• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse has lost his d@mn mind and I feel like...WEIRD (to me) UPDATE! #46

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vote is ulcers. Just finished another round of GG and my guy went from nerves and cow patties to normal fussy baby WB and good solid manure. Time before that, snorty and cow patties. Literally. It was nasty. Like, can't-even-scoop-with-a-manure-fork-out-of-the-arena nasty.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Just throwing this out there, you probably thought of this ages ago! But have you tested his testosterone levels? If he's a stud, well, that's the end of it, but if he's a gelding and something wasn't quite all the way... removed? He could be responding to mares going into heat in the spring.

This is also a possibility even if he's a 100% gelding. Some of them are just a bit studdish. If this is the case, handling him like a stud may help you deal with his behavior and gain new insight into teaching him manners (as this is a situation I would treat as behavioral... you've done all the medical checking and come up with nothing).

FWIW, there are a few geldings at my barn who get a bit "frisky" in the spring with the ladies at times... and sometimes even with their gentlemen friends. Handling them like studs keeps us from ever being surprised by this behavior. We know what to expect and how to react.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bluebuckets View Post
        Just throwing this out there, you probably thought of this ages ago! But have you tested his testosterone levels? If he's a stud, well, that's the end of it, but if he's a gelding and something wasn't quite all the way... removed? He could be responding to mares going into heat in the spring.

This is also a possibility even if he's a 100% gelding. Some of them are just a bit studdish. If this is the case, handling him like a stud may help you deal with his behavior and gain new insight into teaching him manners (as this is a situation I would treat as behavioral... you've done all the medical checking and come up with nothing).

FWIW, there are a few geldings at my barn who get a bit "frisky" in the spring with the ladies at times... and sometimes even with their gentlemen friends. Handling them like studs keeps us from ever being surprised by this behavior. We know what to expect and how to react.

Funny you post this. Vet has always joked that, "Well, maybe I left a little something." Before anyone gets all indignant about my vet's flippant attitude, he's my husband's dad and our relationship is pretty casual. The fact that he's always muscled up and fit, always confident and bossing herd mates around, always on the alert and seems to lose it to one degree or another every spring, along with consulting with another COTHer who's familiar with this bloodline, has already convinced me to give some depo a try. I might send some blood out for a testosterone titer just for curiosity's sake, but I doubt there's any tissue in there. But you never know, right?
        "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but last year around this time my mare started acting weird, but it only lasted about three or four days. She started pacing up and down the fence, sometimes at a walk, more often trotting and cantering. Then she would stop and stare at some spot in the distance. Sometimes she would call. She did this all. day. long. for days. She would stop to eat, but get right back to the anxious behavior as soon as she was done. I don't think she was in heat because she wasn't peeing, winking, or acting interested in her pasture buddy. The behavior resolved itself after a few days and she was completely normal. I started a thread about it and some people had had similar things happen with their horses and blamed it on Spring Fever.
          "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that I feel for you, my horse does almost the exact same thing every spring and usually in the fall to.
            I'm moving him to a different barn that is more of a show barn where he wont be turned out 24/7 and where he will be worked more, hoping that will help but I have no idea...
            Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
            https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Comment

I wouldn't rule out just plain old Spring fever. My younger mare gets it every year but has a mutant, virulent, hopefully-not-contagious strain this year I just hope it runs it's course quickly. It seems to be everywhere. I was riding my trainer's schoolmaster mare at her barn yesterday surrounded by screaming geldings.

Comment

My vote is for change in herd dynamics and spring fever. How good is the grass in his pasture? If it's in good shape that stuff can be just like green kryptonite in April and May.

When my horse gets the spring runs he gets Probios.

Since your horse never gets tired he's a likely candidate for the X factor: http://www.sport-horse-breeder.com/large-heart.html

http://thevaulthorseracing.wordpress...of-x-part-two/

Your horse is bound to have some TB blood and so could very well have it.

Comment

Big dose of Depo is the first thing I would do, followed up by a month or two of the Pop rocks...
                  Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

Didn't read everybody's posts but OP, I feel for you!

Have you tried adding bicarb to his diet? It sorted my horse's stinky wet poos in a couple of days, and she had a completely mind change in less than a week. Mind you she was already on GG, probiotics, alfalfa, and anything else you might think of to help with tummy issues.

I read someone suggested Equishure, which is literally bicarb, oil and a binding agent to keep them in a powder/dry form. So I would add the bicarb by itself and see if it helps.

Also, why not test his poo to see if he has any resistant parasites? It could cause the ulcers, discomfort, weight loss and pretty much everything else you described...
                    www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

Comment

Originally posted by SCMSL View Post
                      Didn't read everybody's posts but OP, I feel for you!

Have you tried adding bicarb to his diet? It sorted my horse's stinky wet poos in a couple of days, and she had a completely mind change in less than a week. Mind you she was already on GG, probiotics, alfalfa, and anything else you might think of to help with tummy issues.

I read someone suggested Equishure, which is literally bicarb, oil and a binding agent to keep them in a powder/dry form. So I would add the bicarb by itself and see if it helps.

Also, why not test his poo to see if he has any resistant parasites? It could cause the ulcers, discomfort, weight loss and pretty much everything else you described...
                      On the bicarb - Equishure says their product is time released. Not sure if that makes a difference in benefit to the hind gut or not. But if yours works without it - then maybe it need not be time release.
                      from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

To give enough bicarb to survive the neutralization and transit through the small intestine without it being "all gone" by the time it reaches the hindgut would definitely require an enteric coating or some form of protection.

Otherwise one is basically "milkshaking" their horse.
                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

You need a good vet. Any sudden changes in behavior and eating requires a vet who will do a full spectrum of tests.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies. Horse is on GG and ranitidine and getting Probios and Proviable. I don't know much about the Proviable, but I have a ton of free samples from the Nutramax rep and it's more of a yeast product, whereas the Probios is more of a bacterial preparation, so I thought I'd see how they work together. May be overkill, but the Proviable was free and will just expire and be useless if I don't try it out.

I probably won't add bicarb on top of all of that for a few reasons, but the main reason is that this guy won't eat ANYTHING in his feed. If he so much as smells something a little off I think he immediately assumes that someone is trying to poison Himself and he's not having any of it. All his current meds and probiotics are given by syringe, which is the only way to get "suspicious substances" into him. And, while he's very good about letting me forcefully poison him, he has a bit of an opinion about letting others do the same. Rather than have a cranky barn staff, I really try to limit his meds to twice a day whenever possible so that I can do it myself or arrange in advance to have the BO do it if necessary. He's also very good for the BO, who's around for most feedings, but not all. I guess what I'm getting at, in an awkward way, is that there's no simple way to add something like bicarb to his feed and I'm already syringing the hell out of an already stressed out horse. And, as Delta said, in the proper quantity, I can't imagine how I'd get it in him before he'd start frothing at the mouth!

In the Air, he'll be getting a nice, healthy dose of depo this evening. It's not something I'm happy about doing, but if it makes him happier and safer, so be it. I know he's not enjoying the way he's feeling right now. He's a bundle of nerves and just seems "angsty", to coin a word. If it's a hormonal thing, the depo might be very welcome indeed from his point of view.

Shezabrazenmare, I have a few good vets. All are involved and are on board with current treatments. But one thing I would LOVE to find is a good Horsey Psychiatrist!
                            "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Comment

Originally posted by shezabrazenmare View Post
                              You need a good vet. Any sudden changes in behavior and eating requires a vet who will do a full spectrum of tests.
                              What full spectrum of tests would you suggest? I think the OP has done a very thorough differential thus far and she's said repeatedly she has very good vets who help her.

Comment

Still on Equishure:

If you check the listed ingredients, there are only three.
                                - Monoglycerides: emulsofiers commonly used in the food industry to mix ingredients which normally wouldn't blend (for example water and oil).
                                - Sodium Bicarbonate.
                                - Hydrogenated vegetable oil: vegetable oil treated with hydrogen to saturate it, so it becomes a solid.

I fail so see how any of these could be protected, or act in a different way if you feed the oil and bicarb separately.
                                www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

Comment

I know when my IR horse gets too much grass/sugars, he gets bonkers, tense, unhappy, and turns into a giant PITA. About the same time his mind goes, he starts peeing vast quantities, soaks stalls, and turns his pen into a quagmire of nastiness.

If I catch this in the first few days, on goes his grazing muzzle, and said insanity and peeing goes down to a more normal level. I also supplement magnesium for him, it helps.

It's worth thinking about anyway....

Comment

I fail so see how any of these could be protected, or act in a different way if you feed the oil and bicarb separately.
                                    You fail to understand how drug and food labeling works, too.

It really sounds like you're trying very hard to justify just feeding oil and bicarbonate. Which is great if you want to neutralize stomach acid for a couple of hours. Just because the ingredient list does not list the inert ingredients that are used in the time-released formulation does not mean the product is just a bunch of bicarb and oil dumped in a box.

Active ingredients lists are not required to include inert substances that allow for timed release of a drug. These are usually a wax/insoluble fiber matrix and since they are inert and without any biological activity they don't "count" as ingredients.

Comment

It sounds to me like there is a major rearrangement of herd dynamics, and that causes tremendous stress when a horse doesn't know for sure where he ranks. He is worried. Because the hierarchy is not fully resolved, he may be worrying about being disciplined by a higher up. Too bad it can't go back to the way it was...is that a possibility? Oh... and alfalfa can make them pee a lot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by fairtheewell View Post
                                        It sounds to me like there is a major rearrangement of herd dynamics, and that causes tremendous stress when a horse doesn't know for sure where he ranks. He is worried. Because the hierarchy is not fully resolved, he may be worrying about being disciplined by a higher up. Too bad it can't go back to the way it was...is that a possibility? Oh... and alfalfa can make them pee a lot.
                                        This might be my thought as well, but there are no higher ups to discipline him. Never have been since he was a foal. This horse is the opposite of insecure in a turn out situation and with the recent status mix up, he was clearly still on top.
                                        I know about alfalfa and increased urination, but he wasn't getting any alfalfa when that started. I only added to replace the grain (cut him back to a handful) and to curb weight loss. His behavior is pretty studdish and, again, he's so not lacking in confidence. Didn't get the depo in him tonight because of time constraints with family in town, but I will for sure tomorrow.

Comment

No advice but chiming in since I'm having some similar issues with my mare. She has always come running over to me in the field, loves going on trails alone or with friends, rides in the arena wonderfully alone or with friends. In the past 2 weeks she has consistently run from me in the field and reared straight up on me twice on our way back from the arena. This is totally new behaviour and NOT acceptable. It took us over an hour to get back from the arena to the barn (normally a 4 minute walk) because she kept having massive fits, flinging herself around and once I got her stopped she would stamp her feet and throw her head up so high and powerfully in very quick successions that I feared at one point she might snap her neck. I sat as calm and quietly as possible and made her walk back and forth until she could handle it (sort of) but her brain was so fried there was really no learning going on at that point. Usually there is a little bit of spring sillies going on but nothing like this. It is exactly like riding a rocket that might explode at any time!

Comment

Working...
                                          X