• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Euthanasia -- W/ or W/O Anesthesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been present for several euths. ANd the ONLY one that was somewhat traumatic was the one without tranq. There was a very brief look of fear in his eyes. And that is something that will haunt me forever
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Comment

"With" is my decision, my vet even sedated my mare (who wasn't being put down) upon my request so she could be with her pasture companion who was being put down. Neither horse was upset this way, it was very quick and peaceful, my mare stood in her stall lighted sedated while we took her companion out in front of the barn also sedated, each could see each other then she was put to sleep. I brought my mare out to sniff the body of her friend, my mare let out a sigh then I took her for a walk while the back ho was brought in so she wouldn't see that part. My vet felt it was important for my mare to understand her friend was no longer with us, and by doing it this way it felt like my mare understood & had closure. My thoughts & prayers are with you, this is never an easy thing to do, no matter how it's done. But you're doing the kindest thing for your horse, to end their suffering is a very noble and unselfish thing, may you heart heal soon, Lisa

Comment

With sedation.
        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Personally our vet is a with sedation type, so all of ours are sedated first. Nobody has struggled we had one that went down not so gracefully but she had broken a hind leg, and we had to euthanize her where we found her which was on a hill. She was gone though by the time she was falling. I would definately go though with however your vet is most used to and comfortable doing it. I would hate to have a vet that isn't used to sedating do it that way when they may be unsure of the mixture, and vice versa. You want the process to be textbook for how the vet does it.

Comment

"With"

and this thread should be saved/stickied/bronzed. It's extremely important topic.

Comment

I vote "with", if I have to resort to chemical means. In a real emergency, rather than make a beloved friend wait on a vet who may be an hour or more away, then a well placed shot, yes. MUCH harder on me, but much kinder than suffering.

I agree the Mods would do well to put this in a sticky - as well as a previous thread that contained accurate instructions on how to put down a horse with a bullet.

Perhaps if this gelding's owner had known better, the horse would be peacefully dead, instead of losing an eye and having irreparable damage and still alive - and abandoned.
              http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12954
              Homesick Angels Farm
              breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
              standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
              www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

Sedation First. It is easier on the animal and the Human watching. When we put Cloudy down in September we had him sedated first.
                When my friend put her horse down two years ago the horse was not sedated and struggled and fought. She had a very hard time dealing with it.
                With sedation it just seems a little more peaceful and there isn't much of a chance the horse fighting it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdAblurr02 View Post

Perhaps if this gelding's owner had known better, the horse would be peacefully dead, instead of losing an eye and having irreparable damage and still alive - and abandoned.
                  http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12954
                  We euthanized a goat a few weeks ago - with a firearm. (emergency euthanasia) It was over in an instant and was very humane - but it only works if you know what you're doing! That poor horse!
                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The OP asked about anesthesia, not sedation. If I understand it correctly:

Sedation leaves the horse standing as though a procedure is being performed.
                    Anesthesia lays the horse down as though surgery is being performed.

I prefer sedation and anesthesia. If a horse is under a proper anesthesia there should be adequate blood supply for the euthanol to circulate.

Comment

Don't know what drug is better than the next but I can tell you that if you are going to be present give the horse something.

My Tb filly was put down in an emergency due to catastrophic injury. No nice drugs just one lethal injection and run. Run because she leaped up into the air and came crashing down. Vet said she was dead when she hit the ground.

Try getting that crap out of your head. The look on her face, the leap in the air, the crash and then waiting for her body to die after.
                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

I have been there for 4 horses being crossed over. All were laid down as if to have surgery first ,with the exception of the one 2 weeks ago. They all went very peacefully ,and it couldn't have taken more than a minute.by the time I said the Lord's Prayer,they were gone.
                        The most recent one was an old pony who was colicing very badly and although he had been sedated about an hour before he was euthanized ,we took him out by the woods and let him lay down on his own .he was so sick by then he just wanted to lay down ,and he stayed there without struggle while the vet gave him the pink stuff.
                        I think the anesthesia made it easier on everyone.I am not sure what was used ,but the vet took the halter and gently rocked the horse back so he sat down ,and went easily to the ground .
                        I definately think that is the kindest way to go. I also had 2 cats PTS in the same manner.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                          With. Never without I am sorry.

When we put Killian down, I was able to sedate him so thoroughly that when the vet got here, he was already laying down. What a blessing that was in a time where even the smallest preservation of grace is a gift.
                          Not only grace but dignity. When it's his time I'll make sure he is given this final gift. Like the idea of having him already sedated. Thanks, EqTrainer, for your wisdom especially at this painful time. I will heed yours (& almost everyone else's) and sedate him heavily. He, too, is a very reactive, cautious, hot horse. I am already worried about how to get him close enough to his resting spot w/o stressing him. He can barely move and at 18H he's a big boy. Monday, the 3rd, has been scheduled.
                          Susan B.
                          http://canterberrymeadows.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kareen View Post
                            Those extra couple-ten bucks are nothing
                            That's what caught my attention. There was a $100 difference in fees between anesthesia and none. No matter. He is a super kind, curteous horse who has given much. A few more $$ is non-essential.
                            Susan B.
                            http://canterberrymeadows.com/

Comment

So sorry you are facing this decision, but you are doing the right thing.
                              Go with sedation. I and another close friend who is also a horsewoman, helped a dear friend put down her two elderly jumpers, on the same day, a few years back. We groomed them, wove feathers into their manes, and my friend told each horse how much he had meant to her. They were both failing, and the decision to let them both go on the same day was not an easy one, but a kind one for both horses, and ultimately for my friend it was best to know they wer together as they went to the next chapter.
                              The vet we all use is a compassionate horseman (so many are, thank goodness) and we led them to the chosen spot, tranquilized both, and then euthanized them one at a time, with my friend holding their heads. It was a peaceful transition, no struggle as the mighty hearts were given permission to stop.

I will never forget that day, and was glad the horses were sedated, for it was as if they lay down for a nap on the grass, and their souls rose up to gallop away, sound and happy. Be at peace with your wise decision to help your old friend.
                              What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Comment

NCSue: So sorry you are facing this issue. Thank you for being the kind of owner that cares SO much how to make your boy's last moments peaceful.

And Thank You for being the type to consider comfort over cost. You will not be sorry for your choice.

Prayers that your horse goes peacefully and with the dignity he deserves. And prayers for you to find comfort.
                                I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Comment

With sedation.

My daughter's precious pony, Lexi, was laid to rest on March 26th of this year. She was critically injured and despite months of rehabilitation, surgery, and every procedure I could possibly find...our precious, white princess pony just couldn't be healed.

She went to sleep in my arms, with her head cradled in my husbands hands, and then she gently laid down. She was completely asleep as the drugs were administered to euthanize her. It was very peaceful except for my extreme scream after she was gone. She had much more dignity about it then I displayed for sure.

I wonder if I will ever be able to speak (or type) about her without crying.
                                  I miss her...with every ounce of my being, I miss her.

Cyber hugs to you as you contemplate and complete this necessary, but very sad process.

Comment

{HUGS} to everyone on this thread who has lost their beloved companions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sobriska View Post
                                      I have been present for several euths. ANd the ONLY one that was somewhat traumatic was the one without tranq. There was a very brief look of fear in his eyes. And that is something that will haunt me forever
                                      Ugh...I've seen that look and it will haunt me as well. It wasn't a horse it was my mothers sweet little Dobe who had bloated and twisted...she was 14 and not a candidate for surgery Luckily my mother was not the one looking her in the eye, I wouldn't have wanted her to see it. I almost equate to a look of recognition and all I could do was say "I'm sorry".

RIP Mabel Black Label
                                      "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

Working...
                                      X