• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Safe NSC % for horse with history of EGUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe NSC % for horse with history of EGUS

I have been searching for a high energy low NSC feed for ages and found nothing even remotely close to what I need.

Now I found one with the levels of energy my horse needs and an NSC of 11,8. Would you consider this safe for a horse with EGUS?
    Last edited by SCMSL; Apr. 26, 2013, 08:42 AM.
    www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

I don't know if there is any sort of standard for what's safe for those guys. I'd just go as low as you can.

What do you mean "high energy"? TC Sr is where I'd start, and that may be what you're listing there.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      I don't know if there is any sort of standard for what's safe for those guys. I'd just go as low as you can.

What do you mean "high energy"? TC Sr is where I'd start, and that may be what you're listing there.
      I cannot recall where, but a "suggestion" was to try to stick below 15% NSC for horses with gastric ulcer issues, cushings, and other metabolic stuff. I personally think 15 is a bit high for metabolic issues, but I can't recall where I saw that to reference....

When my mare had ulcers, she lost a ton of weight. Once we got her started on GastroGard, I introduced Triple Crown Senior (11.8% NSC) and she found it very palatable. It put the weight back on her and did not cause more stomach issues, she seemed very content while eating this feed and going thru the healing of her ulcers.

What brands are available to you? If the feed you found with 11.8% NSC is also meeting your horse's caloric needs, I wouldn't hesitate to give that feed a try.
      "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

I agree that 15 is a bit high for most metabolic horses, but IMHO, 15 is starting to get on the higher end of what most horses should have anyway (regardless of whether it causes immediate issues)

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          I agree that 15 is a bit high for most metabolic horses, but IMHO, 15 is starting to get on the higher end of what most horses should have anyway (regardless of whether it causes immediate issues)

Comment

• Original Poster

Not many brands available, and none you know.

This particular feed is 14,9 MJ/kg DE, 12,9% Protein and 11,8 NSC. She needs a lot of calories and protein to keep up with her work and general metabolism (which I swear, I would love to have myself). It looks pretty good, but I just wasn't sure on the NSC part.

Comment

Depends on what the hay is. If the hay is low NSC, you can get away with more of the relatively higher (but MUCH smaller volume) NSC of concentrates.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, the hay is out of my control, really. I had an analysis done on this batch but its the BO who chooses and orders it so the next one can be completely different. This is a complete feed though so I am hoping she'll eat more of what I am providing and have less "room" for the hay.

Comment

You want the horse to eat LESS hay? I don't understand your feeding ideas at all. Complete feeds are not REALLY meant to replace forage.

Comment

If the horse can physically eat hay, you should be providing that forage, not replacing it with a grain product, complete feed or not.

Comment

• Original Poster

She has hay ad lib. She can eat as much as she wants. However, hay isn't stellar so if the prefers to eat the complete feed instead of the hay, that's fine by me as at least that way I know she's getting the calories she needs.

Comment

What's the horse's BCS?
                        Is she underweight?
                        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I try to stay in the teens with NSC. There are a lot of options out there, really, but have you looked at the high-fat feeds? They will be higher in calories (energy) and lower in starch.

Healthy amounts of hay are still going to be necessary, and unless the BO is feeding a hay with the seed heads still attached, that should be something you're feeding.

I guess, to answer your original question, a feed with 11 percent NSC would be fine??
                          COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

Horse has history of ulcers and hind gut issues. Has a hard time keeping weight even when scoped clear and without hind gut symptoms.

We have already been feeding her a high fiber/high oil diet, but she is still underweight. This new feed has same amounts of fiber and oil but has more protein and energy (but since I am supplementing with alfalfa cubes, the overall protein intake will remain the same). I understand Alfalfa is good for ulcers and this new feed has quite a bit of that as well, so I am not concerned about taking her off the cubes.

Hay has seeds, is very dry and almost straw like. BO is considering changing to haylage, which would aggravate her digestive issues as it has a lower pH. I cannot bring my own hay.

Maybe this new feed could work, thank you for your input

Comment

Have you tried a ration balancer? You feed less of it since it is meant to balance hay/pasture diets, so the AMOUNT of NSC you feed is less, even though the percentage can be in the mid teens.

Purina has Enrich 32 which is 32% protein, 1500 calories per pound, and 14% NSC.

I am unfamiliar with ulcer diets, but I use this with success on my metabolic mare.

Comment

so if the prefers to eat the complete feed instead of the hay, that's fine by me as at least that way I know she's getting the calories she needs.
                                So you're going to provide it free choice?

I'm not sure I know many horses that would choose hay over grain, given the opportunity.

Comment

I have a horse with chronic ulcers due to delayed gastric empyting and NSC was never brought up...and I think I was informed, etc

Hay is the best thing for a horse, unfortunately, my horse cannot eat hay due to dge.

I do feed all my others, without egus, triple crown senior, and all the hay/pasture they want.
                                  My hard keepers get beet pulp, soaked alf cubes, plus tc sr and hay, and lots of it. I tend to feed good quality 2nd cut orchard.

With egus, you want the stomach constantly having food in it, thus why I feed my dge mare almost round the clock. yes, I have no life.

Please share where you read about egus and low NSC....?
                                  Cushings and metabolic, which I have two of those, I am careful about NSC, and they do not get alfalfa per the vets.
                                  my dge mare gets a ration balancer and alf pellets and hay stretcher pellets and year round grass. She is the one with ulcers, and on ulcergard daily. Never did a vet freak when they heard about the alf pellets. In fact, they said that was good for her ulcers. NSC was never brought up as to be an issue.
                                  HAY HAY HAY, for all, but my dge, she cannot digest it.
                                  save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

NSC is a fashionable villain for many maladies.

Comment

your hay sounds like maybe oat hay, which tends to have an NSC close to 22%
                                      I'd devote more time to finding a reliable source for quality hay, and working out some sort of agreement with the BO if you want to see some real changes.

Alfalfa is 9% NSC and 14% protein and is the main base of my horses' concentrate diets (one of which has PSSM AND is ulcer prone). I then incorporate a ration balancer (5% NSC, 32% protein), beet pulp (10% NSC, 7% protein), and veg oil (0% NSC)

This gives them plenty of protein, fat, and fiber, with below 10% NSC for their concentrates. Most true grass hays hover at around 13% NSC depending on when cut, and since hay makes up the largest portion of their diet, it's the most important to get right.
                                      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, it is oat hay, and even though I have been through this with the BO she won't allow me to bring in my own hay. So I have been trying to find other ways to feed her that will diminish her hay consumption - any horse can only eat a certain amount of food per day, so if given more alfalfa cubes, for example, she'll eat less hay.

She is, however, intolerant to beet. Oil can only go so far and she is already on a 15% oil diet, so I can't add any more.

I won't provide it free choice but almost - she is a very slow eater and usually has some of her night dose still uneaten in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                        X