• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pentosan, Legend or Adequan ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently, a fellow boarder found out about a study that Atlanta Equine Center is doing on Pentosan. They were looking for horses that have been on Adequan in the past to try Pentosan. They send you the pentosan to administer and you are required to provide information on your horses performance as compared to Adequan. My older horse has been on Adequan for years. She was accepted into the study and we have just started on the Pentosan loading dose (1 injection per week for 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks).

My vet had to approve the prescription (which she did after reviewing the study). I am very interested to see how my mare does on Pentosan vs. Adequan. I will post here to update as we go. She is 19 and is still happy to do her job. But she raced and then evented--so she has had plenty of mileage on her legs. Any support I can provide to make her a little less creaky is well worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by reay6790 View Post
      Will the vet prescribe PentAussie? I can get that from my vet, but she won't write a script for the compounded Pentosan PS.
      Yes, apparently--$65 a vial! I am toggling back and forth between this thread and her FB thread (am going to forward her this thread
      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
        And I have yet ANOTHER student whose vet will NOT prescribe it (for her older mare to make her more comfortable) nor are they willing to write a script for it. Argh!

And Adequan IS on back order, so is not an option...

Very, very frustrating. And yes, I think we--the general *we* of responsible horse owners--are well aware that there are "some risks" associated with any drug. The student who took her horse to Morven for a workup was prescribed a course of Bute for 2 weeks (as an anti-inflammatory--if it works, the horse and the owners can avoid doing an expensive bone scan for a MILD lameness.) I asked the vet whether the mare should also be on something "stomach buffering" during this course of Bute, and he said "no, not if her routine isn't changed and she gets plenty of forage" (she is out 24/7 on pasture.)

So there are ALWAYS potential side effect to be considered, but if the benefits outweigh the side effects, isn't it *usually* worth taking that small risk?

How many equine fatalities happen at BN/N level from bleeding out--as a result of (any) medication?

I'm just cranky because this is the third student of mine, who despite a reasonable need, has been unable to get Pentosan for their horse from the local vet. How is it that Morven Park (and my own vets, and other student's vets) have no problem with this?
        You can get it without a script at Horse Prerace.

Comment

Love Pentosan on older horses but tough to find at good price. Anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

Is it available or used for arthritic dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by slp2 View Post
              Recently, a fellow boarder found out about a study that Atlanta Equine Center is doing on Pentosan. They were looking for horses that have been on Adequan in the past to try Pentosan.
              This sounds really interesting. It looks like horses that have been on compounded Acetylglucosamine are also eligible. My horses aren't (either already on Pentosan or on nothing) but I'm going to pass it on to a couple of people I know.

I'm going to send you a PM asking how much they charge. I notice there is a Wedgewood bottle on their page. For others, here's the site -

http://www.atlantaequine.com/pages/a..._pentosan.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                Yes, apparently--$65 a vial! I am toggling back and forth between this thread and her FB thread (am going to forward her this thread
                I get my PentAussie from Allivet for $49 a vial
                "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  I think people are confusing RISKS with SIDE EFFECTS. A "side effect" is an unintended reaction or effect of a drug, like getting drowsy from an antihistamine when what you wanted was to stop sneezing. Even if they're common and predictable, they're still side (not the primary) effects of a drug.

RISKS are things like anaphylaxis or infection from the injection of a drug, etc. You could argue that bleeding would also be a "side effect" of a drug like Pentosan, as it is unintended but in the nature of the drug to produce bleeding.

In humans, where the drug is used oral, the most common side effects are nausea and diarrhea. But that may be unique to the oral formulation.
                  Deltawave, you're giving us some great info. Could you tell me what the side effects/risks of Adequan are as compared to Pentosan?

Comment

Adequan has a longer and more "available" track record of published data, and the side effect profile is pretty darn low. It is also (surprise!) a heparinoid, but its effect on the clotting system is much smaller. I couldn't give you a "how much smaller" off the top of my head, but probably in the range of . . . "much".

I'd wager the mechanical risks just from giving it (we're talking IM here) are the same and would have to do with pain, swelling, possible infection, etc.

And ANY drug has the outside chance of causing an anaphylactic reaction.

The product insert for Adequan would give a lot of detail. If one could track one down for Pentosan (Pentaussie probably comes with one, compounded drugs usually do not) then a direct side-by-side would be easy.

As an aside, just the fact that a drug can be gotten without a prescription doesn't make it "safe". Ibuprofen is a really, really dangerous drug for many people and you can buy it OTC, for example. Especially when thinking about embarking on a course of injectable meds, I cannot fathom just doing it without at least running it by a vet. I am fairly certain I have a minority opinion here in listening to how many people around our barn and on these forums think about and use pharmaceuticals.

Call me a conservative. (my political friends would bust a gut laughing)
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

My regular vet would not prescribe Pentosan because it is compounded. They would happily prescribe PentAussie. The PentAussie I could get from them was $55/12mL vial or $200 for a box of four 12mL vials.

I went with vet number two that thinks Pentosan is great and was happy to write me a prescription for it. This vet, by the way, spent a lot of time practicing in Australia and is VERY familiar with Pentosan.
                      Kanoe Godby
                      www.dyrkgodby.com
                      See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Comment

My regular vet would not prescribe Pentosan because it is compounded
                        I guess that's any practitioner's prerogative, but IMO the decision on whether to use a compounded drug is the OWNER's.

After reading some of the incredibly over-the-top "infomercial" type publications put out by the makers of "brand name" Pentosan recently, the 1% of me that harbors conspiracy theories is wondering if there is some sort of smear campaign going on with compounded drugs among vets, paid for by the brand-name drug makers.

Comment

I guess that's any practitioner's prerogative, but IMO the decision on whether to use a compounded drug is the OWNER's.

After reading some of the incredibly over-the-top "infomercial" type publications put out by the makers of "brand name" Pentosan recently, the 1% of me that harbors conspiracy theories is wondering if there is some sort of smear campaign going on with compounded drugs among vets, paid for by the brand-name drug makers.
                          Agree.
                          Kanoe Godby
                          www.dyrkgodby.com
                          See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Comment

You're right it is your decision but it's also the vets license when you turn around and sue the vet for a bad reaction from a compounded drug. That's what's messed up about the system.

Comment

Hmmmm. My husband (who is both wise *and* cynical) has mumbled something about "it surely having to do with money and drug companies", some way or another.

If so, what a shame...
                              "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

A medical practitioner typically does not lose their license if they are sued. Documentation of a discussion of risk vs. benefit means the vet would win a lawsuit (or it would never be brought) if an adverse reaction to a drug takes place, provided the drug is prescribed for a reasonable reason and dosed correctly. This goes for (legal) compounded drugs, as well. And although the veterinary community is far behind in the informed consent process, it is possible to have a dialogue with a client/patient about something like this even without reams of paper. It's called "communication", which any lawyer will tell you is the antidote to lawsuits.

If reasonable and appropriate care is being given, a bad outcome is not malpractice.

Comment

I've tried all three drugs on my two event horses, both with moderate hock arthritis. Best results by far with the pentosan, which I get from wedgewood.

Comment

A medical practitioner typically does not lose their license if they are sued. Documentation of a discussion of risk vs. benefit means the vet would win a lawsuit (or it would never be brought) if an adverse reaction to a drug takes place, provided the drug is prescribed for a reasonable reason and dosed correctly. This goes for (legal) compounded drugs, as well. And although the veterinary community is far behind in the informed consent process, it is possible to have a dialogue with a client/patient about something like this even without reams of paper. It's called "communication", which any lawyer will tell you is the antidote to lawsuits.

If reasonable and appropriate care is being given, a bad outcome is not malpractice.
                                    And how do you know this?

The vet is responsible for the drug that gets injected into the horse. Horse has a bad reaction and the vet is the one that goes to court. Vets are the ones held accountable for the compounded drugs.

Comment

Umm, I kind of practice medicine for a living. And have malpractice insurance.

A medical practitioner is responsible for following the standard of care, for diagnosing and treating appropriately, for addressing with patient/client the relevant risks and benefits when remedies or procedures are recommended, for doing procedures safely and correctly and for prescribing treatments correctly. This certainly can and does include the use of off-label or compounded drugs.

A horse that has an allergic reaction to (for instance) penicillin and dies does NOT represent a case of malpractice, provided the penicillin was prescribed for an appropriate reason and dosed correctly in an animal not known to be allergic.
                                      If a vet was on the scene and failed to attempt to treat the anaphylaxis that would be a different story, but if the treatment was attempted but the horse still died, or if the owner was giving the injection--no malpractice.

Yes, vets are accountable for all treatments recommended, including compounded drugs. But if a client gives consent for the use of the compounded drug after an appropriate discussion of the risk, benefit, alternatives, then (provided this is documented somewhere) there is no malpractice, even if something adverse happens.

This wouldn't prevent an angry or litigious owner from threatening a vet, but cases like this never make it past the first phone call to an attorney. Bad outcome =/= malpractice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffani B View Post
                                        Thank you. I am ordering and going to try. The shipping seemed reasonable so I will give it a go. Wish they had the bigger 50ml bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffani B View Post
                                          Yes, thank you for the tip!

I wish I'd read this thread before ordering Adequan. It is back ordered but is supposed to ship out on May 5, so not too bad. And I got a pretty good deal on it (all things considered): $248 for 6 doses. But the Pentosan is definitely cheaper even on HorsePrerace, ($210 for 6 doses).
                                          Still, if my mare does not do as well on the Adequan as she did in the past, I'll ask my vet for a script for Pentosan and if they don't want to, well, I know where to go.
                                          So, again, thanks Tiffany.
                                          Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Working...
                                          X