• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Daily requirement for Lysine and Vitamin E?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily requirement for Lysine and Vitamin E?

I've been searching the threads for a long while now and can't really find what I need.

Does anyone know off the top of their head, the daily amount of Lysine and Vitamin E a horse needs? Just maintenance, no work.

According to the book I just got "Feeding Your Horse For Life" Here is what it says about Lysine and Vit E

Lysine: Enhances growth and nitrogen balance. Promotes bone growth in foals, and stimulates gastric juices. This particular amino acid is often called the "first limiting" amino-acid - meaning that if your hourse doesn't get enought of it, he won't be able to use any of the other's either. Horse feeds shoujld contain a minimum of 0.65 percent lysine (dry matter).

Because Lysine and methionine are so important they are frequently added to horse feed.

It is one of the 22 amino acids needed by horses, and is one of the essential ones.

Vitamin E does not have an established minimum at this time, but the National Research Council recommends 50 IU/kg and 100 IU/kg for performance horses and pregnant or lactating mares. This level however, may be much too low. Some experts recommend a much, much higher level for equine atheletes - up to 2000 IU of vit E per pound. It is not possible to overdoes Vit E, but if you have selenium in the supplement, it could be an issue. So, some conservative nutritionists recommend that horses receive no more than 1000 IU/kg in the diet.

Hope this helps.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

• Original Poster

That helps tremendously (and I REALLY need to get a nutrition book!!) Thank you so much

Comment

The amount of lysine depends on the horse's age, weight, and amount of work. The average 1100lb horse in light-moderate work needs about 33gm

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I figured that much Actually, when I went looking on Smartpak's site it gave more info. None of my horses are 1100 lbs. One is a bit over a thousand, everyone else is 900 and lower. Nobody is ridden. Idle through the winter. Light training in the spring on a few.

Comment

I give my horse the Pure Lysine by Vitaflex that I get thru Smartpak and it it says 4 scoops, but I can't rmember how much that comes out to. I know I did a custom amount as I wanted more than the maintenance dose they have, that was after reading the info on the importance of it. If you go to their web site and go to the Pure Lysine you can read about the importance of it. Just a sidenote, my trainer after reading an article about it in the November issue of "the horse journal" put her horses on it and found the soreness that her young horse was having in his back disappeared in the first week and she noticed a change in the muscle development as well. Pretty amazing. I have my guy on Accel Lifetime so I am also supplementing him with vitamin E and Se. He gets no grain so this is why I supplement him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FillyMe View Post
              I give my horse the Pure Lysine by Vitaflex that I get thru Smartpak and it it says 4 scoops, but I can't rmember how much that comes out to. I know I did a custom amount as I wanted more than the maintenance dose they have, that was after reading the info on the importance of it. If you go to their web site and go to the Pure Lysine you can read about the importance of it. Just a sidenote, my trainer after reading an article about it in the November issue of "the horse journal" put her horses on it and found the soreness that her young horse was having in his back disappeared in the first week and she noticed a change in the muscle development as well. Pretty amazing. I have my guy on Accel Lifetime so I am also supplementing him with vitamin E and Se. He gets no grain so this is why I supplement him.
              All good stuff to know! I have my gang on Beet Pulp and a Vitamin/Mineral supplement but it doesn't have a whole lot of Lysine in it. I think it has 325 mg. if I recall correctly. I just switched them to this feeding program after being on an RB for a while. The horses are on mostly pasture but right now it's slim pickings and they are on grass hay. I saw that Lysine supp on Smartpak (and their right up on it) and it's cheap enough to try. I wouldn't give them a ton since they aren't in work right now, but I figure it might not hurt. Thank you for the info!

Comment

too much se?

What are the effects of too much se, i saw it just above? Mine is on Vit E/se supplement and i feed twice the recommended amount b/c my horse gets oats and a protein supplement,so this vit e/se is his only source, and since i started his muscles tone has improved 100%. Just wanting to see what the excess was?
                Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Hill View Post
                  What are the effects of too much se,
                  Interestingly enough, many of the same symptoms as too little - mane/tail falling out, hooves cracking at the coronary band, to name a few. Both can also cause muscle issues.

i saw it just above? Mine is on Vit E/se supplement and i feed twice the recommended amount b/c my horse gets oats and a protein supplement,so this vit e/se is his only source, and since i started his muscles tone has improved 100%. Just wanting to see what the excess was?
                  The e/se isn't his only source. Hay and grass have both. But, if you're in an area that is se-deficient, not a lot. So, if you have seen muscle improvement since starting, you can be pretty sure he was deficient before. Since you are supp'ing, it would be a good time to draw blood to check his level. Then you'll have some baseline for later if you think you might need to add more.

Comment

thanks for the info. i know our area is deficient in grass/hay. The muscle tone he has developed since adding vit e/se and protein supp has been unbelievable. After over a year of training and muscle building i could still see his spine over his croup area, now he has quite a nice topline...no hair falling out or cracked hooves so I am probably at a good level, but I think drawing his levels would satisfy me as this is the first time he has not been on a complete feed, just oats with different supplements. I was thinking of adding the lysine too....

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

Comment

From "Feeding Your Horse For Life":

"Selenium has the lowest toxicity leveo of any mineral critical in equine nutrition, and selenium tocixity is much more common than deficiency. . . . The minimu lethal dose of selenium is about 150 to 200 mg/kg (70 to 90 mg/lb) in the diet. This may sound like a lot, but selenium is actually quite a bit more toxic to horse than to cattle or pigs. In fact, selenium tocixyt to equines has occured with dietary selenium levels of only 5 to 40 mg/kg (2 to 8 mg/lb)."

There are no limits/effects to overdosing Vit E alone, but the book did say that: "very large doses of vitamin E may induce blood coagulation problems by interfering with vitamin K. It could theoretically interfere with the absorbtion of some other fat-soluble vitamins. For this reason some conservative equine nutritionist recomment that horses receive no more than 1000IU/kg in the diet."

It didn't say anything about too much lysine.
                      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I am doing 64mg/lb/day. comes as 32mg/lb scoop. so 2 scoops/day

Comment

or maybe i am figuring that wrong. I am looking at the product info on line and if its says it provides 32g se per pound, i suppose that would be per the scoop provided? i have been giving him the same dose for 3 or 4 months so i assume if he was getting too much i would know it by now, or does it work like a build up over time?

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
                            From "Feeding Your Horse For Life":

"The minimu lethal dose of selenium is about 150 to 200 mg/kg (70 to 90 mg/lb) "

unless the kg/lb are backwards, because 1kg=2.2lbs, i think it would be more like 300-400mg/lb as an overdose with the conversion. hmmm if that is right then he is safe, but way low safe i guess. i hate these things

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Hill View Post
                              or maybe i am figuring that wrong. I am looking at the product info on line and if its says it provides 32g se per pound, i suppose that would be per the scoop provided?
                              32 GRAMS per pound? I doubt that. 1oz of that would be 2gm/ounce. Supplementation of that had BETTER be in units of milligrams

i have been giving him the same dose for 3 or 4 months so i assume if he was getting too much i would know it by now, or does it work like a build up over time?
                              If you're od'ing in small amounts, it can take a while to build up. If a horse eats a se-hoarding plant, toxicity can show up very very quickly. Some horses do well on a rotation of se supplementation, some need doses every day.

The generally safe amount is .3ppm of the *entire* diet.

Comment

Effects of Selenium Toxicity:
                                • Stiffness
                                • Patchy Sweating
                                • Head Pressing
                                • Anemia
                                • Enlargement of liver, heart and kidney
                                • Abnormal hoof growth or hoof sloughing
                                • Dark liquid stools
                                • Blind staggers (alkali disease)
                                • Decreased appetite and listlessness
                                • Dyspnea (no idea what this is?)
                                • Rought coat and hair loss from mane and tail
                                Here's some more information from the internet:

http://www.horsetech.com/selenium.htm

http://www.myequinenetwork.com/LinkC...bid=87&mid=534

The other thing that you have to factor in is the amount of selenium in your hay, pasture, etc, you can't think that the supplement is the only source.

Comment

yea, definately whoops, 32mg/lb! ha i would probably have a dead horse on my hands at 32g!! I didn't mean the supplement was the only source, we are just very deficient in this area in the grass and hay and i do not feed him a complete feed. That was confusing...sorry. This is the first time i have not fed a complete feed and am supplementing the vitamins but was advised to add vit e/sel as we are deficient in the area and given his poor muscle tone at the time. Thanks for posting the symptoms of overdose! I think the best route would be to check his levels, but if i kept him on the supplement if i should do that routinely? Probably doing 32mg/lb as it comes would be efficient now as maintenance now that he is no longer deficient. im new to this board...good advice to be found!

Comment

I saw after the fact that you're in SC -yes, deficient. Now would be a good time to check his level, since he's been supp'd for 3+ months. One of the very first things you'd see from a chronic overdose is cracking at the coronet band, so likely you're just fine. You could check again in 3-6 months, and if things are still fine, maybe once a year or so.

If it makes you feel better, between the 4gm of Se specifically (e/se product) and the 1-ish gm in the vit/min supp, I was giving 5mg/day to my WB gelding and he was barely in the middle range.

Comment

yea SC crap soil..... Yea i don't have any of those symptoms. My guy is a little over 1200lbs so would likely need a little more than recommended on label as those mostly go for 1000-1100lbs. This diet thing is tricky when you do it the natural way!

Comment

So i definately checked the container of my vit e/sel and each scoop is an ounce, which contains 2mg/ounce!!! so he is getting 4 mg/day! think im safe thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                                        X