Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

RARGHHHGRGRRG! She's too thin now?! I just can't win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RARGHHHGRGRRG! She's too thin now?! I just can't win!

So, I'm sure some folks remember my thread awhile ago on my mare getting fat on a nearly forage-only diet. I made some changes to her diet, upped her exercise, and the pounds just melted away.

Now, the other day, the stablehand (who I do really value his opinion on MOST things), said that she was beginning to look skinny. It's hard for me to tell, because I see her every day. But then I stood back and took a closer look while she was playing in the outdoor. When she runs, walks, or turns, you can see her ribs. When she is standing still, you can't.

I don't have to press on her sides at all to feel them, just running my little plastic curry over her coat I can feel the ribs. Is that a bad sign, or what?

I am usually fighting to keep the weight OFF my mare, so I'm kinda floating into unknown territory now.

So, COTHers, input please! From what I described, does she sound too thin to you?

If so, what would you suggest? The stablehand wanted to up her grain, but I said no. She has a sensitive stomach, so I don't want to add weight through grain. I'd rather do it through cubes, maybe complete feed, oil, something like that.

Here is her current diet:

AM: 10 lbs alf/grass mix hay
    1 cup oats and multivit

PM: 10 lbs alf/grass mix hay
    1 cup oats

Snack: 4 lbs alfalfa cubes, raspberry leaf, and Tractgard. I've just recently upped the cubes to 4 pounds, after discussing her weight with the stablehand. I figure a little extra of cubes at least won't hurt anything.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My pony is about that weight right now, and I don't think she's too thin. I wouldn't want her to lose any more weight, but her weight no doubt has nowhere to go but up.

When you're used to seeing a round horse, it can be disconcerting to see angles.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
      My pony is about that weight right now, and I don't think she's too thin. I wouldn't want her to lose any more weight, but her weight no doubt has nowhere to go but up.

When you're used to seeing a round horse, it can be disconcerting to see angles.
      That's very true.

Comment

Food is not equal to love. For broodmares, being slightly under conditioned increases the likelihood of conception. Thus I would put forward the idea that you should not add to her diet, but try and increase her muscle. If she drops weight with increased work, up her calories slightly till she stabilizes. You want fitness, not fat.

How I wish I could apply this to my own body!
        Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Penthilisea View Post
          Food is not equal to love. For broodmares, being slightly under conditioned increases the likelihood of conception. Thus I would put forward the idea that you should not add to her diet, but try and increase her muscle. If she drops weight with increased work, up her calories slightly till she stabilizes. You want fitness, not fat.

How I wish I could apply this to my own body!
          Interesting, so you think I should just work her more, or?

Comment

I would work on specific muscle building exercises, NOT stamina. Trot work, caveletti, hills, etc. She could also lunge in loose vienna reins to build up her topline. Trotting builds muscle, cantering builds endurance.

If your current work outs for her are endurance based, I would actually cut back on that and change it up some.

Without seeing the horse in person it's a cr*pshoot, but that's my best advice.
            Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Penthilisea View Post
              I would work on specific muscle building exercises, NOT stamina. Trot work, caveletti, hills, etc. She could also lunge in loose vienna reins to build up her topline. Trotting builds muscle, cantering builds endurance.

If your current work outs for her are endurance based, I would actually cut back on that and change it up some.

Without seeing the horse in person it's a cr*pshoot, but that's my best advice.
              Lunging, cavalettis, and any sort of training aid is out, we're rehabbing at the moment and all of those things are forbidden as per vet.

We also don't have hills here in central IL...

Comment

For someone who obsesses over her horse so much, why would you get into a tailspin because a barnworker makes a casual comment? There's nothing wrong with a horse being lean and even a little ribby, NOTHING. If you like how she looks, how she feels, and are satisfied with what she's eating, stand your ground. She's YOUR horse, YOU know her best, and everyone else's observations (including mine!) aren't nearly as valuable as your own best judgment.

No doubt if you go changing things now based on one casual observation, in 3 months you'll be lamenting that she's fat again. Let it be.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  For someone who obsesses over her horse so much, why would you get into a tailspin because a barnworker makes a casual comment? There's nothing wrong with a horse being lean and even a little ribby, NOTHING. If you like how she looks, how she feels, and are satisfied with what she's eating, stand your ground. She's YOUR horse, YOU know her best, and everyone else's observations (including mine!) aren't nearly as valuable as your own best judgment.

No doubt if you go changing things now based on one casual observation, in 3 months you'll be lamenting that she's fat again. Let it be.
                  It wasn't a casual comment, we had a full discussion about it. I do stand my ground on things, as noted by the previous thread about her being fat on forage. Did I do exactly what some folks said? Nope.

I even noted here that I did not do what the stablehand wanted, which was to up her grain. I DID stand my ground, thank you very much.

And you know what? I can obsess over my horse all I want. Don't like it? Too bad. I'm getting a little irritated that you poke at me every thread about that. It's not funny or cute anymore, if it was even meant to be in the first place.

Comment

Oooooh-kay. You're reading a whole lot into what I said, but if it's offensive to you I do apologize. Will refrain from commenting in the future, sorry! Might check into some skin-thickening somewhere along the line though, jeez.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                      Oooooh-kay. You're reading a whole lot into what I said, but if it's offensive to you I do apologize. Will refrain from commenting in the future, sorry!
                      If you want to add input on the subject matter, I'm all for it. You're a good resource and really knowledgeable, to be sure. But making comments on how I fuss too much over my horse, I obsess, etc, etc, is not appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                        I don't have to press on her sides at all to feel them, just running my little plastic curry over her coat I can feel the ribs. Is that a bad sign, or what?
                        I'd say maybe she's a wee bit too thin. Not "wow, she needs some weight" thin, so much depends on what she *really* looks like (can you get a good picture?). But easily feeling ribs like that, unless you're talking about a really hard working 3DE horse or something, sounds a wee thin. And, I'm one who strives to keep them on the lean side, so it's not like I like to see 'em Hunter Fat

Here is her current diet:

AM: 10 lbs alf/grass mix hay
                        1 cup oats and multivit

PM: 10 lbs alf/grass mix hay
                        1 cup oats

Snack: 4 lbs alfalfa cubes, raspberry leaf, and Tractgard. I've just recently upped the cubes to 4 pounds, after discussing her weight with the stablehand. I figure a little extra of cubes at least won't hurt anything.
                        If you've recently upped the cubes to 4lb, I'd give that a couple of weeks - you might be surprised.

If she'll eat more hay in the am and/or pm, see if another couple of pounds each feeding helps - likely will.

If she still needs a bit more, try 1/2lb oats each feeding, 1lb total a day. That's not a lot of sugar in the grand scheme of things. 1c whole oats is roughly 1/3lb, so it's not like you're adding TONS of oats to her current diet.

That's where I'd go.

OR, instead of any of the above (beyond waiting to see what the 4lb cubes does in a couple/three weeks), add either straight lysine, or Tri-Amino. It may be a matter of not enough lysine and methionine. Odds are not hugely in favor of that, due to the hay and a-cubes she gets, but it's still possible. Lack of sufficient quality protein can cause a "weight" issue.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          I'd say maybe she's a wee bit too thin. Not "wow, she needs some weight" thin, so much depends on what she *really* looks like (can you get a good picture?). But easily feeling ribs like that, unless you're talking about a really hard working 3DE horse or something, sounds a wee thin. And, I'm one who strives to keep them on the lean side, so it's not like I like to see 'em Hunter Fat
                          I will try and get a picture, I've been basically dodging rainstorms the last few days at the barn, so no real down time to get decent pics.

If you've recently upped the cubes to 4lb, I'd give that a couple of weeks - you might be surprised.

If she'll eat more hay in the am and/or pm, see if another couple of pounds each feeding helps - likely will.

If she still needs a bit more, try 1/2lb oats each feeding, 1lb total a day. That's not a lot of sugar in the grand scheme of things. 1c whole oats is roughly 1/3lb, so it's not like you're adding TONS of oats to her current diet.

That's where I'd go.

OR, instead of any of the above (beyond waiting to see what the 4lb cubes does in a couple/three weeks), add either straight lysine, or Tri-Amino. It may be a matter of not enough lysine and methionine. Odds are not hugely in favor of that, due to the hay and a-cubes she gets, but it's still possible. Lack of sufficient quality protein can cause a "weight" issue.
                          How long do you think it'd take for the additional cubes to 'show up' in her physique? I don't want to load her up too fast, as I know adding weight too quickly isn't a good thing to do. But I'm not really sure how long to expect, normally.

Do you really think Lysine or an AA deficiency could be an issue, considering the alfalfa in her diet?

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                            I will try and get a picture, I've been basically dodging rainstorms the last few days at the barn, so no real down time to get decent pics.
                            Tell me about it - my new saddle finally arrived *last* Friday, and it's been raining every since

How long do you think it'd take for the additional cubes to 'show up' in her physique? I don't want to load her up too fast, as I know adding weight too quickly isn't a good thing to do. But I'm not really sure how long to expect, normally.
                            I'd say within 2-3 weeks you should be seeing a difference. I'd try to consciously not feel ribs more than once a week, as you can be fooled into thinking there aren't changes.

Do you really think Lysine or an AA deficiency could be an issue, considering the alfalfa in her diet?
                            Well, it does indeed depend. Not all alf has enough, not all grass has enough for sure, 20lb of hay isn't a WHOLE lot, and if it's more grass than alf that keeps things a bit lower.

But, straight lysine is super cheap, so it's an easy thing to try I'd still give the alf cubes a couple of weeks - change things one at a time

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              Tell me about it - my new saddle finally arrived *last* Friday, and it's been raining every since

I'd say within 2-3 weeks you should be seeing a difference. I'd try to consciously not feel ribs more than once a week, as you can be fooled into thinking there aren't changes.

Well, it does indeed depend. Not all alf has enough, not all grass has enough for sure, 20lb of hay isn't a WHOLE lot, and if it's more grass than alf that keeps things a bit lower.

But, straight lysine is super cheap, so it's an easy thing to try I'd still give the alf cubes a couple of weeks - change things one at a time
                              I'll definitely keep the alf cubes at 4lbs then, thanks for the advice!

Comment

I have nothing constructive to add except that I feel your pain! My mare went from hay belly fat to a wee bit thinner than I like to looking like a bloated tick in the span of a few weeks. All of March I felt like one day I'd be upping her feed, then the next I'd be debating getting the muzzle out. I swear it's this time of year with the changing seasons, shedding, incoming grass, etc.
                                Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                                  I have nothing constructive to add except that I feel your pain! My mare went from hay belly fat to a wee bit thinner than I like to looking like a bloated tick in the span of a few weeks. All of March I felt like one day I'd be upping her feed, then the next I'd be debating getting the muzzle out. I swear it's this time of year with the changing seasons, shedding, incoming grass, etc.
                                  Could be! I'm glad somebody sympathizes.

Comment

if all of us worried as much over 50 lbs here and there on every horse represented on this board, we'd never talk about anything else.

Normal spring variations. Feeling ribs are good. I loathe fat horses. I'm the fat one around here, somebody has to look good naked, and it ain't me

ease up, Sub.

Comment

Original Poster

Would anyone else like to contribute?

Comment

Is she sort of a bigger type of horse (stocky). My QH goes from fat to a little too lean very easily and for him its all about quality forage and really have figured out not so much the grain he eats. He looks the best on good grass and timothy hay.
                                        http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

Working...
                                        X