• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

kissing spines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kissing spines

Does anyone have experience with kissing spines in a horse? A close friend's horse has been diagnosed with this as well as EPM. I'm familiar with EPM -- been there, but just wondered if an etiology for kissing spines is known and if there is any hope. He's about 10, warmblood dressage horse. TIA
    PennyG

It really depends. How bad is it? Where is it? Have they done a bone scan to see if the area is "hot"? How about a meylogram to see if there is spinal cord impingement? Do they have any idea how much neurological impairment is due to EPM vs the changes in the spine?

My horse has bony changes in her neck at C6/C7, which were diagnosed via bone scan and subsequent radiographs. We injected the neck and put her on gabapentin, and she's resolved nearly 100% and is back in full work. There's a long thread about what went on with Blush here: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=161628

Comment

The only way to help both problems is to build the muscle in the back and hind end. The muscle can strengthen the back/hind end to the point where, hopefully if it's not too far gone, the horse can have a pain free life, and even do some light riding.
      Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
      http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

I hate being this person.. but do a search on Tildren. A lot of people.. including myself for Jay, have used it to help with kissing spines. Shock wave also helped him, along with 24/7 turn out, saddle fitting, and topline strength.

I took my horse to Virgina Equine Imaging and they were super helpful.

edited to add- just noticed you're in Alabama... i'm sure they're someone good in that area too!
        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I second Tildren, but also want to say that you REALLY need to make sure that your diagnosis is correct. KS is one of those things vets tend to throw out when they're not sure what is wrong, but feel the need to diagnose something.

Has this horse had a full-body scan and have you had correct x-rays done at one of the major clinics. Not every vet has the facility to do back x-rays?

If it is KS, properly diagnosed, you're going to need to find an excellent chiro to help you work through it. Whether the horse will remain rideable is going to depen on where, in the spine, the KS is localised. If it's under the saddle area, my understanding is that your chances of having a rideable horse long-term are slim.

Wishing your friend a good prognosis.

Comment

See if you can find anything by this vetietrich Graf von Schweinitz

He is located in the UK and I have emailed with a client that had great success rehab'ing her horse with KS under his watchful eye.

I have 3 articles by him I can email you-they are interesting.

Maybe you can even contact his clinic and have a distance consult with him.

http://www.southernhillsequine.com/

Comment

LMH- Could you email me those articles as well? My mare has been diagnosed with KS via large x-ray and nuc scan. I am very interested in the articles.
              "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

I just need an email addy!

Comment

For anyone who has had a horse xrayed and subsequently diagnosed w/kissing spines - what position was the horses body xrayed in?

Just a curiousity for me.
                  "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                  ---
                  The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                    For anyone who has had a horse xrayed and subsequently diagnosed w/kissing spines - what position was the horses body xrayed in?

Just a curiousity for me.
                    YES! I have asked my vets about this and to my knowledge there is no 'standard position' for the xray.

So if a horse had a high head and dropped back would it not LOOK like KS when it would not be if the back was up and round with a low head?

THIS is a question I have had for ages.

I actually would LOVE to take xrays with different head positions to see the change (if any)

Comment

LMH- you have a pm
                      "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post
                        YES! I have asked my vets about this and to my knowledge there is no 'standard position' for the xray.

So if a horse had a high head and dropped back would it not LOOK like KS when it would not be if the back was up and round with a low head?

THIS is a question I have had for ages.

I actually would LOVE to take xrays with different head positions to see the change (if any)
                        This is probably why my vet says this sort of thing can only definitely be diagnosed via nuclear scintigraphy. If the area lights up, you know it's a problem. If it does not, then it probably is old and cold and not bothering the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeleer View Post

If it is KS, properly diagnosed, you're going to need to find an excellent chiro to help you work through it. Whether the horse will remain rideable is going to depen on where, in the spine, the KS is localised. If it's under the saddle area, my understanding is that your chances of having a rideable horse long-term are slim.
                          I was told to stay away from chiropractors, depending on the degree of the KS they can often do more harm than good as far as relining and causing the spines to rub against each other.

Also my horse's kissing spines are under the saddle and with proper rehab he's doing really well as a lower level horse.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67313206&hl=en

That was his first dressage show after the diagnoses, we got 2nd place!
                          http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Even more interesting to do them w/the horse completely in "round" posture - if JB reads this, perhaps she can describe how we do this w/Rio on the ground. My fingers are frozen
                            ---
                            The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Even if no hot spots show up on the bone scane and no lesions show on the radiographs, a horse could still get an occasional 'pinch' if the processes were close....jmho.

A friend of mine has a horse that definitely has KS in the wither area and under the saddle where the rider sits. It was diagnosed on bone scan and on radiograph there are bony changes. This horse gets routine shockwave and back injections. I think he's had Tildren once as well. He is working PSG (he's 12 this year) and is showing no problems under saddle. Therefore, in some cases I think it can be maintained and competitive with this condition. It's like everything else with horses; each case is different.

How dumb of me. I never thought about the position the horse is in when the back radiographs are taken. It definitely would make a difference. Also, once a rider was seated, that would make make even a bigger difference, wouldn't it? Unless, the horse really had good belly muscles and lifted his back.

Comment

Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post

Also, once a rider was seated, that would make make even a bigger difference, wouldn't it? Unless, the horse really had good belly muscles and lifted his back.
                                DING DING DING-the reason riders should take more seriously whether a horse is correctly muscled or not! The things we do every day to our horses because we simply don't know any better-what they endure.

There are some that feel most KS cases ARE rider/poor training induced.

That will get ya thinking, won't it!

Comment

Unless, the horse really had good belly muscles and lifted his back.

Sometimes I wonder if my next "job" when I am too old and decrepit to do what I do now, should be that of a liasion between vets and riders. How would they know this? Of course they don't get taught this in school and not all of them ride. They are potentially missing a big part of the picture.
                                  ---

Comment

EQT, I know vets that ride and compete, that are very weak in their knowledge of biomechanics. Very sad. Even my saddle fitter can see asymetry that my vet is unable to see. He thinks it's all voodoo.

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post

There are some that feel most KS cases ARE rider/poor training induced.
                                      Who? No offense but I've never seen or read anything that suggested that besides it being linked to trauma at the racetrack which I guess could be considered "poor training".

Comment

Meredith-I have NO idea where I read it. I have actually had a trainer talk to me about the same thing.

I agree there CAN and IS trauma related KS, and conformations that predispose a horse to KS...BUT I also believe there is more 'training induced' KS than people realize.

There are SO many horses out there just gleefully trotsing along on the forehand or going every so slightly hollow-and doing this for YEARS. Add in a less than graceful rider, or little off saddle fit (and dare I mention hooves) and a horse is left with an issue that would have never otherwise happened.

I also know of some horses that have had the issue corrected-as in gone on xrays, when the training, etc was corrected.

It just brings home a little more responsibility on the riders-as it should.

My 10TB has x-rays that indicate KS-he is a bit conformationally challenged-long back, flatter croup, straighter in the hind legs...BUT BUT BUT I did NOT know the importance and the reasoning behind certain development exercises. He may have crashed either way but *my* lack of knowledge did not help matters.

This also begs the question-IS he structurally built like this? Or did lack of correct biomechanical movement make him like this? Hmmmm Hmmmm!

I have 3 other horses, all ridden by me, and none have back issues...but none are built like him. AND one was older and trained when I got him, the other 2 are 2 and 5 years behind Julian-so I got better before each of them came in the loop. Hmmmmm, Hmmmmm!

Had I been more aware and educated I *may* have been able to help him or prevent his decline (or slow it down). Or maybe not.

Just gives moment to pause.

Comment

Working...
                                        X