Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spinoff-Trailer "Inspections"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinoff-Trailer "Inspections"

So, as a result of the Sundowner trailer thread, I made some calls in order to have my 2003 Sundowner Stampede SL inspected. Guess what I found out? A regular trailer inspection in NYS, according to the local garages that I called, does not include inspecting the frame/floor. Just the tires, lights/electrical, and breaks. One place told me that they couldn't inspect it at all if the floor was bad-I told them that was what I wanted THEM to look at and they told me to just "check it for holes".

Then, according to that TrailerWorld website, we found a supposed Sundowner dealer that was relatively close only to find out from Sundowner Customer Service that this dealer was NOT an authorized Sundowner Dealer...

Long story short, it's going to cost us $250 for a complete "check-up" for this trailer that isn't even paid off yet-we bought it brand new in September 2004 to AVOID all this crap. Let me tell you, if it needs work, you'll all hear me screaming no matter where you are!
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

No, no, no!

First, you are right. NYS doesn't care if your horse pokes through the floor...or at least the State hasn't thought that this kind of failure happens or could be dangerous. Trailer inspections are remarkably half-a$$ed here.

Second, you shouldn't have to pay anything close to $250 for a once-over of your trailer. Go get it back tomorrow.

Next, ask your horse buddies, your truck guy, even the yellow pages for a good local trailer or RV person. You want one of these people in your corner. They can do all the stuff you need-- repack bearings, deal with electrical problems, some metal work as well as recaulking windows to keep the inside dry.

Where in NYS are you? If you are in my neck of the woods (so unlikely), I have the guy for you. The inspection is usually the cost of the sticker, and I have him check everything on my rig when I have it inspected each December in part to give him the business. He's great and I'm sure you can find one like him near you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

One of the trailer dealers in my area has a workshop and also inspects trailers. I take it in once a year for a routine checkup which includes taking up all the mats and ispecting the floor and frame, brakes, and repacking the wheel bearings. The service is just under $200. The inspection is mostly to check lights and brakes, and they do a quick look under the trailer, check tires.

Comment

I am in VA also and there is a place that will do a complete check-up (doesn't include fixing anything) for about 65. I had not taken it to this place in quite some time, but decided to this year. They also do the VA inspection. I have/had a 1995 Kingston. They called me and told me that the entire frame on the passenger side had rusted through. He said that particular model of Kingston had enclosed the frame and that water/moisture had no way out and thus the frame rusted through. I had no choice but to send my trailer to the trailer graveyard and feel very fortunate that I decided to have this overall inspection done. Last year I spent 800 having brakes, etc., fixed after the routine VA inspection. The mechanic said my trailer didn't rust that much "over night," but I foolishly trusted the routine inspection to discover that type of thing. You really do have to get up underneath the trailer to check out the frame.

Comment

My husband is a mechanic, with his inspection license. In PA he is only required to check the lights, turn signals, and (maybe) the tires on a horse trailer. If you own a horse trailer, it is your responsibility to perform the necessary maintanence that they require to keep them in good condition. His biggest complaint with "horse people" is that they do not grease the hinges, sweep the floor, etc. Lucky for me, I have him to do all of that for me.
          Cindy

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Mali View Post
            My husband is a mechanic, with his inspection license. In PA he is only required to check the lights, turn signals, and (maybe) the tires on a horse trailer. If you own a horse trailer, it is your responsibility to perform the necessary maintanence that they require to keep them in good condition. His biggest complaint with "horse people" is that they do not grease the hinges, sweep the floor, etc. Lucky for me, I have him to do all of that for me.
            We do all that and from what I understand, most of the other Sundowner trailer owners did as well; if the floors & supports rotted out from below, then that means that the undercoating failed. There is not a speck of damage anywhere inside my trailer on the floor or anywhere. Doesn't mean that the supports underneath aren't compromised...and, we park it on gravel, not grass, use it regularly, etc.

My complaint is-why bother with an "inspection" by a qualified mechanic at all if the only thing the mechanic is checking are lights, turn signals and tires...all things the average person can see are working or not. When I have a professional look at something (ie. car, truck, trailer), I would hope that they would be looking for more technical, subtle things that aren't apparent to the average person who doesn't have their knowledge/experience.

So, people could THINK they are doing all the maintenance and that having their annual inspection ensures that their trailer is fine-until a horse gets hurt

Incidentally, we ended up taking to a gentleman who doesn't do inspections, meaning he doesn't issue inspection stickers (our trailer is registered in ME, so we really don't need one anyway). He actually does body work on vehicles and trailers. He was recommended by a friend who has had him do work on her 1995 Trail-et several times.
            JB-Infinity Farm
            www.infinitehorses.com

Comment

Originally posted by spotmenow View Post

So, people could THINK they are doing all the maintenance and that having their annual inspection ensures that their trailer is fine-until a horse gets hurt
              Even if your state does require a more extensive inspection - don't be surprised if it's not performed. Many a state inspector just checks lights (if at all) and slaps a sticker on. Until I found a reliable place I used to have to remind the inspector to check the emergency brake cable and test the battery. Yup - they didn't bother. The place I use now is deadly serious about trailer inspections and they are great to work with.

It's imperative that we ALL learn how to inspect our trailers for signs of wear. How many of us have taken our trailer to an inspector, only to find that many years of problems went undetected until it was too late?

I tell you what - it really pisses me off to no end.

I've seen a trailer "passed" that had a hole in the floor covered with a thin piece of plywood. Big hole - plain as day. Even scarier is that the horse owner kept trailering his horse in that death trap.

Even the best trailer requires much more maintenance than the average horse owner gives it. I don't know what the answer is - other than to learn to do it yourself if your state requires little to no inspection, or your inspectors are unreliable. Like farm implements - trailers require more attention paid to the structure rather than cosmetics. Scrape/sand, rust inhibiting primer - repaint. Check the bolts. Repack bearings. Check wiring. Check your hitch, breakaway cables, etc.
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Simbalism View Post
                One of the trailer dealers in my area has a workshop and also inspects trailers. I take it in once a year for a routine checkup which includes taking up all the mats and ispecting the floor and frame, brakes, and repacking the wheel bearings. The service is just under $200. The inspection is mostly to check lights and brakes, and they do a quick look under the trailer, check tires.
                Where is this place at? You live in SE VA don't you? I'd love to find someone close that can work on my trailer. The manufacturer is excellent but they are 3 hours away.

Comment

Original Poster

OMG - Sundowner, its a design flaw!!!

Just got my trailer back. The guy said that the undercoating on the bottom is flaking off like nobody's business and that the steel frame underneath is only 1/8" thick; he couldn't believe a company would manufacture a trailer that big (its a 3-horse) with such thin steel. He said that even if I have Sundowner sand blast and re-coat it (under warranty), it can only be done once since its such thin steel. After that-it will be useless.

His advice is to dump it now. And, it has NOTHING to do with maintenance...the actual (aluminum) floor is pristine. Too bad the frame holding it up is a piece of crap. Very disappointed-off to try and trade it in for something else.
                  JB-Infinity Farm
                  www.infinitehorses.com

Comment

I'm not sure where you are in NY, but Congelosi Trailer Sales does true horse-people trailer inspections and have been great to deal with over the years.

Comment

These threads are all Sundowner related threads. Are there any other manufacturers who have the same problems? Myself, I take mine to a specialized trailer guy who used to make them, but now just keeps ours in good shape. It is surprizing how much can go wrong with a trailer in one year - I always have odd things needing to be fixed. But I do think I and my horses are travelling safe.
                      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

If I asked and found the vehicle inspections only cover the brakes, lights, I would take my trailer to a good welding shop. I would have them go over the metal underneath the walls and floor. Checking to make sure the frame beams and supports holding up the floor were still solid, bolts were not rusted thru. Moisture often comes up from the ground while trailer is parked on dirt. Creeps into the joints and metal of a trailer.

I have found the welders to be very good at spotting damage or spots that are starting to go bad. Metal is their specialty!

Some friends had extra supports put in to hold up the floor at the Shop suggestion. Crosspiece supports were over 3ft apart, they had LARGE horses, so more supports were a good idea for them. He replaced the rusty old supports as well. They found the cost to be reasonable, thought welding shop was helpful in inspecting the metal to prevent problems.

You still need to be checking wood floors, walls, which often hold moisture and make certain places, like corners, wall/floor areas, deteriorate faster. You take a screwdriver and hammer, take a couple whacks to put screwdriver into the wood floor. Rotten wood does give a really dead sound, screwdriver drives in easily. Compare by trying to drive in screwdriver on a sound piece of floor board. You can easily hear a difference in noise, to tell sound and rotten wood apart. Usually has metal going bad or rusted out, where wood is going bad too. Just a moisture collection point.

Try the good, local Welding shop for a metal inspection on your trailer, they are usually very helpful and knowledgable.

Comment

Working...
                        X