• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ever Had a Coffin Bone Debrided? Keratoma Removed ? Updates Throughout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Had a Coffin Bone Debrided? Keratoma Removed ? Updates Throughout Thread

My gut hunch that an abcess was not JUST an abcess was correct. Horse has a dark spot on the edge of his coffin bone above the abcess site. Vet does not think it is part of the abcess, but perhaps a keratoma - which would have caused bruising, which caused the abcess below it - OR that he has a septic coffin bone. How he would have gotten a coffin bone infection is beyond all of us, as to the best of our knowledge he has never had a puncture to that foot, etc. etc but.. there it is. Possibly a septic coffin bone.

So.. has anyone ever had a coffin bone debrided? Outcome? Keratoma removed? Outcome?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Jan. 9, 2009, 02:25 PM. Reason: Updates
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Hope this will be helpful
    http://www.liphookequinehosp.co.uk/llkeratoma.htm

Comment

My gelding had a keratoma removed in 2004.

On the x-rays is showed up as a black area. His was on the tip of the coffin bone, so part of it was removed as well as the Keratoma.

Here is the link to his 1 year hoof growth. WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO'S

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...hoof%20Growth/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you both

The pics of the hoof that had surgery are great. Healed beautifully! What were your horses symptoms, if you don't mind me asking?

My update is that the surgeon at NCSU does not think it is a keratoma .. he thinks it is either part of the abcess or a septic coffin bone.

He wants us to treat it very aggressively at home for 5 - 7 days and then reevaluate. If it is not showing signs of recovery by then, he will open the foot and do whatever needs to be done.

Kudos to my vet, who took the films straight to him and waited for him to see them this afternoon and then called me. I am grateful to have a team who knows not to waste time, but to never be hasty.

She'll repeat the perfusion for two more days and he'll also be on IV antiobiotics 4x day for seven days.

I casted his opposite foot today w/ACS to support it, although this evening he was standing comfortably on both feet. Banamine is working better to control his pain than bute. Rinitidine and gastroguard for his tummy. The hole in his foot is packed w/metronidazole.

I figured I would add these details in case anyone ever does a search on this, it might be helpful information.
        ---
        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

My horse started out as being "just off", not lame, then it was repeated abscesses for 18 months before I found a Vet that would x-ray his hoof.

Good for you having the opposite foot cast. I wish I had done that, as a year after, his opposite hoof split in half, and I had to do 1 year of glue on shoes.

My horse was pain free immediately after surgery, he refused to take any more bute.

Comment

My old horse had surgery to remove a Keratoma in August 1995. It looked like someone took an ice cream scoop from just below the coronary band. I started riding him in again December and was competing again by May.

We used dog collars with terry cloth sewn around them that we dipped in a hoof dressing to continually stimulate the coronary band for speedy growth. X-rays to this day show a little half-moon missing from his coffin bone.

He competed until he was 22. He's now 25 and still sound.

Comment

• Original Poster

Today's update:

As of bedcheck last night, he is sound. I did not give him anymore banamine and he is still perfectly sound at the walk. Affected foot is in a diaper/vetwrap/duct tape bootie so no big support there.

Vet just finished the second perfusion. She is thrilled that he is sound. She put in a catheter and started IV antiobiotics, I'll be doing this 4x day for the next 5 days. Tomorrow we will haul him to the clinic to save her having to drive 1 1/2 hours to my house and do one more perfusion.

So far, so good. Gotta just love this horse, he has been 100% a gentleman while she has been working on him.
              ---

Comment

My mare just had one removed the day before Thanksgiving. My mare is not normal and does not like to follow how things are supposed to go. She did not have an abscess and her lameness came on suddenly. I turned her out, she bucked once while out (stood the rest of the time), but when I went to bring her in she was three legged lame. She would barely walk on her hind right, and when I'd stop her she'd stand holding it in the air. I gave her some IV banamine, put her away, and by that evening she was walking fine on it. I had my employer come look at her the next day. She blocked to an abaxial which surprised me so we took radiographs. The solar margin shot showed a nice size hole at the tip of her coffin bone. After consulting with a surgeon friend of mine she suggested it could be a keratoma but that her symptoms didn't add up. She was fine at the walk (off at the trot) for the next 10 days, then she all of a sudden went back to barely being able to walk. I got the vet back out and it was determined she needed to get to the hospital for surgery. We had to block her foot to even get her on the trailer to get to to the hospital. She was hopping on three legs at this point. She had surgery the next day and is doing great. She was on bute and injectible antibiotics for a little while, and had a cast on her foot for 3 1/2 weeks. She was walking sound within 2 days of surgery, and completely off bute within 2 weeks. She got the cast off and was put in a bar shoe with a pad and is currently only a 1/5 lame which is awesome considering hopping to get to the trailer. I was lucky in that her keratoma was able to get popped out from the sole of her foot. They made a small hole right at the tip of her frog maybe a little over an inch in diameter and just popped it out. She's currently 6 weeks out from surgery and I'm walk/trotting her under saddle.

Here's the x-ray of her foot.
                http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...olarmargin.jpg

Here's the keratoma. It's on the left and the round piece on the right is the piece of sole they removed.
                http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/PIC-0143.jpg

Her purple cast with an E for Emma. She's spent lots of quality time with her favorite surgeon Dr. Dave.
                http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...y/150_5048.jpg

Comment

I have a retired horse that had an abcess for a month. We took x-rays & found an infection on the tip of the coffin bone. I had the surgery done to debride the coffin bone, and they found an enormous keratoma. They removed the keratoma....but it extended all the way up to the coronet band. They had to cut away 1/3 of his hoof. (poor thing, this horse has always been a tough cookie). After about 2-3 weeks of aggressive care, we were able to put a shoe with a plate that covered the top of the hoof where it had been completely cutaway. As the hoof grew out, the blacksmith moved the plate down the hoof. He is now fine, sound, shoeless & retired. In total, (vet and blacksmith), it cost me a couple thousand. The surgeon told me if the source of the Keratoma was above the coronet band, then it will grow back- however if he got the original source out, then he will be fine. I have read on the internet that once removed, the horse is fine. My blacksmith told me he deals with this about 1-3 times per year. He said depending on the size and location of the keratoma, the hoof structure can be damaged. Since my horse is retired, he has no stress on his feet. He runs to come in to dinner just fine !

Comment

• Original Poster

Todays Update:

We took him to the clinic today for his perfusion so my poor vet would not have to drive all this way. It's her on call weekend and she would have done it but I thought she deserved a break

Got there and he was just fantastic. He has always been a good baby but today he was stellar. Loaded beautifully, rode great, walked off like he lived there. Liked the room service in the big stall. Never made a peep or got anxious at all. She did the perfusion and then we did his afternoon antiobiotics as he seemed to be a bit colicy this AM after I did them. He was fine. Ran a hemocrit and some other things to be sure he was hydrated and everything was great.

Loaded him back up and brought him home. He got to be turned out for a few hours before the storms started, he has been on stall rest for 8 days today. He trotted around (perfectly sound) and then started looking for grass.

So.. hopefully the surgeon is right and this is not a keratoma. The abcess site is still draining (!!!) The stories about keratomas are fascinating... I am worried that we will end up in surgery anyway and it will be one.. we won't re-radiograph for two more weeks, meds for 3 more days, so I have quite some time to be in suspense...

I do his next set of meds at 1:00 AM, so I can sleep until 7:00. It doesn't sound so bad right now but I am sure at 1:00 I will not be so perky!
                    ---

Comment

Jingling for you, and the Dinkster...from cold, snowy, cold SE PA!!

He couldn't be in better hands!
                      When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                      www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                      http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

My 3-1/2 WEEK old foal suddeny became very lame. I'd seen him loose his wheels zooming round his green field so presumed, wrongly, that he had hurt himself falling. (I had visions of a cracked pelvis). Vet very soon found out he had an abcess on his coffin bone. He did surgery. Two months of stall rest and foot dressing, temperature taking and a/b's and he is fine. Note to self: don't try and diagnose when you don't know a darned thing. Good luck.
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Blue bullet - can you quickly describe how you put that nice neat dressing on the foot. Sure did a neater job than I did with my Tobey! I had to strap on tape and duct tape onto a hind foot on a suckling that was trying to learn to balance on three legs.
                          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                            Blue bullet - can you quickly describe how you put that nice neat dressing on the foot. Sure did a neater job than I did with my Tobey! I had to strap on tape and duct tape onto a hind foot on a suckling that was trying to learn to balance on three legs.
                            Are you refering to the picture with her cast? If so I didn't put that on. The surgeon put the cast on after they completed her surgery while she was still knocked out. Her other foot you can see a little of has an ultimate shoe taped to it with elastikon to help prevent her from getting support limb laminitis. I can't even imagine how much fun it must have been to have to wrap a foal's foot for two months.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                              My 3-1/2 WEEK old foal suddeny became very lame. I'd seen him loose his wheels zooming round his green field so presumed, wrongly, that he had hurt himself falling. (I had visions of a cracked pelvis). Vet very soon found out he had an abcess on his coffin bone. He did surgery. Two months of stall rest and foot dressing, temperature taking and a/b's and he is fine. Note to self: don't try and diagnose when you don't know a darned thing. Good luck.
                              Foxtrot - did they give you any idea of how they thought he got it?

My vet and the surgeon keep pondering how he got this w/no puncture wound. Pretty sure he never had one.

And.. oh dear.. no fun wrapping a baby every day! Dinky is a baby, but a four year old baby with excellent manners, so it's been easy - so far.
                              ---

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post
                                Jingling for you, and the Dinkster...from cold, snowy, cold SE PA!!

He couldn't be in better hands!
                                Thanks he is turned out right now, we are expecting rain - and by the end of the week, HIGH's in the twenties, lows in the 10's...

I don't think frozen ground is really what he needs right now (sigh). I think I will be handwalking on the pea gravel A LOT.
                                ---

Comment

Yes, I've had two horses who had coffin bone debridement (surgically). Horse #1 had was due to an old, very deep abscess that tracked up and infected the tip of the coffin bone. In fact it was the only abscess he ever had in the 24 years I owned him -- but it was a doozy.

Horse #2, somehow cracked her sole and debris had worked its way up to the coffin bone.

Horse #1 was back in work (with a hospital plate) in the indoor within a few weeks of surgery. Horse #2 was put in a foot cast, then shod with a full pad and recovered without incident as well.
                                  www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                                  "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                                  Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

My TB filly had her coffin bone debrided in Feb 07. She had punctured her foot in the pasture and gotten the tip of her coffin bone. She spented 6 weeks on layup (at a facility...cleanliness was important and our barn just isn't set up to keep a bouncy yearling TB on stallrest....not to mention the luxury of having experienced barn help to clean and wrap...this was a back foot). After 4-5 weeks, we put a medicine plate on and she kept that on when she came home. She did go out on pasture at that point. We tried a Davis boot over the medicine plate, but it seems to get more dirt inside and hold it there. So we went back to cotton, elastikon, vet wrap and duct tape OVER the medicine plate. Then after about 2 months, just the medicine plate. Filly was sound when we brought her home and remained sound.

We were diligent about her care. That is my best advice. Don't cut any corners.

Comment

I once took a yearling to the NCSU vet school for a curette and debride on his R/F coffin bone. It was not because of a Keratoma but the condition was equally serious. I don't know if your vet was Dr. Schramme but he did a great job on my horse. He is now sound but it took a long time for the limping to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                        Foxtrot - did they give you any idea of how they thought he got it?

My vet and the surgeon keep pondering how he got this w/no puncture wound. Pretty sure he never had one.

And.. oh dear.. no fun wrapping a baby every day! Dinky is a baby, but a four year old baby with excellent manners, so it's been easy - so far.
                                        You'd be amazed at the weird things they manage to do. My mare (same one with the keratoma) had a septic knee with no wound, no puncture, no nothing. Her leg swelled making us think a cellulitis, after a few days of no change we decided to try to drain her knee to give her some relief from the swelling. We got some nasty yellow, chunky looking joint fluid back. Sent it in and it came back septic. The surgeon who did arthroscopic surgery on her knee was baffled since she didn't see anything at all on her knee.

Comment

Working...
                                        X