• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sudden Vision Problems. Been to the vet. Looking for ideas/similar experiences. LONG.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

It seems odd since Somerset is 13 and nothing ever showed up before a few weeks ago I feel better that at least I am doing something (bloodwork) even if I am no closer to an answer right now.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• Original Poster

Now I am even more confused. Most of the bloodwork is back...

CBC/Chemistry <-- normal
      Lyme Disease <-- negative
      EPM <-- tested for exposure, 400 titer (1-500 is considered exposure)
      Thyroid Panel <-- normal
      PSSM Type 1 [not back yet]
      Leptospirosis <-- negative
      Cushing/Insulin <-- normal
      Selenium <-- normal
      Vitamin E [Not back yet]

The only finding of any significance is low white blood cell count, like he's fighting an infection. But no real positive hits on any of the more specific tests except that he's been exposed to EPM like most of the horses in this country?!
      ~Veronica

Comment

I am glad you are doing/have done veterinary workups but seriously, WTF on the 'By this point I was in screaming pain and pretty concerned. I went into the indoor and with my trainer's help we basically BEAT him over a crossrail so as not to end on a stop.'.
        That was inexcusably poor horsemanship. You and your trainer should have been beaten, for not realizing sooner that this was NOT a behavior problem. I try to be helpful when I am posting on CoTH, but seriously, both humans really let this horse down by not looking for a physical problem before beating the pooor horse.
        Jeanie
        RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sdlbredfan View Post
          I am glad you are doing/have done veterinary workups but seriously, WTF on the 'By this point I was in screaming pain and pretty concerned. I went into the indoor and with my trainer's help we basically BEAT him over a crossrail so as not to end on a stop.'.
          That was inexcusably poor horsemanship. You and your trainer should have been beaten, for not realizing sooner that this was NOT a behavior problem. I try to be helpful when I am posting on CoTH, but seriously, both humans really let this horse down by not looking for a physical problem before beating the pooor horse.

Did you read post 29?

Short of having psychic powers, which I unluckily DO NOT have... I really couldn't tell there was a physical problem UNTIL I couldn't get him over a crossrail.

And beating consisted of a smack with a crop behind my leg and be growling at him.
          ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
            My mare has severely compromised vision in both eyes as well. It started, behavior wise, as balking while being lead. Eventually progressed to running backwards under saddle. This mare is normally a saint, I knew she had slight vision loss but it really progressed quickly.

She adjusted and is now once again her perfect self. Easiest horse to ride on the farm. He WILL adjust to this, but this is sudden to him too and it is scary. He has no idea what is going on/why he can't see. He will learn to work around his compromised vision and will get a lot better, but I would say his jumping days are over sadly.

Not to split hairs, I have always had a lot of respect for you as a poster, but sometimes when a horse says NO repeatedly when he never normally does, we need to just take his word for it. Not practically beat him over a cross rail to end on a good note, to me it just isn't worth it. I really got after Casey when she was balking with a dressage whip behind me to instill in her WE DO GO FORWARD. No I didn't beat her or anything like that, but I snapped her pretty good a few times. Once I realized what was going on I felt terrible, we can never really know but after dealing with this problem myself, I now trust a reliable horse when they have a huge behavioral change to ask my vet first and work it out on a different day if the vet doesn't find anything. I don't know, guess I worry about it now after experiencing it with her.

I am sorry you're going through this, keep us posted and best of luck!
            I agree with this. I am glad someone else thought the same thing I did, that it was a horsemanship 101 fail, not to think first of a physical problems, when a horse does something so completely uncharacteristic.
            ETA, the forum was acting flaky and would not display page 2, so I did miss post number 29. I am very glad it was only 'emphatic insistence' rather than actually beating the horse. I am sorry you took offense, but next time might want to try writing with more precision.

I hope a firm diagnosis and treatment will come along soon. Good luck and keep us posted!
            Last edited by sdlbredfan; Jun. 10, 2013, 11:41 PM. Reason: clarity
            Jeanie
            RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sdlbredfan View Post
              Got cut off, COTH seems to be going in and out tonight.

Did you read post 29?

Short of having psychic powers, which I unluckily DO NOT have... I really couldn't tell there was a physical problem UNTIL I couldn't get him over a crossrail.

And "beating him over a crossrail" consisted of a smack with a crop behind my leg and me growling at him. I did not literally BEAT him. I got him over the crossrail by being forceful. Probably less forceful than every.single.person I've even seen hit a horse with a cros at a show. I'm pretty gentle by nature, never use the crop, and just using it was pretty significant to him. I hardly BEAT him, literally.

But I already explained this in post 29.

I used poor language to describe the situation, but I stand by what happened (until we got in and tried to jump the crossrail it was not clear that something was wrong with the horse as opposed to a problem with my riding). I am a naturally timid rider. I can probably count on one hand the number of times in the 5+ years I've owned him that I have hit this horse with a crop. My "getting tough" with a horse is probably most other people's "why don't you use an aid like you're serious."

As soon as it was clear that this was NOT my riding error, I immediately called out the vet. Have spent a fortune already on diagnostics. Dropped everything to take him to multiple vets. Am now going to New Bolton. I have 100% done the best I can by this and all my other horses. I have 2 retired horses that I have and will care for until the day they day. One was unsound essentially from the moment I got him off the track. I never even got to really ride him. I have been paying to board him and my first pony as pasture puffs for over 8 years. They live the life of riley and have everything they could possibly care for. My horses want for nothing. I am kind to them to the point of fault (I am a bit of a timid rider, actually). Ask anyone who knows me if I am capable of striking a horse with force, seriously.

I'm not psychic. I did not add up that stopping once at a show and twice at a lesson, with no other symptoms in a horse that seemed completely sound and had just had his hocks injected, his backed checked, and his saddle reflocked was physical. I challenge you to say you'd have diagnosed the problem as physical with just those details.
              ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

And I will add that I took this horse to one of the preeminent sports medicine vets in this country who has been a team vet for the olympics. HE rode the horse and HE hit the horse with a crop and didn't seem to think it was animal cruelty. And trust me that he's quite a bit stronger and more forceful than I am. When you're trying to decide if a problem is physical or behavioral, sometimes you have to push the horse a little and see what happens. It gave us a clear answer that the issue is not behavioral. But for pushing him a little, we wouldn't have been able to tell that.
                ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, my first post was not my best writing. I was pretty distraught that my heart horse was in distress and acting like he was going blind. There's a fair amount of lack of articulateness there.
                  ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

The board keeps going in/out tonight!
                    ~Veronica

Comment

I'm sorry you have not gotten any answers yet. Have you consulted with a vet that specializes in neuro issues? If it is not an eye issue, I think a neurological issue would be the next thing I would look into.

I would also be talking with as many different vets as possible. When one of my horses came down with unusual symptoms, it took 9 vets before I found one that figured out what was going on. And it wasn't the most experienced vet that finally solved the mystery. Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

I *think* the New Bolton evaluation will be eyes/neuro/general internal medicine. They all seem to be in one department.
                        ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

As an update, Somerset went to New Bolton today and saw Dr. Wotman. She immediately diagnosed him with large corpa nigra cysts in both eyes, but especially large in the right eye. She did not see anything else unusual in either eye, just normal effects of aging. She feels strongly that the cysts are the problem, and cysts on the corpra nigra align PERFECTLY with his symptoms- especially issues going from light to dark and being worse out in the bright sunlight. He is having laser eye surgery at the next possible appointment (July 11th). Thank you all for your brainstorming and support. Even though some of the theories were wrong, they helped me figure out paths to go down and eliminated issues. Now I have a diagnosis and a path forward. Thank you again and I'll post after the surgery and update again.
                          ~Veronica

Comment

YAY!!! A diagnosis. That's what I thought in the first place (corpora nigra).
                            Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes indeed! And of the list of things it could have been... I feel INCREDIBLY powerball-levels of lucky!
                              ~Veronica

Comment

Let us know how it goes. Curious about this issue. I think eye and breathing problems are WAY underemphasized.
                                Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

YAY!! So happy that it's something treatable. Best of luck on the laser surgery!

Comment

Wow, what a great update. I'm so glad New Bolton was able to give you a diagnosis and a solution, as they always have for me. Sorry the eye specialist sent you down the wrong alleys. When I read corpra nigra cysts, I remembered someone had mentioned it early in this thread. Go figure!

Comment

Yay! So thankful for good news and an easy fix with standing surgery!

Comment

I'm so glad you found out what the problem was, and that it's easily treatable. Best of luck for the surgery and recovery.
                                        I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

• Original Poster

Duplicate from my other thread, but I thought I'd update both...

Partial update: Somerset had the laser ablation July 11th. He came home and within days seemed back to his normal self in terms of ground handling. He tolerated the after-surgery medication very well and had no side effects. He is now back in work and slowly building fitness up. He isn't fit enough to really jump yet, and that will be the final test, but as far as I can tell from riding on the flat-- his vision is 100% back to normal. He is back to the confident go anywhere, do anything horse I know. No spooking, no looking at invisible things, no fear of passing jumps, no changes when he goes from a shadowy area to a well-lit one. He also just seems back to his happy, non-nervous self. So far, I am thrilled. I only wish I would have known about the cysts earlier so we could have done the surgery right away. But so far, so good (knock on wood). I am aiming to get him fit enough to go to a show in early September at the venue where this whole thing came to a head in the first place.
                                          ~Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                          X