• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse boots for my barefoot and stone bruise friend, recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse boots for my barefoot and stone bruise friend, recommendations?

Hi. I have never used horse boots before and I want to give them a whirl on my boy as he is barefoot and is on his second stone bruise of the season. Has has been barefoot for two years and I have never had any other issues with him except the occasional stone bruise.

I am thinking of investing in a pair of boots for his front feet. Does anyone have any experience with boots for their horses and make recommendations? I want to do some ringwork, trail riding and light jumping (2- 3 ft tops). Do boots hold up to that?

I found this article which was helpful, but I would prefer someone with experience to weigh in here.

http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots...aspx#&panel1-1

Thank you!

http://www.cavallo-inc.com/us/Hoof-B...ple-Hoof-Boots
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Comment

We're transitioning my horse to barefoot right now, and I mostly have him in the Easyboot Glove. We've done some glue-ons as well. I haven't tried other types of boots because the gloves fit him well and stay on. He's the type to remove anything put on him and to easily get rubs - and they don't bother him and he can work well in them. I'm lucky that we have an EasyCare in town which just makes life easier. The folks are pretty knowledgeable, and if you call for help you probably end up getting the same folks I talk to in person who can help you figure out what you need.
      Originally posted by Silverbridge
      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Also - the CEO of EasyBoot and several employees do endurance. Including winning Tevis in them. I think that's harder than what most of us are going to submit our horses to!
        Originally posted by Silverbridge
        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

i like the easyboot edge and the insoles. BUT my horse gets bruised and the vet said keep shoes on him. B/c he gets them even in the field. Good luck to you.

Comment

I have Cavallo hoof boots for trail riding my barefoot guy because a good chunk of our trails are rocky. I like them but feel like they are too clunky to do any real work in. I have tried working him at home in them but could definatley feel a difference in his gaits. I also have easy boots for him but his hoof shape is such that the easyboots move around and come off easier. But many people have good luck with easyboots and if the shape is right they can be a great boot.

Beyond using hoof boots I have had a ton of success using Durasole to toughen up feet. I've used it on numerous horses to help get them comfortable going barefoot and have been very happy with the results.

Comment

After I move (old barn has lots of spiky gravel, new barn has almost no gravel), I'm considering pulling her front shoes (already barefoot behind). I'll keep an eye on this thread too

I've used Keratex and will start using it again once we move.

Also, you can call and talk to the Easy Boot people. They gave me a lot of advice before, but I decided I'd rather leave the front shoes on with the amount of gravel she has to walk on between her pasture and the barn.
              Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Comment

Easyboot gloves, especially if you're going to be cantering and jumping. Wouldn't even consider anything else. The Cavallos linked above look way too bulky for serious work. Remember that you really don't want to be adding a lot of bulk (delays turnover) or weight to the foot.

You can glue on the gloves and leave them on as you would shoes, or you can put them on/take them off for each ride (you'll need the ones with the gaitors if you don't want to glue them on.)

I have been using them for over 2 months now because my mare needed more than barefoot and I don't have a farrier I trust to nail on without screwing her up. My trimmer guy came out and fit her for the gloves, showed me how to put them on and take them off (a small rubber mallet helps a LOT to get them properly seated in the beginning) and sold me the boots.

He's coming out tomorrow to put the glue-ons on her. She's been doing just fine with the other version, but he recently went to a clinic and thinks Dove will be an excellent candidate for the glue-ons, so he's using her as a guinea pig and only charging me cost. I'm not one to turn down something like that, and it will be interesting to see what sort of gains we make in her feet with them on full time.

Also, once you get size figured out, you can get KILLER deals on the Easy Care website, in their bargain bin:

(Hmmm...won't let me link directly to item, but gloves with gaitors start at page 5)

http://www.easycareinc.com/externallink.asp?C=XBAR

If you can find someone with experience to come out and fit them for you, that would likely be advisable. And far easier than sending boots back and forth once or twice while you try to get the right size, especially if you've never used them before and aren't quite sure just how they're supposed to fit.

Oh, and with regard to your question about wear--they wear very well. I was riding about 5 days/week, have recently dropped to 2-3 times a week (got a new job, still trying to work out riding schedule) and there's very little wear on the boots. My trimmer said my horse would likely grow OUT of the boot before she wore through the boot. She is a foot rehab project, so we see (and get excited about!) a lot of changes in the feet from cycle to cycle.

We will see how the wear is when she's got them on full time. That is an unknown to me at this point.
                Last edited by Simkie; May. 22, 2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I like Renegades!

Comment

Originally posted by LookmaNohands View Post
                    I like Renegades!
                    Hands down winner...Renegades! They are super easy to put on and take off and best yet comfortable for the horse with no rubbing.

http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/

Comment

I've looked at the renegades before. I'll have to check their site again, but does anyone know their return policy? One of the things I liked about the easy boots was how willing they are to work with you to get the right model and size.

Can you jump in renegades?
                      Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Comment

If you go with the gloves I concur with Simkie that you need a professional fitter. Mine ended up 2 sizes less than based on his hoof measurements. They have to fit very snug to stay on. I like the Cavallo boots (simple and sport), but the renegades intrigue me (if I didn't have about 8 pairs of boots I would order some!).

All that being said, it might pay to have x-rays done of his feet to see if he has sufficient sole depth to be truly comfortable bare foot.

Comment

thumbs up for jumping with Renegades

emirae1091,

I just did 2 pace events and a hunt in Renegades and had a lovely time jumping. I don't like anything (boots, shoes, barefoot) on wet grass/roots but that's my "general" aversion, nothing to do with Renegades.

I love Renegades (I really ought to do an ad for them).

I have cranky wrists and sometimes none-functioning fingers and I can manage them.

Comment

Noted! Thanks

I emailed them to ask about their return policy. My main problem is that I'll need more than one size... One for the fronts when the shoes are freshly pulled and therefore they're just 'shaped' and going to be a bit long, and then a smaller size (probably the next farrier visit!) once she's been barefoot for a bit and worn some foot off and can actually be trimmed.

Fortunately for me she channels the Holsteiner side and NOT the TB side when it comes to feet.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP! I didn't think a separate one was necessary, but didn't mean to derail yours.

Comment

I have renegades for my mare and just bought cavello simple boots for the gelding. We just do trail stuff, so... I like the renegades, the cavellos aren't here yet, but looking forward to trying them. Everybody around here seems to like them. The easyboots did not stay on my mare, but then she has weird feet. The glove ones sound interesting.

Comment

Renegade will let you try them out and return if they don't fit, even if they've been used. They're super helpful in fitting, and since the boots are modular, there are lots of adjustments you can do to get a good fit (longer or shorter cables, larger or smaller heel captivators, cutting back the sole of the boot for round hooves, etc). I would suggest calling first vs emailing, you'll get a faster response, then you can email them detailed hoof photos for fitting advice.
                                RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Comment

Awesome! I'll give them a call later. The issue, like I said, is that she'll change sizes going from freshly pulled shoes and shaped but not trimmed to later on when they wear down and get actually trimmed.

I wish they had a rent a boot program.

Comment

I agree with someone above who said Easyboot Gloves for faster work and particularly jumping. They are the best boots I've used to date and much prefer them to the kind that come up over the coronet band. They are much less likely to rub, very lightweight, and stay on very well. Easycare has a 30 day return policy that is hard to beat.

I have used Renegades but I like the Gloves better for traction but see many who prefer the Renegades. I do believe either of the two boots are the way to go and definitely avoid the types that come up over the coronet.

Comment

Working...
                                    X