Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Banamine injectable - given orally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banamine injectable - given orally?

OK I know you can give the Banamine injectable sub-lingually - but I have a friend who actually puts it in her horse's feed. (And yes, her horse actually eats it.) Is this an effective way to give Banamine if all you have is the injectable and for whatever reason you can't do an IV shot? Obviously absorption will be slower than if it's given IV, but if that's not really a critical factor ... ?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I'd worry about it actually being absorbed by the mucosa in the mouth when administered in the feed.

ETA - Actually, I don't believe it absorbs that much slower to give PO than if you give it IV. I'd never give it IM.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

My vet advised against injecting Banamine IM and since I am not comfortable with giving IV injections she advised to give it orally with a syringe. I am not sure that is the same solution as that for the IM injections. She stated that it works almost as fast as the IM shot.

Comment

When my wealing TB had his hernia fixed the vet gave me a bottle of injectable Banamine with instructions to give it oral. It seemed to work just fine and was much easier than sticking a young one by myself.

Comment

Original Poster

There is no question that it can be dosed orally. My question is whether it's effective when PUT IN THE HORSE'S FOOD. Thanks.

Comment

Would probably take longer to be effective as if horse eats fast, it will end up in the stomach. If your friend cannot squirt it into the horse's mouth with a syringe, why doesn't she buy that cheap dosing halter that Jeffersequine.com sells? it works for horses who throw their heads up when being given oral meds.

Of course if you are giving banamine for colic, you don't want to be putting feed into the horse anyway. Unless it's "grain tea." If giving banamine for inflammation, then probably ok to put it into feed. but why do that when you can either squirt it into the mouth by a syringe, or use the medication halter from Jeffers?

Comment

Originally posted by retrofit View Post
              There is no question that it can be dosed orally. My question is whether it's effective when PUT IN THE HORSE'S FOOD. Thanks.
              Yes, it is effective. I used it for years this way. Great response, no problems. No different from the paste.
              As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

I use it in my mares feed.. It works fine.. I cant get anything in her mouth with a syringe.. The halter was a big waste of money.. So, we resorted to putting it in her feed.

Comment

Originally posted by retrofit
                  retrofit
                  I can only go by my horse's case, so this may well be different for others, been using it for many months now and for him it is as effective orally as when given IV. He is pretty lame when off it and pretty sound & happy when on it. I just dose slightly higher when giving the liquid orally, not sure if latter is necessary however, I just do 2cc more vs when I do IV, since I suspect some to be lost somehow when put in feed. (be sure to check with vet if doing so, it's not something you want to overdose on!!). I topdress feed with a sachet of brown sugar oatmeal and squirt liquid in the little oatmeal heap. He gobbles it up no problem
                  I see no difference in comfort in him when I do an IV vs when dosed orally in feed, but when on nothing, it's pretty clear that he's in pain. Orally seems to take about 3 to 4 hrs for full effect.
                  I have also used the compounded Flunixin from Wedgewood, which was equally effective and easy to mix in feed.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the responses

Comment

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the responses
                      It does have a HORRIBLE taste for the poor horse

Comment

I now use the Banamine injectable for dosing my horses orally instead of the paste. Paste has become very expensive comparatively, and the horses do not seem to mind the taste. I put the dosage in a very small amount of Equine Senior and they eat it without having the paste struggle. They are happy to not be mugged , and I think that they think they got the better end of the deal with a tasty treat! LOL. Seems effective and makes management a bit easier. If we have a show or anything of that nature, I will do the IV route to ensure pre- competition dosing requirements and timing.

Comment

There is no question that it can be dosed orally.
                          Actually, there is. If you read the insert that comes with any bottle of injectable Banamine (or the generic versions), you won't find anything that says it can be given orally. I also haven't found a single vet in my area that advises giving the injectable version orally although a few don't object. Right or wrong some vets strongly believe it is ineffective administered that way.

In fact, I was read the riot act by one vet several years ago when I couldn't get my old mare's ERU flare-up under control and had to have her out. When I told her what I'd been doing, including giving injectable Banamine orally 2X/day, she bugged out on me. I was told in no uncertain terms that I had caused the mare to suffer needlessly for two days because Banamine injectable should never be given orally - only IV or IM and if I wanted to go the oral route to use the paste! One does not forget a dressing down like that!

When I asked my current vet about it she said she's had 100's of clients injecting Banamine IM for more than 25 years and none have reported a single problem. Personally, I usually avoid the neck for any IM injection, going for the gluteals or the chest; use gloves and sterile needles/syringes every single time. I dislike the neck for several reasons including having owned horses capable of tightening those muscles enough to bend the needles.

If you or your vets have any credible studies proving injectable Banamine is just as effective given orally please provide cites. I've never been able to find anything other than anecdotal claims posing as fact.

Comment

That's quite a risk giving Banamine IM.
                            Off Topic Discussion about Life, Interests & Politics
                            http://theotherboard.boards.net/

Comment

And what did the vet say had caused your mare to suffer?
                              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

All I can say is that my vets have told me to give injectable banamine orally on more than one occasion. It seems to work that way for my horse.

I have never tried it in his grain. Since he eats bute out of my hand I am guessing he would gobble up grain laced with banamine too.

Comment

When I asked my current vet about it she said she's had 100's of clients injecting Banamine IM for more than 25 years and none have reported a single problem. Personally, I usually avoid the neck for any IM injection, going for the gluteals or the chest; use gloves and sterile needles/syringes every single time. I dislike the neck for several reasons including having owned horses capable of tightening those muscles enough to bend the needles.

Yep and I had probably given 100s of banamine shots IM without a problem UNTIL the day that's did. One I spent $100s in vet bills over it and two, I felt like the worlds biggest ass because I knew better and my mare suffered greatly.

For the OP, once in desperation I went the feed route and it worked.

Comment

I gave it orally at the end of the my mare's last pregnancy and it kept her comfortable and happy.

It was VERY obvious when she didn't have it/was uncomfortable.

This was per vet recommendation. It would have been much less cost effective to do the paste and while I can do IV, it would have been harder to get my poor husband to fill in for me while I had some crazy hours.
                                    Semi Feral

Comment

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
                                      Actually, there is. If you read the insert that comes with any bottle of injectable Banamine (or the generic versions), you won't find anything that says it can be given orally. I also haven't found a single vet in my area that advises giving the injectable version orally although a few don't object. Right or wrong some vets strongly believe it is ineffective administered that way.

In fact, I was read the riot act by one vet several years ago when I couldn't get my old mare's ERU flare-up under control and had to have her out. When I told her what I'd been doing, including giving injectable Banamine orally 2X/day, she bugged out on me. I was told in no uncertain terms that I had caused the mare to suffer needlessly for two days because Banamine injectable should never be given orally - only IV or IM and if I wanted to go the oral route to use the paste! One does not forget a dressing down like that!

If you or your vets have any credible studies proving injectable Banamine is just as effective given orally please provide cites. I've never been able to find anything other than anecdotal claims posing as fact.
                                      I think your vet wanted to sell you some banamine paste.
                                      McDowell Racing Stables

Remarkable Leather Goods
                                      Triple Stitched Halters, Hand Made To Order in US

Comment

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post

Injectable Banamine is just that: formulated to be injected. That's how it is formulated and packaged and tested and sold. That doesn't mean it can't be given via other routes, or that it isn't safe or efficacious to do so. There isn't anything magical in Banamine paste to suit it to oral use as far as I'm aware, just some propylene glycol or similar, to make it easier to dose orally. Its the same compound. I have had many vets direct me to use the injectable orally and have had no problems. It's a LOT cheaper than the paste, so that's what I prefer for most cases.
                                        As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Working...
                                        X