asymmetrical that she is going to have to be very creative in padding him. I helped her to take tracings on two different parts of his back, and it would have been great to have these instructions. Sadly, another boarder, something of a yahoo, has convinced her that the horse will be just fine with a saddle that is waaaay too narrow for him. Convenience wins out, I guess.

p.s. At the last endurance ride where I scribed for a vet, a horse came in with a very sore back. Treeless saddle. The vet was thinking that perhaps the rigging was too far forward, allowing the back of the saddle to twist back and forth as the rider posted. The horse was so sore it was shortstriding badly in the hind. Getting the rigging right for the horse is as important as the fit. Does anybody make sure the rigging matches the horse's girth channel these days?
                                        "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Working...
                                        X