• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gelding love sick over a Mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelding love sick over a Mare

Hello:

I have a 9 year old gelding that has gotten love sick over a mare that is in our barn and in his turnout. There are only 3 horses in our little barn, one other gelding, mine and the mare. Yesterday he broke thru his stall guard to go find her up the hill. Lately, if she is not around in his view, he won't stand for the farrier, won't stay in his stall without her in hers (right next to him), and when we go places to together he can be a real butt head. The Mare is owned by a wonderful friend and my daughter's instructor. We love her to pieces but my geldings behavior has got to go.

I have an opportunity to move to another barn and turnout on the same property. This would be a bigger barn, and a heard of 6 horses (all geldings). I am thinking that this gelding is love lorn for this mare. I think the opportunity to move him would benefit him and the bigger heard and all geldings will be good to?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    We buck for Joy!

If it's that simple to move him, I'd move him.

I have something of the same situation here. When I ride out alone on the mare, I must first tie the gelding up or he'll tear out of where ever he is and follow along. Riding out on him isn't so bad, as he's then distracted by the job at hand.
    There's another mare in this group of three, but she is no comfort to him. If "Lady" isn't where he can be near her, he's all out of sorts.

You're lucky to have such an easy fix. This farm is situated with one facility for horses, so I've just got to cope with this situation as best I can.
    "It’s a well-documented fact that of all the animals in the realm of agriculture, Bulls have the highest job satisfaction rate."~~Ree Drummond, AKA the Pioneer Woman

Comment

I'm bumping this (am the owner of the "irresistable mare" in question ), hoping that more people will weigh in with suggestions...(and thanks, MikeP )

I've dealt with general "nappy behavior" in horses (and that can be worked with, of course, over time), but this situation is a tough one! My one concern with moving him to the upper barn would be that he might try to "get back to her" by jumping paddock fences; stranger things have happened!

If anyone has successfully dealt with this obsessive type of behavior, we would love to hear from you!
      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

People who haven't seen it may think its crazy, but a few years ago I was riding a mare who had a gelding "in love" with her. Our riding ring was fenced in a feild and this gelding would jump the 5foot fence to get into the riding ring so he could follow the mare around the jumps! If you were riding him and she moved out of his sight he would pitch a fit.

When he was sold he had a rough time transitioning, and ended up coming back to the farm for another year. The mare was eventually sold, and the gelding moved on as well.

The mare hardly noticed the gelding, really couldn't care any less. It was amusing so long as you weren't riding him when she dissapeared.
        Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
        Like us on facebook!

Comment

we have had the same problem , the only solution was to put them in seperate fields, they got over it pretty quickly ! we currently have 2- 20+ acres fields 9 geldings in one 2 mares in the other, tried to even things out by putting a couple of the quieter geldings in with the mares, but it did not work well, they would call for each other, race along the fence line when they were not together.....i actually just got a call today from someone asking if we had room for a pony mare because her geldings were acting stupid around the pony and she needs to relocate the pony because they only have one field.... in the past we had mixed herds but this group just can't handle it!!

Comment

My 17 yo TB gelding did the same thing to a pregnant 16 yo mare next to him. He wouldn't eat, would stalk around his corral madly, whinnying as if his heart would break every time she was away. I worried because I knew she was moving to another barn to have her foal, but my horse was absolutely fine. He's fallen in love with at least 4 other mares since then (he's now 18) and we joke that he hangs out in his stall wearing a smoking jacket and drinking courvoisier (The Ladies' Gelding!)

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantapony View Post
              My 17 yo TB gelding did the same thing to a pregnant 16 yo mare next to him. He wouldn't eat, would stalk around his corral madly, whinnying as if his heart would break every time she was away. I worried because I knew she was moving to another barn to have her foal, but my horse was absolutely fine. He's fallen in love with at least 4 other mares since then (he's now 18) and we joke that he hangs out in his stall wearing a smoking jacket and drinking courvoisier (The Ladies' Gelding!)

Thanks for the great guffaw!
              "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

At one point this summer, my 24 year old mare was sharing attention from my 3 year old gelding and a 30-year old geezer. My three year old was insanely jealous of the 30 year old gelding and the old guy had to be removed from the paddock because the 3 year old was fighting him for the mare.

My mare and gelding are now separated and the 30 year old is out of the picture entirely. Now the 3 year old could care less about my mare. In fact, he's taken quite a dislike to her.

I find their loyalties are quite short lived.

Comment

I am in the same situation. I am at a self care barn it has been my mare and a pony. My mare has been by herself for about 4 yrs. and has done well by herself. But found someone else to move in with her gelding to help with shifts. Where this gelding came from he has a bad habit of pacing. I did not realize how bad until he came here to the barn. My mare is pacing now if she can't see him and he does the same. They are in seperate pastures but next to each other. I don't know what to do either. Do not want to put together to many cons.

Comment

I have had geldings that have been in mixed herds/turnout groups. There was always some "love affair" going on. I am all in favor of separating the sexes for turnouts. The gelding will get over it when he makes buddies with other geldings.
                    lindasp62
                    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
                    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
                    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Yea, it is not so much when he leaves her but when she leaves him. It is funny.. to watch him. He really adores her and she barely gives him the time of day. There are 2 other geldings in the turnout with him. He likes them to, but he loves the mare. It also does not help that my gelding is stalled next to the mare, and in turnout with her. Just too much for his smallish brain, and he is love sick. Some of these boys just can't handle it. In making the transition, what I would do is take him back to his breeder not to far away for a couple of nights, let him detox so to speak, then bring him back straight to the upper barn. Almost to say.. humm.. kind of a new place, but smells familiar. He has met most of the horses in the top barn, and he would be out with 5 geldings, no mares. I am sure he will bond with one of the geldings which is normal, but it is a bigger barn with 14 stalls, so he would see lots of friends at the same time.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it
                      We buck for Joy!

Comment

I'd seperate them. It's hard having a small herd/barn. They become more attached to each other than the horses at large barns (in my experience).
                        When your gelding broke out of the barn and ran up the hill to the mare, was he alone in the barn? You mentioned there are only 3 horses in the barn total. That is probably the reason for the extreme attachment.

For a while we had only 3 horses at our barn. We had issues with riding one horse or two and the remaining horse panicking alone. Now that we have 5 horses it is much calmer.

My old gelding (not old in age - only nine, he's old as in I used to own him, gave him up and now he's mine again) is here now at the private farm where I keep my 4 yr. old mare. He did not seem to be forming a friendship with the other geldings on the property so he was put out with my mare. They ended up looooving each other, and nearly ended up "consumating" the relationship.
                        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02707698cgenSy
                        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02707698ILeUEK

He was removed from the pasture and has since become at least somewhat friendly with another gelding. He was miffed at first for being moved but got over it quickly.

My mare is fine with the other geldings on the property because they ignore her advances even when she's in heat. She's big but she's also the youngest in the herd. I can just imagine the geldings and what they'd be like as people, rolling their eyes and snickering at her behavior.

Comment

Working...
                        X