Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can I feed beet pulp intermittently?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I feed beet pulp intermittently?

I'm headed down to the GMHA Fall Foliage Ride this weekend (whoo!). I have an older gelding with Cushings who hasn't been drinking as well as I'd like lately, and has never been a good drinker when traveling. I'll be adding in some electrolytes and obviously he'll have plenty of water available the whole time we're down there, but I'd like to think about adding in a soupy mash at lunchtime on the day of the ride to get a little more water in.

He has eaten beet pulp in the past, but it's been a while. Can I get some shredded, no-molasses beet pulp, leave that to soak while we're on the ride, and give it to him at lunch? Will that upset the system because he's not getting it regularly? I'm thinking about half an 8Q bucket, then filling it to the brim with water and letting that soak.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.com
    Bel Joeor Metier

I have intermittently fed soaked beet pulp for whatever reason (store was out of alfalfa pellets, horse needed a mash for medicine disguise, etc) and have never had gastric upset from it. But as always, I suppose this will depend on your horse.

Might I also suggest an ulcer preventative for the trip? My mare is a terrible drinker if I haul her somewhere and don't use a preventative. Can't hurt, might help.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

First, beet pulp does not need hours to soak. If the temperature at all warm it could spoil. I soak my non-molasses beet pulp maybe 10 minutes year round. The only difference is I use warm water in the winter.

Second, I would go ahead and offer the horse a few handfuls at home between now and when you leave to alert the intestinal flora of the addition.

I have no opinion on the amount to offer but BP is pretty safe stuff with a healthy horse. It has more hay like qualities than concentrate qualities but tooo much of any one new thing can create upset.

Enjoy the ride. Vermont must be beautiful this time of year!

Comment

Answer: Yes you can.

And if you buy the shreds, you can cut the soaking time. You don't have to soak beet pulp for hours. But the shreds are soaked sufficiently in 10 minutes or so.

Comment

We feed ours intermittently. Add a few pounds here or there, get some extra water in on hot days, give them a warm treat on cold days. It's not an every day thing and they love it.
          My herd for life:
          King: 21 year old Foxtrotter gelding
          Ruais: 8 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
          http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Comment

Originally posted by SLW View Post

Enjoy the ride. Vermont must be beautiful this time of year!
            It was 36* at my house this morning... It's beautiful... But cold!

Comment

• Original Poster

It is indeed beautiful up here - leaves are starting to turn quickly! So darned cold though. I was not ready for it to be so cold, so early. I must not be as far north as you, SuckerForHorses, because it's only been in the low 40s overnight the last few days. (Last week, though, into the 20s!)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I picked up a bag of beet pulp tonight and I'll start tomorrow night giving him a few handfuls soaked each day with the intention of giving him a full snack on Sunday. He had a bit of a colicky episode a week and a half ago due to the cold so I'm being extra careful right now.
              life + horses
              beljoeor.com
              Bel Joeor Metier

Comment

In the 20s and 30s already? Shit! Oh, oops, I mean, "Gosh!" We are coming up for either members' days in early October or the Fall Foliage Ride 2. I don't want it to be freezing yet. I was kind of hoping for 60s during the day and 40s at night. Y'all do something to hold back the winter, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by kerlin View Post
                  It is indeed beautiful up here - leaves are starting to turn quickly! So darned cold though. I was not ready for it to be so cold, so early. I must not be as far north as you, SuckerForHorses, because it's only been in the low 40s overnight the last few days. (Last week, though, into the 20s!).
                  I'm on the eastern side of Central Vermont

Originally posted by SharonA View Post
                  In the 20s and 30s already? Shit! Oh, oops, I mean, "Gosh!" We are coming up for either members' days in early October or the Fall Foliage Ride 2. I don't want it to be freezing yet. I was kind of hoping for 60s during the day and 40s at night. Y'all do something to hold back the winter, okay?
                  I'm riding in the Susan G. Komen Ride at GMHA on October 13th - I really hope we don't have snow!

Comment

Working...
                  X