• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anyone ever seen this or dealt with it before... Owners post 22...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has anyone ever seen this or dealt with it before... Owners post 22...

    I am posting this for my very busy trainer... Her horse back in June did something to her tendon, and per vet recommendations she poltice and cold hosed and wrapped. After about a month and a half and she was still not better she ended up getting it started out as a quarter size sore on the front of her cannon bone (You can see in the photo where it started the hair is now white above the black sore or whatever it is) The vet came out again and said that it looked like a irritation and to stop polticing but to continue to wrap because if she didn't get wrapped her leg would blow up... So still now today that sore is there just moved down as you can see in the pictures and if we leave a wrap off of her, her leg blows up. She is 100% sound on the leg and vet said on Monday might be a infection and may need to cut and drain. Let us know if you have ever seen this, also as you can see in the picture the tendon is still a little swollen. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts on this we have had a number of VERY good vets out to look at her and we are all stumped.

    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0235.jpg

    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0236.jpg

    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0237.jpg

    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0238.jpg

    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0239.jpg
    Last edited by bhebert19; Dec. 5, 2008, 07:45 PM.

  • #2
    It looks like it's the extensor tendon that's involved. What exactly did the vet diagnose? That tendon can rupture without the skin ever breaking. The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.

    If indeed the tendon did rupture (which does not have to make the horse lame), then the lymphatic system could have also become compromised, and that can lead to the swelling when leaving the wrap off. The way around that is to wean off the wrap as slowly as necessary. For my horse, that started at literally 30 minutes twice a day.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      I am not sure what the vet actually said. He is coming back I believe again tomorrow and I am hoping my trainer will find time to jump on here and she can explain it better. I know from the mares past when she was still owned by her breeder did have a surgery done on the check ligament on that leg because she grew to fast and has a little bit of a club foot. She was originally lame when it first happened but since then she has been sound. Also the sore is not a scab as it looks kind of in the picture looks more like a blood blister almost.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think we'd really need to know all the information to speculate on this one:

        Does it ooze anything?

        Have they had it biopsied? To see possibly if it's cancerous, or granular flesh.....

        There's more white on the leg then just above the wound, is that all from the initial injury?

        Have any cultures been done?

        Ulrtasound?

        X-rays?

        What was the nature of the original injury... was there an open wound at that time? Of so how large was it?

        Have antibiotics been given, if so then which one(s) and for how long, and what was the response?

        What type of poltice was used on the leg.

        What has the horses temperature been throughout this issue.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JB View Post
          The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.
          Thats interesting.... Could you explain more about this as I've never seen a bandage do that.

          Do you think possibly a bandage somehow has cut off circulation and caused some flesh to nacrotize?

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Originally posted by Percheron X View Post
            I think we'd really need to know all the information to speculate on this one:

            Does it ooze anything?

            Have they had it biopsied? To see possibly if it's cancerous, or granular flesh.....

            There's more white on the leg then just above the wound, is that all from the initial injury?

            Have any cultures been done?

            Ulrtasound?

            X-rays?

            What was the nature of the original injury... was there an open wound at that time? Of so how large was it?

            Have antibiotics been given, if so then which one(s) and for how long, and what was the response?

            What type of poltice was used on the leg.

            What has the horses temperature been throughout this issue.
            I am going to try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, as its not my mare and I don't know all the details.. I am hoping my trainer will jump on tomorrow provided she has time but like I said I think the vet will be coming out again...

            The weird wound on the front of the leg has never oozed anything.

            Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped. (She has been polticed in the past before the injury to the tendon and never had a problem) I believe the white that connects with the wound or thing on her cannon bone is from the original wound that formed the other white on the sides i think is from the surgery she had but I am not 100%.

            Has not been ultrasounded, biopsied, cultured or Xray... I think she is going to put more pressure on the vet tomorrow... The main vet that has been seeing the horse is a super vet is actually a retired vet from the track, so sometimes I think he tries to save you money but treating it without spending all your money.. But I think my trainer has had enough and just wants it to get better.

            SMZ's were given when the wound first appeared and then also again about a month ago i believe for 10 days twice a day.

            I am not sure of the poltice but same poltice has been used on other horses in the barn and nothing happened. But we don't know if the poltice just irritated the leg and made it abscess as it was used for many days in a row....

            Mare has had no temp and has had very normal behavior...

            Hope this help I am sure its not 100% what you were looking for but its not my horse and I don't care for her on a regular basis so I don't know all the details, Sorry.. Again I thank everyone for their thoughts on this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JB View Post
              The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.

              That's what I was thinking too. Looks like damage from a bandage that was too tight, or had uneven pressure.
              http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bhebert19 View Post
                Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped.
                This makes it sound like a bandage bow to the extensor tendon.
                ______________________________
                The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET

                Comment


                • #9
                  Could it be a sequestrum (?spelling) where a piece of bone chipped off and the chip is acting as an irritant? How hard would it be to take the horse to a big clinic for a good digital x-ray, an ultrasound and a second opinion?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bhebert19 View Post
                    I am going to try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, as its not my mare and I don't know all the details.. I am hoping my trainer will jump on tomorrow provided she has time but like I said I think the vet will be coming out again...

                    The weird wound on the front of the leg has never oozed anything.

                    Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped. (She has been polticed in the past before the injury to the tendon and never had a problem) I believe the white that connects with the wound or thing on her cannon bone is from the original wound that formed the other white on the sides i think is from the surgery she had but I am not 100%.

                    Has not been ultrasounded, biopsied, cultured or Xray... I think she is going to put more pressure on the vet tomorrow... The main vet that has been seeing the horse is a super vet is actually a retired vet from the track, so sometimes I think he tries to save you money but treating it without spending all your money.. But I think my trainer has had enough and just wants it to get better.

                    SMZ's were given when the wound first appeared and then also again about a month ago i believe for 10 days twice a day.

                    I am not sure of the poltice but same poltice has been used on other horses in the barn and nothing happened. But we don't know if the poltice just irritated the leg and made it abscess as it was used for many days in a row....

                    Mare has had no temp and has had very normal behavior...

                    Hope this help I am sure its not 100% what you were looking for but its not my horse and I don't care for her on a regular basis so I don't know all the details, Sorry.. Again I thank everyone for their thoughts on this.
                    The surgery you are aware of, this was from another injury previous to the tendon blowing up? if so how long was the time between the two injuries?

                    Also, if this injury has been going on since June, It might be helpful to have some radiography to see what turns up. The horse may have a bone sequestrum and you won't know it without doing the proper diagnostic workups.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It looks *exactly* like a pressure sore to me.

                      Funny that if that is what it is, the vets don't recognize it

                      The wrap may have gotten twisted or pulled too tight and then left on for too long.. too long in those circumstances is not very long, unfortunately.

                      I had a horse who had splint surgery who ended up w/a pressure sore across his cannon bone, the hair grew in white. A little Sharpie marker on his otherwise black leg, no one knows...

                      Now, as to how to deal with it, if that is what it is...

                      obviously reviewing wrapping technique will be important but really it does happen under even the best of circumstances - like JB said, weaning her off the wrap is important. I might be worried about a fungal infection in something that has been kept wrapped and wet for so long. Hmmm. I'd definately want an ultrasound of the original injury and maybe a scrape of this to be sure of what I were dealing with.
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by JB View Post
                        This makes it sound like a bandage bow to the extensor tendon.
                        Her original injury was a day after she was jumping and her tendon blew up and the only way it stays down is if it is wrapped but never went back to normal completely. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lstevenson View Post
                          That's what I was thinking too. Looks like damage from a bandage that was too tight, or had uneven pressure.


                          Please explain to me about damage from a bandage causing white hairs?

                          Unfortunatly?.... I have only seen one bandage bow in my 15 year equine career, and never heard of this happening before. I think I do once remember seeing a horse with white hair on it's withers and being told it was caused by a saddle rub.

                          Are we taking about the same sort of thing? Does the bandage have to create rubs to make the patches of white hairs, or is the pressure alone enough to cause them?

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Percheron X View Post
                            The surgery you are aware of, this was from another injury previous to the tendon blowing up? if so how long was the time between the two injuries?

                            Also, if this injury has been going on since June, It might be helpful to have some radiography to see what turns up. The horse may have a bone sequestrum and you won't know it without doing the proper diagnostic workups.
                            Her surgery I believe was to cut her check ligament because she grew to quickly and then also has the club foot... I am not too sure about it but it was not from a injury. Her surgery was from when she was a foal. So there were a couple years I would say between the time.

                            Also like I said tomorrow the vet is coming out again and my trainer is going to tell them they need figure out what is going on because she doesn't want to do this trail and error thing anymore. If they do not do what they need to do I think she will be putting her on a trailer to go to a clinic as this is her jumper mare but she doesn't feel right working the mare with her leg like this even tho she is sound.

                            Again thank you so much for giving us your suggestions... We cant figure it out either and she just wants her horse back.

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Also I agree 100% with everyone on the ultrasound... Hopefully that is what they will be doing tomorrow.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                It looks *exactly* like a pressure sore to me.

                                I absolutely agree with this.

                                Comment

                                • Original Poster

                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                  I absolutely agree with this.
                                  This is something I could see because sometime she does try to pull her bandages off, so maybe she pulled it tight and over time it has continued to get worse. I will mention this to her tomorrow to ask the vet. Thank you again.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Percheron X View Post
                                    Please explain to me about damage from a bandage causing white hairs?
                                    Same way an ill-fitting saddle can cause white hairs - the excess pressure, over time, damages the pigment-producing ability of the hair follicle, so the hair hair grows in white.
                                    ______________________________
                                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by JB View Post
                                      Same way an ill-fitting saddle can cause white hairs - the excess pressure, over time, damages the pigment-producing ability of the hair follicle, so the hair hair grows in white.
                                      Thank you JB, I just learned something new.


                                      bhebert19,
                                      I hope your friend's horse gets the ultrasound/x-rays/biopsy and you figure this out for sure.

                                      Jingles that she heals up soon.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        A friend of mine has a mare with the same issue.
                                        No white hair however, but a big swollen extensor tendon. The first vet told her her horse was done and should be reitired. Something about bucked shins

                                        Her horses issue came from being wrapped and polticed. Instead of wrapping she now ices.

                                        The white hair really looks like a pressure situation.
                                        "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

                                        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X