Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"bad" mares: Can they be reformed? Are they real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"bad" mares: Can they be reformed? Are they real?

Why does people give so much credence to mares being heinous employees while in season?

Perhaps I have always had good mares, but I don't recall finding them unrideable while in season. I don't think I'm a fabulous trainer, but maybe I just delivered a "straighten up, now" message to a fussy mare that worked? I don't know.

In short, does it work when you establish a relationship with a mare that lets her know that she had better punch the damn time clock and do her job, in season or no?

Just wondering, as you'd think my long experience with horses would have answered this for me by now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Some mares are heinous employees when in season, same as people.

Some mares are wonderful partners. Others are devil incarnates. Same goes for geldings.

I've met both kinds, all kinds in the middle, and some so awful I wouldn't touch them with a 10foot pole. We had one mare dosed and drugged to high heaven in a barn I worked at because she was evil - and she was absolutely incurable.

But, in my experience, the bad eggs are few and far between. Most of it boils down to poor handling and spoiling them, and nothing is worse than a spoiled mare!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

A lot of people just don't understand mares, especially the Alpha ones. I like them. They are less forgiving, but when one develops the right relationship, based on respect and deserving leadership, it can be a very special relationship indeed. Those that don't understand how to get along with opinionated mares may be forced to learn once most of their friends are post-menopausal women who are no longer subjugated by their 'be nice and get along with everybody' hormones.
      Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

I'm with beowulf.

I also agree with Katy Watts. I think that mares in general are less okay (than geldings) with inconsistent handling and can turn into "bad horses" with a severity that's in direct relation to the amount of inconsistency in their handling.

Comment

I think too many people forget that when riding/handling a mare, you are dealing with an "entire" in the same way you are with a stallion. IOW, she has all her full range of endocrine faculties and how she interacts with humans and other horses is going to be filtered through that. As a result, she's far more tuned in to the "herd" hierarchy because more is at stake.

Mares want to understand WHAT and WHY. They also want a firm but benevolent leader--an "alpha mare." Give them that and they will kill and die for you (certain of our old polo ponies come to mind!) But they will NOT be forced, banged around, or made to work in perpetual discomfort in the ways geldings cave to far more commonly. I've never noticed much difference in/out of season.

ASK her; don't just TELL her until you know each other very well!

Comment

Also think some people forget that, for some mares, coming into season is much akin to that lady who always calls out a couple days during her own cycle because she's doubled over with cramps, headaches and generally feeling like shite.

It does happen to some women, and I believe it does happen to some mares. I took lessons on a mare who was amazing, but when she came into heat she was a raging b****. After many years of her being like this, her normal back ouchy-ness during hurt started to get more pronounced, and her owner had her ovaries u/s. A week later they removed two HUGE tumors, one from each ovary. Vet estimated tumors could have been growing for years.

This is obviously one example, and an extreme one, but I have known other mares who just, when they come into heat, REALLY come into heat.

FWIW, my mare, who is my first mare (always said I'd never own one), is a total peach when in heat. She's is annoying as hell to her herd mates pees everywhere and on everything and nickers to anything that moves, but she is a total love to deal with, a bit moreso than she is normally!

All horses are unique. Mares are no exception.
            Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. Remember that what you have now was once among the many things that you only hoped for.

Comment

My mares do fine when in season and the only concession I make is this: if they are in full blown season I will keep them off to the side or very back of the field- we fox hunt. I feel like I have a responsibility to not incite bad behavior with another horse if my mare is winking.

A few weeks ago I rode in a clinic and the instructor had her stallion in the arena with us to show us exercises. There were 9 mares and 2 geldings in the class and her stallion never once called out or dropped to get the mares attention. She said she rides stallions and geldings and only uses mares in her small breeding program. In her opinion mares require a much sharper rider because as LE mentioned above, you have full fertility factory underneath you.

Comment

I get that you need to treat a mare like a Sovereign Nation and I like that about them.

I guess my question about the nature/nurture causes of bad behavior while in season comes down to this:

If I built a fair relationship with a mare, would she sublimate her sex drive because I asked to her to, at least while under saddle?

If I had a reputation for fairness with the mare but she previously had been known as bad or incorrigible while in season, would a CTJ meeting be in order? Or can a mare not be convinced by Jesus (or his agents) to just Man Up while she is in season?

The point about the mare in pain and tumors is well taken. I wonder how common this is.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I've seen plenty of geldings that were annoying, sensitive and spoiled. No excuse for them.

My mares (and I've had dozens of them) have all been total sweetie pies and I prefer them. The two I have now are the sweetest animals on the planet. They can be rude and mean to each other when in heat, but when I get there they know it's time to work and that's that. No difference in riding behavior, maybe an extra whinny or hard stare across the field, that's it.

My redheaded gelding, OTOH, is a total PITA. Hates being brushed, hates certain saddle pads, hates my leg if it's not in just the right place - and no hormonal excuses.

I have one mare that will tease to my husband. It's actually really funny and quite cute. She will trot behind him, rubbing on him, smack her lips and stop to pee. Wish I had it on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                    I guess my question about the nature/nurture causes of bad behavior while in season comes down to this:

If I built a fair relationship with a mare, would she sublimate her sex drive because I asked to her to, at least while under saddle?

If I had a reputation for fairness with the mare but she previously had been known as bad or incorrigible while in season, would a CTJ meeting be in order? Or can a mare not be convinced by Jesus (or his agents) to just Man Up while she is in season?
                    These are all really fascinating questions.

My best answer (which is really a guess, since I have never personally dealt with such a mare, but have seen them successfully dealt with by professionals) is that yes, you can get such a mare to the point where YOU become her singular focus when she is with you, and that that dedication overrides every and all other earthly calling. This is under the very significant subtext that you have, as you said, built a fair and understanding relationship with the mare, that she knows you will address something if it is bothering her (and do so immediately, versus pushing her on through it or waiting until she blows up to notice the something to begin with) and that she is not in any pain whatsoever.

I think the bit in parentheses is a huge part of why so many people, with mares and geldings alike, struggle with their horses. I think, to deal successfully with these types of mares, you need to be quite a bit more skilled than your average horse person to get the kind of result you are discussing in your third question. Mares like that tend to also have more aggressive personalities on the whole, and many of them just really don't believe you're for real, even if they hear what you're saying.
                    Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. Remember that what you have now was once among the many things that you only hoped for.

Comment

Highly unlikely. She's still a slave to the 4 F's. Fighting, Fleeing, Feeding, and Reproduction. If she is not doing any of those, then she will be a willing partner. No matter how fantastic of a rider you are, you can't overcome evolutionary biology.

A CTJ won't work. Imagine the last time you were in pain and struggling along doing the best you could possibly with AGONIZING cramps from your period and someone hauls off and yells at you and wants an all out CTJ because your best on that day isn't enough. You can't expect a mare who is going to be in the height of her sexual maturity to always be a willing partner. The more you tell her to "man up" the more she'll lose it.

The point about the mare in pain and tumors is well taken. I wonder how common this is.
                      Being in pain during their cycles isn't uncommon, I often notice discomfort on the side that the mare is ovulating on and have even known mares to look slightly off behind as they become so unwilling to step up from behind. Not to mention mares that have been bred can have cysts in their uterus that are terribly painful and can cause them to be wildly unpredictable.

From what I'm hearing from you, you sound like you want a gelding in mare form.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbie.S View Post
                        Mares like that tend to also have more aggressive personalities on the whole, and many of them just really don't believe you're for real, even if they hear what you're saying.
                        Interesting. I'd make this statement differently, not using geldings as a baseline.

So a gelding has been relieved of his balls and all of the DNA-spreading ambition they added to his personality. Geldings are live-in-the-moment hedonists. They want to get through the day and feel good if they can.

A mare still has here "genetic/keep the foal alive" imperative inside her in the form of ovaries. And really, does this come from the estrogen they release? Also, insofar as mares in nature make the executive decisions for a heard, I believe there was a strong selective pressure for intelligence, autonomy and foresight in mares. Were her only job to keep her baby alive or attract a male, the female horse might have been selected for a different mind. Instead, horses' natural history and the mare's place in it rewarded a very "adult" kind of psychology.

Insofar as the stallion's job is primarily to service mares and keep other colts out of his herd, surviving male horses were rewarded (with more surviving offspring) for a different mentality. For stallions, I think you must consider him to be willing to get into challenges with other horses, but smart enough not to waste his energy on battles he cannot win. He must read other horses (especially the ladies) and also be willing to risk his body in acts of love and war.

I think, then, that a gelding-type "roll with it" personality is the most artificial of the three.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by yourcolorfuladdiction View Post
                          Highly unlikely. She's still a slave to the 4 F's. Fighting, Fleeing, Feeding, and Reproduction. If she is not doing any of those, then she will be a willing partner. No matter how fantastic of a rider you are, you can't overcome evolutionary biology.

A CTJ won't work. Imagine the last time you were in pain and struggling along doing the best you could possibly with AGONIZING cramps from your period and someone hauls off and yells at you and wants an all out CTJ because your best on that day isn't enough. You can't expect a mare who is going to be in the height of her sexual maturity to always be a willing partner. The more you tell her to "man up" the more she'll lose it.

Being in pain during their cycles isn't uncommon, I often notice discomfort on the side that the mare is ovulating on and have even known mares to look slightly off behind as they become so unwilling to step up from behind. Not to mention mares that have been bred can have cysts in their uterus that are terribly painful and can cause them to be wildly unpredictable.

Hold up! I don't want a gelding in mare form. See above where I said that I liked the adultness of mares. I agree, as I also said, that any question I had about teaching a mare to do her damn job while in season assumes she's not in pain. Surely you shouldn't be asking an animal to sublimate pain (though we do).

But I do want to know how much mares' "breaking the rules" during ovulation has to do with the way she is handled and ridden. This is the horse version of the question that we used to have about women and jobs or being president. You all remember the joke about a female prez declaring nuclear war because she was PMSing. No one now would think that was funny or acceptable. And I wasn't of any kind of generation or job where I got days off because of my period. If our species changed its ideas (and yes, some women really do have lots of pain or feel emotions more strongly), are there some horsemen who treat their mares like plain ol' working geldings and get performance from them, ovulation or no?
                          The armchair saddler
                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I've owned a number of mares. All of them have been "sweeter" when in season. More like, "Oh, OK" vs "Oh, really?" Of course, the healthy hussies are messy during this time.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people reporting bad behavior in mares when cycling. Not to say some mares don't experience pain during ovulation but IME, that would be rare. In addition, it is incorrect to correlate a mare in season with a women menstruating. A human female is not ovulating during menstruation.

I have run into a couple of dangerous mares over the years but they were dangerous all of the time. There are plenty of dangerous geldings around too. Temperament, like conformation, is inherited.

Comment

Originally posted by SLW View Post
                              ... She said she rides stallions and geldings and only uses mares in her small breeding program. In her opinion mares require a much sharper rider because as LE mentioned above, you have full fertility factory underneath you.
                              And you don't with a stallion???

Comment

I get that you need to treat a mare like a Sovereign Nation and I like that about them.

I too like mares and the fact that you can't demand that they comply, or in the words of a trainer I once heard 'you train geldings and you modify mares.' I have a wonderful mare who when she is in season is distracted totally by her hormones. She has Donna Summer playing in her head and is NOT focused on her job. I've learned that I need to work a little harder to get and keep her attention when she's in heat, and somedays I'm not going to have her full attention. She's definitely the alpha mare in our herd, and I treat her with the respect she deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by yourcolorfuladdiction View Post

THIS^. My mare will occasionally have "a Day." It has no correlation with her heat cycle far as I can tell. But once in a blue moon she'll just be twitchy, reactive, humpy, mentally scatty, like she's saying "Don't TOUCH me, you are ONE more stimulus than I can handle today!!!" If you escalate and get strong, as your first impulse might be you will get LAUNCHED. You will not win that way.
                                  With a gelding, you would stuff him along and get on with it.

What I do is remain firmly but lightly in control, doubling her a few times if need be, and then give her the opportunity to do something easy; let's start with going forward on a long rein as soon as she obeys. Then we do easy things, jollying her through her Eeeek! day as gently as it takes and as soon as she once again achieves relaxation, put her away.

The next day she'll be a sweet peach again . . . Go figure!

Comment

I mainly deal with mare in my riding. I prefer them. Usually the cycles really aren't a problem the young ones my call a bit more hen in heat but nothing unusual. However I did have one pony mare that was unridable when she was in heat. She would get behind your leg so you felt like you were right behind her ears. She would spin, kick protest etc. She was as calm as could be the weeks she wasn't in heat and a great ride.

I figured it was like this. There are women out there whose cramps are mild and it's no big deal. Others need mega-doses of ibuprofen to even function minimally. It's just the way mother nature doled out the symptoms. In college if I didn't work I didn't eat and I have 3 days a month where I couldn't do either even with Tylenol 3. Is it really fair to expect a woman who is throwing up for the first three days of her period to perform the same as a woman who just notices a minor twinge and moodiness?

I think the same is true for horses. Some just feel it more to the point they can't just buck it up and get on with the job.
                                    "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

Comment

I have only owned 2 mares--so I am no expert on this subject--but have some experiences to share on this!

My first mare (who I still have and she is 20) is extremely sweet (all the time) with a great work ethic. When she is in heat--she is ridiculous in the pasture over the fence with the boys. But under saddle--she is very focused and shows no sign of pain when she is in heat. She is not the alpha mare--but has a quiet yet confident personality. She is the one that convinced me to get another mare . . . . . ugh.

Mare #2 was a bit of a puzzle. She was aggressive in the pasture--and did have good days and "WTF"? days when being ridden. Extremely girthy, sometimes grumpy about being groomed. At one point--we thought it might be related to her heat cycles and did a repro exam. We did find one overactive ovary (in the dead of winter) but no signs of tumors, etc. Anyway--long story short--it ended up that she had an old injury of her SI that never healed correctly. The vet that diagnosed her injury did explain that during a mares heat cycle, there is increased inflamation in the SI area which can aggravate that injury further.

Now that we have resolved her long-standing injury--she is a MUCH more pleasant mare. She loves wither and back scratches (grooms me too!). Completely digs her massages (she used to be one of the "difficult" customers for the massage person!) No more girthiness. Her agressiveness in the pasture has toned down a LOT. So, I believe a lot of her attitude was related to some chronic pain. She is definitely more alpha than my older mare--but the grumpiness and inconsistency under saddle are not an issue now that she is not injured.

Comment

My impression is that the majority of behaviors that get attributed to "in season" hormones are either non-repro pain issues (see slp2's example above of the SI injury) or general training/behavioral issues that owners prefer to sweep under the "marishness" rug rather than confront. Sometimes I wonder, too, whether some owners don't create the naughtiness they chalk up to estrus, by giving a good eyeroll and sighing "what a mare" instead of correcting bad behavior when it starts.

That's not to say that mares don't behave differently at different stages of their estrus cycle. I've just found that in a healthy, well-trained horse it's nothing that can't be worked through by being sensitive and fair, but firm. Part of being fair for me is accepting that occasionally my mare may be a little tighter in her back or more distracted than usual, and I have to make of it what I can without overtraining to compensate. If one ride every few weeks falls a bit short of what I know she can do, it's not the end of the world. Heaven knows I'm not always 100% consistent either! I'd do the same if I were on a gelding that was having an off day -- part of the appeal of equestrianism is that it involves a dialogue between two individuals.

Comment

Working...
                                        X