• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE - NOT LYME "Testing" for lyme vs. "winter grumps" by giving bute?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE - NOT LYME "Testing" for lyme vs. "winter grumps" by giving bute?

Update 1/2/09 - Just got the Lyme titer results back and it's not Lyme - the vet said on the message "One to one-sixty" (I'm not sure what the numbers mean really)

I've had Peppy on Ranitidine & Aloe Juice since Dec 12th and have noticed about a 50% improvement in behavior (no longer trying to bite, just puts ears back during grooming/tacking up). I'm going to take him off the Ranitidine now to see if he turns into a monster again.

My saddle fits him well (custom flocked), so I don't know what else it would be besides wintery grumps.

At least it's not Lyme!

I'm wondering if anyone has "tested" for Lyme by giving bute to your horse to see if it makes any difference in their symptoms? Not to replace a blood test by the vet, but to confirm whether you should have the vet out to do the test - To differentiate between the symptoms being cause by pain (Lyme) or just the winter grumpies that a couple of horses at my barn get?

Background: I've owned my 4 year old Appendix gelding since this past June. He was in Texas (his whole life) and is now in Connecticut with me. About a month ago (when it got cold) he started getting grumpy when I start grooming him and tacking him up. He will put his ears back and try to bite me. He does this when I rub his neck, brush him, put the saddle on his back, put the girth on, pick up a hoof, hook his blankets at his chest, pet his face, walk in front of his face... when I ride he is fine. No lameness, no other symptoms... after I ride he is not as grumpy. Maybe one ear back/bite attempt afterwards vs. when I'm grooming and tacking up he does it a lot.

He has a custom saddle, fitted twice in the last couple of months by a very good saddle fitter. Had a chiro visit a couple months ago... (not because of this, but because of my ill-fitting old saddle, i wanted to make sure nothing was out of whack from it)... teeth floated in July or August... I tried the "rolaids/tums" test for a couple of days thinking maybe ulcers, no change in his mood. Eats great, finishes food, is in a perfectly happy mood ALL the time EXCEPT for when I'm grooming and tacking up (and after-ride brushing and untacking somewhat). He eats dinner after I ride him, is turned out until I get there in the evening after work.

One of my trainer's horses who she has owned for years and years gets grumpy in the winter like this, another horse at the barn also has the winter grumps (they went through testing for everything under the sun and found absolutely nothing, this horse is fine in the summer, then once the cold hits she is grumpy). I'm wondering if he has the winter grumps, if it's Lyme, or if he just hates me and is a grump when I show up. Sooo I'm wondering if I gave him bute, and he didn't show improvement, I could assume it's not from pain? And if he does show improvement, I could assume it's from pain? If he did improve with bute I would have the vet out to test for Lyme (and if that came back negative then go from there with tests) I don't know, I'm just guessing... so looking for some opinions!

Sorry this is so long, just trying to give all the info.
    Last edited by LDavis104; Jan. 2, 2009, 10:55 AM.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

My thought is that a Lyme titer runs about $100 plus the vet call. In the grand scheme of things, that's not that much (not like scoping for ulcers, which can be quite pricey) to have an actual answer. (Though you can be really lucky and have one that comes back equivocal and STILL not have an answer... )

All the bute tells you is that it's pain-related - could be Lyme, could be arthritis, could be something totally different. And if it IS ulcers, bute's just going to make it worse.

I tend to think that winter "grumpiness" IS pain related - it's just often/usually more along the arthritis/scar tissue lines. *I* hurt more in the winter, and you can bet if you tried to groom and saddle me I'd be a bit cranky. (Heck, I was getting cranky just sitting in my chair in the office today! )

If you feel like there's a problem, get a vet to check it out.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Originally posted by Kementari View Post

All the bute tells you is that it's pain-related - could be Lyme, could be arthritis, could be something totally different. And if it IS ulcers, bute's just going to make it worse.

:
      That hit the nail on the head. You're not going to know WHAT it is, only that it's pain related. and if it is ulcers, ouch. What makes you think Lyme?
      and how much rolaids/tums did you give? I think giving GastroGuard or something similar would be more effective to find out if it's ulcers.
      Did you see this last year?

Comment

My 5 year old TB is SUPER grumpy. Nippy, swishy, stompy whilst grooming, inside-out and wretched whilst riding. Not to mention spooky and LEAPING like a bronc. These characteristics are new/hugely exaggerated for him. Usually he is soft and laid back. I'm going to have a lyme titre drawn next week. I'm also suspecting ulcers but why now, when he's barely working, is out all day, etc.
        I'd skip the bute, for the reasons mentioned above.
        Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by murphyluv View Post
          That hit the nail on the head. You're not going to know WHAT it is, only that it's pain related. and if it is ulcers, ouch. What makes you think Lyme?
          and how much rolaids/tums did you give? I think giving GastroGuard or something similar would be more effective to find out if it's ulcers.
          Did you see this last year?
          I've only owned him since June so I didn't get to see him last winter, but he was owned by my father in law who did not see any grumpy symptoms, BUT he was also in Texas, not Connecticut where it is much colder and Lyme central.

The reason I suspect Lyme is that I'm in CT, where it seems like every horse has Lyme.

I gave 10 rolaids for the test the first time, 12 the second time. If he did have ulcers, wouldn't he show some other symptoms like not finishing feed or something along those lines?

If I did ulcerguard or something like that, how much until I would see a difference (if it were ulcers)?

What gets me is that he is fine outside... in his stall... in the indoor, etc... only is grumpy in the barn aisle or wash stall (but that's where I groom him and tack him up).

Comment

I was under the impression Lyme would *not* respond to NSAIDS, that's why one would give it.. because if symptoms/ soreness was attributable to arthritis, injury, etc. you'd see an improvement. If not, then Lyme is the suspect.

Since your horse isn't lame per se, I'm not sure the bute would be very helpful anyway. Plus, if you're already suspecting mild ulcers/ stomach issues, the bute definitely WOULD make that condition worse. IMHO, best to pull blood for lyme titer/ western blot/ elisa.

Also, if you suspect ulcers, quit froggin' around with Rolaids. Get the vet to give you a bottole of Ranitidine. Use it for a month. If you notice the horse is less irritable, calmer, you're onto something.

My horse exhibited very mild ulcer symptoms, scoped him and all they found was 'mildly denuded epithilium', and put him on Ranitidine. It helped.. in just 2 weeks my horse was a much nicer guy to be around & ride..

Comment

Hey LDavis! I heard about your new horse from LookinSouth, and I'm glad it seems to be working out well... aside from the grumpiness, that is

You could try UlcerGard, but you'd need to use it for a few days before seeing a difference, especially on a horse with such relatively mild symptoms, and it's expensive -- depending on the vet, 3-4 days of Ulcergard would equal getting a Lyme titre pulled. With Lyme, it's just better to test than wait for new symptoms to show up. My mare's only symptom at the moment is appearing as a stifle injury. I've never seen Lyme show up so specific (usually shows as polyarthritic, so off and on lameness of many joints). She has no other symptoms, other than an increased grumpiness. We pulled a titre, and it's the highest my NY vet has ever seen (I misquoted 450 or so to LookinSouth the other day, but my vet told me this a.m. it was closer to 500). When she was treated a few years ago down near you in CT (this is the same mare I think you saw once over at LookinSouth's), Dr. Anderson at Salem Valley said she had the highest titre he had ever seen. Her only symptom then was grumpiness. I also treated my gelding when we lived there, although he had a number of typical symptoms - including grumpiness and relative disinterest in everything. Anyhow, my point is that as you know, that area is a hotbed for Lyme disease. I think almost every horse I knew down there was treated for Lyme at some point. You're going to go through more money playing around to figure out what it is then you will to just have the titre pulled and know for certain.

Good luck!
              Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Comment

It seems like alot of horses have come down with Lyme this year. I just finished treating South last month, my landlords horse is currently being treated, now veebug22's mare has it, poor peppy sounds as though he is a likely candidate and I recently heard from Zachary's mom that HE has the telltale symptoms as well and is getting tested on Thur. Dealing with lyme is definitely one of the downsides of living in this region, although I think it is becoming more widespread in recent years too.

I think just going for the lyme test is your best bet at this point as well. Be sure to get the WB and the ELISA titre, rather than just the ELISA titre since the Western Blot actually indicates whether an active infection is present. Some vets will only offer the titre if you don't request the WB. It will be a bit more money for both but it is a more conclusive test.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to do a Lyme test.

My OTTB is a little grumpy in the winter. Just doesn't look as happy and will randomly pin his ears...or he gets a bit lazy when riding. He's fine once he is warm.

I saw this last winter and had him tested for every thing on god's green earth.

We couldn't find a dang thing wrong. He was very healthy and we settled on him being a winter grump. Even though he stays warm and is very hairy he does not like the cold.

When a 50° day comes along I can even notice a difference in his attitude then. But whenever it goes to 30° or below for a few days he gets a little depressed and grumpy. Once spring hits he's good as new lol.

Comment

• Original Poster

*waving to Veebug22 and LookinSouth*

I'm going to go ahead and get Peppy tested for Lyme. There's a boarder mare out there who we're also suspecting Lyme in, so at least we can share the trailering cost or farm call fee.

I've had him on Ranitidine since Friday to "test" for ulcers, and he has been *slightly* better the last couple of days but definitely still grumpy. Could also be the ups/downs of Lyme, who knows. But apparently if what's going on makes no sense at all, it's very possibly Lyme!

Comment

Agreed.

From personal experience, I can tell you that if you suspect Lyme, please do not adopt a "wait and see" approach or try medication. It's a tricky disease and needs to be nipped in the bud before it causes real damage.

I know the test is a bit expensive (I think I paid 80$) but it's very much worth it.

Good luck. I hope the horse is ok.

Originally posted by Kementari View Post
                      My thought is that a Lyme titer runs about $100 plus the vet call. In the grand scheme of things, that's not that much (not like scoping for ulcers, which can be quite pricey) to have an actual answer. (Though you can be really lucky and have one that comes back equivocal and STILL not have an answer... )

I tend to think that winter "grumpiness" IS pain related - it's just often/usually more along the arthritis/scar tissue lines. *I* hurt more in the winter, and you can bet if you tried to groom and saddle me I'd be a bit cranky. (Heck, I was getting cranky just sitting in my chair in the office today! )

If you feel like there's a problem, get a vet to check it out.
                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Update in original post - it's not Lyme

Comment

OK, you "know" it is not Lyme.
                          What does the vet think the other possibilities are?

For suspected ulcers, my vet tests by giving sucralfate. For a variety of reasons, it isn't a long term treatment. But for a short term diagnostic, it works pretty well. Two days after we started the sucralfate, Belle's attitude turned around 180 degrees.
                          Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by LDavis104 View Post
                            Update in original post - it's not Lyme
                            Just curious if your vet ran a Western Blot AND an ELISA and were other tick borne illnesses tested for? False negatives are not uncommon (less so in equines than humans) but they do exist. Conformation of other tick borne illnesses combined with Lyme symptoms would be enough for your vet to make a clinical diagnosis of LD and begin treatment. From my personal experience with LD, most vets (and doctors) are not up to speed on it.....
                            Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                            http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by theoldgreymare View Post
                              Just curious if your vet ran a Western Blot AND an ELISA and were other tick borne illnesses tested for? False negatives are not uncommon (less so in equines than humans) but they do exist. Conformation of other tick borne illnesses combined with Lyme symptoms would be enough for your vet to make a clinical diagnosis of LD and begin treatment. From my personal experience with LD, most vets (and doctors) are not up to speed on it.....
                              No, just the titer was run...

Comment

Working...
                              X