• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spider bite?? What else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider bite?? What else?

Just curious if anyone here had a horse bit by a poisonous spider or other insect that made the horse have the same reaction that venom can do to humans (I've seen this on tv happen to a humans arm or leg...but never an animal??)? This particular horse had his whole leg swell up including the lower hip about 10x the size of normal (was a section on the leg that was a 'bigger' lump than the rest (so swollen 15x the norm...figured this is where the bite was) & then the whole legs "meat" (skin..tissue...muscle...etc..) fell off chunk after chunk till he was down to the bone. Vet clinics around here & local vets stumped. Horse went a course of 2 antibiotics together for 2 weeks & is now just healing. Bled & pussed for about 12 days. We're going on 3 weeks now.... He never had any cut whatsoever on the leg to let infection in.....

I just took this horse in as the owner was going to put him down -- but I seen him from the first day it started swelling & went over the leg with a mag. glass to try & find a little cut, if any.... He's now walking on the leg & it IS healing...just not sure which action to take now as I got a different suggestion from all 5 vets I talked to!! Hoping to find a similar case out there.
    Last edited by tbracer65; Mar. 26, 2009, 07:15 PM. Reason: more info

Yes...you can probably find my thread in the Breeding Section.

We have a Sir Donnerhall colt at that farm that was bitten last summer.......there is a thread on it in that section.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
      Yes...you can probably find my thread in the Breeding Section.

We have a Sir Donnerhall colt at that farm that was bitten last summer.......there is a thread on it in that section.
      Thanks --- will go find it.

Comment

Here it is....it was buried pretty deep

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=194022

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks dalpal....it does sound similar since once it burst open chunk after chunk just kept falling off & there was that one bump that was the largest. I've never seen anything like it & I thought I had seen some nasty wounds before!!!. Wonder if I could use this on the horse.....

http://brown-recluse-spider.ascended...-treatment.htm

Comment

If you are in an area that has venomous snakes, and it was even moderately warm, it sounds like it could be a pit viper bite...excessive swelling, persistent bleeding, and then sloughing of tissue is pretty classic. Fang marks can be hard (nearly impossible) to find.

Brown recluse are also bad, although they are over-blamed. There are MANY wounds that are caused by a LOT of other stuff (or even other spiders--they are ALL venomous) that are attributed to brown recluse.

Glad t hear that pony has turned the corner and is doing better. Sounds like it's wound care now, whatever caused the original problem. Just keep at it...it'll take time but it'll heal!

Comment

• Original Poster

2Jakes...that's what the vets kept saying. They don't know what it could be from, but it looks like it was venom of some sort. After researching on the internet -- there are some human legs that look a lot like my horses --- amazing how the tissue just falls off!! I'll have to research to see what other 'venomous' things are out there. I'm just worried now that maybe I should put him back on antibiotics. Another chunk of skin about 5 inches long fell off last night during cleaning & there was a HUGE chunk of puss under there. No more real bleeding, unless you make it (which the vets say to do...). I'm planning on taking pics here today or tomorrow so I have a before & after...will post them up then.

Comment

Re...the colt at our barn.

The skin sloughed off of his ENTIRE leg...he was in a heavy leg bandage for at least 2 months. He lived at the clinic most of the time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Dalpal,

Do you know what they used for the bandaging?....just regular gauze padding? Right now we're using x-large baby diapers with standing bandages (quilt) overtop. One on the lower leg & one on the hock with 3 diapers. The hock is mainly what's blown out....but with the entire leg being so HUGE, the baby diapers barely reach around. Also, we're having trouble keeping the medicine 'on' his leg as it's so hot it literally just melts off. It does look better wrapped, but makes me wonder if I should leave it open? I have it wrapped usually all the time, but have it open now while he's out in a small grassy paddock. We figured he can't really get down & roll to make it dirty & there's no bugs this time of year..... He's finally able to walk on the leg pretty good -- but it's still draining big-time. Diapers are soaked to the max at every bandage change. I'm taking pics of the leg in an hour -- but kind of worried to post links on here as it is pretty nasty looking.

Comment

You don't have to worry about that, the more pus the more people want to see the photos here, especially if it is pus like cottage cheese.

Seriously though, don't hesitate to post them, the best thing about COTH is the education one can get from the huge variety of people and horses here. Just put a warning for people to not open the photos if they are eating.
                    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                    Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm going onto photobucket now to post them....how do I change the title of the thread to let them know pics are up?

Comment

• Original Poster

PICS.....BE WARNED!!

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...afilter=images

Comment

Wow. Unfortunately I have no thoughts on what caused it. What I would suggest is talking to the vet about using amnion to aid healing when you turn the corner past the puss stage. I've seen it do wonders for some ugly wounds, including an entire hind leg from the gaskin down that was skinned and mutilated in a fence.

Comment

Okaaay...that is one nasty looking wound! It takes a lot to give me the heebie-jeebies and that qualifies. Poor baby! That's got to be uncomfortable.

Has that been cultured and eval'ed for sensitivities to antibiotics? Just curious. MRSA comes to mind seeing those pics. It still could be necrosis from an envenomation. What part of the country do you live in?

Whatever caused it, it looks like there might be a granulation bed coming in, so you are making forward progress. Keep bandaging (or not--whatever the vet recommends)...thanks for the pics and hang in there.
                            Lisa

Comment

Oh God, that is probably one of the nastiest things I have seen in a while. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom but alas, I do not. I have jingles to offer and PLENTY of them are coming your way! Keep us posted! I would love a happy ending to this story. Poor guy.
                              ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
                              *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
                              *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
                              My Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

This guy is located up in the northeast..... we do have the brown nec. spiders, although I've never seen one & hope I never do.........which led me to think the spider + the one vet stated it looked to be caused by 'venom' the way the meat just fell off in chunks. I'm taking the pics to another "state" vet tomorrow (Monday) to see what he thinks as I was told by a friend last night that this particular vet has dealt with this issue before whereas the others obviously haven't. I really think the horse should still be on antibiotics, but I'm no vet (although I myeswell be as I haven't had a single vet with the same diagnosis yet...). Today it actually looked MUCH better -- leg is completely smooth now besides the hole & it didn't soak the bandage overnight like usual --- just filled the diapers up.

Also -- not sure if this matters any -- although it might on the 'infection' or 'venom' issue. The horse is drinking a LOT of water & hence peeing a lot. He's eating his hay good & goes through spurts with his feed, which is expected. Doesn't seem to be in much pain anymore (been on pain medication -- but not much)... I'm just curious about the water intake --- & will ask tomorrow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tbracer65 View Post
                                  Dalpal,

Do you know what they used for the bandaging?....just regular gauze padding? Right now we're using x-large baby diapers with standing bandages (quilt) overtop. One on the lower leg & one on the hock with 3 diapers. The hock is mainly what's blown out....but with the entire leg being so HUGE, the baby diapers barely reach around. Also, we're having trouble keeping the medicine 'on' his leg as it's so hot it literally just melts off. It does look better wrapped, but makes me wonder if I should leave it open? I have it wrapped usually all the time, but have it open now while he's out in a small grassy paddock. We figured he can't really get down & roll to make it dirty & there's no bugs this time of year..... He's finally able to walk on the leg pretty good -- but it's still draining big-time. Diapers are soaked to the max at every bandage change. I'm taking pics of the leg in an hour -- but kind of worried to post links on here as it is pretty nasty looking.
                                  I'll ask.....I thought it was regular bandaging with lots of vet wrap...but I'll ask tomorrow.

Comment

Yep..that looks familiar.

Comment

Jeez, that's so bad it looks like a horror film fake where you say "that is so unrealistic". I would absolutely continue trying to identify this, for your sake.
                                      If it was caused by any type of bite you want to know so you can have your barn checked and cleared for what ever bit him. If it is a antibiotic resistant staph infection you would also want to know. Don't know if its inter-species transmitted, but man I wouldn't want to wait and find out.
                                      Good for you for taking him and for being persistent trying to find the cause. Keep on going!

Comment

holy cow!

that's nasty.
                                        we had a mare at our old barn that we were told was bit by a brown recluse (NJ). not sure how they could've been sure. but her reaction was different. she developed giant blisters over her entire body which eventually sloughed off leaving giant patches of exposed raw skin. she ran a very high fever for a while. once the fever broke she seemed to get continuously better. she eventually re-grew the hair and you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong.
                                        http://www.eponashoe.com/
                                        TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

Working...
                                        X