• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can underrun heels be fixed--how long does it take????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the barn farrier(not sure if I trust him) said that horses with under run heels have a syndrome and are genetically born that way and will always be that way.
    I think the above statement would have me questioning that particular farrier's ability or knowledge.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Originally posted by bluecharm7 View Post
      I have asked and the answer was something to do with correctly balancing his hoof and the change in the hoof angle. I don't remember his exact words.
      So you admit really weren't paying attention to exactly what he said or for some reason you were uncomfortable with the idea of asking him to elaborate on his explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post
        It can be caused by distal descent.
        Gravity is a cold hearted bitch.

Comment

While you do need to be knowledgeable with horse hoof care, I do consider my farrier to be an expert and I treat him as such. I did have a horse with crushed heels (as Tom Bloomer says it doesn't take much to get there, and the trimmer I was using was "trying to make it better" but it wasn't happening).

I am not sure what experts on the internet say but I had shoes put on, no wedges, and we were able to gradually fix it but he was immediately more comfortable. It was recommended by my vet.

Second horse, same trimmer and both TBs, same thing but not crushed but under run. Same fix, just had two very good farriers and I had them done every four weeks so that we could pro actively make the change.

I would just ask the potential farrier if he has experience with under run heels and go from there. Tom, do you feel wedge pads would help or hinder the situation? I am not a farrier and didn't use them or have them recommended for mine so I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
            I would hate to see what those yearlings hooves look like if they are not trimmed until they are over a year old! Foals start getting farrier work when they are 30 days old.
            Actually the majority of the transient yearlings that I see have remarkably good conformation and their feet, though not maintained by humans, do appear to be rather well self trimmed. They are raised in groups in huge fields (think miles not acres) in Kentucky and Florida and they run fast and play hard all day long. I've had the pleasure of working on some TB yearlings that cost more than any mortgage I could ever hope to afford. Their symmetry and correctness is simply stunning. And trimming their feet is fairly simple because there are no flares and distortion to dress, just make a pass with the nippers and finish off the bevel with a rasp. OTOH I also see plenty with poor conformation and the feet require constant attention to maintain a gathered up foot. And a good portion of them never make it on the track and wind up as an OTTB show horse prospect.

Comment

I'm curious to where in ky and what farms do that. Since i live in ky and have worked for a few major breeding farms

Comment

Where are you located? Maybe someone can give you a farriers name that could help you. Also, like I said my farrier did not suggest wedge pads.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Originally posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
                  I'm curious to where in ky and what farms do that. Since i live in ky and have worked for a few major breeding farms
                  When you find out you let me know. All I know is that they came from "the sale." I don't get any history on them and usually don't know the owner. They are transients that are boarded for 90 days at a facility I service. I see them 3 times in 3 months then off they go to the trainer.

Most of them it is pretty obvious that they have had no handling at all. That makes my job easier because I don't have to deal with any bad habits. After I have seen them 3 times, they stand ground tied to have their feet trimmed and they will follow on a lead rope without taking the slack out of the rope. Oh, yea, and their feet look rather well manicured.

Comment

OP in reply to your question, your gelding has long sloping pasterns so will most likely gravitate towards long toes, low/underrun/crushed heels really quick if not managed properly. So no... I don't believe your gelding can be "fixed" but I bet the right farrier can manage him well. Ask me how I know this...I have battled this with my gelding forever. I have gone through 4 farriers and I finally think I have the guy that knows how to manage him.

I would ask any possible new farrier prospect how he would manage your gelding. Use that article I posted on your other thread as a guide to help you decided if he/she will be the farrier for your horse. Tom is a great source of information as well. Have you tried to contact the other name he gave you on the other thread? I've heard that wedge shoes can further crush the heels because they only add to the pressure put on them, but I've also heard that a wedge pad with the proper frog support (to more evenly distribute the weight) can be of benefit. So I guess it would depend on how that particular farrier was going to skin his cat.

eta: I am not an expert or a farrier. I write this from my own personal experience with my gelding who has conformation similar to your guy and similar problems regarding LTLH's.
                    Last edited by BoyleHeightsKid; Jun. 7, 2013, 11:24 AM.
                    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

The horizontal lines are another sign of a metabolic insult.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginique View Post
                        Here's a good site for helping you understand proper trimming. Underrun heels are simply a result of poor trimming and can be fixed!
                        www.enlightenedequine.com
                        Apologies for the direct reprimand, but you are wrong.

Once sunk and displaced, can't fight gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post
                          . . . Once sunk and displaced, can't fight gravity.
                          That's why they invented spandex. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Tom, can you explain why -- if formerly more upright/ less acute heel tubules can be pulled forward/ more acute -- it is not possible to reorient the prevailing growth? As in, if the horse is not born with underrun heels, why can't they they be returned to correct?

Comment

Tom - speaking from experience, it can be a struggle to find the right farrier. And it can be very difficult for even an experienced horse person to know if a farrier is spewing a bunch of BS in response to questions, or if the answers are well-grounded. Vets don't like to give input on farriers, either, because that puts them in a potentially awkward position.

And, generally speaking, I've found that a lot of farriers (including some of the very best), can be a little, ahem, abrasive. That can lead to people not wanting to ask questions, or it can make people so nervous that they are afraid to ask follow up questions. Not that you would EVER dream of being abrasive, but I'm sure you can empathize with the OP's position and some of her questions here, right?

So if you are inclined to comment with your opinions, maybe you could be a little bit kinder to the OP? I don't think she is "blaming" farriers or otherwise ignoring her current farrier when she asks questions. I think she doesn't know what to look for, doesn't know the right questions to ask, and isn't sure how to ask follow up questions when the answers she gets don't make sense.

Of all areas associated with horses, I think hoof care is the most difficult to get straight answers about and also one of the most complicated. It is also one of the most important, so please don't drive the OP away when she is trying to make good decisions for her horse with the limited information and options available.

Comment

Originally posted by baxtersmom View Post
                                Tom, can you explain why -- if formerly more upright/ less acute heel tubules can be pulled forward/ more acute -- it is not possible to reorient the prevailing growth? As in, if the horse is not born with underrun heels, why can't they they be returned to correct?
                                Two different situations and two different directions. If a horse is born with heel tubules naturally oriented forward and inward instead of radiating outward from the origin of growth, you can't change DNA.

All heels (assuming no flexural deformity) will eventually fold forward under weight bearing against their own leverage if they are left to grow too long and not trimmed. Reducing the leverage by trimming the heels short and allowing the frog to load usually turns these situations around rather quickly.

But the tubular orientation as it projects in radians from the coronary band is going to produce the horn in a straight line at each radian. If the natural orientation of said radian is inward rather than outward, the folding inward leverage potential exists at the moment of mitosis even before the horn is fully cornfield and able to withstand pressure. Conversely, outwaard projecting tubules are better oriented to withstand crushing forces because the force is directed outward away from the center of the hoof instead of inward toward the center. That is a very distinct difference and it is not something that most folks who claim to have fixed underrun heels actually document in their testimonial case history.

Comment

The changes in the coronary band cannot be reversed. I believe we will soon see this is the root of all evil in the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                    Tom - speaking from experience, it can be a struggle to find the right farrier. And it can be very difficult for even an experienced horse person to know if a farrier is spewing a bunch of BS in response to questions, or if the answers are well-grounded.
                                    That is why it is better to ask a farrier to explain their plan of action and the results they predict they will achieve, how long they expect it to take, and how confident their plan is going to work. No different than asking a vet for a diagnosis and a prognosis based on their recommended treatment. A prognosis is a prediction of performance under a given set of conditions and constraints. In either case, vet or farrier, you have the before and after results against which you can judge whether or not they are making progress. Good progress speaks for itself. Bad progress requires and explanation and often a change in the plan of action.

Vets don't like to give input on farriers, either, because that puts them in a potentially awkward position.
                                    If you are going to ask a vet for a farrier referral, you should start by telling the vet you have already decided to look for a different farrier - which means you have made it very clear to your current farrier that you have terminated he business relationship and you have paid them in full for services rendered to date of termination. You don't even have to tell them why. That way when you talk to a vet you don't put them in a position where they have to recommend that you switch farriers. It is even better if you don't identify who your previous farrier is. Make it easy for them to be objective.

And, generally speaking, I've found that a lot of farriers (including some of the very best), can be a little, ahem, abrasive. That can lead to people not wanting to ask questions, or it can make people so nervous that they are afraid to ask follow up questions.
                                    If you are going to have a serious conversation with your farrier and you want them to invest their time educating you, I suggest that you make an appointment specifically for that purpose. You might even give them an idea of what topics you want to discuss. That gives the farrier a chance to prepare, perhaps bring a text book or some reference material to show you that helps to explain the topic. If you read an article somewhere, get a copy of the article to the farrier so he or she can see it in advance and have a chance to evaluate it and prepare a response.

Not that you would EVER dream of being abrasive, but I'm sure you can empathize with the OP's position and some of her questions here, right?
                                    I can be abrasive when a horse owner asks me questions and then doesn't want to actually hear my answer. I carry a preserved hoof cadaver and a full set of bones from the lower limb of a horse. I am prepared to engage my clients and fully explore their questions in detail. But if a client has questions about an article they read, I want to see the article. If they did not bring a copy of the article, then I cannot expect them to have total recall word for word of what the article says or who wrote it. All they have is an "impression" they got reading something. If I start asking specific questions about the article, eventually the client realizes that they really are not prepared for the discussion. Usually the dialog ends right there because they can't be specific about any questions they have. FACT - they want emotional reassurance, not technical details. A client that is truly seeking education will do homework. If I tell them to check out http://safergrass.org for answers to their questions on forage for laminitic horses, then a few months later they are asking me the same questions, but never went to the web site and did the homework, why should I waste my time?
                                    So if you are inclined to comment with your opinions, maybe you could be a little bit kinder to the OP? I don't think she is "blaming" farriers or otherwise ignoring her current farrier when she asks questions. I think she doesn't know what to look for, doesn't know the right questions to ask, and isn't sure how to ask follow up questions when the answers she gets don't make sense.
                                    That is why I suggest that people not engage in discussions of technique and protocol and how to. You don't have the chops to evaluate that stuff anyway. It is about the horse. Are you going to make my horse more comfortable? If so, how long do you expect it to take? What will you do if you plan doesn't work? Either they deliver the results they promise or the don't. If they can't deliver what they promised, they should have a very good explanation for what went wrong. If it was obviously something beyond their control, then that should be clear to you and to them. Other than that, they should stand behind their work.

Of all areas associated with horses, I think hoof care is the most difficult to get straight answers about and also one of the most complicated.
                                    It is also the most price conscious and the one where everybody knows more than the farrier and is perfectly willing to give advice for how their cousin's ex-husbands uncle did it one time using a backwards shoe and a can of used motor oil. It is the one where a nice guy that doesn't charge a lot can have a life long career with many happy customers despite leaving behind crippled horses - they have mastered the art of the excuse and they will use whatever shoe or pad you tell them to use and trim to whatever angle you tell them to trim. Plenty of cheap contract labor. And they have plenty of business. And people will make excuses for them like - "it is impossible to keep shoes on my horse - my farrier is the best around and if he can't do it, well it can't be done." Why would a competent farrier want to compete with that situation?

It is also one of the most important, so please don't drive the OP away when she is trying to make good decisions for her horse with the limited information and options available.
                                    Well then the op needs to focus on results instead of appliances and protocols. A professional should be able to predict their results and deliver them with a high degree of success and an extremely low threshold for excuses. Their work should speak for itself.

Comment

OP, try not to fret! I bought a 2 year old with fine feet....however, after many barefoot trims and "certain" farriers my mare was in your horses situation. It is my fault b/c I knew how she was trimmed was off but I did not trust my gut....anyway, my mare now (5 yrs old) has front shoes and has a heel and is doing just fine....

My farrier never put wedges on or anything like that.....just shod so mare's heel could grow....

I do wonder how much damage I did to her feet b/c I did not have the right farrier........so she was getting trimmed while she was growing and I think how she was trimmed changed her "conformation." ..... I say this b/c I went back to photos of mare before I bought her and there was NO sign of underrun heels (like yours)....none.....

My point is that there is hope!!!!!! Trust your gut......

n

Comment

yes you can fix it but only if you educate YOURSELF about holistic management

start educating yourself about how people transition to barefoot-start by googling pete ramey and gene ovnicek. you will have to address his exercise, diet, and turnout as well as your hoof-care professional, but it CAN be done. Search for barefoot hoof care to understand how, even if you don't plan on going/staying bare. Farriers usually say it's impossible because it's not so much the job on the hooves that has to change, although that's part, but the owner has to be very motivated to make and retain changes in those other areas i mentioned. but there are so many success stories for underrun heels, in barefootland, that you should stay optimistic. the education and changes may be a pain in the rear, to start out with, but in the long run will cut your horsekeeping costs in half, as well as steering you towards lifetime soundness. Go to it!
                                        if you want to know more after blackburn gets done reeming me, ask!
                                        (new to the chronicle but not to the horses)

Comment

That's funny. Gene Ovnicek delivered a lecture on the topic at the IHCS a few years ago where he indicated that he could not redirect the horn tubule from inward to outward orientation despite taking drastic measures. It was a rather thorough study that covered several horses over a significant period of time.

It helps to actually know your source and actually be familiar with their research before making a reference to it in a public forum. Especially when what you post is exactly the opposite of the findings of the research.

I was there in person . . .

I'm not going to ream you so you can stop bending over and pull your pats back up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X