• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

EPSM horse owners or draft horse owners!!!long but worth it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPSM horse owners or draft horse owners!!!long but worth it

Monte’s Thanksgiving Episode that could have been catastrophic! (Monte is a 6 yo Shire)

The EPSM vegetable oil diet saved my Shire’s life. This is how…
    10/10/07 start high fat, low starch diet because of EPSM like symptoms
    11/8/07 Muscle biopsy – came back negative
    Continue diet anyway.
    Some improvement, then decline.
    Can no longer hold hind legs up at all, must be drugged to trim hooves.
    Seemed more like Shivers symptoms.
    10/08 Consulted with a National Shivers veterinarian expert regarding diet, suggested switching to Purina Ultium so wouldn’t have to mess with vegetable oil and all the other supplements, etc.
    Monte current diet was :
    2x/day 1.3lbs Triple Crown Low Starch
    4oz Omega Horseshine
    2 oz magnesium
    1 ½- 2 cups vegetable oil
    1x/day scoop selenium & Vit. E
    Grass turnout (Bermuda grass)
    2nd cutting alfalfa
    Over 7-8 days changed to 2quarts of Purina Ultium 2x/day.
    Wednesday, November 26th was 1st day of no oil and only Ultium.
    Thursday, November 27th (Thanksgiving Day) when leading Monte out
    to his pasture, his nose was to the ground. When let him in pasture
    he pawed and attempted to lie down. I wouldn’t let him lay down
    and drug him back to pasture in front of house. Legs looked like they
    were attempting to crumble underneath him. No interest in grazing.
    His nose to ground and obvious discomfort & pain.
    Because of recent feed change, immediately thought he was colicing
    I check other vitals, which were normal, except gum color and
    respiration. Administered Banamine, called vet, over the phone, he
    concurred colic and suggested I up the Banamine.
    Monte improved for a couple of hours.
    Then around 4pm he went downhill. Actually laid down. This horse
    only lays down at night, never during the day EVER. Managed to
    get him back up only to have him go back down.
    For some reason I thought to look at my Draft Horse Owner’s Manual book by Dr. Beth Valentine. Where I read the most common
    underlying cause of down draft horses is EPSM. And even though
    his biopsy came back negative, I began to suspect that EPSM was
    more the cause than colic. The book also states that it can look
    like colic.
    Seemed that his new feed just was not giving him enough fat.
    The book also said that if you suspect EPSM and can get 4 cups or
    more of vegetable oil in them the fat will provide enough energy for
    the horse to stand within a day or 2.
    Because Monte’s feed regime just recent included about 4 cups of oil
    a day he gobbled it up and didn’t have to use stomach tube or iv
    fat solution.
    Monte laid there eating his vegetable oil mash. He got up within 2
    hours. He did go back down later that evening and we got more
    vegetable oil into him.
    Friday, November 28th Monte was back to his normal (his
    nose in everyone’s business) self as far as attitude. His original
    EPSM symptoms came back, but I hope with getting back on the
    EPSM diet will help eleviate some over time.

Prior to the scary incident, I really wasn’t sure if the EPSM diet was doing anything, much less helping anything. Especially since his biopsy came back negative.
    This diet and this book saved his life. I am not one to be dramatic or overly enthusiastic about much. However, if you own a draft or know someone who does, this is worth remembering. Most like your vet will not know what is going on because typically they don’t deal with many drafts in their practice. (Esp. where I am)
    I know there is a lot of controversy over the EPSM, high fat diet and I was one of them that was becoming skeptical. Because of this, I almost killed my horse. Thank God for the thought in the back of my head to consult this book. Or I would be writing a different note today.
    I really had something to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Glad that it helped him, but I wonder if there's more going on here that's not obvious. He should have responded better to the diet from the start if he is indeed EPSM.

At this point I wold not rule out other issues, like selenium deficiency for example.

Best wishes!

Comment

my shire x is on no hard feed, extra oil plus selenium/vit e/lysine supplement made by NAF.

seeing the change in him, i'm a believer too

i'd try a selenium/vit e supplement too with your boy, i think it's recomended by the EPSM diet people but not 100% sure

really pleased your boy is ok
      Last edited by Alexie; Dec. 1, 2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Scary!
        My appendix QH (who was biopsy positive) just had an episode on saturday. And yes, it looks like colic, but isn't. Luckily, he was only down for a few hours and after syringing oil and banamine, he got up, got a drink and started eating hay like nothing had been wrong. usually, I catch his episodes immediately and he is fine with 10cc banamine. But this time, it took a little longer.

He is on the full EPSM diet and is doing quite well. But occassionally, he will relapse and I always worry. And then i rack my brain to try and figure out why he had a problem.

Glad to hear your boy is doing well again. I agree that Ultium does not have enough fat. My non-EPSM TB does well on it but the appendix QH gets his special beet pulp/alfalfa cubes/gro-n-win and oil mix!

Oh, and BTW, in the same vein, before I had the biopsy done, I had convinced myself that my horse probably did not have EPSM. So I also changed his feed. He crashed: weight loss, lameness in the front end and finally lost his balance one day and flipped over me while cantering. I had that biopsy done and meanwhile he went right back on the diet!
        \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Comment

• Original Poster

think I had that I feed selenium/vit E in my post, but not sure. I do feed a selenium & vit e supplement

CC were you ever able to figure out if anything in particular caused him to go down dispite being on the diet? Also my guy, prior to this episode, had become increasingly "funny" up front. As though he is trying to park out. It is very evident when he goes to take his first mouthful of feed from his bucket on the ground and in cross ties. And he seems to get worse in the winter.
          Such a frustrating disease, but I'm so glad I know now how much the oil actually was helping!!!

Comment

The only thing I could come up with was that 2 days earlier, my sister had switched him into the other field as we were trying to fit a new horse in. That other field has more grass, so it is possible he just consumed more sugars. He wears a grazing muzzle 3 seasons out of the year but has not been wearing one lately so he can eat hay. He is back in the sparser field now!
            \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Comment

Wow. I am so glad that things worked out! That is so interesting. So, when you say an "EPSM episdode"--what is it? Tying up? Seizure? This is such a strange and frustrating condition.

Comment

Rebmik, I'm not sure where you are in Va., but Dr. Valentine designed a special feed specifically for EPSM / Shivers horses and it's made and carried by the Farmer's Co-op. There are a few dealers in Va. The feed is 20% fat and I cannot say enough good things about it. I still feed 2 C of oil on top of the feed. I have a Belgian that is suspected EPSM too. The feed is here and click on dealers to see if there is one close to you if you are interested in trying it. http://www.farmerscoop.com/Feed_Divi...t%20Low%20Carb
                Whole Horse Hoof Care
                Horseshoeing...Deceptively Simple
                Endlessly Complex

Comment

Well it is my understanding that a muscle biopsy is conclusive......in other words if it is negative than your horse does not have EPSM/PSSM. I have not heard of any false negatives.

I know the new blood test for EPSM is only 80% conclusive.

I wonder if where you had the test done did not do it correctly.......I had mine done at the University of Minnesota where Dr. Valberg does her research.

Dalemma

Comment

2boys, what I call my horse's "episodes" are, I think, muscle pain. So it resembles colic but there are no intestinal symptoms: plenty of manure production, gut noises etc.

He will paw, not eat and lay down. Usually 10 cc banamine will relieve him in about 10 minutes. This time, it went a bit longer.

Re: the muscle biopsy. Dr. Valentine has stated that not all affected horses show the abnormal muscle pathology especially if they are young. My horse has shown symptoms since he was a yearling and did not have the biopsy until he was 19. And, pathologically, not clinically, he was diagnosed as "mild". So if there had even been a biopsy test when he was young, I'm wondering if he would have been labeled as negative also. He also did not show the glycogen aggregates so it is possible that Dr. Valberg may also have diagnosed him as negative as I know the two labs use slightly different criteria for diagnosis.

Comment

• Original Poster

No the muscle biopsy is not conclusive. Although a fairly good specimen is taken, if it's early stages that part of the muscle may not show denervation atrophy, muscle damage or stored carbs. Monte syptoms were minimal at the time of the biopsy. He was 5 yo. The symptoms have since gotten worse, then without the fat, his body showed how much it was actually helping him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dalemma View Post
                        Well it is my understanding that a muscle biopsy is conclusive......in other words if it is negative than your horse does not have EPSM/PSSM. I have not heard of any false negatives.

I know the new blood test for EPSM is only 80% conclusive.

I wonder if where you had the test done did not do it correctly.......I had mine done at the University of Minnesota where Dr. Valberg does her research.

Dalemma
                        I have also been corresponding with Dr. Valberg. Sent her a video to see if Monte could be a candidate for their shivers study.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Patty Lynch View Post
                          Rebmik, I'm not sure where you are in Va., but Dr. Valentine designed a special feed specifically for EPSM / Shivers horses and it's made and carried by the Farmer's Co-op. There are a few dealers in Va. The feed is 20% fat and I cannot say enough good things about it. I still feed 2 C of oil on top of the feed. I have a Belgian that is suspected EPSM too. The feed is here and click on dealers to see if there is one close to you if you are interested in trying it. http://www.farmerscoop.com/Feed_Divi...t%20Low%20Carb
                          Thank you, I will see what kind of availability it has in my area.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Patty Lynch View Post
                            do you have the feed label info? there is a dealer somewhat close by. I looked on the web page and didn't see the entire feed label for that particular feed. Why do you still feed 2 cups of oil? After my incident, I am so afraid to change anything. My reason for changing would be to not have to mess with the oil! But if I have to still feed the oil on top of that feed, the Southern States is closer and much more accesible.
                            thanks for any info. soooooo frustrating!

Comment

Working...
                            X