Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Of course she's allergic to pine and all straw. Hemp? Flax? Discuss :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course she's allergic to pine and all straw. Hemp? Flax? Discuss :)

Paper and cardboard are out. She is far too much of a pig and I deep bed so it's just just disaster. BTDT

Peat moss is not up for discussion either because I know how much goes up my tiny human snout when I use it in the garden. No way would I allow my horse inhale that crap every day.

That pretty much leaves the choice of flax or hemp. Which have you used? Which is better for a horse that buries her shit like it's golden treasure so that top3-4" of bedding need to be fully sifted 1-2x/day? What did you like/dislike about the bedding you tried?

Hmm, I suppose it also leaves sand, but we don't have great sand handling equipment/facilities even though the barn is fully drained so suitable for sand. And, well, I'm getting wise (old) enough to know that I don't want t handle it manually.
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

I've heard of people wetting down peat moss for a deep bed, and say it really works well and keeps the dust down. I have not tried it myself.

Can you find a local sawmill with hardwood sawdust? Of course you'll have to make sure there's no black walnut in it. Is she allergic to ALL types of straw? Most common is wheat, but there's oat, barley, and probably some others. I think I've also seen some sort of ground corn cob bedding. When I was a kid, a farm used a peanut hull bedding. It worked well and wasn't dusty, from what I can remember.

Comment

A farm near me uses rice hulls. I thought they were kind of nice. Not sure where you would get them but it might be worth investigating.

Comment

• Original Poster

All the other straws, including bean/peanut, are out out. It's the tastiness of the cereals and beans that attract the storage mite which are the actual allergens for her

Not sure about the tastines of rice, but also not sure if I'd be able to find it here.
        Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hardwoods - also out, she's allergic to a couple of our predominant local trees. Of COURSE she is, damn it.

Comment

Corn cob bedding?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...-horse-bedding

Comment

what about 24/7 turnout- that usually is a big plus for horses with allergy issues
              Last edited by tabula rashah; Apr. 25, 2016, 08:55 AM.
              "Traditions are basically just peer pressure from dead people"

Comment

Flax bedding is nice, if you deep bed and clean often. (Mine are in rarely and have mats, I tend to bed lightly). It turns into weird fluffy balls and is slippery in my situation, but it is quite when nice deep bedded and mucked daily... it looks nice, has no smell, not dusty and is absorbent.

Not much more expensive than shavings, when bought by the pallet (compared to bagged shavings).

Comment

Suck it up and bed in her hay? Or does her allergy force you to find an alternative for hay, too? I saw that done in Southern Pines-the farm made their own Coastal Bermuda, and had so much of it that it was cheaper to use it than find other bedding.

I hope she's not allergic to flies as well-that would be tough.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think I'll explore other avenues befor bedding her in hay. Besides, yeah, gotta be careful not to be her in orchard grass. Bah! Flies, no, mosquitoes apparently yes, but I had no inkling , because I keep her well marinated in fly spray during the summer. Dermatologist said to just carry on with that.

24/7 t/o is not an option. A. Because the dermatologist thinks it best to limit her exposure to environmental crap during harvest and pollen seasons. B. Because she is a show horse and needs her stall time to nap. Seriously, she gets quite peeved when her nap time is ruined. She even takes a few weeks to adjust from half day winter turnout to all day summer turnout despite LOVING being outside. She's a precious princess. Gah.

Corn is out for the same reason as cereal and bean straws. Plus, I'm not a big fan of potential mycotoxin poisoning, thx.

Thanks for the flax review!

Anyone use hemp?

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post
                      All the other straws, including bean/peanut, are out out. It's the tastiness of the cereals and beans that attract the storage mite which are the actual allergens for her

Not sure about the tastines of rice, but also not sure if I'd be able to find it here.
                      Don't mean to ask a dumb question here, but, are you certain the depth of the bedding is not a contributor to the presence of storage mites as opposed to the actual type of bedding?

FWIW, we had the opportunity to test some flax bedding recently. We weren't impressed at all with how well it absorbed moisture.
                      "It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races."

Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        FWIW, we had the opportunity to test some flax bedding recently. We weren't impressed at all with how well it absorbed moisture.
                        I tried rice hull bedding a few years ago - ZERO moisture absorption - it is kind of slippery too.

Comment

Do you actually have these alternative beddings available to you? Flax and rice hulls and other "weird" stuff is often super regional.

Cow people use bedding lime which might be worth investigating?

Comment

Sand doesn't really require any daily removal/ replacement, you just pick the poop out and leave the pee spots to drain. The pee can take a long time to drain so a lot of people will put something else on the pee spot.

Roughly a billion horses (ok maybe slight exaggeration) live on sand in CA. There are some drawbacks: hock rubs are fairly common with coarser sand, sand is sometimes blamed for colic, although most horses don't colic, and its not actually absorbent. Most horses in CA are on at least 12x24 sand stalls so the pee thing is not as big a deal as it would be in 12x12.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                              Don't mean to ask a dumb question here, but, are you certain the depth of the bedding is not a contributor to the presence of storage mites as opposed to the actual type of bedding?

Yes. She has been tested and is allergic to pine and storage mites, a bunch of hardwoods, certain weeds, orchard grass (praise the baby jesus she's not allergic to alfalfa!), and mosquitoes.

Storage mites are not fond of pine. They are fond of cereals. I'm also supposed to make sure the feed room is well swept of any dropped grain, etc.

Did you deep bed or just use a little bit of flax?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                Do you actually have these alternative beddings available to you? Flax and rice hulls and other "weird" stuff is often super regional.

Cow people use bedding lime which might be worth investigating?
                                Rice hulls, not so much. Yes, to both flax and hemp.

I wouldn't bed a cow on just plain bedding lime. Folks that sell that sort of product don't bother to read and follow bedding research and hope their clientele also choose to remain just as ignorant

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by snowrider View Post
                                  Sand doesn't really require any daily removal/ replacement, you just pick the poop out and leave the pee spots to drain. The pee can take a long time to drain so a lot of people will put something else on the pee spot.

Roughly a billion horses (ok maybe slight exaggeration) live on sand in CA. There are some drawbacks: hock rubs are fairly common with coarser sand, sand is sometimes blamed for colic, although most horses don't colic, and its not actually absorbent. Most horses in CA are on at least 12x24 sand stalls so the pee thing is not as big a deal as it would be in 12x12.
                                  Sadly, we're 12x12 or a bit smaller. And she's a stall pee-er. Why pee in the field when you can wait to come in and pee a whole day's worth in a nice clean stall? lol If she didn't shift her bedding so much, I'd be tempted to take her mats out to improve drainage, lay a few inches of sand over her bricks, and then a couple of inches of soft bedding on top. However, Miss Arthur Murray appears to often give dance classes in her stall over night so we all know how that would turn out. lol

Comment

I tried the flax bedding also and liked it for my situation. I would still be using it but it is inconvenient to pick up from the distributor here. The horse I tried it on is not a stall walker though and my horses are out the majority of the day. It was a bit slick but my horse had no issues with this.

Comment

Never heard of anyone getting mycotoxin poisoning from using corn cob bedding, I really liked it.

Shredded newspaper a possibility?
                                      It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

I know this isn't your question, but I had VAST improvement with a mare who was allergic to "everything" with allergy shots. So much so that she is virtually free of symptoms these days, even though she is exposed to quite a few of her allergens daily.

If you want more information I'm happy to share. I know how much a pain allergies can be. Ignore if you are not interested or already know about the option.

Comment

Working...
                                        X