Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Should I add protein for horse that needs muscle?- update post 104

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I add protein for horse that needs muscle?- update post 104

My pony (actually not a pony, but that's his COTH moniker) came to me rather thin but is actually an easy keeper. He put on weight quite quickly, but is still not really "filled out" as much as I'd like to see, although he has a hay belly.

Obviously steady work, but since he puts on weight so easily I have him on hay only (Timothy and Orchard) with a supplement (Sho Glo, plus Vita Calm right now). He can tend to be a bit anxious- should I add protein to his diet to help him gain muscle? What are some good sources of protein? I do not have a ration balancer readily available, but I can drive to get it or order it in if needed.

(yes, he's been wormed several times)
    Last edited by Ambrey; May. 11, 2009, 09:14 AM.

Yep. I would- maybe one of the amino acid sups first. Or maybe have some alfalfa into his diet- I think that's fairly high in protein.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Tri Amino by Uckele is the way to go!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LMH View Post
        Tri Amino by Uckele is the way to go!
        Alfalfa is high in protein but is also very calorie dense, I was hoping for some way to add the protein without shortening his munching time! We have no turnout so hay is the closest they get to grazing.

I'm going to check this stuff out, thanks!

Comment

There will be others that will sing the song of praises of Tri Amino!

Comment

• Original Poster

Apparently Uckele is the only source, though. It sounds like exactly what I need, though! Thanks again!

Have you all that use it noticed a difference?

Comment

HUGE difference!

Comment

• Original Poster

Good answer, I already ordered 2 buckets of the stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
                  Apparently Uckele is the only source, though. It sounds like exactly what I need, though! Thanks again!

Have you all that use it noticed a difference?
                  I've used Pure Lysine with great success too... the only difference between the two is that Tri Amino has two other added amino acids. Pure Lysine is pretty cheap too (like under $ 0.20/day). Worked wonders for me. Just started Gus on the Uckele product, so not sure if I'll notice a greater difference or not.
                  Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
                  See G2's blog
                  Photos

Comment

Yep, there are other sources of just lysine, literally a few pennies a day. But grass hays tend to be a bit low in methionine too, and that is what Tri-Amino is good for. 1 scoop is 10gm lysine, 5gm methionine, and 2gm threonine - the top 3 limiting amino acids.

Comment

VitaFlex puts out Pure Lysine and it works amazingly. I do three scoops a day, app. 12g per serving. It is one of the most important building blocks needed for putting on muscle and for help with sore muscles. Lots of articles on it lately including the Horse Journal. Inexpensive too.

Comment

good for an older dressage horse? he is 15 and thriving, but I assume it would not hurt to help him boost/maintain his muscle?

Comment

Try Crazy Horse Tack for Tri Amino-shipping was $8.95. When Uckele 1/2 off shipping sale ends, this may be a good option.

Comment

Im curious to who else has used the Lysine, and there thoughts on it...? I am looking into it... It is definitly cost effective.

Comment

I use lysine on all of mine, as they get mainly grass hay. The youngsters are on a ration balancer with some lysine added, and the two riding-age mares get a 14% protein feed with lysine, and when they are actually being ridden they get a bit more alfalfa. I take away some of the alfalfa when they are not being ridden because they will both get chunky.

I noticed a big difference in my mare especially when I added the lysine. With my 2.5-yo, I noticed more of a difference when I add some extra ration balancer when he starts to look under muscled. So it really depends on the horse if the lysine is the issue, or if more protein is needed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Dang, I did a google search and didn't come up with anyone for the tri-amino!

Comment

Have you considered a riding program that will build his muscle and remove his hay belly?

Over feeding protein only esults in smeely urine. Find a suitable exercise program.
                                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

But if you look at her diet it IS likely lysine and possibly methionine deficient.

IF you work without sufficient protein there is no fuel to build muscle

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                                      Have you considered a riding program that will build his muscle and remove his hay belly?

Over feeding protein only esults in smeely urine. Find a suitable exercise program.
                                      Yes, certainly, you need a good work program to build work muscles.

But it should be accepted that a pasture puff has to go around looking like he's in less than no work due to a noticable lack of muscle

It's not just about total protein. Certainly, excess proteins are peed out. But what can too easily happen is the horse eats excess crude protein, which is not cost effective at all, nor is it necessarily going to help the muscles. Crude Protein is a function of nitrogen as well as amino acids.

Grass and grass hays are notoriously deficient in lysine, and to some degree, methionine. A horse can be free choicing 9% grass hay and get WAY more total protein than he needs, but be deficient in lysine, and have the lack of muscling (appropriate to his work) to show for it.

And even if the horse is getting just the right amount of lysine for his pasture puff-ness, he'll have a very hard time building muscle appropriate for his work if you don't add at least a few grams more.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDressage View Post
                                        Im curious to who else has used the Lysine, and there thoughts on it...? I am looking into it... It is definitly cost effective.
                                        I started with Pure Lysine and saw a noticable difference in my OTTB mare's topline, without any work. Once I switched to Tri-Amino I saw even more of a difference, this time all over her body. She actually lost her A-frame look to her butt and rounded out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X