• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Simplify my feed program- barn full of ottb's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
    However... when this program works for a horse, it REALLY works. In the OP's case, she is feeding pounds and pounds of TC when she could be cutting back significantly the amount of concentrates her horses get in one feeding and increasing their nutrition.
    Gale, I'm truly happy that you've had good luck so far but consider this....
    when it doesn't work and has the opposite effect, the results can be truly devastating. Ie....IR, laminitis, crazy neurotic behavior, hormone level issues, obesity, poor hoof condition, udder development, and what other so far undocumented but likely effects like thyroid trouble (well documented by soy in people and other animals), reproductive problems, etc... (too many to list like increased risk of cancer, etc...)

Again, Equilibrium had TB's with issues on the same RB I used. It might be fewer TB's as compared to easy keeping breeds but again, why risk it?

ALL of my horses returned to normal after having the RB removed from their diet and remain looking fantastic in weight, bloom and overall health.

Comment

I know. But I have seen those things happen on OTHER feeding programs, too. Given the success so many horses have experienced on the RB, I can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

My personal horse cannot eat soy.. or flax.. or alfalfa.. ONLY oats. Just oats. And beetpulp. He becomes subclinically laminitic on anything else. Air fern breed indeed.

But I cannot throw out the potential positive for horses who do not have an issue w/flax.. or alfalfa... or soy. That would be silly, particularly with my focus being what it is.
      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
      ---
      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I think any feed program has the potential to cause problems with some horses. Some horses are allergic to alfalfa, some horses can't have too much fat or need more fat, some horses need really low levels of NSCs, etc.

I agree that ration balancers have probably helped a whole lot more horses than they have hurt even with the potential soy problem. If there is a suspected issue with anything, then by all means stay away but to make a blanket statement on anything is really risky.

Comment

I agree. Just because there are a ton of kids out there with peanut allergies, does that mean I should stop eating peanut butter? Take it case by case.

I do also agree with eqtrainer that workload makes a difference. You can't feed horses like they are 3 day eventers when they are pasture puffs. (a general You, not directed at any specific person)

I have had my TB for 9 years and he has been on a progressive RB product for the last four and his condition has greatly improved compared to before.

Comment

• Original Poster

All very good points and discussion which I appreciate.

Postingtrot- I am in Delaware so it get's cold and the TC complete gets hard very quickly. It is based in beet pulp and tends to be moist. I just built my barn and it's a MD barn with ridge vents so it is warmer than outside but not that warm and the way it is built there are no roofs on any of the stalls. We had planned on adding a top on the tack room and heating that mainly for the cats Our grain is dumped from the bags into big trash cans.

The tricky part about the Tb's especially young tb's in work is they can change shape so quickly. I keep a blog on the horses I am bring along for CANTER so you can see they do pretty well on the feeding program but I am always striving to see if there is anything better I could be doing.
            This is Dixie- evented during the summer/fall and is now fox hunting. He's a 16.1 h 5yr and right now I think he looks okay but he has lost some neck muscle. Part of that could be he is now doing long rides out fox hunting but not as much dressage work. I think that last photo was from Sept.
            http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/200.../looking-back/

Recent photos:
            He is very fit from lots of long trail rides and fox hunting. He is the one that eats around 8lbs of grain and tons of hay with rice bran.
            http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/200...e-rode-anyway/

This is the older boy getting ready to turn 22yrs old and he has no teeth. Ever since the age of 7 he was an easy keeper!
            http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22387...58815717hmMFKO

The conn/tb who is a 7yr. He is on stall rest but even when extremly fit I have him on the TC lite..he's an easy keeper much like his rider.
            http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28255...58815717WdvRqt

This is another 5yr tb who was extremely thin and narrow. It took a while to put the weight on him. I think he looks good for his narrow frame but I would like a bit more topline and back muscle. He is in work to with a combo of trail riding, fox hunting and jumping.
            Arrival
            http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27867...58815717RYUguY
            now
            http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28540...58815717goIStU
            http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

No I get what you are all trying to say. Some horses do seem to do well or OK on it although again I wonder how many have problems that are blamed on something else. The problem is that the long term effects of soy isoflavones in feed have not been well studied in horses...we really don't KNOW...it's all speculation...and the symptoms like obesity and IR are way too easy to blame on something else.

Truly though there is a percentage that does not do well on that type of feed like mine and others owned by COTH members and what troubles me is that the feed like RB's and low carb feeds are touted by the feed companies as "perfect" for easy keepers and no warnings are given....it's reminds me of the low carb diet fad in people also. The following to these products is almost cultlike. I sincerely doubt that any of it has been as well tested as people want to believe also. I asked multiple times for copies of studies from a certain company that claims to have loads of research done and I was ignored.

My only warning to the OP is that if a feed or a program sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I agree that there is no perfect answer for each and every horse's dietary needs and if someone tells you there is...don't walk but run away. That is the story I was told and I know better now.

ETA: I realize that no one here is saying the RB's are perfect for all horses but that is a line you will get from a company rep and no one will warn you about food sensitivities or other possible issues nor acknowledge that there are any problems possible other than true allergies. Do some research on soy in people and you will find plenty of warnings out there now that are well substantiated by real research.
              Last edited by Ridge Runner; Dec. 5, 2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Simplify? Barley. My horse has always been a tough keeper but low and behold he is doing great now that he's on barley (and Purina Amplify as a top dressing). I've been using HFHF for years and years but this has made a real difference.
                A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

Working...
                X