• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Death of 4 horses in WNC in less than a week possibly due to fungus on grass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of 4 horses in WNC in less than a week possibly due to fungus on grass?

The vets are still guessing at this point, but to summerize: Four horses have died in less than a week in the same area (Cane Creek/Fairview area outside of Asheville). Another horse was referred to a local equine facility (we'd heard Bonnie Brae in Tryon, NC...excellent facility...though that's not confirmed). The horses developed cardiac symptoms, along with hind end and muscle weaknesses that rapidly deteriorated resulting in the horses dying.

The vet who was interviewed on TV (Dr. Anne Stewart...good vet...I've used her before), said at this time, they are guessing it is a fungus on the grass that occurs during this time of year (fall) in drought conditions (we're still in severe drought....please, please pray for rain!). Right now the recommendation was to put your horses on dry lot until they find out further.

Anyone heard of this? Many of the pastures in our area are of fescue grass. Horse owners in this area know that there is a fungus on most of the fescue grass....that's why we pull our pregnant mares off of fescue three months prior to foaling (it can cause some serious problems)...but I've never heard of it harming non-pregnant horses. Anyone one else heard of this type of problem in drought stricken areas?

While it didn't mention it on TV, the "word" is that red maple and cherry have been eleminated as possible causes. If it's a weed, it hasn't been identified as yet. We are all axiously awaiting further test results, and thoughts and prayers go out to the owners of the horses that died, and the one in the clinic. Jingling for it to make a full recovery.
    Last edited by mtngirl; Nov. 12, 2008, 09:44 PM.
    A poorly fitted saddle hampers both horse and rider.
    https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Ho-Saddle-Services

Try to get a copy of Dr. Anthony Knights A Guide to plant poisoning. Plants containing cardiac glycosides include: dogbane, lily of the valley, foxglove, oleander, many different species of milkweed, butterfly weed. He says treat with activated charcoal if the horse is not dead already. He talks of other medical treatments. See if some local weed expert can walk the pastures, or even have them look through stomach contents at necropsy.
    Katy
    Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

Those symptoms don't sound like fescue toxicosis or grass staggers. Grass staggers comes from rye - but like I wrote the symptoms don't really match 100%.

Like Katy wrote - a necropsy will most likely reveal the cause. Could be something in a hay delivery, a noxious weed - a number of things.
      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thinking outside the box (I just posted this on NC Horse news too)....

Since we know that a dog contracted Lepto in that area in the last two months...could it be possible that the soil and water in that area is contaminated with Leptospirious????

Did they rule this out?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/public/re...osis.htm~Story

Comment

I watched the report on the news, WLOS, tonight but have been unable to get on their website to see if there is any other information.
          I thought they said 4 had died. They did say they had sent 1 or more to Tryon Equine, used to be Bonnie Brae. They said they had ruled out toxic plants or foul play.
          I'm at a loss for where to go to get information. Do you call your vet? Ag extension? Is there a Poisen Control for animals?
          The only recommendation on the TV was to put your animals up. I have one old horse who would be really crippled if he couldn't move around and a pony with allergies who needs to be out 24/7. My friend has 15 horses, 5 stalls. What to do........what to do........

Comment

Aren't those symptoms that of nitrate poisoning?

Comment

Here is the link to the report on WLOS:

http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_1651.shtml

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks ttldr1 for providing the link! I replayed the news segment (it was hard to take it all in when cooking dinner and someone else talking to me at the same time!) ...symptoms included becoming lethagic, sweating, shaking and dark urine. And yes, Price, you're right...it was four horses not three. Four dead since last Thursday. The news report stated they suspect a soil or root based toxin? I'd heard from other sources it was a fungus...but then you know how rumors are. Still, the information I'd had received pretty much went along with the news broadcast.

Very scary. I have friends with horses in that area and everyone I've talked to is pretty worried. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for more information. I'm sure necropsies are/have been done and more tests will be forthcoming. My two are already on dry lot most of the time, simply due to the drought and lack of grass. Guess I'd better lay in some more hay!

Comment

my mare is like 3 miles from where the horses were at...

I was told earlier tonight it's actually up to 5 or 6 now, but they are from 2 farms that are neighbors to each other, that makes me think maybe something got into the creek there, or something of that sort. If it was something due to the drought, wouldn't it be more wide spread, than 2 neighboring farms?
                  But if it gets any worse I will probably be calling friends and moving my horse till it gets solved...
                  " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                  http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

It makes me feel a little better that it is all 2 farms next to each other, but I think mine will spend a day in or small almost no grass paddock. Oh and can you imagine the heartbreak if it were you.
                    No sugguestions for getting information? I don't much trust WLOS.

Comment

Originally posted by mtngirl View Post
                      . . . . Anyone heard of this? Many of the pastures in our area are of fescue grass. Horse owners in this area know that there is a fungus on most of the fescue grass....that's why we pull our pregnant mares off of fescue three months prior to foaling (it can cause some serious problems)...but I've never heard of it harming non-pregnant horses. Anyone one else heard of this type of problem in drought stricken areas?
                      . . .
                      The one comment I have is that the fungus found in conjunction with fescue is NOT ON the fescue. It is an ENDOPHYTE fungus ("endo" means INSIDE) that is within the fescue & is there the entire life of that fescue plant.

Actually, the endophyte fungus of fescue has great potential for harming grazing animals. The fungus causes constriction of capillaries (tiny blood vessels) & there have been cases of cows grazing on fescue that had ear tips die & fall off & also hooves die & fall off due to the impaired circulation.

Comment

I've been following this, as well, but info has been scarce!

I do hope they discover something soon. Fortunately we did get rain today, and my horses stayed in the dry lot (well, muddy lot).

I know we have dogbane in the area and I've known of goats dying from this. Does anyone know how dead these pastures were? I had heard (rumor, mind you) that area was known for colic because the grass is so rich?

Please keep posting whatever you hear!
                        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

I just talked to my vet. She said she had heard of this on Tues from the small animal side of her practice. According to her, the neighbors live across the road from each other. The pastures were not rich but overgrazed. The current thought is that a foreign weed seed, maybe from imported hay, could have caused a non-native plant that was toxic, although they have not found any plants. Symptoms are similar to tieing up and treatment is the same, massive amounts of IV fluid to flush the kidneys. The killer has been that the "toxin" also attacks the heart and that has been the cause of the horses who have died or been put down (there have been some of each).
                          I'm probably 10 miles or so away and she said she thought I was fine with my horses out. She also thought the rain we had last night and today would make whatever it was, less toxic.

Comment

My horse is very near where this happened.

The BM has taken all the horses off pasture and put them in dry lots.

It's so sad!!!

Let's all hope that this mystery is solved quickly and the horses can go out on pasture again!!!

Comment

Here's a link to the local vet about what is happening

I had a visit from the vet today, not related to this. But she told us that there have been only 4 horses put down or die, and here is a link to her website with a little more info as to what is going on..
                              It still seems to be ONLY these 2 places, they are neighbors, but have a fenced off creek between them, so no direct contact between the horses. I don't know if this would make a lot of difference, but all the horses have been pasture puffs, not horses in regular work, and on over grazed pastures, so who knows what they picked up and ate..
                              -
                              http://www.appalachianequine.com/news.html
                              " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                              http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

VERY interesting article at that link, Grandprixjump:

http://www.appalachianequine.com/SPM.pdf (Seasonal Pasture Myopathy). I had never heard of Seasonal Pasture Myopathy - now I have something new to worry about.

Comment

I'd never heard the condition referred to by that name. I've heard it referred to by the names associated with each type of toxicity - rather than an umbrella term.

Like how Johnsongrass is a great forage - except under certain conditions (for all livestock not just horses). Or rye being a great forage but grass tetany/rye staggers happening under certain conditions. Or a rather rare one (around here) switchgrass toxicity in horses. That was responsible for a few deaths around here a few years ago. I think it was in a hay delivery from out of the area. One of the reasons I'm not overly thrilled with the concept of switchgrass being planted as a biofuel. It's a native grass and common in tallgrass prairie... but hundreds of thousands of acres of it across the US does not give me warm fuzzy feelings.

Hope no more horses become ill.
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Evalee: You are entirely correct about the fugus involved with fescue being an endophyte....it was late at night and I just could not wrap my mind around the proper explanation.

Just as a precaution my BO has put all our horses on dry lot until we hear further.

grandprixjump: Thanks for the link. I have printed it off to circulate to a number of horse owners I know to give them a heads up. I don't want to panic anyone, but I feel that it's better to err on the side of caution. I'm hoping that the rain we got last night (YEAH!) may help.

Comment

Yes Evalee's description of endophyte is correct.

Dalemma

Comment

Any new information on this? I've got a friend that just moved to Columbus, NC, which isn't all that far from Fairview/Fletcher area and I'm worried.
                                        Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X