• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Vet "too busy" ... calm me down before I call another vet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet "too busy" ... calm me down before I call another vet

OK, friends. I have called my vet but am getting blocked at the secretary who insists they are just "too busy" right now to get this horse in until Thursday at the earliest. Even when I requested a phone call from one of the three vets she acted like I was asking for the moon! We have a long-term relationship with these vets, always pay our bills, and usually the vets know if we call, it's important. As a rescue, we do a lot of our own vetting - and even when we do have to bring in a horse often act as the vet tech/assistant for the vet. This secretary is new, so I realize she probably doesn't know this, but I'm not used to getting the run around. When we call, it's serious. So ... a little upset, and while waiting for a phone call to reassure me that the horse CAN wait three days, thought I'd post here for some of that reassurance and/or ideas about what could be wrong. We're actually debating calling a different local vet at this point!

We have a horse who has been struggling for a little over a week now. Several times she has put her head down and massive amounts of drool comes out - usually clear, but there has been some white, some yellow/orange, etc. in it. She's moody and showing abnormal behavior - difficult to catch, refusing a halter and bridle/bit, bucked off a rider on mounting. Our farrier pointed out she was slightly dehydrated on Saturday. She's flinchy/sore pretty much all over. This is a horse we've suspected to have ulcers, so she is fed Tums every day, and lately she hasn't wanted them. When she does take them or any treats, she does stretch her neck way out. Today we noticed that she is cribbing/grabbing & pulling on the water trough, had moved it several feet from the fence, even though it has nearly 40 gallons of water in it. This horse has never cribbed. She's obviously depressed/lethargic, her eyes are red and "bloodshot", and she just LOOKS like a sick horse. Her breathing is becoming labored, and especially when she attempts to do any kind of work. She does not have ongoing nasal discharge or anything like that.

Our original thoughts were that because she was refusing/spitting out her Tums, that perhaps the suspected ulcer was flaring up. She has not been scoped. Our other thought was perhaps she has an inflamed tooth, but we haven't noticed any swelling or fever. At this point we suspect even a choke/obstruction, though we can't feel any obvious blockages and she's still able to eat and drink. We have been watching her like a hawk, observing her eat and drink, etc. We had decided yesterday to get her in to the vet this week, however today she just seems much worse with the cribbing/pulling, red eyes, and lethargy & breathing issue.

Am I missing something in thinking she needs to see a vet today? Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any thoughts as to what non-emergent thing could be going on that makes a secretary say "wait until Thursday" and not even willingly take a message to have a vet call back? And given all this, am I wrong to be upset with the secretary? Would you go ahead and call out another vet??

Our gut instincts say she needs to be seen today, and if I don't hear back from the vet in the next half hour we will likely be calling an alternate vet. Very disappointed with our clinic though, and I'm worried I'm letting those emotions factor into my decision making process.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

If it was my horse I would want the vet out, yes.

Be sure to let your regular vet know that their new secretary is making it difficult for you to schedule what you consider an emergency call.

Comment

• Original Poster

Also - this horse is suspected of having a metabolic issue and is scheduled for testing for thyroid and hormone tests this spring as well. I don't know if that could factor in. She's dry lotted and on grass hay, and with our winter she has yet to really be on any kind of grass.
      If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
      ~ Maya Angelou

Comment

I would be livid! Sounds to me like you need a vet out there ASAP. I understand vets are busy but at least one needs to be able to help out in emergency situations. I would consider calling another vet for this situation and then making sure your regular vet knows that the secretary is causing some issues for horse owners.

Comment

Do you have your vet's cell phone? If so, I'd call that. If not, I'd get another vet out there.

As an aside, any chance she has a partial blockage that is causing choke?

Comment

If you haven't already said this to her, I would call back and tell the secretary how you've had a long term relationship with this vet clinic, but will be calling another vet out for your horse (who needs to be seen sooner than Thursday!) if she doesn't at least put you in touch with one of the vets and get their opinion on when the horse needs to be seen. I would think that the threat of potential loss of long-term business would be enough to make her take some action, but who knows! Good luck!

Comment

Did she talk to one before she said they were too busy? Or did she just say they are too busy to talk to you? You know what I mean? Did you get to give her the symptoms so hopefully one of the vets will have a chance to hear what they are? I have to believe they will call you back. It sounds from your post that she isn't giving them the message?

They could be in surgery right now and unable to call back. Or a host of other issues could be going down. So, if it were an emergency, and I couldn't get a hold of my vet I would call a different vet. I don't think the vet would mind if it were an emergency after all, would they?

What kind of breathing issues? Only when worked? Why is she being ridden when ill? Or is "working" when she starts walking or what--how bad is the breathing. Is this an escalation of sickness just today?

I'm hoping you have a call back by now and this is water under the bridge.
              DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was also wondering about a partial blockage with choke. I would call my vet because i have his cell number but everyone, even newbies, at the clinic know my name lol. Man that's bad lol. I know my vet would at least come after hours if he couldn't make it during business hours. Do they have an emergency number you can call after they close and tell him what happened and that you need him to come out and maybe he will waive the emergency fee. Otherwise I'd call another vet and let my normal vet know later.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Original Poster

TrotTrot - no, I do not believe she had talked to any of the vets. 2 are out on farm calls and the other is in appointments all day - not surgery. I get that it's a busy time, I really do, and I am 100% NOT upset with the vets. I did finally get the secretary to say she would "try to have Dr. J" call me back. My sister originally called, gave symptoms, and got nowhere - the secretary wouldn't even take a message to have a vet call us back, just said she couldn't get us in until Thursday. She's home sick and this is one of her heart horses, so she called me in tears and asked me to take care of it. So I called, got the same person, and when I asked to have one of the vets just give me a call so I could review the symptoms and get some reassurance that waiting three days would be ok and/or tell us we are overreacting, got "didn't I just talk to your sister about this? The vets are in appointments and can't call you back."

These vets are fabulous, TTP knows this, and to me it's a HUGE betrayal on my part to call another vet and/or use their cell phone numbers. But I'm just so beyond shocked that I'm left feeling like I'm doing something wrong calling about what seems to me to be an emergency that I can't tell if I'm overreacting by doing either of those things. It's bad enough that I've already arranged to take off the rest of the day from work and take her in if I just get the word. BUT I'd be satisfied talking to a vet about the symptoms and getting a "it's probably ok to wait a couple days" or "yes, bring her in right away." I'd trust either answer from one of the vets. I don't trust it from a secretary who won't even ASK a vet before putting me off.

I'd have to ask my sister more about the breathing - I just know she described it as labored and "almost like someone with pneumonia - that wheezing type sound." She's just been a little off up until today. Nina was going to get on her bareback last week - she hadn't shown any symptoms for a couple of days, and got bucked off. This horse hasn't bucked in over 2 years. Then this weekend, while up at the stables for the farrier, we groomed her and tried lunging her to see how she was. We knew no riding because of her flinchiness/eating issues, but thought we'd see how she did lunging. The instant she trotted she started the labored breathing, so we stopped her. That's the extent of "being worked" and was the final straw in "ok, something is seriously wrong, let's get her in to the vet in the next week or so." I have a lame horse right now that we were going to schedule at the same time for this coming Saturday. It's only today, seeing the cribbing/red eyes/pulling the water trough out, serious depression/lethargy, that we feel like she needs to be seen NOW.

Still waiting on a call back, and I told my sister to go ahead and give the other main horse vet a call as well. I will call back before closing and honestly, if that doesn't get me through to a vet, they'll be getting an after hours call.
                  ~ Maya Angelou

Comment

Call the secretary, tell her that this is an emergent situation, and let her know that the wrath of god will fall upon her if she doesn't at least ask someone with veterinary training to triage the situation.
                    She has no business making such decisions based on a phone call.
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Or just call Dr. L. (or your vet of choice) and get someone out there, or at least get a vet opinion on the symptoms, and then call back and talk to one of the three when you have the chance. Dr. L. is pretty laid back and will tell you if you are over-reacting. I'm sorry that I don't have the other two's cell numbers to give you. But if it is an emergency then it is an emergency and you have to get something done now. I don't think it is a betrayal to call a different vet. I don't think they would think that either! I'm sure they have no idea what is going on.

I would follow up. I'm sure as a business owner they would like to know how these things are being handled. AND she maybe thinks she is doing the right thing--running interference. It is a staff training opportunity, regardless and I'm sure they would appreciate the information.

It does sound like an emergency (I wasn't trying to attack you for working a sick horse if it came accross that way--just didn't get what she was doing that was causing the labored breathing).

It sounds like a blockage to me.
                      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think I'd probably become rather alpha mare at this point. Not a horse but I had a cat at the vet once. Vet called and said she wasn't sure the cat would make it through the night. After I had a cry, I called and got the receptionist who I asked about coming to spend some time with the vet. Receptionist told me they were too busy and couldn't accommodate that. Next thing the receptionist knew, I was standing in their office (20 minute drive and I had to have someone take a meeting for me at work). I told her that if my cat was going to die that night then I was going to say goodbye. I spent about an hour with my cat who visibly improved while I stood there, came home two days later, and lived another 8 years. The receptionist never said no to me again.

So, I'd be insisting that the vet call me and, if REALLY not possible, I'd be on the phone with another vet. I applaud your loyalty though and I think the vet should as well.
                        Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

I'm thinking partial choke and you need a vet pronto.

I,too, would be AT the vet office, raising hell (with the secretary). I'd also let the vet know calmly. They don't take kindly to their staff making those decisions.
                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• Original Poster

I knew it wasn't an attack And yes, Dr. L is the one we are calling instead. I have all three cell phone numbers. The semi-humorous one is we kind of have a litmus test of our own based on the on-call vet. One vet is a friend as well, so if he's on call I'll usually still leave a message even if I'm not SURE it's an emergency. The other vet I'm a little more hesitant. The third vet (the female one) if she's the one on call I always KNOW it's an emergency to me, and not just a "I'm not sure if I need a vet" situation, if I still leave a message and ask for a call back. It's our own personal "is this an emergency" test. And she's the one who would be calling me back, and I still feel I need to talk to a vet, so to me, it's an emergency

And yeah - knowing how they do things I know the secretary is just running interference. I know her job is to keep the schedule flowing and not bother the vets. But there has to be some kind of recognition of what is a potential emergency and what isn't. I was very clear on the phone - I basically said everything I've said here, including the "we don't call the vet unless we feel it's an emergency."

Hopefully I hear back shortly, but meanwhile, we're calling Dr. L. And hopefully we at least get a "relax, it's ok to wait" call back. Last report from my sister is she is standing quietly and has stopped the cribbing/pulling. Our fear is that she's having breathing issues and not getting enough oxygen OR if there is a blockage that it will get worse as she eats.
                            ~ Maya Angelou

Comment

Well I found myself wondering over and over again why this mare was being asked to do any kind of "work" as you put it as she doesn't sound to be in any condition to be doing so but yes, I would call back and insist to at least talk to one of the vets and go elsewhere if that were denied.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

What color are the horses gums and what's the heart rate? You can check these yourself and report to the vet. Gums should be pale pink and heart rate should be 30-42 per min. You can feel the heart beat on the left side of the chest under the elbow, count beats for one minute.
                                Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

What Ghazzu said. And please keep us updated. Jingling from NC.
                                  Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sending my sister out to check the gums and heart rate now. I'll be home in about an hour to get eyes on her myself. Her last update is that her breathing is back to normal, she stopped cribbing/pulling, and she seems more relaxed. Still "blowing drool bubbles" however. We did check the gums for dehydration on Saturday after the farrier used the pinch test, since the tackiness and color of the gums is a better indicator.
                                    ~ Maya Angelou

Comment

When my vet got a new receptionist service I had a similar issue; in my case it turned out to be that they had not written my name down correctly and thus didn't realize I was a current client.

I find that I can maximize the use of the phone consult (and the message left) if I can be extremely specific - IE, rather than "breathing hard" if I say, "Respiration is 60 and the temperature is 103" it lends a whole different urgency to the situation and skips a lot of steps.

If your vets have email or if the condition is intermittent, some cell phone pictures may be helpful as well, just to get a sense of how things change or don't.

You haven't mentioned if you've taken this horse's temperature; I would definitely do that.
                                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I hope she is doing better and that you have heard from the vet by now.

45 years of owning animals has taught me that the owner (and the one paying the bills) decides what and when is an emergency......not some secretary or office manager.

Best Wishes

Comment

Working...
                                        X