Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

On again off again lameness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On again off again lameness

My mare's on again off again lameness that plagued us last year is on again.

It started about this time last year, and myself and the BO thought it appeared she had gotten kicked in her hind end. Gave her a week off and she was right as rain. Then a while later it looked like she had strained a muscle in her shoulder. There had been a big storm with lots of ice so BO and I agreed that it was likely just a strain. Gave her a week off and she was good to go again. Then in June she started to look sore in her stifles. I called the vet, but they couldn't come out immediately and a day later when my appointment was she was totally sound so I canceled. Same thing happened in August, she was lame for two days and then totally sound. September again, same thing. This time I did have the vet out, but the next day when he showed up she was totally sound. Couldn't even "make" her take a bad step during a full lameness exam. Vet didn't think it was worth the time/money to do xrays. He had two theories one of them being that the she was sore from the multiple growth spurts that she went through (she grew two inches in the front end and matured/filled out a TON last year), or could be a selenium deficiency. We tossed around PSSM and EPM, but other than the weird lameness she really showed no signs of either, and the vet didn't feel the need to test. She got a selenium shot, and has been on Deccox ever since. Since then she hasn't had any issues. Now, she is lame again and it looks like its the same type of thing. At 7 years old I would thinks she would be done growing...

It doesn't seem to matter if she is on full turn out or stalled, or what her work load is. Right now she is only getting ridden once a week by my trainer's working student, last year I was riding her 3-4 times a week. Last year she was on full turn out, currently she is out 12 hours of the day and in a large box stall at night.

Vidoes of her from Tuesday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIi...QLSGwWlhxjQ8AA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDIT...QLSGwWlhxjQ8AA

I know nobody on here is a vet, and I have an appointment set up for Monday, I would just kind of like some ideas of what to talk to my vet about, and if anybody else has ever had any experience with this type of situation.
    RH Queen O Anywhere "Sydney"
    2009 Sugarbush Draft mare
    Western Dressage
    Draft Mare blog
    Original Poster

Just wanted to add during all of these lameness episodes she never showed any heat or swelling in any parts of her body. Was still bright, alert, eating, drinking, and having normal body functions. She did have a mild bout of lameness in in 2013 before I bought her, but it was thought to be from the horrible hoary allysum bloom that plagued the area. She passed her PPE in November of 2013 with flying colors.
    Western Dressage
    Draft Mare blog

Comment

First, did you check her selenium levels before giving her selenium? You can over dose. Traveling lameness I would rule out Lyme with the multiplex test from Cornell, which has three parts to it, one being "chronic" phase. Other than that you need to put your head together with a good vet.
      Lameness like this can be a mystery and hard to find....but please rule out Lyme, ask me how I know. ??
      Adriane
      Happily retired but used to be:
      www.ParrotNutz.com

Comment

Yes, definitely have the horse tested for lyme disease, if you haven't already.
        "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Original Poster

I live in an area where the vet sees a lot of selenium deficiency, so he felt that there was a very slim chance of over dose. Though the more I read about it the more that I guess I should have advocated for her to be tested first. The good news is that she didn't have an ill effects, in fact it didn't really seem like it had any effect at all. What seemed to help the most was starting her on Deccox, and she has been sound since last fall. She is currently still on it though, apparently it wasn't the cure.
          Western Dressage
          Draft Mare blog

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Posting Trot View Post
            Yes, definitely have the horse tested for lyme disease, if you haven't already.
            I have not had her tested for Lyme yet.
            Western Dressage
            Draft Mare blog

Comment

Is Deccox an antibiotic? Why did the vet decide to start her on that?
              "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Original Poster

No, its a product used to treat EPM, but according to the a different vet (not the one that did the selenium injection) can help horses with hard to treat lamenesses for some reason. My former trainer's retired schoolmaster who was barely pasture sound became pasture sound while on it, and another friend who's horse was marginally sound after a hoof injury that didn't heal correctly also became more comfortable. Thus I decided to try it.
                Western Dressage
                Draft Mare blog

Comment

Personally, I don't deal with vets that just try a magic bullet without testing. Where I live we have lots of Vit E and selenium deficiencies , but the vest test first and then prescribe! And to prescribe a drug with absolutely no testing, as it seems, is also stupid in my humble opinion.
                  Why have you had two different vets prescribing with no work ups?as any blood work been done at all to rule out things?? Doesn't make sense to me.
                  Adriane
                  Happily retired but used to be:
                  www.ParrotNutz.com

Comment

Original Poster

Deccox isn't prescribed, most feed stores carry it.

As I said in my other post, I guess I figured the vet knew what he was doing and didn't question not testing for her Selenium levels before treating her. He assured me that the likelyhood of any bad side effects was minimal.

Just wanted to add that as of right now she is scheduled for a fluoroscopy on Monday.
                    Western Dressage
                    Draft Mare blog

Comment

Did the vet take any x-rays of her hind end when you originally thought she had been kicked? Perhaps she has a chip that is moving around and only causes her discomfort very occasionally? A friends horse had a chip in his knee and would present suddenly 3 legged and then be fine within a day or two, no heat or swelling. He was sound with full work for long periods of time and then would come up three legged. Owner finally got x-rays and they found the chip, had it removed and horse is fine.

Comment

I have heard that it used to be common (and maybe still is) in Standardbred racing circles to treat for EPM when there was any sign of lameness that couldn't immediately be diagnosed as something else, without doing any diagnostic tests for EPM.

Did the vet do any tests to see if the horse had a neurological impairment? (Such as pulling on the tail, crossing one leg over the other, walking the horse up and down hill, etc.). Here's a good discussion of what a neuro exam would be like: http://www.equinewobblers.com/diagno...amination.html

If the horse is going to see the vet anyway on Monday, it would be easy for him to take a blood sample and send it off to be tested for lyme disease. I would ask specifically for the lyme test to be done.

Good luck.

Comment

The thing that jumps out at me in the video, aside from the right front lameness, of course, is that she appears rather back at the knee in the right front. Do you have any standing conformation shots of her? Do you have video of her trotting to the right? I think were only a handful of trot steps in the video you shared.

Seeing lameness and a possible flexural deformity in the same leg makes me think the two may be related and if she were mine, I'd have her front feet and right carpus x-rayed. Often, a horse that is hyperextended at the knee will have a high heel and broken hoof/pastern angle on that side due to tension in the DDFT and, by association, eventually in the flexors, too. This can lead to hoof pain in the area of the toe, pedal osteitis, ring bone....any of a number of pain causing conditions. Occasionally, the pain is in the heal because of the "heel jamming" gait a horse may have when back at the knee.

Perhaps the video doesn't give an honest perception of that leg, though, which is why I asked about confo shots.
                          "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                          http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

Original Poster

The vet that suggested Deccox to me is a STB racing vet. He will be the vet doing the fluroscopy on Monday. My neighbor races so I am just piggy backing on her appointment since she was already having him out to do full work ups on her two year olds before they head to the track.

She had a full lameness exam including checking neurological responses. We discussed EPM and PSSM but he found no evidence of either. She didn't put a toe out of line. We couldn't make her lame even when using the hold their leg up for a set amount of time technique. She trotted off sound every time. I did not get x-rays as the vet was not really sure where we should even x-ray during that particular visit. As I said unless I can get vet a out the very day that she comes up lame (which thus far has not been possible) she is sound again within a day or two. Part of her lameness episodes is that she also doesn't ever show any signs of heat or swelling.

BO checked her over after the suspected kick, and I know she is not a vet, but she was a vet tech for 20 years with The Best equine vet in the area before he retired. She was always my go-to for "does this need to be seen by a vet." We agreed that she didn't need to be seen by a vet at that time. The kick appeared to be in the fleshy part of her hip, and it never really appears to be her hips that bother her, more her stifles and shoulders.

She has been regularly seen by a MT, and I am looking into possible chiro as well. My chiro moved out of the area a while back which was super disappointing as she did people and horses. Loved that! I haven't really persued chiro for either of us since then, and we could both probably use it.

She is also due to get trimmed, but my farrier rather suddenly up and left the country to watch his daughter compete in a Friesian show in the Netherlands. I was hoping that he could give me some insight and help rule out abscess at the very least.
                            Western Dressage
                            Draft Mare blog

Comment

Did you put hoof testers on her when she was lame? What breed is she? I'd eliminate problems in the hoof (navicular changes, mild chronic laminitis) first, and check for lyme or other diseases. But absolutely xray her front feet!

Comment

Can you post some photos of confo, as well as hind end/back shots?

Comment

I also would test for Lyme. My gelding had a wandering lameness issue that the BO noticed. It was very subtle. She had him tested one day when the vet was there (she's also a friend so I didn't have an issue with that) and son of a gun if he didn't come back positive. Fortunately he recovered completely on 6 weeks of doxy.
                                  "With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

Original Poster

I have a call out to my current BO's farrier. My mare was suppose to be trimmed last week when my farrier suddenly left the country. Here are pictures of her feet, keep in mind she is due to be trimmed: https://plus.google.com/photos/10185...NSU8O_wu47S8QE

She is a Sugarbush Draft aka an Appaloosa x draft cross.

Is this what you mean by back end pictures?

This is the most recent full body shot that I have.

I am thinking it may be a case of thrush. She seemed a lot better yesterday, or at least not dead/limping lame on the concrete, only sore when she pivoted in her stall.
                                    Western Dressage
                                    Draft Mare blog

Comment

IMHO, having watched the videos you just put up, plus the other short ones off the the right (be careful BTW, she could connect kicking like that, sorry can't let that go), anyway, something seems off behind. She's standing with the left hind behind the right in both pics you have posted at a bit of a wonky angle and she looks reluctant to step forward with both right feet to the right. That could indicate she does not want to push off the left.

Im not a farrier but do those feet look like they are not overdue for a trim to anybody else? Seem short to my ammy eye. But I don't think it has anything to do with the hind end irregularity.

Do think it's unusual the vet doing the lamness exam did not do blocks with one presenting with chronic on and off lamness-unless you did not want to proceed for financial reasons. Nobody really has done a "full lamness exam" without them. I'd skip the body work and get that full evaluation because something is wrong here. Pull blood too.
                                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Left hind stifle?

She is turning he leg inside when trotting, and her head seems to come up the moment that she has to use that leg. Curious to see what vet says.
                                        "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Comment

Working...
                                        X