• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Choked on well soaked beet pulp.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Choked on well soaked beet pulp.

Yup folks, it's true.
    My friends horse needed some vet attention yesterday due to CHOKE!

The vet pulled out beet pulp.

The said beet pulp had been soaked over night and even the vet said "I'd be really surprised if he was choking on the pulp" right before he pulled some out.

On top of that- Apparently there was old scar tissue meaning it wasn't the first time this horse had an issue.
    He is known to eat too fast.

Vet even wanted him taken off hay. yikes.

I close my eyes and cover my ears. I still love beet pulp.
    But I will give into the the 'too much soy product is bad' rage.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

well... if it makes you feel better..... i have a mare that chokes at the drop of a hat. i have had her about 3 months now and i have *seen* her choking 3 times - (in fact the last time was today) - i don't know if this has happened when i am not around. she tends to choke on pellets for sure and maybe beet pulp (i mix) ... luckily i have been able to push on her trachea and help her un-choke herself....but no fun.

so my point is: there seem to be horses that are prone to choke - and others aren't - and for the ones that are... all you can do is make sure everything is as mushy as possible - and try to help them un-choke if you can....

Comment

we also had a mare choke on beet pulp...also well-soaked. She was an OTTB mare, young (6) and I will never give her beet pulp again...it was a bad choke. I have not lost faith in beet pulp though, many of our senior citizens get it and love it...
      www.charmingcreekfarm.com

Comment

We have a horse in the barn that's a chronic choker. He hasn't had hay in several years. He gets soaked hay cubes (WELL soaked) and soaked TC Low Starch.

If the horse has scar tissue, he may need the same sort of diet.

Comment

Hay

I have a choker...His problem is he eats way too fast and has TMJ. I have to do his teeth every 6 months because even the slightest point causes a problem. No problems with hay, it's just the usual gorging on his feed. I do have three salt blocks in his bucket to slow him down. So far no chokes were vet intervened and he worked them out himself. Ugh and it's really scary to watch.
          Last edited by pines4equines; Jan. 1, 2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
          Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
          One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
          Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

It was beet pulp this time but it could be something else next time. I've had several horses choke on soaked beet pulp (and this is not including the time I attempted to feed it dry - NEVER do that) and I know why - they were mares fed together in a pasture and they were gulping their feed as fast as they could to keep the other mares from stealing it. Of course, once this started happening, the way they were fed had to change.

I also have a broodmare who is now 11 years old. She first choked on pelleted food when she was 4 years old and it was a bad choke which resulted in scar tissue in her esophogus. She has had a few more choke episodes despite taking major precautions with soaking her feed. I don't blame whatever it is she is choking on - I know it's just her.

So keep loving your beet pulp. I have 13 horses right now that have been eating it for 3 years who have never had a choke episode and I think that's a pretty good record .
            Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

I had a horse choke on a cup of whole oats (and he's the slowest eater of all my horses too!). It just takes the smallest thing going down wrong to cause it. And it's scary, scary stuff when it happens. Do you put any large rocks in this horse's buckets to slow the eating too quick problem? That's always been a good thing for my bolting eaters. I'm sorry to hear your horse choked and hope it doesn't become a common thing.

Comment

I've had two choke on wet BP, and neither are particularly greedy eaters. One wasn't mine and she went home where they never feed BP, and the other was mine and I don't think I'll ever again feed it to him again. After that I'm a little leary now, but I'd still feed it if I had to; the only reason I was feeding it at all was to stretch last year's meager hay supply.

Comment

Is this pellets or shreds that horses are choking on soaked?? Just curious since I just started feeding soaked shreds a month ago.

Comment

In all honestly, horses can and do choke on just about everything...especially once they've had an episode of choke.

My horse was getting a semi-sweet feed when he had his first choke. We added water, all was well for about a year. He had another episode on the semi-sweet even though it was soaked. I didn't know what else to do so I fed him in small spurts. I'd walk by, dump another handful or two into his bin until his meal was gone. He lives out 24/7 and doing this in the AM before work when I have many other chores to do was not really working out (I only feed one weekday AM and I felt it was even less convenient for the BO who feeds the other weekday AM's).

Since we couldn't feed him like that every meal he ended up having several episodes - closer and closer together each time. I'd take him off grain for a couple days, feed him a mash, etc but every couple weeks was too much. I started shopping for other feed. He's always been an easy keeper but finding the right food to keep the choke away and maintain his weight has been tricky. I finally settled on Triple Crown Senior which I didn't want because of the molassess content but he's maintaining his weight and has only choked twice *knock on wood* since he's been on that (about 8 months or so). The one time he did it the other boarder was feeding and didn't add enough water. The other time was Thanksgiving Day. No one is really sure what caused it that day but both episodes were small so it makes me think it comes from his teeth/chewing/swallowing.

He used to throw his food on the floor and eat most of it from there but as he's gotten older (he's a tb so I suppose he turned 24 today although, he never raced so I stick to his 5/12 birthdate ) he has stopped throwing his food and taken to eating slowly and daintily from his bin like a more normal horse. He used to eat pretty fast too-usually the first one done-but he's now ok with taking his time. I'm surprised he chokes now yet never did before. That's what makes me think he might not be chewing as well etc. He sees the dentist and his teeth are actually fine but...

So. Basically. Don't blame it on just one thing. That one thing might be more prone to causing it but it's possible with lots of things. And for the record-my horse has never choked on hay. If he couldn't eat his hay I don't know what I'd do - he so very much loves his hay
                    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
                    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
                    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Comment

Sorry about your friend's horse.

Worst choke I've dealt w/ was my Percheron mare (no history of choke at all) and she choked on...............you ready for it................. pasture GRASS!! My vet was convinced she'd had some corn from the neighboring field (after harvest) and she ate the cob, too. Nope, after three hours of tubing w/ several sedations w/ breaks and finally a shot of oxytocin, the giant blob of grass was cleared. The tube went clear into her stomach and we only had about 5" of it to hold onto once it finally cleared. She had it lodged waaay down there. I was scared to death for her to eat grass or hay ever again. I kept her in for a week, no hay for several days (not even the alfalfa), ate mushy food and was put on antibiotics and pain meds for the irritation of her esophogus and I could hand graze her for a few days after then reintroduce her back to the pasture. Thank GOD she's never choked again after that and was fine.

We figure she never came up to drink after she found the perfect grass patch. Wasn't so perfect after all.
                      A Merrick N Dream Farm
                      Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

The horse probably choked because he was bolting his food, and would have choked regardless of the feed - grain, hay, grass, beet pulp. I think it's incredibly dumb to feed dry beet pulp in any sort of quantity (but smaller amounts mixed in with grain is probably no more danger than my horse chewing on sticks while we trail ride. ) So if I were your friend, I wouldn't quit soaking. But I'd add 3 or 4 large, smooth stones in his bucket. They make dog bowls with plastic dividers, but I'm not sure if anything like that is available for horses??

Good luck and jingles to your friend's horse.

Comment

I'm not surprised at the removal of hay. Our pony club was donated a great mare who had choked 2x on hay and the owner couldn't handle it any more. She was never to receive hay again. She had scared her throat. We kept her fine on grass and very sloppy food. In her later life she was able to go back to hay again. My STB choked one time bad and he never got dry food again. It's just too scary.

Comment

Make sure the horse gets some banamine for a few days after a choke to cut down on the inflammation caused by the choke. Over the long-term it's the scarring and swelling caused by the inflammation that will turn a horse into a repeated choker.

Also, get the horse's teeth floated, if they haven't been done within the last 6 months. Even if they have been done recently, get the vet to feel around in the mouth for anything amiss.
                            "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

How soupy was it? Perhaps adding more water would help?

Comment

This past Labor Day we had a horse in our barn choke and was unfortunately euthanized. Vet said there seemed to be too much scar tissure from other episodes and this would continue. Last choke he got very sick afterwards for over month and owner felt it wasn't fair to him. It was so heartbreaking.
                                "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Comment

I had a pony that choked 3 times. My ponies would bang their buckets against the wall to shift all the feed to one side so they could get a big mouthfuls and inhale it. I changed all my feed buckets to rubber feed tubs, then they would bang their knee on the tub and shift the feed to one side, they didn't eat it quite as fast. So I went big, the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gallon barrel and bolted it to the wall in the corner of the stall. It has really slowed them down eating, they chase their feed all around and around the barrel, they can't get a big mouth full and they don't spill any on the ground any more. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the barrel so I can wash the tub out and the water can drain out into a bucket placed under the hole on the ground. The ponies that are fed on the fence line each have a barrel that is cut in half length ways with holes drilled for drainage. I don't feed anything out of a bucket anymore not only because of choking (no choking since changing to barrels), but because they don't spill as much feed, they don't learn to flip the buckets, if they have a foal by their side their is plenty of room for the foal to eat, they are cheap and last forever. Years ago I went to feed my weanlings and was greeted by the greediest one wearing her bucket around her neck, that was it, never again.

Comment

Use whole flax seed

If you add whole flax seed to the wet feed just before feeding, it turns to a slimy mucilaginous mess. Horses love it and it slips along beautifully.
                                    No more chokes or impaction colics.
                                    Don't use the ground version, use the whole seeds.

It will make a mess of the buckets, so they will need to be rinsed.
                                    Note to all DO NOT let wet flax dry in the bucket you'll never move those seeds again!!!

Don't ask me how I know this!
                                    MW
                                    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                                    Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                                    New edition of book is out:
                                    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Melyni View Post
                                      Note to all DO NOT let wet flax dry in the bucket you'll never move those seeds again!!!

Don't ask me how I know this!
                                      MW

Oh! Like Grape Nuts in your cereal bowl!!!! The only thing removing that stuff is nuclear holocaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                                        Oh! Like Grape Nuts in your cereal bowl!!!! The only thing removing that stuff is nuclear holocaust.
                                        You got it! Talk about adhesive powers! I wonder if we mixed oat bran with flax, wetted it and let them dry if that would be the stuck to the bowl/bucket from h*ll!
                                        MW
                                        Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                                        Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                                        New edition of book is out:
                                        Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X