• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Yearly Shots..give them yourself or by the vet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yearly Shots..give them yourself or by the vet?

Okay with the economy and everything money is really tight and we have several horses. We are coming to that time of year when we give all our guys their yearly shots and coggins. A couple of barns in the area seems to actually give the shots themselves and just call the vet for the coggins...

Does anyone else do this? I have given many shots before to horses so know the areas in which to give them, and buying them and administering them myself would save us so much money. Also is this allowed? I know I can't give me dog her own vaccines becasue I need vet proof for her tags...but what about horses?
    Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

From the vet. Every time. Though we do divide the shots and the vet will often leave us with set 2 to give ourselves saving a barn visit. I consider this their annual check up. The vet knows us, knows the horses, we can discuss any concerns, check on any oddities etc. Fortunately (looks for wood and starts knocking now) we don't typically need to see them other than for shots and the occasional health certificate.

Comment

I have them come out and do one or two shots, then I usually convince them to leave the rest with me and I gradually give them to him-- mosquito related shots first, then tetnus, etc. I just need to spread them out for him instead of doing it all at once.
      That way, they see him, and I save myself a second farm call.

Comment

maybe it'd be good to find that chart of where to do shots somewhere on the web.. every year I have to rremind myself if I haven't done shots in a while..

Comment

• Original Poster

Our vet came out about 3 mths ago for a floating and took a good look at everyone and they were all healthy and we have no issues with anyone at the moment...we are planning to vaccinate everyone early March/late Feb. That is why I was thinking doing them myself.
          Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
          Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
          Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
          Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Comment

A majority of them are given at my horses' spring check-up and Coggins draw, with a few left for me to give a week or two later. In the fall I have their teeth checked and floated, so that's the opportunity for the fall shots. I keep tetanus toxoid/antitoxin on hand just in case for in between owies.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I give all my own shots and have for years. I order from allivet.com, valleyvet.com and heartland.com...depending on what I need and who has better shipping at the time.

I save tons of money doing it myself, there's no way I'll go back to paying close to $250/horse every vaccine cycle plus this way I can space them out and give them time to adjust. The only one I consistently have trouble tracking down is the strangles IN (Pinnacle) b/c it only seems to be sold in lots of 10 doses. I also do all my dogs vaccines except the three year rabies for their tags.

Comment

Vet gives them, for three simple reasons:

1. I only have one horse. I might, and probably would, feel differently if I had multiple horses and was absorbing the markup many times over.

2. My vet is the best lameness vet in the area short of going to the big vet school 1.5 hours down the road. I would like to have his undivided and expedient attention if I ever have a non-routine problem. Giving him my shots business helps keep me on his Nice List, which might explain why when I called his clinic today at 9:15 a.m. asking for an appointment for a swollen leg and specifically said that I just needed to see him "sometime in the next few days", he walked into my barn one hour later, happily squeezing me in between two other appointments. Keep in mind that I haven't seen him since April '08 when he last did my shots, and in three years this is the first time I've called him for anything other than the horse's PPE two years ago, shots, or Coggins. To me, that is worth every penny that I paid in Obnoxious Vaccine Markup Costs.

3. I do not feel psychologically or physically equipped to administer the epinephrine in the case of an unexpected reaction. I hear that some folks compromise by giving their own shots while the vet is out pulling Coggins, but I figure if my vet has to give the West Nile vaccine for insurance purposes and rabies for record purposes that I might as well just let him shoot all the others too.
                Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 19, 2009, 09:11 PM.
                Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

I have the vet do this twice yearly. The horses gets a good physical and dental check with each appointment. It helps to keep us on track to keeping them healthy, and catch some problems early.
                  "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Also... if there is a rabies issue... your having given a rabies shot "doesn't count". Has to be done by a vet and you have to have a certificate from a vet - at least in NJ

We actually try to do the mosquito shots later rather than earlier, but then in our area Mosquitoes are more of an issue later in the summer / fall than spring.

Comment

My early horse experience included a vet who didn't want to do a damn thing with horses and would have been offended to be called out for something as stupid as giving shots. He figured anybody that couldn't do most of their own simple vet work for their own horses shouldn't have horses.

But that's a cow vet. He's used to cow people doing a lot of their own stuff and he didn't figure horse people had any right to consider themselves "special".

I don't think having a vet out once a year for shots does anything in the "they know the horse" department. My neighbor's vet is out twice a year for shots and usually once or twice a year for miscellaneous stuff. This has been going on for three or four years. Vet has EVERY SINGLE TIME had to ask the horse's names and does, to this day, not remember which are mares and which are geldings. Even though he's had one of the mares at his clinic TWICE for a month at a time. Still calls her "he" and "this guy", even though one of the trips was for a uterine infection.

Comment

The "show" horse gets visited 3-times a year for vaccines (fall and twice in spring/early summer), he also gets a lyme titre done then.

The broodmares get their coggins/rabies with the vet, but I'll do everything else on my own...makes very little sense for me to spend thousands on visits for vaccines, particularly when I spend so much time with the vet during breeding season...they are well aware of my horses health and so administering vaccines myself isn't a big deal.

But with all of my horses, I think it's important to note that I have a good working-relationship with both of my vets (repro and lameness).

Comment

I've always given vacinations myself to about 100 head of horses and cattle a year. Saves a huge amount of money.
                          Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

Originally posted by Drive NJ View Post
                            From the vet. Every time. Though we do divide the shots and the vet will often leave us with set 2 to give ourselves saving a barn visit. I consider this their annual check up. The vet knows us, knows the horses, we can discuss any concerns, check on any oddities etc. Fortunately (looks for wood and starts knocking now) we don't typically need to see them other than for shots and the occasional health certificate.
                            Finding wood to knock also...we do the same. Plus, Rabies, in MD can only be obtained by a Vet.
                            <)__~~
                            <\ <\,,
                            The delicate and exquisite horse is itself a work of art.

Comment

Prefer to give my own...buuuuuut...now I have a vet who is so incredibly reasonable that it would only be saving a few $$ that I would rather pay her, given how responsive, kind, attentive, and awesome she is!

I am happy to have my vet out and have a relationship w/her in a case like this. If the vet charged more than $150 for shots (over $80 more than mine, but the typical I have paid), you bet I would give my own again.

Comment

My vet is very well known, liked, and respected, and is fine with me doing some of my own shots. He even gave me his oppinion on the different brands, etc. I do save enough money doing some myself to make it worth the while. My vet always does my horses' coggins, rabies - must be done by vet in most states, west nile - our area has tested positive, and strangles - seems there is always an outbreak near us and the vet said the intranasal is much more effective than the shot. I do the six-way (or 4 or 5 way), potomic, and botulism myself. Most vets get their meds from the same companies we can get them from. You just need to follow storage and injection directions.

My horse had an issue a while back and came out the next day. Doing my own shots made me more comfortable giving my horse intramuscular meds she needed for her issue. Most of the boarders at my barn do their own shots and use this vet. Everyone likes him and no one has had any issues with him "jipping" us because we do some of our own shots. He knows us and recognizes our horses everytime.

It seems to me that the shots issue differs with each vet. Another vet in the area suggests that people do some of their own shots IF they have the knowledge and are comfortable doing so. Frankly, I would talk to your vet and ask him how he feels about this topic and see what he suggests. I did, and I am glad that I can be open with my vet.

Comment

My friends and I have done our own for years and years now, but since between us we have over 50 head of horses, it saves a ton of money. And we go in together on orders to get free shipping.

We have known our vet since before he went to vet school and he's been a family friend. He trusts us the relationship was established long ago. We were tickled he decided to stay in our area so he could be our vet. He has a partner, too, and she's really great also.

S/he come out for other things like repro, teeth, coggins/health papers or any emergency or illness that might come up that we know we can't deal w/. My friends also have cattle so he's there for them, too.
                                  A Merrick N Dream Farm
                                  Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

My vet does them.

Comment

I have given my horse's vaccines for years. I still have routine stuff done like coggins, teeth and hock injections. I also purchase and keep on hand some drugs like ace and bute. So I have no problem getting a vet out from the clinic.

Comment

I do the 5 way shots myself. Now that you can buy the west nile shot over the counter I do them as well along with worming and so on.
                                        We still have to have the vet come and do coggins and teeth but you will save money by giving your own shots.
                                        I buy most of my stuff from Jeffers because it is close enough for me to run over and pick it up. I have to ship in my west nile and I want to think it comes from United equine.

Comment

Working...
                                        X