• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Coggins ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coggins ?

I'm from england and have no idea what coggins stands for. Could somebody explain . thank you

A coggins test is a test for Equine Infectious Anemia. It is done annually and required by most barns and show venues, etc before an outside horse is allowed on the property as the disease is highly contagious.

Comment

"Coggins" is the colloquial name for the test for Equine Infectious Anemia. Horses in the US are required to have a recent (usually within either 6 months or a year) negative test in order to go to shows, cross state lines, be sold, and, in many states, even just be transported off the property where they live.

A positive result means a choice between euthanasia and lifelong quarantine away from other equines. Barns with a positive result are quarantined for some time (the time depends on the state) and not released until every remaining equite tests negative.

EIA is bloodborne (transmitted most often by biting flies or contaminated needles) and used to be very prevalent in the US. It is still endemic in some areas (mostly southern climates). Most carriers are inapparent and never show symptoms of the disease. The risk of transmission is actually quite small, but it does happen, and there is no vaccine or cure - hence the emphasis on testing.

Because the incubation period can be up to 3 months, though, even annual testing doesn't catch every case before the horse has a chance to infect others. Testing has, however, dramatically reduced the incidence of the disease.
      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Coggins is a blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-th...est?&id=509657

If you plan on showing your horse or even going to a clinic away from the place you board (or your own farm) you will be asked to provide proof of a negative result for a Coggins test taken within the last year. Some places require an updated Coggins every six months.
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Concerning buying and selling......I have always thought the coggins was the responsibility of the seller. Lately I have seen in some ads, the person (seller) stating that it is the responsibility of the buyer. Is there a law somewhere that clarifies who is responsible?
          "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
          or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

12hooves:
            I don't know the legal aspect, but if I were buying I'd be willing to shell out for a Coggins before sealing the deal if there was not a current negative one available. As I recall it's around $40.
            Since owner's information goes on the form the vet fills out I imagine that info would be the seller's?
            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by 12hooves View Post
              Concerning buying and selling......I have always thought the coggins was the responsibility of the seller. Lately I have seen in some ads, the person (seller) stating that it is the responsibility of the buyer. Is there a law somewhere that clarifies who is responsible?
              It depends on your state. Some states don't even require testing for sale. In those that do, you'd have to just look at the statutes to see. A good overview is here. It's several years old, but it will give you a statute number to start with if you are researching.

However, as a buyer, I always have my own Coggins drawn even if the seller has one. They're cheap, and way too easy to falsify.
              Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Originally posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
                . . . . as the disease is highly contagious.
                I don't think EIA is regarded as highly contagious. There have been cases of horses living on the same farm with an EIA infected horse for years, with the non-infected horse never becoming infected.

Comment

Coggins testing is not require in-state for California. You *can* transport to Nevada or Arizona without getting a coggins but technically you are required when crossing out of state.

I've yet to find any legal authority (police/ boarder) caring to see a coggins test. Only once in AZ was I asked to show coggins and that was when moving out here.

There is obviously controversy with the testing.

Comment

FYI, the name "Coggins" comes from Dr. Coggins who developed the test that is how the name came about
                    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

In the state of NC it is the SELLER's responsiblilty to provide a negative Coggins within one year. If a buyer wants a more recent one, I would expect the buyer to pay for it. I suspect this is a state by state requirement.
                      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSTB View Post
                        Coggins testing is not require in-state for California. You *can* transport to Nevada or Arizona without getting a coggins but technically you are required when crossing out of state.

I've yet to find any legal authority (police/ boarder) caring to see a coggins test. Only once in AZ was I asked to show coggins and that was when moving out here.

There is obviously controversy with the testing.

You'd better not go in or out of Florida then!!! You will DEFINITELY have to stop at the Ag station and show proof of negative coggins as well as a health certificate within 30 days to go in or out of Florida!!
                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Each state has its own laws regarding when a horse requires one. Some states require 2 per year.

In Michigan, they have a "13 month" year. This allows people to test in December to show in early January. A horse tested in December has VERY little chance of contracting EIA before Jan. So, testing a horse in December of one year, carries through the following calendar year - hence 13 months.

As a buyer - if the last coggins test was done during the winter and it hasn't warmed up enough for biting flies which carry EIA, then I'm satisfied with that one. If the last coggins was drawn and there has been warm weather since - then I insist on a new Coggins test. I am also willing to have it done as a buyer because THEN the paperwork (Federal Government standardized) is in MY name - not the last owner's name.

My purchase agreements ALWAYS include a right of full refund in the event the horse tests positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kementari View Post
                            It depends on your state. Some states don't even require testing for sale. In those that do, you'd have to just look at the statutes to see. A good overview is here. It's several years old, but it will give you a statute number to start with if you are researching.

However, as a buyer, I always have my own Coggins drawn even if the seller has one. They're cheap, and way too easy to falsify.
                            Thanks for the info. For Florida it is the seller's responsibility as I thought. That's a good idea to get a new coggins, as a buyer, though. Since even if it is the true coggins, It only means the horse was negative on the day they drew the blood, right?

Comment

Originally posted by shawneeAcres View Post
                              You'd better not go in or out of Florida then!!! You will DEFINITELY have to stop at the Ag station and show proof of negative coggins as well as a health certificate within 30 days to go in or out of Florida!!
                              You got that right! Better stop even if your trailer is empty.

Comment

Thanks for the info. For Florida it is the seller's responsibility as I thought. That's a good idea to get a new coggins, as a buyer, though. Since even if it is the true coggins, It only means the horse was negative on the day they drew the blood, right?

That's correct, and one of the weak links in the process. Theoretically a horse could get a Coggin's test drawn one day and the next become infected, and be exposed to other horses for a year without anyone knowing. As a precaution (I live in Florida, and actually had a positive horse years ago who had to be destroyed) I always insist on a new coggins at sale time. Other than that, though, I try not to worry about it, as it's not as common as it was back in the 70's and early 80's thanks to the testing program.

In Florida, you have to show your coggins at show grounds in order to gain entrance, and some barns require a fresh test before admitting you for stabling (most just require you to be current, though). And yes, the Florida Dept. of Agriculture is rabid, and not only about coggins. It's because we're a border state at high risk for infections and invasive species, so they're extra careful and receive extra funding for enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by shawneeAcres View Post
                                  Yes- Florida is really on top of livestock and argiculture transportation. Arizona usually is too. Southern Cali *in-state* is not when it comes to horses.

I pull 15 day health cert on my horses going out of state- coggins is typically turned around in 7-10 days so it's easy to swing by the vet and pick up a cert rather quickly. But I am certainly not the norm around here (So Cal).

In New England- Coggins was drawn yearly but the only time I ever had to show results was at shows and a few hunter paces. What always got me was at Equine Affaire though- I would bring in state horses- but health certs and coggins were not a requirement according to state law. Go figure! Only horses travel from out of state had to bring such documentation. I always had it regardless but still at least a health cert should be asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
                                    I don't think EIA is regarded as highly contagious. There have been cases of horses living on the same farm with an EIA infected horse for years, with the non-infected horse never becoming infected.
                                    I consider anything that can be spread by fly bites highly contagious. If it wasn't, then what would be the need of having proof of a negative test result?

Comment

Originally posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
                                      I consider anything that can be spread by fly bites highly contagious. If it wasn't, then what would be the need of having proof of a negative test result?
                                      The way a disease is spread and how contagious it is are two completely different issues.

A horse showing clinical symptoms of EIA is very contagious. An inapparent carrier, though - and most positive tests are horses who are inapparent carriers - is not very contagious at all. It's estimated that the chance of a fly biting an inapparent carrier and then transmitting the disease to another horse is 1 in 6 million.

Additionally, the virus cannot live long or continue to replicate once it is outside of the horse, so even a horse at its most contagious is only likely to infect horses that are quite close by.

The reason for the testing requirements is because there is no cure and no vaccine. The disease used to be very prevalent in the US - and quite deadly. Testing is the reason that so many of us don't know all the facts about EIA through personal experience.
                                      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

In TN, any horse that leaves the farm is required to be accompanied by an original yellow negative coggins drawn within 12 months. For sale, horses are required to have a coggins within 6 months.

I don't cross state lines without a coggins AND current health papers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X