• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Switching to free choice hay...anything I need to know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to free choice hay...anything I need to know?

For as long as I've owned a horse, I've used a full board facility where horses are fed a set amount of hay twice a day. I've always paid extra so I could also give my horse an extra flake after riding or when I came to groom.
    Now my situation has changed, and I'm in a rather nice low key rough board barn. There are only a few of us, and we share feeding and chores. Each horse has their own individual turnout paddock, in sight and within nose reach of the others. Now I'm thinking that I'd like to switch the pony over to a free choice situation with her hay.
    But here are my questions:
    how do I make the switch?
    Do I just stick a full bale of hay into her feeder and let her go at it?
    Can a horse overeat hay?
    Should I expect my hay consumption to go up initially, and then level off once the excitement of all-you-can eat buffet wears off?

Any help is appreciated!

I wouldn't expect any problem. Just stick the bale of hay there. You might have to monitor pony getting too fat though....

Comment

Small mesh hay nets!! Some horses may take an adjustment time to learn to eat the hay from these nets because they can only get a small amount at once. It will help prevent a lot of wasted hay and gives them a better chance of having hay constantly available depending on how much you put in the net.

There's a section on feeding hay this way on my website below. You have to scroll down a bit until you reach the section with the pictures of the haynets and the accompanying text.

http://thepitchforkchronicles.com/page2.php
      http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Horses cannot overeat grass-type hay (around here it's mostly prairie and brome) but your most likely issue is waste. The small mesh hay net is good for controlling waste because they can't pull out huge chunks, half of which falls on the ground only to be smushed and ruined! Free choice hay is definitely the best option for horses, in my opinion though!

Comment

Yes, definitely make sure you have a system to stop the pony from wasting hay, otherwise he'll just choose the best bits to eat and paw the rest around! Other than that, I think its a wonderful decision you are making.
          www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

Comment

Small hole hay net

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the hints! I had been using my own version of a small hole hay net....a cargo net from the back of an SUV. But I had not been thinking about the waste, so I will definitely plan to use some sort of net. We presently have large plastic tubs (4' x 4' x 3' tall) and the ponies don't pull much out of them. Maybe I can create a net that will lie on the hay in the tub.

Comment

If you have an air fern, they can get fat on an all you can eat buffet of just hay. I exercise several horses for different clients whose horses are on dry lots and the hay is weighed to ensure they get only what they can manage without getting too fat or foundering.

If you have decent pasture, pony will most likely not touch her hay if grass is available.

I would bump up her hay slowly to make sure she will eat that much. If she hoovers it and gains weight, a small hole hay net is a great option.

Comment

Hinderalla,

Does this move mean you have more access to trails?

Comment

Just feed a little more each day until there are leftovers. The key is to not feed so much that they waste it (small hole hay nets help here).

You will find the amount of hay that they consume changes with weather, work and how much grain you feed. In cold weather, the hay consumption can double. It's a constant balancing act between making sure they have enough and they aren't wasting too much

Comment

www.cinchchix.com - Their nets are da bomb. Lotsa sizes and VERY tough.
                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll look into some sort of slow feeder set up.

Jawa, I haven't actually moved, I'm at the same barn, but the barn manager and her horses and lesson program moved out, so the few of us who didn't want to move are staying on it a rough board situation. We do have access to trails, with some interruptions for things like seasonal river flooding (now) and the first few weeks of crop planting. But I hope to get her out more this summer.

PossumHorse, your advice lines up with what my vet just said...increase gradually until I reach a level that allows for some leftovers.

I'm excited about this. We don't have pasture, and I'm not sure pasture would work for my easy-keeper pony. But I've always hated the idea that she spends many hours each day without something to munch on...not for her figure, but for her digestive health. So I will be very happy if we can get to a point where she can wander over to her hay at will.

Comment

First cut vs. second

I don't know what you have agreed on for hay, but, while your horses might love free choice second cut, as others have said, just watch for them getting too fat. :-) Some people believe that first cut is healthier (less rich, lower calories), but other people are committed to the softer second-cut, especially if there are some seniors in the herd. See what works for you and your horses.

But I love feeding free choice hay, and find the horses seem so much less stressed about everything when they're not desperately awaiting the next installment of food because they ran out of hay four hours earlier.

Comment

Yes, we increase hay one flake per feeding until the horse is just nibbling at scraps at the next feeding time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Chocomare, you answered my next question before I asked it! I saw the Cinch Chix nets at Equine Affaire and I liked them at lot, but at the time wasn't able to put them to use. Two of the three equines at the barn are ponies, so overeating/overfeeding could be a concern, so I'll definitely order a cinchchix single bale net and use it to gradually increase her available hay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eilsel View Post
                                Horses cannot overeat grass-type hay
                                So not true. Some horses can get just plain obese on free choice grass type hay.

And some horses never slow down, there is no initial glutenous movement that then slows to a more normal eating rate. The constant eating until tick fat rate never ends.

Comment

Depends on the hay you are feeding. My horses will get huge on Timothy Grass and/or alfalfa free feeding....

What works for my situation is I free feed them Oat hay because it's not as tasty. I did have to put it in large water tubs to keep it off the ground because they decided it was a good potty. I give them a few flakes of alfalfa but not free feed that hay.

I tried the small hole hay nets and one of my horses was a master at getting it out quickly the other was a master of ripping it off the wall and destroying it.
                                  Live in the sunshine.
                                  Swim in the sea.
                                  Drink the wild air.

Comment

Free choice hay sounds great until you do it for a year or two and realize that your costs have gone way up, your paddocks are a mess from wasted hay, and your horses are obese. Especially if your horses are standing in individual paddocks and not running around and playing, they aren't burning off a lot of calories and may/will eat from boredom. Before you start putting lots of hay in front of your pony (pony=breed of horse, or pony=term of endearment?) get a body condition score, a fairly accurate weight, and figure out how many pounds of hay your pony actually needs per day. Then figure out how you can spread it out over the day so it feels like free choice.

My example of this: I bought two young horses who were a healthy weight and had not been on pasture or on free choice hay. I put them on mid/late summer pasture that year, followed by free choice hay through the winter. The first year went ok. Second year they came into spring plump, and got plumper on grass the next summer. Couldn't work it off with under saddle exercise, so they got fatter that winter and by spring, I had one who was on the verge of being laminitic. Changed their turnout situation to daytime pasture, night time drylot with minimal hay, and upped the exercise. Long story short, this winter I was finally able to get one of them into a situation where he gets a measured amount of hay, weighed daily and provided in small meals, and for the first time since I bought him he is a healthy weight. I know now that these guys just can't handle unlimited access to hay, even in winter, and truthfully most of the horses at our barn don't need it either. So watch your pony carefully. Laminitis is no fun.

Comment

Real pony?

If you are just being cute and calling a horse a pony then that is one thing but if you have an actual pony then you can't feed like that. Most real ponies won't stop eating if they have food in front of them and nothing to do. You can stretch out the feeding time with small hole haynets and still control the amount of hay they eat...though ponies figure out all the tricks to eating fast out of the nets. Real ponies, and many breeds of easy keeping horses as well, get into all kinds of metabolic issues when they are obese. Laminitis is the first problem and not one to mess around with. Many fat horses are a little laminitic. As you get into middle age there is Cushings and founder to consider. You need to think this through, talk to your vet, and know your horse. Not as many horses as you think can self manage their hay. PatO

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
                                        For as long as I've owned a horse, I've used a full board facility where horses are fed a set amount of hay twice a day. I've always paid extra so I could also give my horse an extra flake after riding or when I came to groom.
                                        Now my situation has changed, and I'm in a rather nice low key rough board barn. There are only a few of us, and we share feeding and chores. Each horse has their own individual turnout paddock, in sight and within nose reach of the others. Now I'm thinking that I'd like to switch the pony over to a free choice situation with her hay.
                                        But here are my questions:
                                        how do I make the switch?
                                        Do I just stick a full bale of hay into her feeder and let her go at it?
                                        Can a horse overeat hay?
                                        Should I expect my hay consumption to go up initially, and then level off once the excitement of all-you-can eat buffet wears off?

Any help is appreciated!
                                        I feed my horses "free choice" hay - as in there is always hay in front of them. BUT - & this may go against strict "free choice" principles - they MUST clean up all of the hay once a day. I don't mean every single little scrap, but I don't just arbitrarily throw bales on top of bales that are still perfectly good but just haven't been consumed yet. Thus I have little to no waste.

Comment

Working...
                                        X