• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do YOU manage ringbone in your horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU manage ringbone in your horse?

After 2 weeks of intermittent lameness (ranging from "just a bit off" to hobbling) my 20something pony was diagnosed with ringbone. Pony is used by the trainer in my barn for walk/trot lessons 3 or 4 times a week and he occasionally (very happily) is allowed to canter a barrel pattern once or twice. The rest of the time he is on 24-7 turnout. He is a barn favorite for the beginners and really seems to enjoy his work. We would love to keep him useful, if at all possible. However, if he can not work another day in his life he will live out the rest of his years with me. I'm currently discussing shoeing/trimming options with my vet and blacksmith (who is a wonderfully awesome corrective shoer!!). So, I'm just wondering what others have done to manage ringbone.
    On the 8th day God created the Quarter Horse. On the 9th day, he Painted the good ones.

A friend's mare had ringbone. They found special shoes with pads helped relieve some pain, and the mare gets bute the days she will be ridden. With both she is perfectly sound and happy to work.

Comment

High? Low? Articular or non? Low articular is the worst, high non-articular the "best".

Comment

• Original Poster

Whoops - to clarify, high, non-articular.
        On the 8th day God created the Quarter Horse. On the 9th day, he Painted the good ones.

Comment

It's basically trial and error. There are a lot of treatments, but all won't help every horse.

If the corrective shoes don't cut it, there are lots of options. You could try Adequan or Legend, although I wouldn't expect much success there. You could try Surpass, which I would have high hopes for with high, non-articular. If that failed, I'd try a systemic NSAID like bute, banamine, or previcox/equioxx. I might also talk to the vet about Tildren if that failed.

Comment

Shockwave.
            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
              Shockwave.
              Have you seen this make a physiological difference?

As it has been described to me, it doesn't do much for pastern joints, other than making them numb for a bit.
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Mine are both serviceably sound (as in, fine for light riders on the flat, do not appear lame when trotting) on BL pellets and plenty of turnout. I did learn that hilly turnout = lame horses. Turnout must be flat.

Comment

Mine is basically retired after being diagnosed in 2004. Xrays taken in 06 and 2010 have shown no progression. She gets ridden at a walk (and she jigs a lot) on hacks when the ground is soft and is doing very well on 57 mg of Previcox daily.

I can't remember now if it is articular or not. First vet was all doom and gloom, second vet in 2010 was not. I think 2nd vet concluded it was both high and low but non articular. No jumping for her since 2004 and she used to just love it. BUT she is still with us... and most of the time, not gimpy!

Comment

I would start with 20 g msm, Previcox, corrective shoes/trim, and Adequan/Pentosan. Give a month off with 24/7 turnout, maybe some short walking rides, and re-evualate in a month.
                    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

From a barefoot perspective..and i've helped a number of horses be more comfortable with ringbone that were barefoot...make sure flares are addressed and a good roll on the walls to help with easy breakover. I've seen that much, as basic and as simple as it is, make a huge difference in a horse's comfort when there were flares and a flat edge to the wall rather than a bevel or roll.

Comment

One shockwave treatment per year concurrent with a loading dose of Pentosan and corrective shoeing has kept my older guy sound enough to continue schooling upper level dressage. In winter he might need a bit of Previcox now and then. Mine has navicular changes as well. This year I think we might get an extra month or two since I usually treat him in August and right now he is still sound even in his warm up trot.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                          Have you seen this make a physiological difference?

As it has been described to me, it doesn't do much for pastern joints, other than making them numb for a bit.
                          I have a friend with a huge dressage schoolmaster who is now 27. He's had super gnarly ringbone for years. Our very experienced lameness vet (Virginia Equine Imaging) has found shockwave to be the intervention that consistently gives him relief - the time frame has shortened as he's gotten older, and I think he goes every 3 months now ...but the vet has said he's amazed he can even walk given his X-rays.
                          The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Ring bone is AO of the pastern joint. The arthritis generally progresses slowly and causes waxing and waning low grade lameness. Unless the horse was very stoic and the damage was very severe I would not expect to see the horse go from mildly off of hobbling lame. There could collateral ligament damage which would hasten the ringbone. I would have the horse seen by the vet and possibly ultrasounded. MRI is the best way to assess though.

Managing ringbone shoeing that eases the breakover, sometimes pads help. Injecting the joint with HA and steroid. Injecting the joint with a series of IRAP, supported with a loading dose of adequan. Possibly trildren. Bute or previcox.

My ringbone horse responded beautifully to IRAP and loading dose of adequan as well as five week shoeing program.

Comment

My old guy has low ringbone, articular. He's 24. Had fusion surgery in 2001...still has the hardware...and returned to show serviceable sound on the flat for another 9 years before he was retired. The pastern looks lumpy from the surgery, but he's comfy in his retirement and that's what matters. And he is still sound enough to hack out when I want to.
                              "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                              -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Eyed Tovero View Post
                                Whoops - to clarify, high, non-articular.
                                My mare has the same, as well as low, non-articular. I rode her carefully (as in, we did trails and some hunter paces - no jumping, not much cantering) until she was consistently lame. I knew when I bought her that it was a definite possibility (she's half draft, and not the best conformation) so we took rads every year of those front feet. When she finally went totally lame, we (my vet and I) chose to infuse those joints in several different spots with a combo of ethyl alcohol, steroid and a numbing med (I think it was lidocaine - would have to check). My vet told me to turn her out and not even look at her for 4 weeks. (He meant, don't watch her move and try to analyze if it was working.) I did nothing else with her - basically she was just a horse - 12+ hours turnout per day, no riding, no hand walking, etc - for about 6 months before I put her on a longe to just evaluate (walk with just a small bit of trot). 3 months later she was completely sound - walk, trot and canter in the field. Xrays showed complete fusion - and thankfully it was non-articular so once fused, she was fine. I do keep her shod on the front, just in regular steel shoes, for some support and she's on both a joint and anti-inflammatory OTC supplements but no bute at all. Her left front is a bit thicker than the right, but really from her behavior, you'd never know she had been so lame. So far, so good. I ride 3x per week - trails.

At the time, my vet actually suggested that my mare would be a great candidate for denerving surgery, but I didn't even consider it.

Good luck!
                                Last edited by spotteddrafter; Jul. 15, 2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: added a bit
                                “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Comment

My 24 yr old gelding is on turnout in a field with another horse 24 hours a day. That alone has made a huge difference. Moving around all the time has really improved his soundness and flexibility. Before we moved here (when I retired) we had our horses in LA and didn't have this kind of space for turnout. We used IRAP very successfully with him at the time. He's barefoot now and being consistently on turnout has made him look SO much better. He has regained his position of "top horse" and tells our other two horses what to do- when to eat etc. They totally respect him. So he has a job now too!

Comment

Working...
                                  X