• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse on stall rest, need help with hand walking!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse on stall rest, need help with hand walking!

nm
    Last edited by charliesangel; Nov. 8, 2010, 12:36 AM.

I would really talk to the vet about a long acting mild tranq. I don't think you are going to get the kind of results you are looking for with a feed through product.

The other thing you can do is to make your handwalks "work." Put a bridle on him, take a dressage whip with you, and possibly a chain shank. Make him walk with you properly, give him things to do (you can create patterns, walk over poles, etc to keep his attention) and get his brain focused on paying attention rather than being fresh.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Use a chain over his nose, and walk him inside the barn if possible. If you have an indoor arena, that might help.

Calm n Cool might help. It's a paste you can give them. You might also talk to your vet about a Reserpine shot. It lasts about 30-45 days. Personally, I would do that for long term stall rest/handwalking.

There are a bunch of stall toys you can do. Lik-its, hanging an empty gallon milk jug for him to play with, Jolly balls, toys you can put treats in that they have to roll to get the treat out. I'd also keep grass hay in front of him all of the time, and try to keep a horse beside him for company.

Comment

You've got a way to go and you will need some drugs to help you (er...your horse).

Your safety is paramount, and hand-walking a high TB can be dangerous. I am sure your family would far rather help you with the cost of some Ace each day for handwalking than visit you in the hospital! I've done tons of confinement layups, and always wind up using some sort of drugs --- Ace, fluphenazine, etc. These horses just aren't designed to live in a stall 24/7.

If a stud chain doesn't help, either use a bridle or find a "bumper" or "bonger" like they use at the track (it's an aluminum bosal --- they are hard to find but very effective). Walk him in an enclosed area for safety, using a long cotton lunge line (so you can hang onto him if he gets squirreley, but still stay away from him) and gloves AND a helmet and jump vest!

I'm handwalking a rehab horse now. I simply don't walk him if the planets are not in alignment at that moment, ie, windy, dogs running around, etc. Some days he gets out much more than others. Good luck! Get those drugs!!!

Comment

I had a gelding that sustained a shoulder fracture that had to be on stall rest for several months. I aced him AM and PM. It was not a big deal, it was not expensive, he actually *liked* his daily drugs (would come over and present his neck to me), he did not get sore, and it kept him sane enough to tolerate the rest. He would have likely not survived if I had not kept him drugged.

Reserpine and fluphenazine were not mentioned as possibilities when I was going through this--CSU said ace was my only option. So I aced him.

If the horse needs to be on stall rest to heal, acting like an idiot and getting free is not going to allow him to heal. Talk to your vet about what pharmaceuticals you need to get your horse through this.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
            I had a gelding that sustained a shoulder fracture that had to be on stall rest for several months. I aced him AM and PM. It was not a big deal, it was not expensive, he actually *liked* his daily drugs (would come over and present his neck to me), he did not get sore, and it kept him sane enough to tolerate the rest. He would have likely not survived if I had not kept him drugged.

Reserpine and fluphenazine were not mentioned as possibilities when I was going through this--CSU said ace was my only option. So I aced him.

If the horse needs to be on stall rest to heal, acting like an idiot and getting free is not going to allow him to heal. Talk to your vet about what pharmaceuticals you need to get your horse through this.
            Thanks for the advice, I will call my vet tomorrow. He has never gotten free or run away from me he just spooks and overreacts to everything and I calm him down and then he does it again a few minutes later, its like a neverending process. Is the oral Ace effective at all? Thanks!

Comment

Mine was fine for the first month (I would walk her all over outside, let her graze, continue walking - making sure she got the required 20 minutes 2 x a day) and then totally lost her mind. It was like hand walking a 1000 pound kite! I had to resort to walking her inside the barn, because even walking in the indoor was too much for me. I used Ace on a couple of occasions when she looked especially wild on my arrival. Good luck!
              She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

Don't take a chance on getting yourself hurt. Does the vet feel he can go into the paddock? That might make him more manageable.

Comment

I've not found oral ace at all useful for a horse that wants to explode. I have found it useful to take the edge off a horse that's a little high. You do have to use quite a bit more (I start with 4 cc), it takes longer to take effect and the effect is definitely not as strong as IM or IV administration.

Comment

You can also use injectable ACE orally. I had to handwalk a fit endurance horse for a month and the vet told me about giving the liquid Ace orally. I found that 1 cc worked for this small mare but you may need 3 cc's. You can use the same syringe that you use to remove the Ace from the bottle, just remove the needle and squirt into the mouth. I found that she would take it from my had after I put it into a treat. My horses love bread so I can squirt it onto a slice of bread which soaks it up and feed the bread.

chicamuxen

Comment

Reserpine comes in capsules that you can put on the feed. And yes, Ace can be used orally. You just have to give more (at least 3cc) and at least 30 minutes before you want to start walking. Reserpine is the go-to drug for long term stall rest, but it has a nasty side effect of causing diarrhea. Daily Ace won't hurt him a bit.
                      Laurie

Comment

It's not just to keep you safe, though that's important, but his jumping around and jigging and spooking isn't going to help his injuries heal, either. He'll heal faster if he stays calm, so in the long run that will be cheaper than having to extend his stall rest or have further surgery or vet treatment because he jumped around and wrenched something or fell down, etc...

Comment

You HAVE to protect yourself AND your horse from himself. He is not the same horse that you are used to. Don't think for a minute that he won't hurt you because he will. Horses are totally different animals on stall rest.

Many IM injections of ace are not a big deal. Having you head kicked in or having him reinjure himself is.

Ace is a very mild traqualizer and has NO lasting or long term effects. Reserpine however, changes gut motilitly and makes horses prone to colic.

Do yourself and your horse a favor and get over the whole I don't want to drug my horse mentality. You both need it right now especially if he is doing what you say he is. He will make more progress with his recovery if you just ace him every time you walk him.

Ace costs about $17 for a 100 ml bottle. Even if you give him 2 cc every walk thats 50 walks for $17. I bet your health insurance co-pay is more than $17.

Please take my advice, I give it in good faith and believe it's the best thing for you guys. I have rehabed many horses in my 30 yrs of working with them.

Good luck!

Comment

You say he has a paddock attached to his stall. Why not take him out there for his daily walk? That way if he gets loose he is confined and he also gets to know his neighbors etc in anticipation of his release from the stall.

Comment

I would imagine that during his time in a stall with no green grass he has gotten low on some of his vitamins and minerals. Perhaps he already was before if he wasn't getting a fortified grain and/or vitamin and mineral supplements. I highly recommend you put him on a good supplement that has a good deal of magnesium in it. They get really frazzled when they are magnesium deficient. The results at my place have been incredible...you might not need drugs.

Quiessence with magnesium and chromium seems to be pretty popular.
                              Altamont Sport Horses
                              Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
                              Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
                              Birmingham, AL

Comment

If you have the time you could try clicker training him in his stall. You can check out the website, clickertraining.com Clickers are only a few dollars (maybe $2) and you could teach him to touch targets for rewards. It is good mental exercise. I know people who have trained horses to move off their leg and load into trailers with clicker training. The other thing I would recommend is teaching your horse to put his head down on command. There are many ways you could do it. I usually apply pressure to their poll and gently rock their head left to right so they do not brace their neck. As soon as they lower their head, even a millimeter, I stop asking. Now, whenever I my horses start to get hot, I have them put their head down and keep it down. You can even have them walk around with their head down as far as they can put it. These ideas may help but please stay safe.

Comment

not everyone has access to this but. . .

When I had to had walk one who went nuts due to confinement (this was many years ago), there was a cowgirl at the barn who rode her husbands big old roping horse up to his stall and we handed my horse off to her to pony. the roping horse didn't take any cr@p from my horse and it worked well.
                                  I owe that woman a lot!
                                  xo
                                  A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Before I'd try tranquilizers I would put the horse on the supplement, Equinime, or a mixture of 2 parts calcium carbonate:1 part magnesium oxide (natural muscle relaxants).

The Equinime contains calcium and magnesium as well as a B-vitamin complex and some amino acids beneficial in getting a horse to chill out. You should see a change within 2 days to 2 weeks.
                                    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot!" ~person from another bulletin board whose name has been long forgotten~

Comment

I have a horse with a fractured knee on stall rest. I was giving him reserpine to walk him but like someone else mentioned it causes watery diahrea and that is just not worth it in my opinion. I found it slowed him down but not completly. Instead he was sorta dull and sleepy but still reactive. I have been walking him in the barn because it is the outside walking that causes him to become rank. The ace works the best in my opinion and it is very easy to give via shot or orally. Also, reasonable in price.
                                      http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

You can give the injectable reserpine orally, daily or every other day. Squirt it in alittle beet pulp in his meal works well on some horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X