• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can I leave boots on all night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I leave boots on all night?

After green bean knocked himself badly and caused an awful splint I cant help but worry about his legs being protected while turned out. Towards the end of rehab when he started to be turned out regularly for a few hours a day he was booted up and turned out and I felt really good about it. Now he is on 10-12 hours turn out nightly. Turned out right as the sun is going down and brought in normally around 7am ( bugs). Can I leave boots on that long? I use Woof boots that are not stretchy so they cant be put on too tight.. but I do worry about wrapping bow. He is a very leggy youngster that always finds a way to hurt himself. Any other suggestions? This is the only turn out schedule that will work at this time...
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

All things considered, I would not boot a horse (other than bell boots for a shoe puller) for turnout unless it was for a very short period of time and then only the lightest of boots.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

deltawave is right, no boots for turnout or for that long.
      Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

When we get home from shows, the horses are already poulticed and wrapped with pillows and standing wraps, we go ahead and turn them out for the night with their legs wrapped and feet packed. But it's for that night alone.

Comment

I have a client that insists her horse goes out with 4 boots for turnout. This time of year that means he's in them 12-15 hours!!! It freaks me out and I would prefer not to do it...too many risks, not to mention the serious skin funk potential.

Now, I do have to some times turn my horse out in boots over the cooler months, and when I switched him to night time a couple of months ago, I actually turned him out in his boots, then went out a couple of hours later and pulled them off. THAT worked well because he was able to bounce around and act like a fruitloop for awhile when he first went out, and I was able to pull the boots once he settled. This might work for you, especially if your guy is silly early on, then settles after awhile. (Obviously, someone has to be around to do it...my guy's pasture is beside my house, so I just slipped out after dinner!).
          Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

He is turned out alone and in a grassy paddock... no mud so I'm not worried about funk getting underneath. He also isnt silly when turned out... rolls.. goes straight to hay for a few bites.. water.. then back to hay. He is surrounded by two other pastures with six horses so he feels like he is in a herd so isnt worried about being alone. I can count on one hand how many times i have seen skid marks or turned up grass in his paddock that indicates he had been galloping or turning fast.. not sure why or when. I just dont want him to hurt himself again. I wish there were some type of long term turn out wraps that were safe. Something with ventilation and non-stretch that wouldnt upset the tendon in the front...or the back. ugh.

Comment

Another vote for no boots on during turnout. Too many risks and I can only imagine the skin issues that could arise should boots be worn for numerous hours.

You say your horse is a leggy youngster- I know what it's like to own a young horse that comes in with bumps and scraps. Frustrating and a little nerve racking. But consider this: once while watching a jump lesson, the horse being ridden kept taking down rails. The trainer finally told the rider to take off the horse's boots and ride him right up to the jumps. Well she did, and after a couple more rails, that horse realized, "hey, this hurts!" and started to pick up his feet. Your youngster is learning where his feet are. Granted, it's not reassuring when he gave himself a splint, but my opinion is that if you were to keep him booted, he'll continue to be lazy. Some horses have conformation issues that causes overreaching, interfering etc. but if this isn't the case, let your horse be a horse and knock himself a few times and he'll learn to watch where he places his legs and hooves.

Comment

Originally posted by WARDen View Post
                He is turned out alone and in a grassy paddock... no mud so I'm not worried about funk getting underneath.
                It's not necessarily the mud or other stuff getting underneath, its the humidity alone that could CAUSE skin funk under the boots (like a fungus, bacteria, scratches, etc).

He also isnt silly when turned out... rolls.. goes straight to hay for a few bites.. water.. then back to hay. He is surrounded by two other pastures with six horses so he feels like he is in a herd so isnt worried about being alone. I can count on one hand how many times i have seen skid marks or turned up grass in his paddock that indicates he had been galloping or turning fast.. not sure why or when.
                Then why the need to worry about putting boots on him for protection? Your post above indicates that he doesn't do anything alarming in turnout.
                "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Another vote for no boots for turnout. In most cases they do more harm than good.
                  Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                  Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                  "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

• Original Poster

SuckerForHorses

... because in turn out was when he developed his first awful splint and I dont want to deal with another surgery. He doesnt have to be acting crazy to knock himself. He pulls his bell boots off in the crossties all the time just by stepping on his own feet. He is also really hard on his legs when rolling... just collapses his legs on each other and it makes me cringe. I can't keep him from being a horse, I know that, but I am curious as to how I can keep him safe from harming himself again.

HorsePlay

.... I wish I could do that with this guy but honestly by the time he would realize where his feet are or grew into them he will be retired with injuries and with both splint bones removed.

Comment

What about something like BOT quick wraps? They're not sturdy, and only about as protective as a polo, but its something. A bit more breathable than boots I'd imagine.

I have an oldster who lives out 24/7 and benefits from BOT wraps on his legs in the cold arthritic months. He wears them 20hrs straight as he ambles around his paddock.

They do get funky though just from general body heat and dampness, and that is in the colder months. I have never tried in hot humid months, might be too much now that I think on it.

I have 3 pairs that I rotate through so each set gets to air out for 2 days before being called back into duty.

They also wick ambient moisture, so dewy grass would have them soaked in no time.
                      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                        It's not necessarily the mud or other stuff getting underneath, its the humidity alone that could CAUSE skin funk under the boots (like a fungus, bacteria, scratches, etc).

Then why the need to worry about putting boots on him for protection? Your post above indicates that he doesn't do anything alarming in turnout.
                        Honestly, I agree with all of this. If you had said he was a big dork and bounced around and acted like a maniac (Which my horse does! He caused a tendon injury by bashing into himself during hooliganism WHILE BEING LED TO THE FIELD), then I would understand. But, really, leaving boots on for more than a few hours just is a recipe for OTHER issues.

Really, I've been involved with a lot of young, gangly, clumsy kids and they DO grow out of it. And (I'm sure I'll eat my words) the chances that he'll bash himself so hard to cause a surgery inducing splint are probably slim. Especially if he's quiet.

Really, the BEST thing you can do for him is give him a safe environment to go in, give him a job (when he's ready, obviously) and let him learn where his body is. Keeping him bubble wrapped and sheltered isn't going to let that happen.
                        Amanda

Comment

Ours go out in boots, but only for 3 hours at a time. That said, I personally would try it and see how he reacts. You will have to be vigilant about checking for irritation and skin funk, and immediately discontinue use if you find something. However, neoprene wouldn't be my choice. I like these: http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/l...allsport_boot/

Comment

If his legs are protected all the time he may never learn to quit knocking himself.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

No boots for all the above reasons - it's too long of a time & too much can happen. I don't know of 1 manufacturer that would recommended their product under those circumstances. And what is the likelihood of a repeat injury? If he knocks himself that often, maybe you need to talk to your vet/farrier. I understand your concerns, but if you feel that strongly about the need for boots, then maybe he should only be going out for a few hours.

Comment

I dislike the idea of a horse being in boots all of the time for a whole host of reasons.

Not the least of which, as mentioned by deltawave, is the idea that he will "train" himself to be able to be even goofier in turnout because what used to hurt (and where he might typically draw the line in bashing himself) will now be protected. That sounds like the path to needing even more protective gear and eventually bubble wrap.

I'd rather my young horses figure out that doing something hurts immediately and hopefully learn a lesson from it.

I've had a lot of doofy young boys (I know mares can be goofy too, but I'm convinced that testosterone or some other male hormone is what makes boys of ALL species so reckless with their own bodies) and I know it can be terrifying to watch them act like idiots, but it's also something that you have to let them figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                  If his legs are protected all the time he may never learn to quit knocking himself.
                                  100% agreement from me. We never boot a horse in training aside from bell boots so they learn where their feet are and that bad steps can hurt. Most quickly learn where their feet should go and never see a boot unless conformation dictates use at speed.

Also, those boots build up a huge amount of heat, far higher than body temperature, heat that tendons are not meant to handle. Just stick a thermometer between the boot and leg if you don't believe me and make sure it is digital as the heat will blow the top off a regular glass tube.
                                  Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

I believe I read it in a Blythe Tait book, but he never turns horses out in boots (including his top level partners), because he WANTS them to learn where to put their feet. If that means a bang from time to time, so be it. I agree with this thought.
                                    Amanda

Comment

No, you can not.

Horse legs ain't meant for coverage for that long. Also dirt can get in and rub legs raw.

Take them off.

Comment

Oy. This makes me . This would not be my choice for my horse at all.

When we get home from shows, the horses are already poulticed and wrapped with pillows and standing wraps, we go ahead and turn them out for the night with their legs wrapped and feet packed. But it's for that night alone.
                                        According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X