• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My horse is eating his own poop. um, WHY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My horse is eating his own poop. um, WHY?

Okay so this is my first post here, I usually just look, but I just had to talk about this.

I was cleaning stalls last night and my boy pooped and turned around and started eating it. YUCK! he was acting fine and it did not seem to bother him when I checked on him later on. I have had him for 10 years and this is the first time he has done this. Any ideas why he would do this? Let me tell you about him and maybe you can help me figure it out. He is a big, only 16'2 but massive bones, 14 yr old Dutch warmblood. He is an easy keeper. He gets 1 1/2 cups grain twice a day with Equinyl Combo and Cocosoya Oil in the pm. Is turned out for 8 hrs a day on a round bale. he wears a muzzle b/c he will gorge himself on hay. He also wears it in the spring on the new grass but it comes off in July. he gets 2 flakes timothy hay at 10pm in his stall. He has a mineral, not salt, lick in his stall that he eats like candy. he is currently not in work, dressage, b/c I don't have an indoor and can't afford to board this year, and live in Ohio. He has NEVER been sick, knock on wood, and only injured once due to a bad farrier that I used only once. he is up to date on all shots, worming, teeth and everything else you can think of.

So my first thought was that he was missing some minerals in his diet. I know he is not hungry b/c he does not go more than a few hours without hay and he is getting fat being off for the winter. Could he be board?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thanks

I was just told recently...

That the horse / foal is seeking "probiotics" from the poop. so maybe try feeding him a probiotic suppkement like Fastrac or Probias.

Comment

In addition to the probiotics mentioned above your horse might be slightly mineral deficient.

Comment

Your mineral block is 93 - 97% salt. That means your horse is eating more salt than minerals. THere are several companies that sell loose minerals. Purina 12:12; Moormans, Redmond,

Horses will eat poop for several possible reasons. 1: hunger, 2: they need the bacteria from the poop; 3: nutritional deficiency.

Just because this is the first time you have witnessed it, doesn't mean he's never done it before.

The equinyl combo is a joint supp, right? If he's an easy keeper why does he get Cocosoya? I would drop the Cocosoya and find a well-balanced pelleted grain to feed him instead. And feed him according to what the package says. A low-carb or even something as basic as Purina Strategy. 3 pounds a day (a level feed scoop usually) should give him what he needs in vitamins/minerals. Then add a pro-biotic. There are several available.

Comment

I've seen horses do this. He is looking for more minerals and fiber in his diet. Adding a suplement should help.
          www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

Three out of my four horses began doing this recently and I have not been able to find out why. I called my vet and he said that he highly doubted that they were lacking something in their diet since I feed them all complete feeds and excellent hay. He was leaning more towards stress or just plain boredom. I have a feeling one started doing it and the others decided to copy. Great.......I am so thrilled

No advice just sympathy from being in the same situation!
            RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
            May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
            RIP San Lena Peppy
            May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

They tend to do this when they need more beneficial bacteria in the gut. This can happen anytime but more frequently an issue when they have been stressed, have been taking medicine or were recently dewormed. I think it can be an issue when they start eating more hay in the winter as well.

What does your horse munch on after dinner if he doesn't get hay until 10 p.m.? I would try adding probiotics to his grain and knock out the extra fat if he is such an easy keeper. If you pull back on some of this perhaps he get eat a bit more hay and stay busy if that is his issue.

Also, I definitely suggest the minerals. The mineral blocks are almost all salt so they won't get enough minerals from them. That might be why he is eating his block like candy (he's not getting enough minerals). Try offering free choice loose minerals with minimal salt. I use Moorman's Gro Strong. When they really need the minerals they will go bonkers for that stuff and then once everything evens out they will show more moderate interest and eat it occasionally.

Note: Unfortunately, complete feeds are not really all that complete. They do a pretty good job and are better than just throwing some oats in a bucket but they aren't totally complete. I know even some of the best can be lacking in certain elements. And if your horse is an easy keeper you may not actually feed your horse enough for it to complete. Do you feed as much as the manufacturer recommendations on the bag? Of course all horses are different just like people are. Some horses may need more of one thing than other horses do.
              Altamont Sport Horses
              Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
              Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
              Birmingham, AL

Comment

One of three things, IME.

1) Needs "gut bugs" -- he's seeking beneficial bacteria, like foals do, to keep their GI track working properly. (Horses DO seek what they need, regardless of what we think is good feeding for them)

2) Ulcers -- horses with ulcers often seek "odd" things to eat in the quest to relieve their belly problems.

3) He's simply seeking fibre/roughage. If he's muzzled with hay and he only gets 2 flakes later in the evening and has nothing to pick on to keep in his belly happy, then he's simply seeking what horses need. Access to roughage 24/7. This by itself, can lead to #1 and #2 above.

This can happen with some horses who are fed hay in bulk only a couple of times a day during the winter. Some clean it up (as you say, "gorge")...then go for hours with nothing which can cause belly problems (#1 and #2) -- or the behavior you are seeing. Especially in winter.

If he's such an easy keeper, I'd cut his grain completely other than something low carb to carry his oil (presuming he's getting that not for weight, but for some therapeutic reason like EPSM). If the oil is not for that, and he's an easy keeper he shouldn't be getting any.

Give him access to free choice minerals and let him have hay to be provided 4-5 times a day (if he's a gorger). The fact that he's a "gorger" may tell you that he's really missing the roughage he's seeking in his diet.
                Last edited by sid; Jan. 9, 2009, 07:14 PM.
                www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

My horse used to do this and it was DISGUSTING. Moreover he seemed to very much enjoy his after dinner poo dessert and the final straw was that often when I would ride after work i would get a lovely POO Mouth kiss - YUCK.

Now here's the kicker w/ my horse - first he would only do it in the winter time - like it was "comfort food" 2) I swear this is no lie - often it would be like he really wanted to poo so he could eat said poo - disgusting.. It was like Yeah cookies fresh from the oven - gross 3) I went the mineral supplement - must be missing something from diet routine and still enjoyed the poo. when the weather got warm no more poo eating. I'm sure it had to do w/ something missing from diet.

Comment

Equus article from a year or two ago stated that 80% of coprophagia in adult horses is caused by a protein deficiency. So I would definitely look into upping his protein and also put him on a complete mineral/vitamin supplement in the very near future. I would also do as others have suggested and start him on some probiotics.

Comment

how many are out there to one round bale
                      is he in at at night with hay as you said he get 2flakes in the morning

he might not be eating enough of the round bale during the day as to many to one bale

a horse that big can consume 2 bays of traditional hay easy

horse that are placed in areas with very little or no grazzing and not enough hay will eat there pooh,

always pick up the pooh and worm to worming programme not a daily wormer one as horse can get inmune to wormers but to one that on a seasonal cycle

if none of the above then its a defecincy in minerals

and also wwhy has he a grassing muzzle on himis he prone to laminitus or ir if not ditch it
                      and work him to a proper feeding and exercise plan

i think op horse is hungry as not getting enough food - ie be shoved out the way of the round bale
                      maybe, and not having hay in his stable at night maybe..

Comment

Originally posted by sid View Post

3) He's simply seeking fibre/roughage. If he's muzzled with hay and he only gets 2 flakes later in the evening and has nothing to pick on to keep in his belly happy, then he's simply seeking what horses need. Access to roughage 24/7. This by itself, can lead to #1 and #2 above.

This can happen with some horses who are fed hay in bulk only a couple of times a day during the winter. Some clean it up (as you say, "gorge")...then go for hours with nothing which can cause belly problems (#1 and #2) -- or the behavior you are seeing. Especially in winter.

If he's such an easy keeper, I'd cut his grain completely other than something low carb to carry his oil (presuming he's getting that not for weight, but for some therapeutic reason like EPSM). If the oil is not for that, and he's an easy keeper he shouldn't be getting any.

Give him access to free choice minerals and let him have hay to be provided 4-5 times a day (if he's a gorger). The fact that he's a "gorger" may tell you that he's really missing the roughage he's seeking in his diet.
                        This is pretty much what came to mind. If he's already on supplements, I would simply start giving him more hay, more often.

Comment

If a horse is missing something in their diet, I wouldn't cut the grain IF it's a pelleted, balanced feed. Too many times we cut back on the pelleted grain and then the horse doesn't get the daily minimums it needs due to a lack of other feedstuffs.

Simply adding loose minerals won't supply everything the horse needs.

And as someone else said, he could be gorging on hay in an effort to add what he might be missing. So in this case, more hay may not be the right answer.

For the horse that only did it in the winter - yeah... he was missing something from his winter diet. Vit A, lysine (no grass), and an assortment of other nutrients that are lacking in hay and he had from grazing on summer grass.

Heck - horses that are stalled and never get outside - lack Vitamin D.

Comment

The cost of having the Vet run a complete blood work-up would be worthwhile, if from your piece of mind alone.
                            The inherent vice of Capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
                            Winston Churchill

Comment

No worries, he's probably just mimicking your dog

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I will try a loose mineral supplement and get rid of the “mineral” block and see if that helps as well as a pro bio. this was my gut feeling when I noticed what he was doing. Any suggestions on what supplement brands to use?

Yes the equinyl is a joint supplement. Yes the oil is not for weight gain but other reasons. Yes I feed a balanced pelleted grain.

For those who think he is not getting enough to eat because of the muzzle I don’t agree with that. He is on the round bale with one other horse, who also has a muzzle due to feet issues, and they go through the bale in less than two weeks. I spent time watching him eat this weekend and you should see how much hay he can get in that 2 inch opening. My vet is the one who recommended the muzzle b/c I tried for years not to use the muzzle and there was no way I could keep his weight down without it, I even cut out his grain and he was in work 6 days a week. He is the type of horse that eats 24/7 and never comes up for air; he does this in the spring and fall when he is out almost 24/7. He gets his grain at 6pm with hay, I think I forgot to mention that and gets a little hay in the am before breakfast then out all day on the round bale and hay again at 10pm. He never gets grain without getting a little hay first. I wish I could give him hay 4-5 times a day instead of having him on the round bale, but I work full time and am not home during the day. I know this would be best but I figure that the round bale will have to do.

I think if the mineral and pro bio don’t work I will talk with the vet about ulcers and also see if he recommends doing blood work.

Thanks for the sympathy from those that have been through this. It was very odd to see him do this.

Comment

You don't say what kind of grain he is getting, but perhaps using a ration balancer - something like Purina's Enrich 12 or Enrich 32 would be helpful, if he doesn't go for the loose minerals. You would only feed a small amount to balance what he isn't getting in the hay. You can search on COTH for info about ration balancers if it's something you want to consider.

My all time favorite for pro / pre-biotics is Ration Plus. It's a liquid and seems to blend nicely with small amounts of grain/pellets.

Comment

I boarded my quarterhorse for at least 10 years...he didn't get much turn out at all, although he was being ridden. As soon as I moved him to my friends place, which I ended up purchasing her farm, he stopped. He has NOT touched his manure in over 4 years! I spoke to EVERY VET I knew and gave him minerals, etc. I truely believe he was bored out of his mind!!!

Maybe you could lunge him or ride him in the pasture to get him some exercise. Good luck with your guy. He sounds like a beautiful horse.

Comment

Working...
                                    X